Thread: Jan Van Halen

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2012 @ 02:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Jan Van Halen

I would love to see the band play Big Bad Bill as a tribute to Ed and AL's Dad, and Wolf's Grandfather. That would be epic, they could pipe in Jan's part and have pictures as they play.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 6 users say thank you to vanshipman for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-07-2012),bantonelli (04-03-2012),IceCreamBlondie (03-29-2012),jhale667 (03-30-2012),katina (03-30-2012),SunisinuS (03-29-2012)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vanshipman View Post
    I would love to see the band play Big Bad Bill as a tribute to Ed and AL's Dad, and Wolf's Grandfather. That would be epic, they could pipe in Jan's part and have pictures as they play.
    Or as good as Wolfie is: Have them invite Mike to play while Wolfie plays Jan's part on Clarinet. Wolfie is actually a good player and sponge.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

katina (03-29-2012)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It seems that we are getting older.......

6. Thanked katina for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (03-30-2012)

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Or as good as Wolfie is: Have them invite Mike to play while Wolfie plays Jan's part on Clarinet. Wolfie is actually a good player and sponge.
    I'm not sure that Mike would be invited to participate in any "tributes" to Eddie's parents. Legend has it that Mike failing to appear at a funeral was one of the reasons he ended up on the outside looking in with the VH brothers.

8. Thanked fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (03-30-2012)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    I'm not sure that Mike would be invited to participate in any "tributes" to Eddie's parents. Legend has it that Mike failing to appear at a funeral was one of the reasons he ended up on the outside looking in with the VH brothers.

Yep.

Eddies Mom in fact. Even Dave reached out to give condolences and he wasn't even in the band. Yet Michael Anthony did not? I think that was when EVH finally said fuck this guy once & for all. I mean WTF? People should remember that when they say how loyal Michael was.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love Big Bad Bill!!!

You suffer from a color.
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-25-2012 @ 12:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Jan had great feel and melody. Just knowing how proud he was of his boys makes that song special. Thanks to Dave for bringing the angles that made the most powerful band fun and unpredictable.

12. Thanked Jenkins III for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (04-03-2012)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    I love Big Bad Bill!!!
    I guess that erases any doubts as to which team you're batting for, Cock...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2013 @ 12:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Most of us have probably read this at one time or an other but it's fun to revisit - This is from the Diver Down interview where Ed and Dave talked about each song on the album:

Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)

Dave: “I think it’s a great song. And there has been this thread winding its way through all of Van Halen’s music and all of our albums since beginning with ‘Ice Cream Man’. I played acoustic guitar and songs like this for quite a while before I ever joined Van Halen. It’s music. Why do I have to bang my head to every single song on every single album? I don’t think the audience has that much lack of creativity or imagination.”

Eddie: “It was Dave’s idea to do ‘Big Bad Bill’. He bought himself one of those Sanyo Walkman-type things with the FM-AM radio, and you can record off the radio if you like something you hear. He was up in his bedroom at his father’s house and he found that if he stood in a certain spot and pointed his antenna a certain way, he picked up this weird radio station in Louisville, Kentucky. He recorded ‘Big Bad Bill’ and played it to us, and we started laughing ourselves silly and going, ‘That is bad! Let’s do it!’ Dave suggested, ‘Hey, we can get your old man to play the clarinet.’ We said, ‘sure.’

“It’s so funny, because I couldn’t play the song for you right now. I had to read because there were so many chords, I just couldn’t remember it. So here’s my father to the left of me, sitting on a chair with a music stand in front of him, and I’m sitting next to him with sheet music in a stand. Mike was there, too, playing like an acoustic guitar bass – the kind they have in Mexican restaurants where they come up, play in front of your face, and aggravate you. We had a great time. It looked like an old ’30s or ’40s session. I used some thick Gibson hollowbody with f-holes. My father hadn’t played in a long time because he had lost his left-hand middle finger about ten years ago. He was nervous, and we told him, ‘Jan, just have a good time. We make mistakes! That’s what makes it real.’ I love what he did, but he was thinking back ten years ago when he was smokin’, playing jazz and stuff. He played exactly what we wanted.”

