Noel Monk book out 13th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry View Post
    Waiting for the Van Halen camp to say anything about anything...we'll all be waiting a long time.
    The Van Halen Social Media Team is all over it!

Comment

What I'm really hoping is for the author of Van Halen Rising (his name escapes me at the moment) to do another book focusing on 1979 through 1984. I think Van Halen Rising knocked it right out of the fucking park.
      Greg Renoff. When he recently did the lecture at Pasadena City College, he said that is going to do another Van Halen book, but I don't believe that it's going to be specifically detailing the 79-84 period...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Greg told me, he feels he would need the cooperation of the band, to accurately do a 79-84 book. He pretty much knows he's never going to get that kind of cooperation from these guys. Maybe someday. If anyone deserves it, Greg does. I'd love to see him get the exclusive to the real story of 79-84, from the band themselves.

This band is like the fucking mafia. You just don't break their circle of trust. You keep everything internal. Or you get a proverbial execution, or the need for witness protection. I'm getting the impression that Monk is breaking that circle of trust, with this book. Maybe he's of the age, and current relationship with the band, that he just doesn't give one fuck anymore. But depending on what he gives up in this book, he's going to be the first to do it. First someone that was inside the circle, to do it. That doesn't mean everything he's writing is truth, but it will be very interesting if he gives up anything controversial, whatsoever.

Comment

I dunno if Greg really NEEDS the cooperation of the band to write a really good 79-84 book, though: Van Halen Rising was fucking GREAT, and am I right in assuming he didn't have any authorization or cooperation from the band for that one? Not asking in a sardonic way, either...I presume he did the book without any of the band members talking directly to him. I mean, if Greg feels he DOES need said cooperation from the band for a 79-84 book in order for that to be comprehensive, then I suppose he does since he would be the one writing it. Personally, I think he'd be able to do a great 79-84 book if he were able to get people like Ed Anderson, Donn Landee, Ted Templeman and others along the lines of Rudy Leiren or Neil Zlozower to talk. Not to do a hit job on the band or (which is what I feel this upcoming Monk book will do) overexaggerate the sex, drugs and hedonism factor, but literally just talk honestly about what their perceptions of the behind the scenes activity were.

That was part of the brilliance of what Greg was able to pull off with Van Halen Rising. He fleshed out the factual skeleton of Van Halen's early years, and wrote a highly readable story that gave context and character to what I knew. Like, I knew Stone played bass in Van Halen before Mike Anthony. I didn't really know the story behind Stone's departure and Anthony's arrival.

I tend to think Monk doesn't have much of anything to lose in terms of betraying what happened with his tenure as Van Halen's manager, mostly because Monk hasn't (as far as I know) been active with the band for literally decades, since Monk walked/was fired when Roth left in 1985. Unless he had signed some non-disclosure agreement with the band, I don't think Monk's career (or anything else) is on the chopping block.

That's the problem with Van Halen and their silence: not talking about what people want to hear about leaves the door open for others to tell your story for you on their terms instead of yours. Same as all that CVH bootleg footage that's been floating around out there for decades: barring any legal ownership issues, why hasn't Van Halen restored that stuff and put it out there for sale? Not doing so left the door open for bootleggers to put low generation inferior versions of it out there, with not a nickel of it going to Van Halen's pockets.
          Last edited by Terry; 06-09-2017, 04:28 PM.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I presume he did the book without any of the band members talking directly to him.
            He interviewed Mike and Ted Templeman. He also provided a copy to Al via a friend, who relayed that Al enjoyed it.

I just don't know how good Greg could write a 79-84 book would be with more interview denials from the band, even for as good as VHR was.

But I think, just from reading a couple paragraphs of Monk's prologue at VHND (I'll read the rest after I get the book), that Monk's book is going to be pretty damn good as well.....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

I dunno if Greg really NEEDS the cooperation of the band to write a really good 79-84 book, though: Van Halen Rising was fucking GREAT, and am I right in assuming he didn't have any authorization or cooperation from the band for that one? Not asking in a sardonic way, either...I presume he did the book without any of the band members talking directly to him. I mean, if Greg feels he DOES need said cooperation from the band for a 79-84 book in order for that to be comprehensive, then I suppose he does since he would be the one writing it. Personally, I think he'd be able to do a great 79-84 book if he were able to get people like Ed Anderson, Donn Landee, Ted Templeman and others along the lines of Rudy Leiren or Neil Zlozower to talk. Not to do a hit job on the band or (which is what I feel this upcoming Monk book will do) overexaggerate the sex, drugs and hedonism factor, but literally just talk honestly about what their perceptions of the behind the scenes activity were.

