X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by vandeleur
    Maybe ADKOT should have been called Lazarus reflex.
    Think that's the jerky movements things make after they are dead
    I don't think they were completely dead yet. But the blood was spilling out. Honestly the 3 Van Halen's have sounded decent on stage the last few tours. I miss Mike but Wolf can play great & sing decent enough. Ed had his issues in 07. But he ended that tour strong. I have a killer boot from Baltimore 08. It's on You tube. A great show. They sound just as good as they did if not better than the Diver Down & 1984 tours that got sloppy IMO. In all reality, sadly it's been Roth's issues holding them back from sounding worth the ticket prices the last few outings.

Comment

• Fairwrning
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Ahh what happened to the drive..old age sucks

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

ADKOT was overall decent.

Blood and Fire, Chinatown & As Is are, five years later, the tracks that I still actively play...as in, every so often, I have a specific urge to hear those tunes. The rest of it is just okay. On the whole, in some ways much, much better than I would have thought the band were capable of coming up with when the news leaked out that they were making a new album.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          I don't think they were completely dead yet. But the blood was spilling out. Honestly the 3 Van Halen's have sounded decent on stage the last few tours. I miss Mike but Wolf can play great & sing decent enough. Ed had his issues in 07. But he ended that tour strong. I have a killer boot from Baltimore 08. It's on You tube. A great show. They sound just as good as they did if not better than the Diver Down & 1984 tours that got sloppy IMO. In all reality, sadly it's been Roth's issues holding them back from sounding worth the ticket prices the last few outings.
          I will say - and I've said this a bunch of times, so apologies for repeating myself - in 2008 in Tampa I thought Roth was just spot-on. He had really upped his game from where it had been for the last several years of his solo appearances. He sang virtually every verse, made an effort with his vocals, didn't muck around with endless stage patter between tunes. He approached the gig like he had something to prove again, and prove it he did. Eddie started out sort of wobbly at the beginning of that show, and went downhill.

2012 Tampa, Ed was totally on point and knocking it out of the park. All three Van Halens at that show - even Wolf - stepped up and got the job done. Sadly, Roth started taking lazy live vocal shortcuts again, decided to yell his way through tunes in a strained yelp and it just plain didn't sound good.

The 2015 stuff I saw on youtube was more of the same: the Van Halens got the job done, while Roth really wasn't up to the task any longer. I could give him one subpar tour a la 2012. 2 tours in a row demonstrates a pattern, and what he is bringing to the stage now is neither acceptable to me nor is it something I want to see or hear. I no longer pay premiums to see iconic living rock legends if they can't deliver the goods, and Dave hasn't demonstrated an ability to deliver. I take no pleasure in saying that. It didn't make me feel good to pay $125 a pop to see them in 2008 and see Eddie put on a drunken, shitty performance, nor pay the same price 4 years later and hear Roth sound goddamned awful.

I'd still get a kick out of seeing a Van Halen show - Anthony or no - if the entire band is sounding good. Bad enough I've had to see only 3/4's of the CVH lineup twice, but when only 3/4's of THAT lineup are playing well...nope. Not for me.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
            Well, they're all over 60 now. Eddie & Alex both apparently have bone issues (given the various spinal & hip issues) and there have been rumors about Dave having back issues for a while now. None of this all that unsual for people of that age who led the kind of lifestyles they did in previous decades.

For a band of geezers they're probably doing fairly well. How many bands of that age still have all the original members on this side of the cemetery grass?
            If they're smart (no, really) they'd better not wait too much longer... Rush is pretty much shut down now due to Alex and Neil's arthritis and tendonitis, respectively....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              If they're smart (no, really) they'd better not wait too much longer... Rush is pretty much shut down now due to Alex and Neil's arthritis and tendonitis, respectively....
              Funny that I should read this right when "Closer to the Heart" is playing on the radio. Maybe Geddy Lee can join Yes? He did a pretty good job on "Roundabout" at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                I will say - and I've said this a bunch of times, so apologies for repeating myself - in 2008 in Tampa I thought Roth was just spot-on. He had really upped his game from where it had been for the last several years of his solo appearances. He sang virtually every verse, made an effort with his vocals, didn't muck around with endless stage patter between tunes. He approached the gig like he had something to prove again, and prove it he did. Eddie started out sort of wobbly at the beginning of that show, and went downhill.

