Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADKOT - Six Months Later

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ADKOT - Six Months Later

Well, we've had 6 months to marinate in it. Anything change for anybody over that period- songs (or the album in general) getting stronger or weaker with repeated listenings? General thoughts?

In some ways, I'm still amazed that the album is as good as it is. With Ed's more recent health issues (which were unknown to me until recent interviews) and the discord that has historically been around the band, I'm still a bit surprised they were able to make an album at all, much less one that kicks ass. Repeated listenings have just reinforced what I felt 6 months ago- the guys were confident and motivated and the result speaks for itself.

For me, my biggest "gainer" over the months has been As Is. I liked it originally, but my appreciation for it has really grown over the months- it's one of the top tracks for me. On a sort of flip side, I was hoping I'd warm up more to Big River, Stay Frosty and TTWN. Didn't happen. I like those tunes, but they weren't able to climb out of my second tier of tunes in to the first tier.

Anybody else? Thoughts?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good question. I still love the whole damn CD, but if I were to pick a "gainer" it would be Tattoo. One early review of this song, from before any of us heard it, was that it was a "grower". It sure has grown on me, especially since hearing it take on a bit more life live. I also like Big River more now that I've been hearing it on TV in sporting events. Heard it a lot during Flyers-Devils games.

I genuinely hope that the February surprise that the band has alluded to is another batch of slamming tunes.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I'm surprised that I don't listen to it as much as I thought I would. Part of that is due to that fact that I can only listen to CVH when the sun is shining, and the sun doesn't shine much here! Aside from that it probably means that whilst I like the album (a lot) I feel that some of Dave's work on it is a little underwhelming in places - The Trouble WIth Never annoys me, for instance.

But when I crank it what I hear is HUNGER. And if you'd told me that the new VH record would sound hungry this time last year I'd have laughed.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

fourthcoming
    AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    AS IS was an instant classic for me anyway. I think the tune that grew on me the most is You And Your Blues. It just seems like a perfectly constructed song. I love this album.

Big River and Outta Space...best 2 CVH songs on there.

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    I still play it almost daily...impossible to put faves in order..Honeybabi.. is still my fave..agree AS IS has really grown on me..Tattoo is only song I skip over at times..
    I had listened to Tattoo so many times (and fucking loved it) before my CD arrived that I skipped it every time I listened, which is almost twice daily. On the way to and from work.

Anyways, about 2 months ago I gave it a spin. This song absolutely kicks ass. Especially when fully cranked on a nice system. From the last verse through to the end it just charges like a fucking runaway stampede.

So yeah... I guess I like Tattoo again.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    The thing I realized (duh) was that this whole CD is very adult with barely an expletive to be heard.
    Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Apart from "Sinners Swing", I don't remember any expletives on the old albums either.
    Dave has class... 'til you realize what he's singing about.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm still in awe of the overall sound.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    outta space definitely grew. seemed like a kinda stupid title, initially. and really, aliens? but each time it starts up, i'm going, "holy shit, does this thing cook." fast in, fast out. outta space, indeed.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am still loving it , think hbsd and as is are in the top three tracks on it along with blood and fire which to me was the single , the opening salvo of told you I was coming back would have been a cool way to say hey we're back here is the first single
    fuck your fucking framing

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Still loving the album on a whole. Grower = Tattoo. I used to start the CD at track 2 for ages, then a few weeks ago I forgot and listened to Tattoo. And loved it. Track I have gone off and now skip = Trouble With Never.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are a few tracks I still listen to regularly,Mainly Tattoo and China town but I have not played the whole album for some time.I still like the album but when i want to listen to Van Halen i tend to go for Van Halen 1
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i've been saying all along tattoo is killer... yeah i skipped it in the early days too, anyone remember my vehement stance against listening to snippets?
    driving home with the adkot blasting was one of the best moments in my life.
    blood and fire is amazing. stay frosty has some of ed's best work ever. big river is epic. as is speaks for itself. wolf owns hbsd. the trouble with never.. just for that line, 'when was the last time ya did somethin for the first time!' and the hendrixy vibe. outta space.
    i can't pick a weakest song...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting thoughts so far, particularly about Tattoo, which seems to be getting more love (or at least more appreciation). I like the song, but for me personally, I would've preferred a "Hey fuckers, we're back!!" type rocker as the first single- China Town, As Is, or Outta Space would've fit the bill nicely in that regard.

