X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
    Several of the Jake E. Lee/Zakk Wylde tunes were good, but really by the time No More Tears rolled around it was over for me.
    No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan.

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-07-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I noticed when I moved to Tampa in 2000 that there was no local rock scene in terms of clubs where local rock bands were playing. It was pretty much all dance clubs. THAT was a bit of a culture shock vs. Rhode Island in the 1980s/1990s, where even that little pissant state had a pretty vibrant local scene with a dozen decent-sized club venues bands could play at. So, if anything, I figured a city the size of Tampa would have even MORE local venues and MORE local bands to go and see.: it was a bit of a shock to find out that wasn't the case. Then again, by 2000 the rock genre was sort of fading...

Sometimes, I'd just like to go to a club and see a local band playing...about the closest I can get to that now is some beach bar where a guy gets up with an acoustic guitar and plays Margaritaville-type tunes (THOSE fuckers are LESS than a dime a dozen down here).
      Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Cavazo was decent.

I will say that with a tune like Cum On Feel The Noize, Cavazo constructed - or improvised, or however the solo was done (if he winged it or it was a composite or whatever) - a guitar solo that was quite well done, in terms of being both memorable and flashy.
        I can tell it’s Carlos. He had his own vibe. He had a few Jose Arredondo modded Marshall’s which basically had clipping diodes in the preamp. People thought Ed used them but he never did but Carlos got the best sound out of those modded amps.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well a YouTube guitar guy I subscribe to has put up an unusually strong response to the Nuge BS and I have to say I agree with every fucking word...

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              No More Tears also written by Daisley.

I love Jake E Lee's guitar playing but The Ultimate Sin song writing is not great IMHO.

The under achievement of Ozzy is absolutely amazingly spectacular,

Fucking mediocre shit for 40 years while his cunt wife hand picks all those guys year after year after year, She is shit at her job and a terrible person who got fucking insanely lucky,

They just got insanely fucking lucky with Randy who was found by someone else

i say that as a fan.

Sharon Osbourne is like someone who won the fucking lottery and then went back to the kiosk and grabbed the $1 she paid for the ticket and then took a shit on the counter.

I can't remember a time when I've been less than super happy that someone has recovered from cancer.
              I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Rhode Island was a mobbed up state and the mob loved it’s clubs. The whole Sunset Strip thing was basically the Chicago mob operating in LA and then of course Las Vegas grew out of that dynamic. We can thank the mob for being a step stone for our entertainment. Ha! Ha!
                Rhode Island certainly was mobbed up back in the day. There are still remnants of the mob operating, but nowhere near what it was. It was common knowledge back in the 1980s and 1990s that for $5k paid to the right person, you could get a state job and basically be set for life, and for $10k to the right person you could get a no-show state job where you didn't even have to turn up to work and would still collect a weekly paycheck and full benefits.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I think maybe rock and roll is going where big band did. You can still go see a Glenn Miller type thing at a Performing Arts center somewhere. You can still buy the old recordings but it’s not the big mainstream thing it was. Old people loved it because of the nostalgia.

Now we are the old people getting nostalgic for our rock and roll and the kids today have their thing which was not on the menu when we were growing up.
                  Rock and roll is going - basically has already gone - the way of Vegas-style cabaret.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I mean, I can't argue with Sharon Osbourne's approach to...what...monetizing the Ozzy name and thus keeping Ozzy as a brand far more lucrative from 2000 on than it would have been otherwise. Didn't much care for The Osbournes tv show, and Sharon Osbourne as a celebrity personality isn't my cup of tea, but whatever.

I thought Jake E. Lee was shit-hot coming out of the gate with Ozzy. I mean, Bark At The Moon as a lead-off single was a solid rock tune. Didn't much care for The Ultimate Sin stuff then or now. Thought No Rest For The Wicked had some great stuff on it. No More Tears as a track was good. Didn't much care for Mama I'm Coming Home or Road To Nowhere.

The first two Ozzy solo albums just continue to hold up for me...still resonate after all these years.
                    Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Absolutely but it's not just our opinions, most Ozzy setlists have always been about 75% first 2 albums. Only ever played the title track to BATM and I always found it surprising that Zack W never learned how to play it correctly even though that was his fucking job for 20 years. I say that as someone that also can't play it right but still - it wasn't my fucking job.
                      The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.

