X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    Whoa! Hold on there Mr. Smarty Pants. While there is a good argument these 1/4 remasters are a disappointment in terms of their own histories by having a lack of liner notes, photos of the sessions, session documentation what-the-fuck-ever, you seem to overlook many bands who have such remasters done are powerless when it comes to their record label re-re-releasing them. In other terms, it becomes a financial issue, not a personal one of what the fans want. Besides, hiring musical historians to do the paperwork of finding such artifacts of the sessions cost money in paying those people, money to print them, and money to redesign the packaging. Few acts such as Schleppy have the money and clout to do this. Warner Brothers do not give a shit about a few releases that are over 30 years old nor will they ever. Eddie, Dave and even sister Alexia have zero say in this. They already singed the contracts years ago.

Now, as far as I understand, Eddie did have a hand in the sound of these remasters opting to weed out (huh huh, I said "weed") a lot of the studio gimmicky reverb and engineer flubs. There is a difference to them but to only the audiophile snob ear (such as my own because, you know, I don't listen to homoerotic white metal). The archaic studio technology of what, '78 - '84 can be better "processed" these days and times resulting in a crisp, not such a sterile reproduction. The VH 1 remaster contains no tape hiss, no mirror copy drop offs. Drums are more pronounced, vocals are bland but raw, and Eddie's guitar soars to where you can imagine him going all George Harrison and blistering his god damn fingers.

No doubt they are doodads and a marketing ploy but there also seems to be a demand for the original 6-pack in the manner they were meant to be heard by Eddie and, dare I say it, Ted Templeton intended for them to be. It's easy to blow them off and rightly so because so many remasters are shit, just fucking awful but I have a feeling more will be on the market seeing how the CD is a dinosaur and the 'biz' needs to do whatever it can to survive. The technology has finally caught up with the digital age so get fucking used to it.
    Since when did you become a musical/historical revisionist? Those of us (aka: true fans) are not talking "marketing ploys," we are merely seeking lost or forlorn treasure.

THAT would imply info beyond what is pooped out on a regular basis. Why do you think bootleg networks exist?

Fans are obsessive. Yes, it can lead to odd obsessions, with dire results in certain cases. Some folks simply go off the rails in pursuit of their idols, not to make light of it.

Yet...if you display your talent for a bit, then deny folks to witness any more of it, who's fault is that?

And by the way, it is not up to YOU to imply I need adjust to the "digital age".

I will live my life upon my own terms, as should you.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      Since when did you become a musical/historical revisionist? Those of us (aka: true fans) are not talking "marketing ploys," we are merely seeking lost or forlorn treasure.

THAT would imply info beyond what is pooped out on a regular basis. Why do you think bootleg networks exist?

Fans are obsessive. Yes, it can lead to odd obsessions, with dire results in certain cases. Some folks simply go off the rails in pursuit of their idols, not to make light of it.

Yet...if you display your talent for a bit, then deny folks to witness any more of it, who's fault is that?

And by the way, it is not up to YOU to imply I need adjust to the "digital age".

I will live my life upon my own terms, as should you.

I can see you are perturbed. It's a real buzzkill.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

I can see you are perturbed. It's a real buzzkill.
        You would not believe it...we had "Welcome To Summer Reading" for the preteens this week. Yup, about 75-85 screaming kids running through the library with aggravated parents for three days. No amount of Aleve or vodka is gonna make that shit fade away.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Not sure I follow.

Anyway, speaking of digital age catch up this will look good next to the VH box:

$34.95 (on-line). Cheaper than a 1/8 of weed. Beat that! What a phenomenal album. I'm so glad I embraced the digital age while Chef chooses to run his computer on hamster wheel technology.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Not sure I follow.

Anyway, speaking of digital age catch up this will look good next to the VH box:
            $34.95 (on-line). Cheaper than a 1/8 of weed. Beat that! What a phenomenal album. I'm so glad I embraced the digital age while Chef chooses to run his computer on hamster wheel technology.
            Soo...you finally get a copy of a crummy Stones album I bought 30 years ago? Wow, victory to you. Great job.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Wow. What crawled up your sphincter and made an impromptu Vacation Bible School camp?

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Wow. What crawled up your sphincter and made an impromptu Vacation Bible School camp?
                I had an afternoon full of viewing the Lifetime channel on and off for about four hours, uncontested in our break room. Hopefully, Sports Center or the Food Channel will come on soon and restore some testosterone and sanity now that I'm safely at home.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

..... Eddie's guitar soars to where you can imagine him going all George Harrison and blistering his god damn fingers.
                  Uh, you know that was actually Ringo who said that, right?

I actually thought it was John for years, and just thought he was tripping balls on some liquid sunshine and screamed out whatever came to mind. But it was Ringo, because he hit the drums on that song much harder than he was used to doing, and literally got blisters in the process. Of course he might have been tripping balls too.... it was 1968 after all.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jetstream
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Dec 2011

I got a novel idea. So what if Edward states they do not have the full Oakland '81 show recorded... why don't you guys simply include some of those live tracks as bonus tracks on the remastered LPs!
                    I got lost in the...

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Who the fuck is Ted Templeton?
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I'm so glad I embraced the digital age while Chef chooses to run his computer on hamster wheel technology.
                        I prefer xhamster.

Comment

• philouze
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I prefer xhamster.
                          I spent hours raping my hand watching Rene Bond movies..

Comment

• WARF
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by philouze
                            I spent hours raping my pillow watching Rene Bond movies..
                            Fixed.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                              Fixed.
                              And when I woke up, I was no longer hungry, but my pillow was gone.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• WARF
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Yay!

The same old boring remasters they issue every ten years with no extras.

Why is this even news.

Another big YAWN from a yawn worthy band.

Michael Anthony can't even save this mess.
                                Last edited by WARF; 06-12-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...