No announcement yet.

New Wolfgang Van Halen tribute video to his dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too am looking forward to hearing the interview and the music. Hey, maybe Al will hit the road with him! He may be able to play every instrument in the studio, but he can't live!

Comment

It would be nice.

But he has to deal with the psychological aspects of carving out his own identity while standing in Pop's shadow.

Comment

New album name... Mamoth...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrock69 View Post
          It would be nice.

But he has to deal with the psychological aspects of carving out his own identity while standing in Pop's shadow.
          He strikes me as being fairly confident in his own abilities.

Considering his age when he joined Van Halen, he didn't seem particularly ill at ease onstage with the band. Perhaps a bit on the first tour, but the subsequent tours demonstrated zero in the way of jitters on his part as far as I can see. He didn't shy away from giving his input on the setlists, or during the recording of ADKOT.

I don't think Wolfgang is necessarily approaching his own music in terms of trying to equal what his father did in terms of impacting rock music to the same degree that his father did. And just as well, really: that'd be a tall order for anybody.

The comparisons will always be inevitable. The test will be Wolfgang's music rising or falling on its own merit, and while just being "the kid of" will get that person a listen that an unknown wouldn't, it won't guarantee stellar or lasting commercial success. Just ask Ziggy Marley. Or Julian Lennon. Or Sean Lennon. Or Dweezel Zappa.

Plus...well, shit, if a Roth reunion album with Van Halen in 2012 did less than a million in terms of physical albums/cds sold (have no idea what the online purchasing figures were), I tend to doubt Wolfgang is expecting his album to be a commerical success. Frankly, the kid is well-off enough that he doesn't NEED it to be...

All he can do is just be authentic to who he is and what he wants his music to be. Because he is already solvent, he can afford to be those things.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Being in and playing with Van Halen can make one fairly confident in their own abilities, I would imagine, Terry.

I recall just 13 years ago when a 16-year-old was suddenly on a major arena tour playing bass for one of the most legendary bands of rock music.

He slightly had the unsure vibe going on, as he was feeling his way through learning his stage persona in real time, and getting familiar with his newfound job working for the family business.

Literally is the family business, lol. Kind of interesting analogy.

2015, I saw a seasoned professional, whose goal each night was to go out and destroy the fuck out of everything with his playing.

Good lord.....he was terrifying!

Then I got the pleasure of seeing him several hundred or thousand times as I edited the live video.

Listening to him right now. Just the first 3 songs his is tearing it up! And leaving further destrukt-chun for the entire rest of the show. Wow. Just fucking wow.

Granted, the family business gave him quite the boost, but in another 10 years I predict he will be even better, and will continue in the family business as a career.
            Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-13-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I'd agree.

2008 gig I saw, he was perhaps a bit tentative onstage. Come 2012, he seemed perfectly relaxed at at ease performing with the group. I thought he did a more than capable job both at the 2012 show I saw and on the ADKOT album: being "the kid of" got him in the door, but the ultimate result came from his own abilities/output.

As you say, it literally is a family business. But Wolfgang seems to be as level-headed about it as a kid who grew up in his circumstances could be expected to. Doubtless, Wolfgang will share the business concerns of the Van Halen brand name with his uncle. Probably take over when his uncle passes on, or retires from it all.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I am watching the last show again. I watch it at least once or twice a week.

Sorta like a Fistful of Dollars, or Casablanca, or Seven Samurai....one of those films that, when it is on cable, you are REQUIRED to watch the thing.....because the performances are just that fucking awesome.

And I have always spent time listening to Wolfy play during that set...as Alex and Ed are a given....and it is great to hear what Wolfy is adding to the mix.

Comment

It is like someone who grew up with A-list movie star parents or something.

Could you imagine being the child of Jack Benny, or Bing Crosby or some shit....where it would be no big deal to have a bash at the house with say, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, John Wayne, or whoever?

I also think he has grown into quite the awesome, level-headed young man.

Comment

I am looking forward to tomorrows' Stern interview with Wolfgang and his new music, I have to admit if he wouldn't be EVH son, his music wouldn't attract as much instant interest and he also wouldn't be on Howard Stern, but I must say I am quite curious as many VH fans will.
                    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

I wonder if Stern will play the clip of Stuttering John asking EVH if he was going to name his next kid "Dogface"
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

He's got a pretty good voice

Comment

Damn...wow...just fucking wow...

Comment

New Wolfgang Van Halen tribute video to his dad

Hard to watch this!

Comment

I liked it.

Even taken out of the context of all that family home video footage - and the sentimentality that provokes - it's a good tune.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is how well Wolfgang sings (am assuming that was him doing the vocals). And it's not intentionally derivative of the CVH sound, or calculated to sound like Van Halen.

Honestly, had this been played on the radio with no notice given as to who it was from, I would have thought it was good. I can't say it would have necessarily made me want to hear more from the artist, but I wouldn't have thought it was disposable, forgettable, in one ear and the out the other after one listen type pap.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                                X