2012 Tampa, Ed was totally on point and knocking it out of the park. All three Van Halens at that show - even Wolf - stepped up and got the job done. Sadly, Roth started taking lazy live vocal shortcuts again, decided to yell his way through tunes in a strained yelp and it just plain didn't sound good.

The 2015 stuff I saw on youtube was more of the same: the Van Halens got the job done, while Roth really wasn't up to the task any longer. I could give him one subpar tour a la 2012. 2 tours in a row demonstrates a pattern, and what he is bringing to the stage now is neither acceptable to me nor is it something I want to see or hear. I no longer pay premiums to see iconic living rock legends if they can't deliver the goods, and Dave hasn't demonstrated an ability to deliver. I take no pleasure in saying that. It didn't make me feel good to pay $125 a pop to see them in 2008 and see Eddie put on a drunken, shitty performance, nor pay the same price 4 years later and hear Roth sound goddamned awful.

I'd still get a kick out of seeing a Van Halen show - Anthony or no - if the entire band is sounding good. Bad enough I've had to see only 3/4's of the CVH lineup twice, but when only 3/4's of THAT lineup are playing well...nope. Not for me.
                That about covers it. I'm not sure if you seen them before or after the Eddie break in that tour ? I saw them early on in 07. He played great. Than around the middle of the tour he feel apart. I remember a clip of him using a drum stick on his guitar solo. In Vegas maybe ? That's when my antenna when up that something was wrong with him. I don't know..... I really thought that Baltimore show was great energy and playing by all. With Dave singing well. They are ripping into Crossroads and doing loose endings jamming on Deep Purple. Dave doing motor sounds matching Ed's guitar. Just great stuff. Better than that Tokyo album. But like I said I will go see them if they do tour for their 40th. I think that will be it. At least with Dave. Anything else is a fraud with the Van Halen name attached to it. Even if he puts the same shitty effort of the last 2 tours in. I won't like it, but I'll be there.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

That about covers it. I'm not sure if you seen them before or after the Eddie break in that tour ? I saw them early on in 07. He played great. Than around the middle of the tour he feel apart. I remember a clip of him using a drum stick on his guitar solo. In Vegas maybe ? That's when my antenna when up that something was wrong with him. I don't know..... I really thought that Baltimore show was great energy and playing by all. With Dave singing well. They are ripping into Crossroads and doing loose endings jamming on Deep Purple. Dave doing motor sounds matching Ed's guitar. Just great stuff. Better than that Tokyo album. But like I said I will go see them if they do tour for their 40th. I think that will be it. At least with Dave. Anything else is a fraud with the Van Halen name attached to it. Even if he puts the same shitty effort of the last 2 tours in. I won't like it, but I'll be there.
                  It's hard for me to remember, so I may have this wrong, but I think there may have been 3 legs to that 2007-2008 tour, where they did a few months worth of gigs then took a few weeks off. Tampa was in...March of 2008? Or February? Maybe even late January?

But I saw all of the 2007 rehearsal footage, and actually got some dvd boots of the earlier 2007 gigs - like, the first 6 or so shows of the tour - and Eddie was playing decent enough. Decent enough to the point where I figured by the time the band got to Tampa Ed would be firing on all points. Especially since they basically played the same set list night after night. So I bought tickets for Tampa. Definitely not one of the better shows I've been to.

If they announce a 40th/Farewell tour next year with the CVH lineup, THAT is something I would show an interest in seeing.