That was part of the brilliance of what Greg was able to pull off with Van Halen Rising. He fleshed out the factual skeleton of Van Halen's early years, and wrote a highly readable story that gave context and character to what I knew. Like, I knew Stone played bass in Van Halen before Mike Anthony. I didn't really know the story behind Stone's departure and Anthony's arrival.

I tend to think Monk doesn't have much of anything to lose in terms of betraying what happened with his tenure as Van Halen's manager, mostly because Monk hasn't (as far as I know) been active with the band for literally decades, since Monk walked/was fired when Roth left in 1985. Unless he had signed some non-disclosure agreement with the band, I don't think Monk's career (or anything else) is on the chopping block.

That's the problem with Van Halen and their silence: not talking about what people want to hear about leaves the door open for others to tell your story for you on their terms instead of yours. Same as all that CVH bootleg footage that's been floating around out there for decades: barring any legal ownership issues, why hasn't Van Halen restored that stuff and put it out there for sale? Not doing so left the door open for bootleggers to put low generation inferior versions of it out there, with not a nickel of it going to Van Halen's pockets.
              I would prefer Greg himself chime in about his thoughts on a 79-84 book, and his feelings on the need or want of the bands cooperation.

In my opinion, what Greg did with Rising, was a lot different of an undertaking than 79-84 would be, simply because everything was out on front street during those days. There were just so many people to gather info from. 79-84 is a whole different matter. You'd have to get the cooperation of insiders, as at that point the circle got really tight. Unless you just want to rehash all the speculative stuff we've all already heard. As time and history have proven, that cooperation just isn't going to happen. I have been told there are indeed non-disclosures in some of, if not all, the employees of the band. The people that may not have non-disclosures, if there are any, sure don't seem too willing to break the trust of these guys. Truly rock and roll mafia type shit. I have personally seen photo's from a 1978 daytime show at the Bay City, Michigan High School. These photo's have never been made public. I have begged to post them here on the Roth Army, but no fucking way. The sense of betrayal is too strong. Think about it. There has been less reported about this band, from former employees, band members and associates, than virtually any other band in the history of rock music. This is by design.

As far as the bootlegs and stuff go. I just don't have any idea why they won't release any of the old live shows. I would say it is because they are so fucking stupid. However, they've been smart enough to keep most everything under wraps, for all these years. I don't know. I don't get it. They are cheating their most loyal fans. They put out that fucking ABORTION of a live show from the last tour, but won't give us an official release of the true mighty Van Halen. It is nothing short of dumbfounding.

Comment

I don't get it. They are cheating their most loyal fans. They put out that fucking ABORTION of a live show from the last tour, but won't give us an official release of the true mighty Van Halen. It is nothing short of dumbfounding.
                No...it's clever. As long as they can milk the fans with what the current line up brings to the table it would be fucking stupid to sell the silver from the glory days.

How could they come even close to this material? They know...and they won't compete with their own legend. They save that for a last big payday.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
                  No...it's clever. As long as they can milk the fans with what the current line up brings to the table it would be fucking stupid to sell the silver from the glory days.

How could they come even close to this material? They know...and they won't compete with their own legend. They save that for a last big payday.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
                  So they're content selling 100,000 copies of garbage, instead of selling a million copies of the good stuff? Yeah, genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
                    So they're content selling 100,000 copies of garbage, instead of selling a million copies of the good stuff? Yeah, genius.
                    They make millions from touring. The good stuff will be their final moneymaker.
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
                      They make millions from touring. The good stuff will be their final moneymaker.
                      Yeah, but that actually assumes that 'Van Halen' has a long-term plan.

Eddie, who in essence leads the band now, doesn't really strike me as the type of guy who has a plan.

Like, logically, what you said makes perfect sense to me.

In reality, this band has defied logic for over two decades now.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

From what Eddie had to say about the Tokyo Dome biz, Dave was the one pushing for that project to happen. Ed didn't give an impression to me in the couple of interviews he gave when that came out that it was something he felt strongly about one way or the other.

Ironic if true, because while the Van Halens sounded fine, Roth's vocals sounded...not great. On the one hand, I believe Ed when he says it was an actual live recording of the show without any re-recording done. And as far as purism goes, I actually commend that approach. Truth be told, I wouldn't have minded if Roth HAD re-recorded his entire vocal performance - line by line if necessary - although I guess it doesn't matter because while I listened to it a couple of times online I never bothered buying it. The first official Van Halen release with Dave on vocals that I didn't buy...ever.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I would prefer Greg himself chime in about his thoughts on a 79-84 book, and his feelings on the need or want of the bands cooperation.

