SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Journey Drama: As The Wheel in the Sky Keeps on Turning

Journey’s Jonathan Cain Accuses Neal Schon of ‘Excessive Spending’ in Clash Over Credit Card Access
    The two bandmates are battling in court after Schon accused Cain of blocking access to the group's Amex card

BY CHARISMA MADARANG

NOVEMBER 22, 2022

JOURNEY KEYBOARDIST JONATHAN CAIN and guitarist Neal Schon are battling it out in public over a lawsuit filed by Schon against Cain. In a lawsuit filed last month in California, Schon accused Cain of refusing to give him access to the group’s American Express card and its records, Billboard reported.

Despite continuing to tour together, according to Billboard, Schon wrote on his social media Monday: “The only comment I’ll make at this time is it’s all very unfortunate and (I) tried for over a year to attain all our corporate records for Nomota with many personal e-mails to Jon as well as many legal letter(s) stating it’s my legal right to see all but I was left with no choice but to take it legal. … There’s much more … since I filed I’ll be following my attorneys advice and not speak until we are in court where I’ll not have a problem at all. It is what it is.” Nomota, the company owned by both Schon and Cain, was founded in 1998, and established a 50/50 ownership between the two remaining members.

Cain released a statement Tuesday in response to the lawsuit filed by Schon on Oct. 31, as well as to the guitarist’s public statements on Monday.

“This is a matter that should have been resolved privately,” Cain said Tuesday, according to Variety, “but I am forced to publicly respond now to Neal’s malicious lies and personal attacks on my family and (me) in an effort to garner public support for his ill-conceived lawsuit — a lawsuit that has absolutely no merit.”

Cain added, “Neal has always had access to the credit card statements; what he lacks — and what he is really seeking — is the ability to increase his spending limits. Since Neal decided to publicize what is going on, I can tell you we will present the evidence to the court that shows that Neal has been under tremendous financial pressure as a result of his excessive spending and extravagant lifestyle, which led to him running up enormous personal charges on the band’s credit card account.

The lawsuit follows a previous lawsuit in September by former lead singer Steve Perry. Perry took legal action against both Schon and Cain to stop them from registering federal trademarks on the names of many of the band’s biggest hits, including “Anyway You Want It” and “Wheel In The Sky” (which Perry provided the golden vocals for). Perry, who left Journey in 1998, claimed the trio had an agreement that required unanimous consent for any business decision related to the trademarks and that he had not authorized said consent. The case is currently pending.

RS LINK

The Variety link has more info on the he said she said:
    https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...ss-1235440391/
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-28-2022 at 02:48 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Schon should kick Cain out and put the original Infinity and Evolution band back together.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

FORD (11-28-2022),Mushroom (11-28-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Schon does, however, appear to be considering a personnel change for Journey's 2023 tour. He tweeted a photo of himself with co-founding Journey and Santana keyboardist Gregg Rolie with the caption, "2 original founding members. I think my brother Gregg Rolie should join us for 2023 tour. What do you think, friends? He will spice it up and we will have a great variety of songs to choose from. What would you like to hear for the 50th-anniversary tour?"

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

A bit more here

JOURNEY KEYBOARDIST JONATHAN CAIN and guitarist Neal Schon are battling it out in public over a lawsuit filed by Schon against Cain. In a lawsuit filed last month in California, Schon accused Cain of refusing to give him access to the group’s American Express card and its records, Billboard reported.

By Chris Willman

It may not stop Journey from continuing to tour — and what a frosty green room that may be — but the two remaining original members of the band’s classic lineup, guitarist Neal Schon and keyboardist Jonathan Cain, are squaring off in the court of public opinion as well as in real court, both airing their contentious sides of a lawsuit that Schon filed against Cain.

Cain released a statement Tuesday afternoon in response to the lawsuit Schon filed Oct. 31, as well as to public statements the guitarist made on Monday. Schon is contending in and out of court that he being denied access to the group’s American Express card and its records. Meanwhile, Cain’s lawyer says that Schon’s access to the corporate account needed to have a lid put on it after he allegedly put more than $1 million in “improper personal expenses” on the card.

“This is a matter that should have been resolved privately,” Cain said Tuesday, “but I am forced to publicly respond now to Neal’s malicious lies and personal attacks on my family and (me) in an effort to garner public support for his ill-conceived lawsuit — a lawsuit that has absolutely no merit.”

Cain continued, “Neal has always had access to the credit card statements; what he lacks — and what he is really seeking — is the ability to increase his spending limits. Since Neal decided to publicize what is going on, I can tell you we will present the evidence to the court that shows that Neal has been under tremendous financial pressure as a result of his excessive spending and extravagant lifestyle, which led to him running up enormous personal charges on the band’s credit card account.