Short of that, I've already seen Van Halen MK 4 twice now. If it's going to be another one of those shows, even if it is announced as the "absolutely last time ever"...I'm gonna pass. I mean, I love what that fuckin' band was and what it meant to me then, and I love how the music made back then still kicks ass. I haven't felt anything along those lines even since Roth rejoined, shy of the period in 1996 when it was announced Roth was recording with the band. Van Halen 2007 to Present just wasn't able to get all the pistons firing simultaneously.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                    It's hard for me to remember, so I may have this wrong, but I think there may have been 3 legs to that 2007-2008 tour, where they did a few months worth of gigs then took a few weeks off. Tampa was in...March of 2008? Or February? Maybe even late January?

But I saw all of the 2007 rehearsal footage, and actually got some dvd boots of the earlier 2007 gigs - like, the first 6 or so shows of the tour - and Eddie was playing decent enough. Decent enough to the point where I figured by the time the band got to Tampa Ed would be firing on all points. Especially since they basically played the same set list night after night. So I bought tickets for Tampa. Definitely not one of the better shows I've been to.

If they announce a 40th/Farewell tour next year with the CVH lineup, THAT is something I would show an interest in seeing.

Short of that, I've already seen Van Halen MK 4 twice now. If it's going to be another one of those shows, even if it is announced as the "absolutely last time ever"...I'm gonna pass. I mean, I love what that fuckin' band was and what it meant to me then, and I love how the music made back then still kicks ass. I haven't felt anything along those lines even since Roth rejoined, shy of the period in 1996 when it was announced Roth was recording with the band. Van Halen 2007 to Present just wasn't able to get all the pistons firing simultaneously.
                    I don't know what month that Baltimore 08 show was ? I just thought it was musically as good as ANY Diver Down or 84 shows. The band is just hot. But yeah, far and few Between.....I just wish I had that as a REAL release over the beyond mediocre Tokyo c.d. Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ? I don't get it ? Dave lived there ? Who cares ? Pick a better show. Gee how about 1981 ? I guess that would have made sense.... Especially to the fans.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

I don't know what month that Baltimore 08 show was ? I just thought it was musically as good as ANY Diver Down or 84 shows. The band is just hot. But yeah, far and few Between.....I just wish I had that as a REAL release over the beyond mediocre Tokyo c.d. Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ? I don't get it ? Dave lived there ? Who cares ? Pick a better show. Gee how about 1981 ? I guess that would have made sense.... Especially to the fans.
                      I believe the Baltimore show was in May of 2008. I thought that show was excellent. The Van Halens played well and Dave was on point and kept his "raps" to reasonable lengths. They should've released that show if they recorded it. The quality level of that show is what gives me a sliver of hope for the future. Unfortunately, that was nine years ago and Dave seems to have it in cruise control these days.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                        I believe the Baltimore show was in May of 2008. I thought that show was excellent. The Van Halens played well and Dave was on point and kept his "raps" to reasonable lengths. They should've released that show if they recorded it. The quality level of that show is what gives me a sliver of hope for the future. Unfortunately, that was nine years ago and Dave seems to have it in cruise control these days.

May 15th specifically, it was part of the rescheduled shows... I took my son to the May 2nd show at UVA in Charlottesville and grabbed 6th row tickets that had freed up....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          May 15th specifically, it was part of the rescheduled shows... I took my son to the May 2nd show at UVA in Charlottesville and grabbed 6th row tickets that had freed up....
                          How was your show? Was it the quality of the Baltimore show (assuming you've seen all or part of that show)?

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ?
                            Pretty sure every show on that tour was bootlegged. All but the private show in Toronto.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

How was your show? Was it the quality of the Baltimore show (assuming you've seen all or part of that show)?
                              Well, being that close, it was fantastic.... Especially having my youngest son there, who was about 14 at the time....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah it was mid May 2008 and after the 'wobble' Ed had in 2007 he came back playing well. I was at the show and it was great although being hyper critical, Ed was sober but not quite 100% at his best and was playing better in 2012. I thought Dave was particularly good that night which is maybe why people are saying they liked the boot. Slightly annoying that he didn't go around the 'vanity' circle apart from maybe once from memory on I'll Wait or I'd be in that video a lot more, I think I only spotted us once.

Comment

Working...