I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks after the album had been released and we thought a good alternate title for the album could be Return of the King because Ed's guitar work is just a great return to form. Just top shelf from start to finish. The rest of the album outside of Ed ain't too shabby either!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    ...a good alternate title for the album could be Return of the King because Ed's guitar work is just a great return to form. Just top shelf from start to finish. The rest of the album outside of Ed ain't too shabby either!
    Could be another topic all together, but I think a cool alternate title would be "In a World Without End". I love Dave's delivery of that line in Stay Frosty.

fourthcoming
    Or another album title could be....'Guess what Fuckers, we're back!!!'

fourthcoming
    Ok....that was childish....but it's such a great comeback album.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    how about 1985.
    Like any thing after 1984 hadnt happened

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dejavu time guys. Those both sound like titles from a "Guess the next album title" thread!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    couldnt resist

fourthcoming
    I wanted ADKOT to be titled Van Halen VII. I had heard that was the tentative title for the next album before the roof caved in in '85.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That damn roof.

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love "Outta Space". Old f**king School, crank it up and let her rip. "Tattoo" is a keeper especially now that is has context (songs on the rest of the "album"). Catchy. "As Is", "Chinatown"... the power trio on fire. Thunder Funk of "The Trouble With Never" is awesome. Each song has its own story and sound and... I'm drinking the Kool Aid. Love each one.

ADKOT is "different"... but the same, too. I think it is beyond what I expected... and I expected a lot. Love it and it is a big part of my iPod rotation.

Stay Frosty, my friends.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by riggodrill44 View Post
    ADKOT is "different"... but the same, too.
    The hardest trick to pull off and they sure did! Ross Hogarth described that very challenge and I'm glad he was part of it. Sounds like he had the right approach towards marrying the old sound with the new.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As strong as the "vault" tunes are on this album, I'm a bit surprised that none of them made it on to any of the previous six albums, particularly Diver Down, with its dearth of originals.

Any vault tunes out there that you'd like to see dusted off and polished up? I'd be interested to hear an updated Babe Don't Leave Me Alone.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The circumstances of Diver Down, as I understand it, was that originally there was supposed to be a Live album released in 1982, and that would have bought the band some time before the next record had to be made. But at the last minute, for whatever reason this plan got scrapped, and this left the band on the hook to release an album, according to the terms of their WB contract.

It's not that recording an album within a week or so was problematic for Van Halen - it's exactly what happened with VHII. Difference there is that whole album was already written, and they had been playing the material live for years. And even WACF was mostly stuff they had in the can, even reaching back to the bands earliest demos for songs like "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme".

Fair Warning was the first album they had to write almost entirely from scratch ("Mean Street" being the exception, being a reworked "Voodoo Queen" with a breakdown piece of the original "She's The Woman" thrown in) so that left them with no material ready and the sudden unexpected need to crank out an album. Obviously they managed to turn a song called "Last Night" into "Hang Em High", but my guess is they passed on doing so with other old songs, because Fair Warning had been an obvious departure from the 73-76 material that dominated the first three albums, that they didn't feel comfortable going back in time so soon after that. So they wrote a couple of new songs, and filled the rest of the space with covers (and even so, at barely over 33 minutes, made their shortest album)

As for why they took this approach with the new album? Apparently Wolfie had a lot to do with it. Somebody turned the boy loose in the vaults, and he probably said "Fuckin A, dad! I can't believe you never released this! Let's put it on the new album"