Dave: “I think when you hear Mr. Van Halen playing, you’ll have an idea it’s a shadow of where Eddie and Alex are now. There’s a sense of humor in there, a lot of technique and a whole lot of beer!”

http://www.vhnd.com/2010/03/31/dave-...ss-diver-down/

15. 2 users say thank you to mohican for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (04-03-2012),DLR'sCock (04-01-2012)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yep.

Eddies Mom in fact. Even Dave reached out to give condolences and he wasn't even in the band. Yet Michael Anthony did not? I think that was when EVH finally said fuck this guy once & for all. I mean WTF? People should remember that when they say how loyal Michael was.

That whole story just seems weird, and I'd love to see it officially confirmed or debunked. I mean, who doesn't offer condolences to their bandmate of 30 years when their parent dies, even if you're currently pissed at each other? From everything I've ever read seen or heard, Mike seems like too nice of a guy to have done that...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    ...on the outside looking in with the VH brothers.
    I totally dig your reference to the Red God wabo on peace man (throws dumb vagina goat)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mohican View Post

Eddie: “It was Dave’s idea to do ‘Big Bad Bill’. He bought himself one of those Sanyo Walkman-type things with the FM-AM radio, and you can record off the radio if you like something you hear. He was up in his bedroom at his father’s house and he found that if he stood in a certain spot and pointed his antenna a certain way, he picked up this weird radio station in Louisville, Kentucky. He recorded ‘Big Bad Bill’ and played it to us, and we started laughing ourselves silly and going, ‘That is bad! Let’s do it!’ Dave suggested, ‘Hey, we can get your old man to play the clarinet.’ We said, ‘sure.’
    But ever since the split Ed has hammered this album and especially the cover songs. He's a contradicting man. I think Diver Down is a very underrated album, totally unique there's nothing else quite like it.....
    And after Little Guitars comes this total 180!! Remember the first time you heard it? Guarantee you I smiled first time (doin' the dishes!)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    That whole story just seems weird, and I'd love to see it officially confirmed or debunked. I mean, who doesn't offer condolences to their bandmate of 30 years when their parent dies, even if you're currently pissed at each other? From everything I've ever read seen or heard, Mike seems like too nice of a guy to have done that...
    I firmly believe that whole story of Mike not offering condolences when Ed's mom passed is 120% pure fabrication that stemmed from these fan boards not any real life occurrence.

If there were any truth to it... she died at a time when the brothers were holed up in the bat cave and not talking to anyone during Ed's cancer/divorce era. From what I recall there wasn't even an obit in any of the So Cal newspapers. So her passing could have come and gone and no one but the immediate family knew. That can't be called a snub if public knowledge wasn't in play... On the flip side... there's not one shred or crumb of evidence that Dave even extended a kind word during this event. It's all urban internet legend until one of the players clarify...

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Agreed, jhale. I did preface it with "legend has it", so I'm not saying I totally buy into it.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I firmly believe that whole story of Mike not offering condolences when Ed's mom passed is 120% pure fabrication that stemmed from these fan boards not any real life occurrence... It's all urban internet legend until one of the players clarify...

I agree totally, Zahz...even though there's probably a rant or two from me on this topic somewhere on this board...blame that on first reaction and my own personal beliefs towards something like this...

25. Thanked Carmine for this KICKASS post:

fwacf (04-02-2012)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-29-2019 @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Wait for the book......I gotta feeling after the success of this tour and the lack luster of Chickenfeed,we may see a Mikey Book soon!

It Ain't VH Without DLR
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-04-2015 @ 10:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I was thinking the same thing recently...as a b-side or as part of a "mini-set" within their stage show...have Ed play his dad's part on guitar instead...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great fucking idea !! The only cover on that album they should have really done. Even though I like the album. People would love it that don't even know it.

Thread Information