• Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
    GM just sells shitty vehicles!
    I know. I bought one.
    Last edited by Kristy; 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
      There's a big difference between the auto industry and Wall Street Criminal Banks.

The auto industry actually produces something. One of the few industries left that actually does so in the US, and pays a lot of people a liveable wage in the process. And this industry impacts many others both on the supply side, from those who make the parts and materials that go into cars, and on the demand side, from local businesses that depend on auto worker cash in the communities where those factories are located.

If Gold Mansacks or Bank of UnAmerica went out of business tomorrow, nobody would give a fuck, outside of a handful of rich criminal bastards. They produce nothing.
      Banking is a service based business. Yeah what the bankers figured out is they could make more money with less hassle just gaming the markets. Easy to do in the age of computers. They buy up companies and outsource them. China becomes the new work force and as long as you have the biggest military in the world financed with the petro-dollar you in theory can keep China in check.

They got too greedy though. They war mongered too much and now Russia, China, and other countries are going to ruin the petro-dollar so the US can't finance it's military operations. The only fix I see is issuing a US greenback through the US Treasury Department. That gets rid of the Federal Reserve (something Kennedy did years ago). It probably will make imports from China 20% more expensive but that gives us an opportunity to build things again and export them.

You finance the recovery with US Treasury notes. We would have to build new factories, new equipment to go in them. We have lots of infrastructure to fix and upgrade. Lot's of job potential. Everything is financial policy. Banking is so powerful you can decide what the future is going to be short of natural disasters. Anything man made banking controls. That's what people need to understand.

You need finance before you can have a factory. People want to get paid with something.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-14-2014, 02:17 PM.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
        You're full of shit. Muscle was anything but cheap.

Go drive your Prius off of cliff.
        The market for those cars were teenagers and college kids. GM, Ford, and Chrysler built stripped down cars with cheap trim and put a big engine in them. Gas was cheap and you smoked the tires when you peeled off after school.

I was in high school at the end of the muscle car era. You bought a used late 60's muscle car and fixed it up. That's why you had the after school and summer job. Little by little. You got it running good. Then you popped for some nice tires and wheels. Then you worked on the body. The day you got the new paint job was a big day. You no longer were driving a car with primer all over it. Then you worked on the interior if you cared. Usually a loud stereo was needed too.

You could buy Chargers, Mustangs, Cameros, Challengers, GTO's relatively cheap. Sometimes there was the old widow who finally decided to sell her husbands GTO with 30,000 original miles. People loved them but they weren't collectors items yet. They were cheap fun cars made cheap so kids with a job could afford one.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I thought that was strictly a 'Cuda thing.

Gas being $4/gallon bring back the muscle. What is there to lose?
          No, Ford had Shaker hoods too. That '70 Mach 1 that you posted the picture of, has one.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Oh well then. I'll just sit here and wait for Nick to give me the Wiki definition of a shaker hood.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              The market for those cars were teenagers and college kids.
              No, the market was racing as in NASCAR, IMSA, GTO racing classes for bragging rights.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I would say most of us grew up in great times. We missed the Vietnam draft. Were too young to suffer through the 70's soft rock and disco shit. Came into the party years in the 80's. Oh yeah baby! You still could have a late 60's muscle car and still be in high school. You could blast Unchained through the big stereo. Go 110 down the highway on cheap gas. We were lucky.

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

You could buy Chargers, Mustangs, Cameros, Challengers, GTO's relatively cheap. Sometimes there was the old widow who finally decided to sell her husbands GTO with 30,000 original miles. People loved them but they weren't collectors items yet. They were cheap fun cars made cheap so kids with a job could afford one.
                  I was raised in the muscle car era, and I disagree with your assessment. Most of these cars were family cars, and priced appropriately for the times. You could buy a Roadrunner with a 318 in it, or for a mere few hundred bucks, you could upgrade it to a 440 or even a 426 Hemi.

The only teenagers getting these cars brand new, are still the same teenagers that are getting brand new cars today. The spoiled rich kids.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Oh well then. I'll just sit here and wait for Nick to give me the Wiki definition of a shaker hood.
                    Nicki Wiki, or Wiki Nicki, doesn't know shit about muscle cars!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

No, the market was racing as in NASCAR, IMSA, GTO racing classes for bragging rights.
                      Tying the cars to stock car racing was marketing. It was all about horsepower, torque, acceleration, ect... The thing is you couldn't keep a muscle car on a windy road to save your life. You couldn't stop them either. They were basically made to stomp on the gas and go fast in a straight line. It was about power and noise. It wasn't about sophistication. LOL!

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                        Nicki Wiki, or Wiki Nicki, doesn't know shit about muscle cars!
                        But he can Wiki them.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Tying the cars to stock car racing was marketing. It was all about horsepower, torque, acceleration, ect... The thing is you couldn't keep a muscle car on a windy road to save your life. You couldn't stop them either. They were basically made to stomp on the gas and go fast in a straight line. It was about power and noise. It wasn't about sophistication. LOL!
                          Wrong! It was about sexiness!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                            I was raised in the muscle car era, and I disagree with your assessment. Most of these cars were family cars, and priced appropriately for the times. You could buy a Roadrunner with a 318 in it, or for a mere few hundred bucks, you could upgrade it to a 440 or even a 426 Hemi.

The only teenagers getting these cars brand new, are still the same teenagers that are getting brand new cars today. The spoiled rich kids.
                            Usually the deal was the kid would pay for part of the car and dad would pay the rest. You also have to remember we had a real middle class then. Healthcare was cheaper. School was way less. A manager of a freight depot could own their own small airplane or cabin cruiser boat. People had a lot of toys then that had middle class jobs. The standard of living was actually pretty good.

The kids that did buy their muscle car new sacrificed dearly for it. They worked construction all summer. They had jobs after school. It was school, work, and show off the car. The car was the idol they worshiped. All they talked about was cars.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

This was the last muscle car I built. When my Wife's health started failing, I had to sell it. This was an original 383 (not an original R/T) car. I changed it to a 440. I had $10k in just the engine.

That Pontiac in my neighbor's garage is still in that same position. He just turned 60, and claims he is going to restore it "someday". He won't. I have offered to help him, and he always has an excuse. Money is not an issue with him.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Wrong! It was about sexiness!
                                That is sexy. I don't remember the Mustangs looking that good in the early 70's. They are expensive collectables now. That's a show car. Bugs wouldn't dare splat on the front of it.

Comment

Working...