“When efforts were made to limit his use of the card to legitimate band expenses, Neal unfortunately decided to attack me rather than trying to get his reckless spending under control,” Cain’s statement concludes. “I am saddened by the situation — for Neal and for our fans — but since Neal filed a lawsuit, I suspect he will not be able to ignore the court like he has ignored the countless financial advisors and accountants he has fired over the past several years who have tried in vain to help him.”

Schon’s lawsuit was filed in Contra Costa in California’s Bay Area and contends that Cain hasn’t turned over financial records which would show the guitarist how much the band allegedly owes him. Among the allegations in the lawsuit, Shon’s attorneys contend that he “has tried to avoid legal action, repeatedly requesting that Cain grant him access to the AMEX account. For many months, Cain and his representatives have represented that Schon would be granted access. But every time Schon contacted AMEX, AMEX informed him that he was still not authorized to access AMEX account records.”

Cain’s contention is that Schon already has access to the American Express card records but has really been looking to get his spending limit raised.

On his social media Monday, Schon wrote, “The only comment I’ll make at this time is it’s all very unfortunate and (I) tried for over a year to attain all our corporate records for Nomota with many personal e-mails to Jon as well as many legal letter(s) stating it’s my legal right to see all but I was left with no choice but to take it legal. … There’s much more … since I filed I’ll be following my attorneys advice and not speak until we are in court where I’ll not have a problem at all. It is what it is.” (Nomota is a company the two founding members started in 1998, after singer Steve Perry had left the band in ’97, establishing 50/50 ownership.)

It wasn’t the first time Schon had publicly expounded on his lawsuit… and in an earlier case, band wives were involved or invoked. In a social media account Schon shares with his wife, he brought up Cain’s wife, evangelist Paula White, saying she had become a party to the band’s banking interests as they “went behind” Schon’s back.

“Thankful for American Express and the Bank for telling Neal Schön the truth about Jonathan Cain and Paula White going behind Neal’s back. Adding Paula White to Journey corporate Banking in 2020 is unethical and unlawful to Neal, he said never do it, they did it anyway. Good for the honest bank rep.”

Cain’s attorney, Alan Gutman of Gutman Law, released his own statement Tuesday, saying: ”The evidence will establish that Schon’s financial crisis has nothing to do with his professed ‘unfettered access to Nomota’s records.’ Our investigation has established that Schon’s personal financial problems resulted solely from his reckless spending, including what preliminarily appears to be charging more than $1 million of improper personal expenses on the band’s corporate Nomota AMEX card. Schon’s complaint is the classic example of desperate people doing desperate things. It’s very unfortunate that Neal — and Neal alone — has created such difficulties for himself and his family through his profligate spending.”

Jonathan Cain, Deen Castronovo, and Neal Schon of Journey perform onstage during the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Festival on September 18, 2021 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for iHeartMedia)
    Getty Images for iHeartMedia
    The motion to dismiss filed by Gutman Law asks to have Miller Barondess, LLP disqualified as Schon’s lawyer, because the firm previously represented Cain and Schon together in 2020 “in a substantially related matter. Accordingly, it is presumed that confidential information was disclosed to Miller Barondess, LLP, and disqualification is mandatory. … Cain would not have disclosed any confidential information regarding his business activities, attitude, philosophy regarding litigation and strategies, if he knew that Miller Barondess would use that confidential information in a lawsuit against him.”

It’s the biggest blowup directly between Cain and Schon since 2017, when Schon went public on social media with complaints that Cain, singer Arnel Pineda and Ross Valory, who was then the group’s bassist, participated in a photo op at the White House with Donald Trump. (Cain’s wife, Paula White, acted as a spiritual advisor to the then-president and delivered the invocation at his inauguration.)

But there have been other issues in the meantime. In 2020 and 2021, the group’s drummer and bassist were severed from the band after a dispute over trademark claims and lawsuits that ended in a settlement.

Meanwhile, Journey is scheduled to hit the road again, schisms and all, starting Jan. 27. The tour goes all the way to a date at the Palm Springs area’s new Acrisure Arena on April 25

The Variety link has more info on the he said she said:
    https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...ss-1235440391/

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Neal Schon has a good reason to fire Cain, the scab singer, and Ross:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post

... Cain, singer Arnel Pineda and Ross Valory, who was then the group’s bassist, participated in a photo op at the White House with Donald Trump. (Cain’s wife, Paula White, acted as a spiritual advisor to the then-president and delivered the invocation at his inauguration.)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Why does that article keep calling Cain a “founding member”?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Why does that article keep calling Cain a “founding member”?
    Because calling him "the pussy who ruined the band" would be too many letters?

