X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Most I've ever agreed with Trunk. Get the dancers to stop dancing at the chorus and sing then.

Yeah I get having the hot bims on stage as pseudo-strippers thing. But I've seen plenty of bands, like Pink Floyd, that had sexy background singers and they didn't have to gyrate and shake-it like white girls. Floyd's singers simply swayed back and forth or stood there, and sang great!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Another irony is Motley Crue are being blasted for miming, yet Motley Crue is one band that kinda needs pre-recorded tracks...outside of Tommy Lee and Mick Mars, well, the other two guys suck live. They always sucked live. Vince Neil has never been a good live singer and Nikki Sixx has never been a good bass player. That was true when I saw them in 1984 and was just as true as when I saw them in 2015.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Nikki Sixx auditioned for Quiet Riot in 1978 after their original bass player Kelly Garni quit the band. He didn't get the gig because he couldn't play the bass. Randy Rhoads tried to teach him, and it didn't work.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
            Another irony is Motley Crue are being blasted for miming, yet Motley Crue is one band that kinda needs pre-recorded tracks...outside of Tommy Lee and Mick Mars, well, the other two guys suck live. They always sucked live. Vince Neil has never been a good live singer and Nikki Sixx has never been a good bass player. That was true when I saw them in 1984 and was just as true as when I saw them in 2015.
            There has also been a reinvention of Mick Mars in the current media to be honest. At least in the circles I hung out in late 80s Mick Mars was a rung above CC Deville as just better than crap. In hindsight that was maybe a bit harsh and he came up with decent riffs but to me at least it's kind of weird that he is rated so highly as a musician by the young people.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

There has also been a reinvention of Mick Mars in the current media to be honest. At least in the circles I hung out in late 80s Mick Mars was a rung above CC Deville as just better than crap. In hindsight that was maybe a bit harsh and he came up with decent riffs but to me at least it's kind of weird that he is rated so highly as a musician by the young people.
              Yeah, Mars as a guitar player was...when me and my buds were learning to play in the early 80's, Mick Mars was someone we considered kinda lame. As you say, he came up with decent riffs. I liked the first two Crue albums well enough for what they were. Far as guitar solos go, Mars was the original Nigel Tufnel. I recall seeing Spinal Tap in the theater when it was released, which was shortly after Shout At The Devil was put out, and thinking when the Nigel Tufnel solo spot came onscreen that it sounded just like Mick Mars. Like, when we were learning how to play, we were trying to play stuff by Van Halen, or Rhoads, or DeMartini, or George Lynch or Malmsteen. Nobody was showing up to garage band practice and showing off a Mick Mars guitar solo.

Doubtless, Mars didn't give a shit then and doesn't now. C.C. DeVille was arguably slightly worse, although I do remember always thinking his solo in Talk Dirty To Me was perfect for the song, much like I always thought the Cavazo solo in Cum On Feel The Noize was perfect for that song.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah but to be fair I think some of the guitarists you mention that were fair-to-midline got better with age. Mick Mars/Deville were probably better players in 2005 than they were in 1985, because they actually started practicing...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Yeah but to be fair I think some of the guitarists you mention that were fair-to-midline got better with age. Mick Mars/Deville were probably better players in 2005 than they were in 1985, because they actually started practicing...
                  True I remember the day I saw CC play something I couldn't on YouTube it was disconcerting then I remembered he had at that point been a professional musician for over 20 years,

Another one to add to the list and it's funny the things you remember, is Tracii Guns. I distinctly remember sitting around with friends in the 1980s watching the official LA Guns live VHS commercially released live video and being amazed to see him play the riff to ATAL wrongly to a crowd of thousands. Not that he made a mistake - he just didn't know how to play it.

This as part of a nearly 7 MINUTE guitar solo spot!!??

The power of the internet and it wasn't a false memory you can relive it now. It's at around 39 minutes.

What was he thinking???????
                  Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-18-2023, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Far as guitar solos go, Mars was the original Nigel Tufnel. I recall seeing Spinal Tap in the theater when it was released, which was shortly after Shout At The Devil was put out, and thinking when the Nigel Tufnel solo spot came onscreen that it sounded just like Mick Mars.
                    For a while around about the time of Dr Feelgood he had a solo spot that was pure Spinal Tap where he had racks of guitars lying flat and attempted to play more than one at a time and they were all heavily distorted so it was obviously just a hellish mess.

