Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

RWTD To Be On Super Bowl Acura Ad

And no, it's not Love Walks In....

Acura Taps Van Halen for a Hard-Driving Super Bowl Commercial

By MICHAEL McCARTHYJAN. 28, 2016

Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” served as the perfect soundtrack for Budweiser’s heartwarming 2013 ad where a Clydesdale reunited with its former trainer. The composer John Williams’ “Imperial March” from “Star Wars” added just the right touch to Volkswagen’s humorous 2011 spot about a junior Darth Vader trying to use “the Force.”

On the other hand, Nissan’s selection of Harry Chapin’s melancholy “Cat’s in the Cradle” last year felt too dour for many viewers.

When it comes to Super Bowl ads, the use of well-known songs can be a high-risk, high-reward proposition, said Tristan Clopet, creative director of the Sussex Music House in Brooklyn. Done right, music can be a highly effective branding tool. Done wrong, viewers remember not the product, but the song (and not always fondly).

This year, the luxury carmaker Acura is gambling that its use of Van Halen’s hard-driving rock n’ roll classic “Runnin’ With the Devil” will make its 30-second spot for the 2017 NSX high-end sports car stand out during CBS’ broadcast of Super Bowl 50 on Feb. 7.

The spot, by the ad agency MullenLowe U.S. in Los Angeles, contains no dialogue. Instead, the familiar sound of the singer David Lee Roth’s voice is set against images of the car, which will become available this spring for the sum of $156,000.

Acura and MullenLowe considered a variety of songs from different genres before settling on Van Halen.

“Ultimately we knew that we wanted this to be a rock song,” said Leila Cesario, the national advertising manager for American Honda’s Acura division. “The Super Bowl is a big American platform. It needed a big American band that screams excitement.”

This will be Acura’s first Super Bowl spot since 2012, when the comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno dueled over the first NSX to come off the production line. MullenLowe deliberately shot NSX in shades of red, white and blue to highlight that the two-seater is designed and built in the United States.

Van Halen won’t be the only rock and rollers on Super Bowl Sunday. Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler, for example, will star in a spot for Skittles candy. Pepsi is also planning a commercial featuring well-known songs.

Choosing the right music for an ad is not simple. Many marketers hire advisers like Tena Clark, founder of DMI Music & Media Solutions in Los Angeles, to pick songs that they think will resonate.

“It’s a perfect storm in the wind when you’ve really done your homework — and that piece of music matches with the story line and the visuals you’ve shot,” said Ms. Clark.

Agencies license songs a variety of ways. The most expensive is to license an original version, like Acura did. An alternative is to use cover versions. The cheapest way is to use the music of relatively obscure artists.

Licensing a classic song by a popular band like Van Halen or Aerosmith can cost six figures for one-time use during the Super Bowl, said Josh Rabinowitz, director of music for the Grey Group in New York. (Acura did not say how much it paid.) If the agency wants to use the song for a monthslong campaign, the cost could run into the millions, he said. Savvy music labels also raise the price when they know an agency badly wants a certain song for a Super Bowl spot.

The good news for advertisers? With major changes in the economics of the music industry, more artists are willing to work with Madison Avenue than ever before.

Long after bands’ records stop selling, or the musicians stop touring, “advertising is the gift that keeps giving,” Mr. Rabinowitz said.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

$156,000? Is it reliced?

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Stephanie Tyler is sellin Skittles? Bwahahahahahahahaha!! I hate that ugly fuck.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe they're using his new fake cuntry music
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          Maybe they're using his new fake cuntry music
          She's got a country record out?? Hahahahaha!!! I wish that old lady would shut the fuck up and retire to South Beach. Well, the old South Beach from the 70s and 80s. Back when old ugly whores like her moved there and sat on the benches and waited to die.

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            She's got a country record out?? Hahahahaha!!! I wish that old lady would shut the fuck up and retire to South Beach. Well, the old South Beach from the 70s and 80s. Back when old ugly whores like her moved there and sat on the benches and waited to die.
            Next thing you know, Rod Stewart will release a Jazz album & Dave will do Bluegrass!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Who else thought of that DLR game when you first heard this?

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Longer version....

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

fuckin' awesome
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

And there you have it. The band's output for 2016. Enjoy it.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

wait for the "over the rainbow bar and shield" harley commercial
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Well at least they got the whistle part in there a couple times.

And yeah, I agree one of the ad guys musta been playin the DLR Asteroids game lol

Seeing that ad reminds you just how awesome Van Halen used to be. Makes me wanna break out the Largo DVD and jump off my couch a bunch of times. But, seein as how you need Super Beer Fuel to do that...I think I'll pass.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2007

I can dig it

Comment

• VHscraps
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2009

The old ones are better ...

Attached Files
                            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Carloscda
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2009

On Fire would've been a good track as well!

Comment

Working...