Thanks

No reunion tour

MICHAEL ANTHONY SAYS VAN HALEN REUNION ‘BROKE DOWN ON THEIR END’
    MATTHEW WILKENING
    April 9, 2019
    Ebet Roberts, Getty Images
    • SHARE ON TWITTER
    • SHARE ON FACEBOOK
    Michael Anthony confirmed he was approached by Van Halen's management about a possible reunion with the group, but said the conversation didn't get very far.
    "I was actually contacted by their management last October, to see if I would be interested in something," the band's former bassist told Howard Stern. "And that's basically as far as it went. I think they were trying to put something together on their end, management was, and something broke down on their end and the plug got pulled."
    He added that he would be interested in reuniting with Van Halen "if it was done the correct way. You know -- four guys up there just doing their thing."
    Anthony joined Van Halen in 1974 and played on all but one of their 12 studio albums. He has not performed with them since their disastrous 2004 reunion tour with Hagar. Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang has played bass with the group since 2007 and appears on their 2012 album A Different Kind of Truth.
    The bass player's longtime bandmate Sammy Hagar previously said that Anthony was approached by Van Halen's management last year about a potential reunion. Hagar noted he was "totally cool" with putting their current band the Circle aside to allow Anthony time for a Van Halen tour, but Anthony threw more water on the reunion rumors last month, noting that the tour was "not gonna happen."
    The debut album from Anthony and Hagar's newest band the Circle, Space Between, will be released on May 10. Their first single "Trust Fund Baby" was released back in January; a second, "Can't Hang," premiered earlier today.
    The band will launch a tour in support of the record on April 19 in Reno. You can get dates and ticket information at Hagar's website
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diamondclaudio View Post
    MICHAEL ANTHONY SAYS VAN HALEN REUNION ‘BROKE DOWN ON THEIR END’
    MATTHEW WILKENING
    April 9, 2019
    Ebet Roberts, Getty Images
    • SHARE ON TWITTER
    • SHARE ON FACEBOOK
    Michael Anthony confirmed he was approached by Van Halen's management about a possible reunion with the group, but said the conversation didn't get very far.
    "I was actually contacted by their management last October, to see if I would be interested in something," the band's former bassist told Howard Stern. "And that's basically as far as it went. I think they were trying to put something together on their end, management was, and something broke down on their end and the plug got pulled."
    He added that he would be interested in reuniting with Van Halen "if it was done the correct way. You know -- four guys up there just doing their thing."
    Anthony joined Van Halen in 1974 and played on all but one of their 12 studio albums. He has not performed with them since their disastrous 2004 reunion tour with Hagar. Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang has played bass with the group since 2007 and appears on their 2012 album A Different Kind of Truth.
    The bass player's longtime bandmate Sammy Hagar previously said that Anthony was approached by Van Halen's management last year about a potential reunion. Hagar noted he was "totally cool" with putting their current band the Circle aside to allow Anthony time for a Van Halen tour, but Anthony threw more water on the reunion rumors last month, noting that the tour was "not gonna happen."
    The debut album from Anthony and Hagar's newest band the Circle, Space Between, will be released on May 10. Their first single "Trust Fund Baby" was released back in January; a second, "Can't Hang," premiered earlier today.
    The band will launch a tour in support of the record on April 19 in Reno. You can get dates and ticket information at Hagar's website
    Well, perhaps Dave wanted Mike back for a full tour and Eddie didn't citing that he probably still wanted Wolf involved. Hence the rumour that Mike would only be a "guest" to do a few songs. That could be in reference to when Mike says "...if it was done the correct way...just four guys up their just doing their thing."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

There would be zero point in Sobolewski coming back as a "special guest". His best contribution to the band was his backing vocals, and you can't do that if you aren't on stage with the band.

Obviously Mikey still loves the music, and he's willing to jump on stage & play them with whomever asks, be it the Atomic Punks, whatever band he has with the Chedster, or random jam sessions like that John 5 thing the other night. Wolfie's clearly looking to start his own career, with the solo album & his association with the various Creed spinoff franchises. He should be encouraged to do so with Dad & Uncle Al's blessings and let Van Halen go on - for whatever purposes they still exist - as the authentic original lineup.

