Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Look at it like this: will he make much more money in VR than on his own? Probably not, so why go through the hassle.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I appreciate Slash
      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

This thread made me delve back into my collection.

A few thoughts:

1) The second Slash's Snakepit album - 'Ain't Life Grand' - is an under-appreciated classic which rocks like a hooker on meth. Fucking dirty, dirty, nasty rock 'n' roll delivered through great, great songs. I reviewed in the 'Album Reviews' thread a while back, but every time I hear it I'm always struck by how good it is.

2) The central riff in 'Coma' is epic. That really was something of a masterpiece for Guns.....

3) Velvet Revolver never worked with a producer who knew how to capture guitar tones.

4) The little acoustic tune with Rob Del Luca on Slash's first solo CD is probably the best thing on it.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

i'll say again.. one of the all time greats at any paradigm of comparison. Zah nailed it... if the dude was hitting his straps in 1969, he could've out jimi'd jimi.

or not.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Innovator ? Nope. Great guitarist ? Hell yes ! Great tone & at least a couple dozen great songs in alot of different styles. I love his playing. You could make an argument to put him in the top 20 easy. Robert Johnson, Albert King, hell all the Kings, Hendrix, Eddie. After that for me it's a free for all for picking. Rhoads & Tommy Bolin come to mind for me.
            Last edited by 78/84 guy; 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

From what I've heard of his post GNR work, his solo stuff pisses all over Velvet Revolver who I always found totally mediocre. Maybe VR have some hidden gems but I had lost interest by that point.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                From what I've heard of his post GNR work, his solo stuff pisses all over Velvet Revolver who I always found totally mediocre. Maybe VR have some hidden gems but I had lost interest by that point.
                Mediocre ? I think they are both strong ! Alot of it is down the same avenue though. There is no reason to go back to that band with a different singer though. Just do the solo stuff. His new dvd is fantastic. Great band & Myles is a great singer.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

I'd have to agree - although I think 'mediocre' is a little harsh.

I wrote a review of the first VR record in which I essentially said that the legacy of the members was crucial towards my attitude: 'I like this, even though I know a lot of it is not terribly good'.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is there a huge difference between 'not terribly good' and 'mediocre'?

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I think slash should keep Miles kennedy,Bring Duff and Matt Sorum back and be Velvet Revolver mark 2 or something.It feel's odd saying the new Slash DVD as opposed to saying the new insert band name here one.

Well what i really think is Slash should get back with Axl

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Is there a huge difference between 'not terribly good' and 'mediocre'?
                        Yes: one is said by a fan; the other by an observer

I think what I'd say is this: VR failed - almost inevitably - to live up to expectations, but they were never 'average'. 'Patchy', certainly, but not average or mediocre.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                          I think slash should keep Miles kennedy,Bring Duff and Matt Sorum back and be Velvet Revolver mark 2 or something.It feel's odd saying the new Slash DVD as opposed to saying the new insert band name here one.

Well what i really think is Slash should get back with Axl
                          I definitely think Slash/Matt/Duff should continue to work together. Myles is terrific, but I think Slash might be better with someone who has a less showy voice.

I actually thought that Ian Astbury did the best job (or the hard rockers) on the first solo record. A more gritty voice suits Slash's sound.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah but does Slash want to work with a singer who is a prick again?

I think he's already done his fair share of that...

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Slash should hook up with Duff and Matt and John Corabi in for vocals and rhythm

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Yeah but does Slash want to work with a singer who is a prick again?

I think he's already done his fair share of that...
                                I think that plays a huge role in his decision to work with Miles.

Shit, when you're pushing 50 why would you want the hassle....

Comment

Working...