Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Oh shit... this is even worse...

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Still my fave - now at 5.8 million views so who is laughing now?

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

YouGoob is not allowing me to post the proper link(s) for some reason

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

The nice thing about playing in a garage band when I did (you know, back when I was in my early teens...when you're supposed to) is that outside of recording some of the jam sessions on a boom box - and I recall we camcorded one jam session - we went in, played and that was it forever: we never had to hear or listen to the jam sessions ever again. Because the whole point of being in a garage band was that it wasn't meant to be heard beyond the garage. Or the basement or whatever. Because at that level it's more about practicing the individual instruments and practicing playing with others...learning the chops.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
            The nice thing about playing in a garage band when I did (you know, back when I was in my early teens...when you're supposed to) is that outside of recording some of the jam sessions on a boom box - and I recall we camcorded one jam session - we went in, played and that was it forever: we never had to hear or listen to the jam sessions ever again. Because the whole point of being in a garage band was that it wasn't meant to be heard beyond the garage. Or the basement or whatever. Because at that level it's more about practicing the individual instruments and practicing playing with others...learning the chops.
            It's definitely something I think about sometimes. I have zero video and not a lot of photos of those days

Nowadays you can't play to 16 people in a bar without a ton of video and stills being taken and if you were some young band having a bad night it's there on YouTube forever.

So you are conflicted thinking it would be good to sit and watch that stuff from when you were 20 and then wonder if maybe it's better in your rose tinted memory.

Especially with smaller venues when you factor in atmosphere, the loudness the booze etc the audience and maybe the band were on - none of that translates in the cold light of an audience camera shot YouTube video...

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's definitely something I think about sometimes. I have zero video and not a lot of photos of those days

Nowadays you can't play to 16 people in a bar without a ton of video and stills being taken and if you were some young band having a bad night it's there on YouTube forever.

So you are conflicted thinking it would be good to sit and watch that stuff from when you were 20 and then wonder if maybe it's better in your rose tinted memory.

Especially with smaller venues when you factor in atmosphere, the loudness the booze etc the audience and maybe the band were on - none of that translates in the cold light of an audience camera shot YouTube video...
              With those boom box cassette jam session recordings, we'd listen to them once or twice immediately afterward. Who knows where those went. We watched the camcorded session a few times immediately afterward...doubt that old VHS tape even exists or who would have it or that...you know, Porky's 5 wasn't taped over it. What the fuck did we care? We were...14...15 years old. Had only been playing two or three years. Hadn't even been laid yet, you know?

None of the gigs I did at local bars in my early 20's were ever recorded. Mostly because at that point I realized I wasn't gonna be a professional/working musician, and really none of those gigs were worth recording. We had fun and played fairly well, but none of it was something we even considered preserving in recorded form.

Then again, I'm still that way today, in that I'm not taking photos (or videos) of the things I'm doing, despite the ease of doing so nowadays if I chose to. It's weird, but I see people when I'm out at whatever leisure activity and they're so busy chronicling it I honestly wonder if they're having any joy experiencing it while it is actually taking place.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Quite recently I played guitar in an 9 piece band with a horn section doing covers to a packed but very small room of 80 people or so. Format was 10 songs, interval with raffle(it was a charity thing) and so on and then a second half.

During the interval I didn't realize I had left my guitar beside a lamp the brass section were using for their sheet music.

As someone not really used to 'intervals' I didn't do my usual tuner check start the second half with one of the few guitar heavy songs, 'Lets Go Crazy' and a few chords into the verse I notice I'm in trouble because the G has gone way sharp due to the heat of the lamp making every chord sound horrendous. I make a dumb decision in the moment(I'd had a few beers) that the verse is mainly on the lower strings and with the bends and wah on the solo I'll get away with it. Big cheer at the end and I retune do the rest of the set.

Got through the gig but by the end I was worrying about it and asked literally 8 or 10 different people including other band members and musician friends in the audience was that ok I was out of tune on that Prince thing. Everyone said no it was great all good. Had some more beers post show and in the taxi home go on the internet on my phone and already someone had put up a YouTube of it recorded on their phone and it was a fucking horrendous nightmare completely ruining the night for me and still making me post this a couple of years later. They hadn't posted it in a mean spirited way they were probably a bit drunk when they posted it and it was low profile enough that I don't think many people saw it.

None of it matters but it did make me think if that had been back when the audience had been a couple of hundred 18/19 year olds many of whom were routinely also in rival bands or whatever posting comments and seen by future promoters it would have been completely disastrous.
                Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-15-2023, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Shit happens. If you haven’t experienced a few disasters you haven’t gigged. I had a preamp tube start going microphonic and it was adding all this noise to my sound and people said I sounded great. You can have some big fuckups but most people don’t notice.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    I started playing in 1978. You either did sports or you were in a band. Our bass player’s father was a doctor and he owned the building his practice was in. We used to jam in the basement after all the medical staff went home.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mushroom
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2009

Ultimate Dad Rock!

Cheap Trick on Live From Daryl's House!

Ultimate Dad Rock! Game. Over.

Last edited by Mushroom; 03-23-2023, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        As someone not really used to 'intervals' I didn't do my usual tuner check start the second half with one of the few guitar heavy songs, 'Lets Go Crazy' and a few chords into the verse I notice I'm in trouble because the G has gone way sharp due to the heat of the lamp making every chord sound horrendous. I make a dumb decision in the moment(I'd had a few beers) that the verse is mainly on the lower strings and with the bends and wah on the solo I'll get away with it. Big cheer at the end and I retune do the rest of the set.
                        Let's Go Crazy? You need one of these!

Harley Benton "Mad Cat" copy. Pickguards aren't exactly accurate but they are available online. Must be an ash body, it's heavy.

Found the poster at the Rock Hall. I saw the show on the 5th, still have my ticket stub.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Have you got one?

Worrying cheap then again the original was a cheap copy too.

I'll maybe check it out, worst case scenario it's a cool bit of wall art.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I picked it up off Reverb. September maybe. It was at a shop in California. Didn't see them on the Thomann site so I don't know if it's a current model.

Doesn't sound real great through the lead channel on the 6505 but okay on the rhythm and pretty good through a Boss Katana Artist.

It showed up in tune and stays in tune. Headstock is a little small, it'll slip out of a typical wall hanger so it sits behind my desk chair in a Hercules 5 guitar stand.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Thomann are selling them here for about $200, a couple of reviews agree with you that it is fine.
                              Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-24-2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It's a better Tele than the black SX (which I think is a Rondo Music brand) that I picked up locally. That SX is a nice beater though, don't worry about walking around the house with it and running into stuff.

Comment

Working...