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I suppose the bottom line is that there's a time and place for everything and they felt it wasn't the time or place to mine the vaults further for Diver Down beyond Last Night. I guess Last Night fit or seemed appropriate to where they were at that time. The vault tunes sound great on ADKOT, so I guess that's all that matters, really.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, even though they dragged "House of Pain" out of the cobwebs for 1984, it was almost a completely different song from the one that should have been on the first album (but somehow got cut from it. I'd bet there's a finished take of that song from late 1977 in a vault somewhere, with the ending fading into the car horn noise and RWTD, just as it did in the original demo)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Any vault tunes out there that you'd like to see dusted off and polished up? I'd be interested to hear an updated Babe Don't Leave Me Alone.
    Your pick and...

Take It Back (Believe Me)
    Light In The Sky
    The Shape Your In
    Get The Show On The Road
    Honolulu Baby
    Here's Just What She Wanted
    Eyes Of The Night

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I admit I had not listened to this since April. After seeing this thread I blasted it out again last night. Sorta like falling in love again.

Absolutely KICKASS album!

They did such a great job on everything connected with this! The songs are great, the production is good, the publicity they did at Cafe Wha? and Henson and everything was spot on.

For once everything fell into place.

Oh, and I got to see one of the shows on the tour too!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This a topic I planned to handle a few weeks ago, but my computer got some wicked bad virus. Now that I am up and running....

Like most of us, after this album first came out, it playing constantly at my place. Indefinite loop. After a couple weeks, I put the songs on my iPod playlist and visited them at random until about June. Then I put them up. I wanted some space to let the songs marinade in mind. About 2 weeks ago, I pulled them back out and this is what I came up with: (If I may be so bold)

Tattoo: 3.5/5 Stars. I cranked this song all the time until the CD came out. Suffered a little burn out on this one. Now, it's a great tune. The "first single" debate will continue here as long as this site continues and I can see both sides of the argument. Bottom line, great tune, might be my favorite solo on the album (the descending part RULES!)

She's the Woman 4/5. Love how this song kicks in. Not much to say but great classic VH tune.

You and Your Blues 3/5. I like this. Great groove. I love the lyrics.

Chinatown 2/5. I get where everyone like this song. I can completely respect the musicianship on this. It just doesn't hit me.

Blood and Fire 3/5. I like it, but not as much as some. Song sounds disjointed at times to me. GREAT lyrics.

Bullethead 3/5. Solid. Nothing stands out.

As Is 5/5. NOW the CD starts for me. This song KICKS. Not enough can be said. Great riff, great lyrics. Love the break. Best song on the CD.

Honeybabysweetiedoll 4.5/5. Remember the 30 sec. slivers we got to hear before the album came out? I thought this song was gonna suck out loud. Man, was I surprised! Second best song. Experimental but still VH.

The Trouble With Never 3.5/5. Poppy, I get it. Hendrex-esque opening is cool. Friends of mine that aren't VH fans ( I know, I need better friends) like this the best off the album.

Outta Space 4.5/5. Just more classic VH. Never liked the Let's Get Rockin' lyrics. You could tell they were written by a high school kid. Step up in the lyric department for me.

Stay Frosty 4.5/5. Its an easy out to call this a "Ice Cream Man rip off". This song is the essence of VH. If I were to name one song that sums up this band, it might be this one. Bar band on 11. Sense of humor. Good time music. That is VH.

Big River 5/5. I love this tune. See Outta Space.

Beats Workin' 3.5/5. Another tune that the 30 sec. clips didn't do justice. Nice ending to the CD.

There you have it. I know this is a Dave site and all, but IMHO, this album is a triumph of Edward Van Halen. As a child of the late 70's early 80's that just happened to play guitar, Ed was/is my idol. There is alot of animosity towards him on this site and I made excuses for him for years, but after 1996, he was dead to me. Until this year. He put his demons, both personal and chemical, behind him to prove, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, that is is a legend in the world of guitar. I think the lyrics to "Blood and Fire" could very well be about him.