How many bands where the members are over 60 can still say all the original members are still alive? And how much longer will that be the case? Time to shit or get off the pot already.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Well, perhaps Dave wanted Mike back for a full tour and Eddie didn't citing that he probably still wanted Wolf involved. Hence the rumour that Mike would only be a "guest" to do a few songs. That could be in reference to when Mike says "...if it was done the correct way...just four guys up their just doing their thing."
    Sounds about right, at least in terms of Anthony not wanting to show up for some guest slot for a tune or two.

From what Anthony said to Stern, he's still up for a reunion if it's "done the correct way," which I take to be defined as defined as Roth, Eddie, Alex and Dave playing a full set. Should that be what Anthony meant, good for him if he has no interest in settling for less.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    There would be zero point in Sobolewski coming back as a "special guest". His best contribution to the band was his backing vocals, and you can't do that if you aren't on stage with the band.

Obviously Mikey still loves the music, and he's willing to jump on stage & play them with whomever asks, be it the Atomic Punks, whatever band he has with the Chedster, or random jam sessions like that John 5 thing the other night. Wolfie's clearly looking to start his own career, with the solo album & his association with the various Creed spinoff franchises. He should be encouraged to do so with Dad & Uncle Al's blessings and let Van Halen go on - for whatever purposes they still exist - as the authentic original lineup.

How many bands where the members are over 60 can still say all the original members are still alive? And how much longer will that be the case? Time to shit or get off the pot already.
    Well, that's assuming Wolfgang is actively standing in the way of a CVH reunion.

For starters, I tend to doubt such a reunion would have a long life anyway. Probably a single US tour of maybe 40 dates or so. Which would take 3 or 4 months. Surely Wolfgang could sit out a single tour of that length, because even he realizes there is more interest in seeing CVH reform than there is in another Van Halen Mach 4 tour, and - as you say - the rest of the band ain't getting any younger.

I think the time to shit or get off the pot has both already passed and, in an odd juxtaposition, isn't even applicable: Van Wolfgang proved to be lucrative. The band didn't NEED to get Anthony back in order to sell tickets for the last three tours with Roth. As to if interest in Van Wolfgang has waned to where the band NEEDS to get Anthony back as a drawing card, who knows? I mean, so nothing at all happens this year but next year...maybe? More wasted time from a group of guys who don't really have the time to waste, although they certainly act like they do. I mean, fuck me, who knows? They could all be solvent to the point where they don't need to work.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I wonder who can eat more Big Macs and drink more diet Cokes. Wolfgang or Trump?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Cheeto is known to buy his Big Macs in bulk.....

8. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Grit (04-11-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Ok. Trump can buy $3,000 worth of burgers and display them in the White House dining room on silver platters. My question is who can eat more? Wolfie or Burger Boy Trump?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'd buy tickets to the Van Halen Shit or get off the Pot™ tour... the name has a nice ring to it...

Let's take up donations and get some Shit or get off the Pot™ yard signs printed and hire someone in SoCal to put them in Ed, Al And Dave's front yards... facing inwards, obviously...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Where are his Happy Meal toys?

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 10:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I'd buy tickets to the Van Halen Shit or get off the Pot™ tour... the name has a nice ring to it...

Let's take up donations and get some Shit or get off the Pot™ yard signs printed and hire someone in SoCal to put them in Ed, Al And Dave's front yards... facing inwards, obviously...
    zAHZoO,, iN 2424 dA rOtH aRMy™ WiLL bE 20 yRS. oLD,, aN hOW MMMAnY nEW vh ALbuMS wiLL tHEY do bY tHEN??>

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LiSTeN uP!/! tHEy WiLL bE aLL dEAd iNNA yEeR!//!

How did I get here?
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil theStalker View Post
    zAHZoO,, iN 2424 dA rOtH aRMy™ WiLL bE 20 yRS. oLD,, aN hOW MMMAnY nEW vh ALbuMS wiLL tHEY do bY tHEN??>
    Actually this place turns 20 this year sometime I believe... January 2004 join dates you see are a result of some fuck-up due to too many consecutive nights of coke and ho's™ by the original Webbies. They had to rebuild the board from the bottom up... which also produced their only bastard love-child DiamondDavidLeeRoth.com... RIP... it was dark times in the Roth Galaxy...

16. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

High Life Man (04-28-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Actually this place turns 20 this year sometime I believe... January 2004 join dates you see are a result of some fuck-up due to too many consecutive nights of coke and ho's™ by the original Webbies. They had to rebuild the board from the bottom up... which also produced their only bastard love-child DiamondDavidLeeRoth.com... RIP... it was dark times in the Roth Galaxy...
    It started January 31st 1999 so I'm afraid we missed the 20th birthday - I guess we need to do something for the 25th if we are still here...

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just like VH missed their own 40th...

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It started January 31st 1999 so I'm afraid we missed the 20th birthday - I guess we need to do something for the 25th if we are still here...
    Good! because according to AOC the end will be 2031. There won't be a 32th anniversary.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    Good! because according to AOC the end will be 2031. There won't be a 32th anniversary.
    Ha! Ha! It used to be the right wing authoritarians that said we were toast if we didn’t follow what they said. Now it’s left wing authoritarians telling us we are toast unless we do as they say. Usually the solution to the problem is paying them more money. Ha! Ha!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Only for some people in America.

Everyone else in the world realizes it's the scientists telling us we are toast and the big fossil fuel corporations saying don't worry about it.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ah hell... let's just pick a date and throw a party! It's not like any of us nor the man the site is dedicated to needed much of an excuse to celebrate!!

23. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

conmee (05-10-2019)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sesh,

There's nuance to every history as you know. Sarge, Pojo, Brownsound, Hain, FORD, RB&W, Slawterhouse Bug, myself, and a collection of miscreants had been bouncing around the Interwebs since the Warner Brothers forum and Slawterhouse days in 1997. FORD and I got banned from the Warner Brothers site for bashing VHIII, and spent a fair amount of time on Slawterhouse bumping into many who would make names for themselves later in the online VH/DLR community.

I joined VHLinks on April 18, 2000 (assuming the dates are still correct on that site) on a recommendation from FORD. I think I was banned after my first or second post as I jumped right in following FORD's lead and bashing the hell out of all the sheep... it wasn't even that bad... but that was before I knew how sensitive Brett was (edit: sensitive to all the bullshit flying around, he had to keep the peace between a bunch of lunatics)... a couple messages back and forth and I was reinstated.

On May 7, 2000 Pojo, Brownsound, FORD voted me into EUAS or whatnot... I think it was along the lines of "You Dave or the Grave?" Yes? "Cool, you're in!" Etc.

August 15, 2000 - Sarge reaches out to me to let me know that he has recruited Hain as a webmaster and Pojo, Brownsound and asked if I'd join as a moderator (I was in the middle of my MBA program at the time and told Sarge I couldn't dedicate time as a webbie but would moderate until I finished school). So that's how it started with the classic webbie lineup. FORD was still running FORD COUNTRY on a separate site if I recall, and not sure if he came over immediately or sometime later.

August 17, 2000 - I posted a farewell to VHLinks saying Army would be my new permanent residence.

So..... why this drawn out history lesson?

Because although Sarge had Army up and running in 1999, it was kinda like Mammoth or Rat Salade... playing backyard BBQs and bar mitzvahs... once the original team finally got together, I'll say August 1, 2000 to make it a nice round date... that would be when things really kicked up for Army, there was a team, posting took off, Hardknockz and Hitch and WARF and other detritus joined, and it was off to the races.

Thus, still a chance to have a mid-summer celebration that aligns with modern history next year, more or less.

Icon®©℗
    Last edited by conmee; 05-10-2019 at 07:29 PM.

25. 2 users say thank you to conmee for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (05-11-2019),ZahZoo (05-11-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sarge also posted here that it was January 13th 1999.
    http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/conte...ebsite-Purpose

If we are talking nuances©®™ I don't think it really took off until 2001 when I started posting.

27. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (05-12-2019)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sarge also posted here that it was January 13th 1999.
    http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/conte...ebsite-Purpose

If we are talking nuances©®™ I don't think it really took off until 2001 when I started posting.
    I wasn’t disputing the 1999 start date, but the early version of this place was just a website with Sarge running around naked by himself wearing a tin foil hat. I don’t even think vBulletin and forums were up and running until sometime in 2000. Sarge and the webbies spent most of our time on VHLinks fighting the damn dirty lies of the U.F.F. aka Up Front Fanatics, a group of gay Sammy-loving sheep-screwing dorks over-inflating Van Hagar album sales, through the first half of 2000. It was when things got really polarizing at VHLinks in Summer 2000 and all us DLR supporters had had enough and made the jump to the Army permanently.

