• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Don Corleone
    Spot the odd country out

England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay.
    Is is England because none of the rest of them have bribed a Russian linesman in a final?

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Is is England because none of the rest of them have bribed a Russian linesman in a final?
      ha...A M E N to that!!!
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Don Corleone
        Veteran
        • May 2004

Hahaha - good answer but wrong. Incidentally it was England who accused Spain of bribing Russian refs - a move that single handily annoyed both Spanish and Russian FA's whilst simultaneously pretty much guaranteeing that the World Cup bid would be a waste of time.

No - the correct answer is of course Holland; the only team in that list to still be a Mc NoStars
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Winning it at home doesn't really count though, it's a huge advantage.

If Holland hosted it they would win.

Fuck if Scotland hosted it we would get to the second round...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The greatest of all time.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1upTEqUQao&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1upTEqUQao&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Music is a bit annoying...

Comment

• Don Corleone
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Ah, the infamous "Hand of God" goal. It's a shame that people particularly here still remember that, but forget his 2nd goal against England which has got to be one of the best goals scored at an international level
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Winning it at home doesn't really count though, it's a huge advantage.

If Holland hosted it they would win.

Fuck if Scotland hosted it we would get to the second round...
                like they did in 2000? they couldn't even win the fucking EC back then...
                Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Oops. Forgot that.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ah, the infamous "Hand of God" goal. It's a shame that people particularly here still remember that, but forget his 2nd goal against England which has got to be one of the best goals scored at an international level
                    I watched a couple of documetaries about him today.

I think I posted earlier that I find it a bit ridiculous that English commentators can't get over that goal especially since England got 2 penalties from diving against Argentina at the next 2 World Cups. His argument is that it was a prank that he got away with and why not given the situation?

The second thing he always gets shit about is for taking coke but to me he should never have been banned for that since it is a performance depreciating drug. I think that is hugely different from taking something like steroids. Maradona was the greatest footballer ever despite being a coke addict, imagine how good he could have been.

As far as the 'Oh will someone please think of the children' argument well that fails completely because

1) If you don't test him, who will know?
                    2) Kids can't afford coke
                    3) Would you want Van Halen to have been banned?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                      like they did in 2000? they couldn't even win the fucking EC back then...

Oof.

I hate to say it but they have almost definitely missed their last chance since in a few years time they will all have had to move since Holland will be under water.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

The greatest of all time.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1upTEqUQao&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1upTEqUQao&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Music is a bit annoying...
                        but...Maradonna never scored against THIS man...for brother Jero (especially the final, when you're finished with puking the life out of you)...with love...enjoy...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0w50T70ylY&amp;hl=de_DE&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0w50T70ylY&amp;hl=de_DE&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Music is cool...
                        Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Grant
                          Sniper
                          • Feb 2005

The second goal is indeed one of the best ever. However, sometimes when I watch it, as beautiful as it is and Maradona made it look so easy due to the lack of defence, the English players just appear to have been simply paralysed - that they just simply let him run all that way to the goal without making a decent enough tackle on him. I've heard Peter Shilton reckons it's an overrated goal for that very reason. English fans, of course, have generally always argued that he wouldn't of had the confidence to score that goal if Argentina weren't already 1-0 up.

Before he fucked the rest of his career up, Maradona could've probably made a good impact at the USA '94 tournament (more so than in that dreadful Italy '90 one) if he wasn't sent home packing after the drugs issue. He scored a pretty impressive goal in one of the group stage matches...but then when storming at the camera roaring like a wild animal with eyes bulging right out! lol

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Grant
                            The second goal is indeed one of the best ever. However, sometimes when I watch it, as beautiful as it is and Maradona made it look so easy due to the lack of defence, the English players just appear to have been simply paralysed - that they just simply let him run all that way to the goal without making a decent enough tackle on him. I've heard Peter Shilton reckons it's an overrated goal for that very reason. English fans, of course, have generally always argued that he wouldn't of had the confidence to score that goal if Argentina weren't already 1-0 up.
                            Firstly that wasn't the only time he ever did that kind of thing, he did incredible runs throughout his career.

Secondly Shilton has never given a decent answer how Maradona at 5'5" managed to out jump him at 6'1" even if both could use their hands.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                              but...Maradonna never scored against THIS man...for brother Jero (especially the final, when you're finished with puking the life out of you)...with love...enjoy...
                              Whatever... you can't compare a good defender to a god.

I bet you were skillful enough to walk up to Eddie Van Halen's amp and switch it off...

Comment

• Grant
                                Sniper
                                • Feb 2005

Secondly Shilton has never given a decent answer how Maradona at 5'5" managed to out jump him at 6'1" even if both could use their hands.
                                That doesn't surprise me, I'm sure Shilton would still be gobsmacked over that lol. But that's always been my questioning of how the ref could've even missed that by using that particular logic. I'd have to watch that "goal" again, but from what I remember I don't think Shilton was even jumping that high by that time, and he probably was on his way to collecting the ball before Maradona beat it to him by using his hand?

Comment

Working...