It was fucking hilarious but I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I saw the Crue the first time at the 83 US Festival. I honestly thought who are these lame fucks? Sixx was on platform shoes, fake wigs and makeup. It was like a low budget KISS rip off. Anyways a few catchy songs and good at selling themselves as the bad boys of rock and roll. Now it’s drama, tracks and flab.
                      Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-18-2023, 08:32 PM.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Anyways Sixx lives near me. Supposedly he’s this outdoors guy but I doubt I will see him mountain climbing this summer.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          I saw the Crue the first time at the 83 US Festival. I honestly thought who are these lame fucks? Sixx was on platform shoes, fake wigs and makeup. It was like a low budget KISS rip off. Anyways a few catchy songs and good at selling themselves as the bad boys of rock and roll. Now it’s drama, tracks and flab.
                          I had a similar reaction when they first broke big in 1984 (I have no recollection of seeing the Crue's US Fest performance back in the day, because back at that time I only saw the Showtime cable tv movie channel broadcast of the US Fest which was edited to a few songs per each band), that of them being a sort of KISS rip-off. Rock rags back then would say they were ripping off KISS and Alice Cooper, although in early 1984 nobody gave much of a shit about Alice Cooper.

I liked 'em in 1984, though. I remember liking the Shout album, and then Elektra re-released the Too Fast For Love album after Shout was put out and I liked that one, too. Once Theater Of Pain came out, the band got a bit too glammy and safe and for me the music wasn't quite as good...overall I just didn't like what the band did post-Shout.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

True I remember the day I saw CC play something I couldn't on YouTube it was disconcerting then I remembered he had at that point been a professional musician for over 20 years,

Another one to add to the list and it's funny the things you remember, is Tracii Guns. I distinctly remember sitting around with friends in the 1980s watching the official LA Guns live VHS commercially released live video and being amazed to see him play the riff to ATAL wrongly to a crowd of thousands. Not that he made a mistake - he just didn't know how to play it.

This as part of a nearly 7 MINUTE guitar solo spot!!??

The power of the internet and it wasn't a false memory you can relive it now. It's at around 39 minutes.

What was he thinking???????
                            I recall someone posted a youtube clip (it might have been on this site, now that I think about it) from a Posion show in the early to mid 2000's when the original lineup had gotten back together and were starting to tour again...it was a CC solo spot, and it sounded so bad I was honestly surprised that even though the guy was never any great shakes in the 80s he had apparently gotten worse after 20 years of touring, performing and recording. Like Nickd said, one would think even someone who was a marginal player twenty years ago would have gotten better over the last couple decades by default just from playing regularly.

Mars sounded okay at the 2015 show I saw, but there were so many backing guitar tracks going on at that gig (thus when Mars bitches about what the Crue are doing live backing-track wise now that he's not in the band it's a bit hypocritical) it was kinda hard to tell...it looked and sounded like he was playing the solos live.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I had a similar reaction when they first broke big in 1984 (I have no recollection of seeing the Crue's US Fest performance back in the day, because back at that time I only saw the Showtime cable tv movie channel broadcast of the US Fest which was edited to a few songs per each band), that of them being a sort of KISS rip-off. Rock rags back then would say they were ripping off KISS and Alice Cooper, although in early 1984 nobody gave much of a shit about Alice Cooper.

I liked 'em in 1984, though. I remember liking the Shout album, and then Elektra re-released the Too Fast For Love album after Shout was put out and I liked that one, too. Once Theater Of Pain came out, the band got a bit too glammy and safe and for me the music wasn't quite as good...overall I just didn't like what the band did post-Shout.
                              I think the 83 US Festival was their first big show and boy was it big. That broke them out of being a LA club band.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Shit there was so much going on in the 80’s there was more to grab your interest than Motely Crue but they were good at selling the bad boy image. Alice Cooper just about drank himself to death and he was in pretty rough shape in the early 80’s. I have a lot of friends in Scottsdale. Alice and his wife are highly liked there. I watched Alice play a golf tournament back in the 90’s.

Comment

Working...