This CD also proves who the heart of the band was, David Lee Roth. I look at the Brothers Van Halen as the body of a Maserati. It's a shell, doesn't move. Dave is a 12 cylinder monster. Dangerous and exciting. He who shall not be named is like a 6 cylinder that your would find in most Honda Civics. It's safe and your mom likes to drive it. Then there was the Chevy Volt engine, but I'll ignore that. The 12 cylinder is back in this bad boy and pedal is to the floor. Thanks Dave!

I find interesting that the "best" songs on this album to most of us (As Is, HBSD) are new tunes. Shows that the guys still have it.

I think it is still early to put this CD up with the six pack, but I can see me listening to this CD for a while.
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    if nitro sees that 12 cyl comment.........
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great thread. I listened to it almost daily for 5 months. Then stayed away from it until about a week ago. I missed it ! It's a great listen overall. I agree with Steve Vai in that interview. It's almost too heavy of a production ! But I didn't get how he said he couldn't listen to the whole album at once ? Whatever. It is a great comeback album without question, even if you don't love all of it. Hell the only original album I love all the way through is VH II. I just hope it sold enough copies throughout the world to in their mind, justify making at least one more ! I want one more ! Anyone else ? Lol. I could use a couple more tunes like As Is & Honeybaby. Instant classics to me. Even if the bullshit radio stations don't play them. Their loss !

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The circumstances of Diver Down, as I understand it, was that originally there was supposed to be a Live album released in 1982, and that would have bought the band some time before the next record had to be made. But at the last minute, for whatever reason this plan got scrapped, and this left the band on the hook to release an album, according to the terms of their WB contract.

It's not that recording an album within a week or so was problematic for Van Halen - it's exactly what happened with VHII. Difference there is that whole album was already written, and they had been playing the material live for years. And even WACF was mostly stuff they had in the can, even reaching back to the bands earliest demos for songs like "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme".

Fair Warning was the first album they had to write almost entirely from scratch ("Mean Street" being the exception, being a reworked "Voodoo Queen" with a breakdown piece of the original "She's The Woman" thrown in) so that left them with no material ready and the sudden unexpected need to crank out an album. Obviously they managed to turn a song called "Last Night" into "Hang Em High", but my guess is they passed on doing so with other old songs, because Fair Warning had been an obvious departure from the 73-76 material that dominated the first three albums, that they didn't feel comfortable going back in time so soon after that. So they wrote a couple of new songs, and filled the rest of the space with covers (and even so, at barely over 33 minutes, made their shortest album)

As for why they took this approach with the new album? Apparently Wolfie had a lot to do with it. Somebody turned the boy loose in the vaults, and he probably said "Fuckin A, dad! I can't believe you never released this! Let's put it on the new album"
    Well, prior to the announcement of a new album, Ed sounded reluctant to record any new material at all, citing that it would only be compared to Original Van Halen, or some shit...

Well YEAH !!

But what you said FORD is spot on and to me it just proves again that Ed's line of "ten albums in the can" is pure bullshit...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Well, prior to the announcement of a new album, Ed sounded reluctant to record any new material at all, citing that it would only be compared to Original Van Halen, or some shit...

Well YEAH !!

But what you said FORD is spot on and to me it just proves again that Ed's line of "ten albums in the can" is pure bullshit...

I would think he meant ideas for ten albums. The guy doesn't write lyrics I don't think. So other than the old demos & a few unreleased songs they never used it's probably just a bunch of jams & riffs on tape. But who knows with this guy !

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    still can't believe how great it is!!

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also put it away for a couple months and then last week pulled it out again...shes the woman really kicks some ass...as well as honey baby ..as is.. hits you right in the face!!..and big river has really grown on me alot fucking love it!..for me they hit a home run with it no doubt!!

Thread Information