9. 3 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (11-30-2022),Terry (11-29-2022),Von Halen (11-29-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I had a friend in San Francisco who booked some studio time for his band and they got bumped out of their slot by Neal Schon. Neal Schon personally apologized and said they were in a real pinch and had to get some stuff recorded ASAP. He helped reschedule a new time at the studio and paid for it. So my ethics bet is on Neal. Honest people don’t do that sort of thing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Neal has been around in the music business a long long time. I know people who have worked with him. Always heard good things.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well I guess it’s biblical. Never trust a guy named Cain.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did Pussy Cain's Trump Loving FundaMENTAList Preacher Wife Steal Journey Money??

nypost.com
    Journey's Neal Schon accuses Trump's spiritual adviser of improperly accessing band's bank account
    Erin Keller

Ugly legal drama continues to rock Journey as founding band member Neal Schon has sent yet another cease-and-desist letter — this time to keyboardist Jonathan Cain’s wife.

Paula White-Cain — a televangelist who has served as former President Donald Trump’s spiritual adviser and delivered the*invocation*at his*inauguration — is being accused of allegedly giving herself access to the band’s bank accounts without Schon’s knowledge or consent, according to a Dec. 12 letter from Schon’s attorney that was obtained by The Post.

But an attorney for White-Cain, 56, warned the public to stop believin’ Schon’s “nonsensical” claim in an exclusive statement to The Post.

The letter is one of several disputes Schon, 68, and Cain, 72, are engaged in — including Cain performing Journey music at a recent*Mar-a-Lago gala. The latest skirmish comes as Journey, a 2017 inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, prepares to embark on a North American tour later this month with fellow ’80s hitmakers Toto.

White-Cain’s signature has appeared on purported Journey-related bank documents since at least July 2020, according to financial paperwork The Post reviewed. In his cease-and-desist letter, Schon asked White-Cain to remove herself from the “Faithfully” band’s accounts by Dec. 27. It’s unclear if that happened.

“We have learned that despite the prior mutual agreement between Mr. Schon and Mr. Jonathan Cain that the business of the band and the Journey Related Entities would be handled only by Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain as individuals, your name appears as an authorized signatory on the City National Bank accounts of Freedom JN LLC,” the cease-and-desist letter states.

“We further demand that you immediately cease and desist and refrain in the future from
    inserting yourself in any business of the band and any legal entities used by the band as this contradicts the existing agreement between Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain,” the letter continues.

Schon’s attorney declined to comment, citing his firm’s policy “not to comment on any ongoing disputes.”

White-Cain’s attorney, Alan Gutman, called Schon’s claim “entirely pretextual.” Cain and White-Cain wed in 2015 after meeting on a Southwest Airlines flight.

“Neal’s attorney recommended Neal and Jonathan own their respective 50% interests in the band’s operating entities through their personal trusts,” reads the Gutman statement provided to The Post.

“Paula is a co-trustee of Jonathan’s personal trust, therefore, Jonathan and Paula signed as the co-trustees of Jonathan’s personal trust. But that never would have happened if Neal’s lawyer had not recommenced it.”

Gutman said Schon didn’t complain about the arrangement for two years.

“When Neal finally complained (and we do not need to explain the real reason why he started complaining, which had nothing to do with fact that Paula was co-trustee of Jonathan’s trust or listed on any papers), Jonathan offered to have his ownership interest transferred from his personal trust to him personally,” the statement continues.

“While that offer would have resolved the issue, Neal refuses to cooperate in any resolution, once again demonstrating that the claim is entirely pretextual.”

Journey has sold over 100 million albums — and the stadium anthem “Don’t Stop Believin'” has surpassed 1 billion Spotify streams. Twenty-five of Journey’s songs — including “Open Arms,” “Who’s Crying Now” and “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” — charted on the Billboard Hot 100.

“Journey’s Greatest Hits” is one of three albums ever to spend 600 weeks on the Billboard 200 — joining Pink Floyd’s*“The Dark Side of the Moon”*and Bob Marley and the Wailers’*“Legend.”

A source tells The Post that Schon was in “disbelief and shock” when he allegedly heard from the bank that White-Cain had access to the accounts.

Schon addressed the dispute in a Nov. 21 post to the Facebook account he shares with his wife, Michaele, a former cast member of “The Real Housewives of DC,” who infamously crashed a White House state dinner in 2009.

“This is a BEAUTIFUL life and more than enough for all, why do people bite the hand that feeds them? Greed. Jealousy. Envy. Neal agreed to make Cain a partner in 2020 because Jon Cain said he was sorry for the wrong doings he did and Neal forgave him, with the belief that someday Cain said he would pay him back,” the post reads.

“Cain hasn’t paid him yet. Jon Cain and Paula White added her name, Paula White, on the Journey bank account behind Neal Schön’s back and violated his directive as The President and Founder of Journey, against Neal’s wishes and per the court agreement. The Bank just informed that they did this in 2020.”

The statements were made three weeks after Schon filed a lawsuit against Cain in October, seeking “full access” to records pertaining to Journey’s American Express account.

