Dave's art. Ed's guitar. Separated at birth?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    Anyway, you remember that time Ted Nugent was 30 and was dating a 17 year old...sorry, wrong thread.
    Typical 70’s rock star shit. That’s what Ted was. Let’s see what we can get away with and be as shocking as possible while doing it.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      He's gotten stranger as he's gotten older, which is to say I find his outward/public persona behavior more and more odd with each passing year.

Is what one sees what one gets with Dave in private vs. public? Only Dave's sheepdogs and hairless Asian 'houseboy' know for sure.

Kinda like that pic Dave posted of himself after somebody had trespassed onto his property, where Roth was decked out in military gear with (if memory serves) a gun at his side: seemed far more weird than cool, in me wondering why [Roth] felt dressing like that and posting a pic of that seemed like a good idea to him.
      It’s insecurity. Insecure people are very calculating on creating a badass image. You will never get to know the real Dave. He doesn’t want anyone to see that and he probably doesn’t know who that is either.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Dave has doubled down on it which is a bad idea true or not.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

It amazes me how much people obsess over that guitar. What made that piece of junk sound magical was the guy who played it. Anyone else could play it and they would sound like them. When I see the Frankenstrat I definitely don’t think about Dave, spandex makes me think of Dave.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Is it that inconceivable to think Dave suggested Ed "tape up" his guitar for presentation purposes??

Like this is DLR we're talking about. Ed and Al were shirt and jeans dudes. DLR made CVH burst into technicolor!

Um yeah I'm going to believe a guitar world schmuck than people who were actually there.

Why is Dave saying this now? Who knows. Then again, he's went into the story before I believe on his radio show years back.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              It amazes me how much people obsess over that guitar. What made that piece of junk sound magical was the guy who played it. Anyone else could play it and they would sound like them. When I see the Frankenstrat I definitely don’t think about Dave, spandex makes me think of Dave.
              I think Wolfgang said recently Ed viewed it as a piece of shit and it was just kept lying about on the floor until it ended up in the museum. I'm sure if you played it then it would be way worse than a $500 EVH guitar but middle aged stockbrokers want to believe that if only they but a replica of it for $25000 they will suddenly get great at guitar. I think part of this is because the tapping bit in Eruption can be done after 6 months of taking up guitar people thought/think that their playing will continue rise at that level and when after 5 or 10 or 20 years they still can't play half of the rest of it they think it's something you can just throw money at.

I've done it myself - I remember buying books of guitar tabs back in the day assuming that I would then be able to play stuff ignoring that

a) If I bought sheet music to a Bach concerto would I expect to suddenly be able to play that on piano?
              b) A lot of the tab books weren't accurate at all. Nowadays YouTube is also often wrong but at least it's free, you have video and you can shop around.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The most important part about a guitar is the setup. The nut needs to be cut at the right depth or anything else you do won’t make it better. The neck needs to be straight and then it’s a combination of neck relief and saddle height to get the right action. You can get lower action with properly leveled frets and a compound radius neck but I can make a 12 inch radius neck play great in the upper registers.

Yeah pickups make a difference but if you can’t get most of your sound from your hands all the other stuff isn’t going to help you. It’s like golf. If you can’t play worth shit with a cheap set of clubs a expensive set isn’t going to help you. You have to get your swing down before the equipment really matters that much.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

There are no magic black boxes. Ed could sound like himself playing a Fender Squire beginners set through the cheap little amp that comes with it. Would he sound better through his rig? Sure. But he would sound good on the $150 beginner’s rig.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's the exact same thing with Slash and Prince where you can now buy very expensive copies of their original cheap guitars. Pay tens of thousands for a copy of a copy like that will somehow give you talent.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Ed calls the Frankenstrat a piece of shit in this video and wonders why he played it all those years. Ha! Ha!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I could be wrong but I imagine things maybe went like this.

Dave is talking to Alex and they they laugh about how Dave suggested copying the punk band guitar and how that became such a big thing for Ed.

Dave mentions it publicly. There is push back, he doubles down now on it.

Here is where it's fucking dumb. No one wants to hear this shit, it's taking something iconic away from a hero to millions who is only dead a year. Secondly does he think the only possible corroborating witness in the room Alex is going to step up and take that away from his brother and then you add in the legal shit of it being a trademarked brand and so on?

Fucking idiotic from Roth. As a chess player he should have been able to think at least 1 move ahead on this...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I should point out despite my posts in this thread I don't give a shit about any of this, just making conversation.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's the exact same thing with Slash and Prince where you can now buy very expensive copies of their original cheap guitars. Pay tens of thousands for a copy of a copy like that will somehow give you talent.
                            Yeah that Hohner Prince played was a cheap guitar. He also used BOSS stomp boxes to get his tone. He just had his amp set clean. Sounded great with him playing.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              I could be wrong but I imagine things maybe went like this.

Dave is talking to Alex and they they laugh about how Dave suggested copying the punk band guitar and how that became such a big thing for Ed.

Dave mentions it publicly. There is push back, he doubles down now on it.

Here is where it's fucking dumb. No one wants to hear this shit, it's taking something iconic away from a hero to millions who is only dead a year. Secondly does he think the only possible corroborating witness in the room Alex is going to step up and take that away from his brother and then you add in the legal shit of it being a trademarked brand and so on?

Fucking idiotic from Roth. As a chess player he should have been able to think at least 1 move ahead on this...
                              Ed liked to play a 335 Gibson but the rest of the guys in the band hated how it looked. So there was band input on how things looked onstage. But Ed said he painted up his guitar and when he brought it to band practice the other guys liked it. Ed talked about it in interviews for years and he never said Dave ever had any input on what he did to his guitars. Dave had input on songs and the live show.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ed also said for years that Dave 'just wrote the lyrics' and that he didn't use any effects on his guitar.

Comment

Working...