In my opinion, what Greg did with Rising, was a lot different of an undertaking than 79-84 would be, simply because everything was out on front street during those days. There were just so many people to gather info from. 79-84 is a whole different matter. You'd have to get the cooperation of insiders, as at that point the circle got really tight. Unless you just want to rehash all the speculative stuff we've all already heard. As time and history have proven, that cooperation just isn't going to happen. I have been told there are indeed non-disclosures in some of, if not all, the employees of the band. The people that may not have non-disclosures, if there are any, sure don't seem too willing to break the trust of these guys. Truly rock and roll mafia type shit. I have personally seen photo's from a 1978 daytime show at the Bay City, Michigan High School. These photo's have never been made public. I have begged to post them here on the Roth Army, but no fucking way. The sense of betrayal is too strong. Think about it. There has been less reported about this band, from former employees, band members and associates, than virtually any other band in the history of rock music. This is by design.

As far as the bootlegs and stuff go. I just don't have any idea why they won't release any of the old live shows. I would say it is because they are so fucking stupid. However, they've been smart enough to keep most everything under wraps, for all these years. I don't know. I don't get it. They are cheating their most loyal fans. They put out that fucking ABORTION of a live show from the last tour, but won't give us an official release of the true mighty Van Halen. It is nothing short of dumbfounding.
                          What you were told about non-disclosures would make sense, because when you think about it, far as behind the scenes stuff goes, 79 to 84 remains mostly untold beyond the bare bones chronology and the few brief anecdotes from band members given in interviews during the time. Indeed, as you said, I also think this was by design.

Like, when Pete Angelus (ANOTHER guy one would want to talk to if putting an insider story of CVH together) would give interviews during 1985 to 1990 - usually in the service of whatever new Roth solo project was being rolled out at the time - I recall he was always very careful about what he said when the line of questioning would turn to Roth's split from Van Halen regarding the rest of the band. And I don't recall Angelus having given any fly-on-the-wall interviews putting a microscope to Roth's private life after Roth and Angelus parted ways as business/creative partners, either.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I can't tell you why, but for maybe twenty five years or so now every so often I'll sort of idly wonder about all that footage of all those old CVH shows. Super 8 footage, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, videotape. Far back as 1977, going through 1984. Some pro-shot. Some audience shot. Apparently Mike Anthony has a bunch of CVH live audio recordings at his house. Apparently Dave has all sorts of stuff in his personal collection. Professionally shot, full length shows of the Hide Your Sheep tour. All that 1983 South American stuff. It looks like some of the 1984 shows were filmed. Who knows what is kicking around Ed's home studio in 'The Vault'...every so often, something new leaks out...

Is all that stuff just held up in legal limbo over ownership rights and THAT is what is preventing any of it being released? Is it just that Ed doesn't WANT to put any of it out? Are there full length shows still hanging around in the possession of Warner Music Group? Is all this stuff just rotting away in film cans somewhere inside the Warner parent office, and perhaps nobody knows that stuff is even there anymore?

I mean, it IS nothing short of dumbfounding. By the time someone gets around to DOING something about it, there won't even BE a home video market to release it to. It'll have to be released on some online format, and will inevitably be leaked out just like ADKOT was: how many sales will be lost because people will just download it for free?

Again, why is it that seemingly I give more of a shit about this than anyone in Van Halen does?

Duh! Maybe because they lived it already!

Oh well! At least I can still buy a copy of...Live At The Tokyo Dome...ugh.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
                              I've got it pre-ordered....

Rock bios, especially those of the '70's/'80's bands, can tend to over-emphasize the sex/drugs/rock n' roll, rather than actual behind the scenes interaction with the band that true fans want to know.

I mean, it's been several years since I've read "The Dirt", but from what I recall, every other paragraph was "Nikki banged this chick on the backstage sofa" or "Vince did a line of coke off this chick's ass".... After a while, even that gets to be a bit much....
                              The really telling thing about 'The Dirt' was they did a chapter on each part of the bands career related by each individual band member and they were almost entirely different.

It's frightening how unreliable our memories are, throw in pretty dumb folk to start with plus masses of booze and drugs with the usual self serving nature of the genre and rock autobiographies are close to complete fiction. The only chance that an autobiography can be accurate is if the person kept a detailed honest diary at the time.

Comment

Someone on the internet who got a copy of Noel's book today is saying this is where VH got the idea for the wings logo from....Anyone recall seeing this before?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Full Bug; 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM.
                                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Working...
                                X