“The AMEX account is a Journey account, not a personal account of Cain. On information and belief, millions in Journey funds have flowed through this AMEX account,” reads the Schon suit, which was filed in California.

Cain’s response to the complaint is due Jan. 13, and a case management conference has been scheduled for March 2, online court records show.

In November, Cain’s lawyer told Variety that Schon’s access needed to be cut off after he allegedly charged more than $1 million in “improper personal expenses.”

Cain provided his own statement to the outlet, claiming the lawsuit has “no merit.”

“Neal has*always had access to the credit card statements; what he lacks — and what he is really seeking — is the*ability to increase his spending limits,” his statement reads.

“Since Neal decided to publicize what is going on, I can tell you we will present the evidence to the court that shows that Neal has been under*tremendous financial pressure as a result of his excessive spending and extravagant lifestyle, which led to him running up*enormous personal charges on the band’s credit card account.”

As for Schon’s and Cain’s relationship heading into the tour that kicks off Jan. 27 in Oklahoma, the source says they are “business partners that don’t speak.”

“Neal is there for the music, the fans and the brand. That’s what he’s all about,” the source said.

The source added that White-Cain has only accompanied the band for a few stops in the past, and there’s “hope” she doesn’t join the new tour leg. The concerts are in support of Journey’s “Freedom” album, which was released last summer.

Schon’s attorney, meanwhile, sent Cain a separate cease-and-desist on Dec. 16 to stop him from playing the band’s music at Trump events after he did so — with the help of background singers Marjorie Taylor Greene,*Kimberly Guilfoyle*and*Kari Lake*— at a*Mar-a-Lago gala in November.

“Although Mr. Cain is free to express his personal beliefs and associations, when he does that on behalf of*Journey*or for the band, such conduct is extremely deleterious to the Journey brand as it polarizes the band’s fans and outreach. Journey is not, and should not be, political,” reads the Schon letter obtained by The Post.

Journey band members used to agree they would “stay in their lane” and not get involved in politics. Schon’s attorney is claiming the band’s fans are “up in arms” over Cain’s affiliation with Trump.*

“Mr. Cain has no right to use Journey for politics,” the letter continues. “His politics should be his own personal business. He should not be capitalizing on Journey’s brand to promote his personal political or religious agenda to the detriment of the band.”

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Schon has to be crazy to be planning a tour with the Pussy while he's suing him. The smart thing to do would be to get Gregg Rolie & Steve Perry in a conference call, put the authentic Journey lineup together for a farewell tour, and don't play any songs that would make any money for Pussy Cain or his delusional FundaMENTAList wife.

Yeah, I know the chances of Journey playing a gig without "Don't Stop Believin" are about as likely as a blizzard in Hell, but maybe if they played it without the keyboard parts, they could cheat Cain out of his royalties? I'm sure Rolie could write a whole new arrangement on his own keyboards, maybe?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    don't play any songs that would make any money for Pussy Cain or his delusional FundaMENTAList wife.
    No one would go see that. Are you off your meds? Or on some really good illicit ones?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think a Journey set that was made up of mostly Infinity/Evolution/Departure songs would do well, as long as it was performed by the band that actually made the records. To fill out the set they could play some of the older pre-Steve Perry stuff. Hell, if Toto's the opening act, they could even bring Steve Lukather on as a guest, and they could do some of the old Santana stuff. Watched an old concert by Ringo Starr's All Starr Band last weekend, and Rolie & Lukather were both in the lineup, and they pulled off the Santana songs flawlessly. Oddly enough Rolie didn't play any Journey songs on that tour. Who knows, maybe Ringo doesn't like Journey??

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Poor legal and money management. You don’t ever want to bring spouses into a business partnership. That’s asking for trouble and you really should have two signatories on expenses. Credit cards can get out of hand. Best avoided if you can do it.

Many bands are about the money and members can’t stand each other. Once off stage they are into separate vehicles and separate hotels. That’s not uncommon.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The best part of Journey was Steve Perry’s singing. It was good in the day but I listen to those songs now and they seem dated. Who would want to see Journey now? Just two old fucks arguing over a poorly structured Limited Liability Company that could be structured better. Not an uncommon story.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    At the close of 2014, musician Jonathan Cain of the rock band Journey finalized his divorce from his second wife and became engaged to White, whom he had been seeing during his marriage. On April 27, 2015, the couple married, White becoming step-mother to his children.[75]

She’s a piece of work. Lived on welfare for a few years until her church started making money and could pay her a salary then the church got foreclosed on. Cain was cheating on his wife seeing her. So the minister was a mistress. Of course Trump wanted private Bible studies with her because she’s a good looking blonde. Duh. A loose one at that.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Televangelist is another word for con artist. Definitely not who you want on your bank signature card.

Thread Information