But if you want to hold to the “official” start date and dash the hopes of a 2020 celebration for the few remaining faithful, that’s your business. I just hope you can look yourself in the mirror every morning.

In other news... might be in London later this year. You still way the hell up there in Scapa Flow or whatnot? Might be too far out of the way for a friendly pint, no?

Icon®©℗

29. Thanked conmee for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (05-12-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hahahaha!

Keep in touch on the London thing, I'm not there that often these days with work but maybe I could engineer something...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Only for some people in America.

Everyone else in the world realizes it's the scientists telling us we are toast and the big fossil fuel corporations saying don't worry about it.
    Every end of the world prediction has been wrong. According to Al Gore we should have burned up by now. A lot of experts said Y2K was going to get us. I was in commercial real estate then and all the companies we leased to all wanted statements that our buildings were Y2K compliant and it was a huge pain in the ass to assure them all was well. Then of course we go into the new millennium and nothing happened. Then there was that 2012 nonsense.

The climate has always been changing. The Antartica ice covers ancient rain forrest. North Africa used to be green and lush. We used to have dinosaurs running around. They went. We will eventually go too. Oil gave us our modern lifestyle. It made life to where we have it so good, we can worry about climate change instead of being busy hunting or gathering our next meal. Even if we got off of oil we would have something else to worry about. Batteries would be the next problem. We are going to kill the earth with the waste from batteries or all those electric motors running is creating too much electromagnetic radiation. It's always something.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I was in commercial real estate then ...
    Well there you fucking go, you weren't working in IT at the time. I was and there were years of fucking work, millions of man hours which is why there wasn't a big problem although there were some.

In the same way you are not a climate scientist.

Your second paragraph is an argument that in the long term life on the planet won't end, most scientists would agree with that. That's not the issue, 99.4% of species that have ever lived on Earth have gone extinct - that is the norm. What we are talking about is how to avoid that happening to the humans or more likely just trying to avoid generations of fucking misery for billions.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well there you fucking go, you weren't working in IT at the time. I was and there were years of fucking work, millions of man hours which is why there wasn't a big problem although there were some.
    Yeah it's a pisser to hear people talk of Y2K as if it was some hoax that never materialized... literally millions of man hours for 3 years leading up to it. Millions of lines of code and every device with a CPU in it had to have patches installed and tested. Everything from the controls at a sewage pumping plant to the super-computers running the world's financial engines... Those of us in IT made it a non-event and it was a lot of fucking work!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It’s like ‘Yeah there was this thing called polio and all the scientists said it killed and crippled people but where is it now? Obviously they were just bullshitting about it.’

35. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (05-17-2019)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Those of us in IT made it a non-event and it was a lot of fucking work!
    Those of you in IT caused it so you fix it.

37. Thanked private parts for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (05-17-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah it's a pisser to hear people talk of Y2K as if it was some hoax that never materialized... literally millions of man hours for 3 years leading up to it. Millions of lines of code and every device with a CPU in it had to have patches installed and tested. Everything from the controls at a sewage pumping plant to the super-computers running the world's financial engines... Those of us in IT made it a non-event and it was a lot of fucking work!
    Maybe so but my god was there a lot of Y2K hype. But then the media loves to stir up fear.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

In the same way you are not a climate scientist.

Your second paragraph is an argument that in the long term life on the planet won't end, most scientists would agree with that. That's not the issue, 99.4% of species that have ever lived on Earth have gone extinct - that is the norm. What we are talking about is how to avoid that happening to the humans or more likely just trying to avoid generations of fucking misery for billions.
    You aren’t a climate scientist either. You are an Information Technology guy.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    Those of you in IT caused it so you fix it.
    Shhhh... well, yeah... we also got bonuses, promotions and awards. That's just visionary engineering...

Actually, most of the technology elements that forced the upgrades derived from simple and efficient use of available computing resources. Data didn't exist going back to the previous century so the math to calculate dates only required 2 fields. The turn of the century complicated it. No one foresaw the challenge until the need approached.

Good thing there's no tour so we can focus on these important issues of the day...

Oh look... a squirrel...

Thread Information