I'd say from what I've read/seen/heard, a lot of the setlists after Jake E. Lee left started incorporating more of the Rhoads material as well as doing Sabbath stuff other than the obligatory Iron Man and Paranoid. I mean, really, for me, the Jake E. Lee albums...bit of a letdown, and not even necessarily strictly in comparison to the Rhoads albums. Outside of the Bark At The Moon title track, the rest of the Lee material was...a bit weak. I remember thinking with the first Wylde album that the Ozzy band and material had taken a step upward from the Lee stuff. Miracle Man...Bloodbath In Paradise...Crazy Babies...THAT to my ears was the kind of stuff I wanted to hear Ozzy doing more so than the bulk of what was on the Lee albums. And Wylde didn't have any compunctions about playing Rhoads tracks other than Crazy Train or I Don't Know, or essaying Sabbath stuff like War Pigs.

But, yeah, were I to see an Ozzy show these days, I'd be more than satisfied if the setlist was comprised entirely of stuff off of Sabbath's first 4 albums and Ozzy's first two solo albums.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

Comment

• silverfish
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2007

The two times I saw Ozzy, in 1984 and 1986, he was playing a fair amount off of the then new albums BATM and Ultimate Sin, and wasn't doing more than a few Sabbath tunes and several tunes off of his first two solo albums.
                          Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
                          I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
                          frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
                          to a show that isn't on the LP.
                          I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
                          him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"
                          Originally posted by sadaist
                          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I totally get that - I've been an Ozzy fan since 1981 and I'm often totally puzzled by it especially when watching him live.

Taking a step back he is fucking terrible.

I've always been a music + vocal melody person. You get (a lot of) people who are all about the lead singer voice, I'm not one of them.

If you stuck a knife at my throat my 3 favorite bands would be CVH, Rush and early Ozzy none of which would win awards for lead vocals although I could make a passionate underrated argument for them.
                            Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-08-2022, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                              Not a big Sabbath or Ozzy fan so take this for what it's worth:
                              I've never seen him live but the live videos I've seen show Ozzy as the absolute most boring uninspired
                              frontman ever. He paces the stage saying "'C'mon" between verses and (to me) really brings nothing
                              to a show that isn't on the LP.
                              I know his style isn't something akin to DLR/Tyler/Pearcy/whatever flashy frontman but when I see a clip of
                              him live I can't imagine watching an entire show of that no matter what the songs sound like.

That said, I did watch some of his Osbournes show. "Sharooon!"
                              The thing with Ozzy...he's just a character, just a larger than life personality and people just respond to that in terms of...like, Ozzy doesn't even HAVE to do anything astounding onstage in terms of leaping around...or even singing well. Ozzy just has to yell "everybody go crazy!!" and the crowd loves it.

I will say for the two shows I saw in the 1980s, on both those tours Ozzy had some decent stage productions, so you had lasers, some explosions, some pyro. All of which augmented or sort of made up for whatever shortcomings Ozzy had in the singing department or the frontman department. Like, I remember with the BATM show I saw in 1984, Motley Crue opened. Musically, Motley Crue were no great shakes, but that band were fucking MOVING all over the stage the entire set. Ozzy, by comparison, sort of walked around, clapped his hands...but Ozzy just didn't NEED to run around the stage all night. Plus, by the time BATM rolled around, Ozzy had the Rhoads albums + BATM + the classic Sabbath stuff to draw upon...and people were just there to party and have a good time, so Ozzy...he just didn't need to do anything beyond what he was doing. which admittedly certainly wasn't much in comparison to a David Lee Roth or a Steven Tyler.

I do remember the second time I saw Ozzy a couple of years later on the Ultimate Sin tour, I felt that the opening band Metallica had kinda blew Ozzy off the stage a bit. And I wasn't especially a huge fan of Metallica at the time, either. My bud who I went with WAS a pretty big Metallica fan and had been playing the first three Metallica albums non-stop in the year leading up to the Ultimate Sin show, and I wasn't a particular fan of Metallica at that point. I'm still not really all that big on Metallica, and never really have been, but I will say that Metallica...they were just hungry and put on a brutal, non-stop assault onstage. Ozzy came out after them and it was...a bit tame by comparison.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

You saw Ozzy possibly at his peak in 1984 I've seen him 5 or so times from 1986 onwards but Jake on that first tour. I took up guitar after seeing the Salt Lake City gig on TV but the earlier German one is is some ways better because Ozzy is pretty much singing well.

The solo to Forever is still just fucking wow nearly 40 years later...

I dunno about seeing Ozzy at his peak, because just in terms strictly of what Ozzy was doing as a frontman his tours throughout the 1980s were basically consistent. His various touring bands throughout the 1980s were pretty consistent.

I mean, neither time I saw him on those two tours...his vocals weren't terrible, nor were they great...but, like I said, he just has to yell "let's get crazy!!" and not much else beyond that.

I'd certainly say from the footage I've seen from the mid-1990s and beyond that I was fortunate to have seen Ozzy in the 1980s.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...