Van Halen or Mammoth : Gentlemen of Leisure 1974 (Maybe even 73')

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

You think they had enough reverb on Dave on the Take Your Whiskey Home clip ??

Thanks for posting that...I have it somewhere but my stuff is so disorganized...

Hopefully that's gonna change with this new CP!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
      Or not? Maybe Sobolewski IS on this one?
      I don't think so...

To me, it sounds more like Anthony on the Take Your Wiskey Home clip...

They definately don't sound like the same session though, either way...

Hmmm...

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Angel Eyes though, I'm sure was only recorded this once. Closest thing to a cheese ballad that Van HALEN ever did, and still sounds cooler than anything Hagar wrote......
        Those lyrics are pretty darn Cheesy, but Dave was a kid. Hagar is still writing like that...

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

This could of been worked up into something very cool - that elastic riff is fantastic
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

This song might actually BE from the Cherokee Studios demo.
            HA! FORD, how did you write that above quote and refrain from including the letter "C" in your "BE"? I figured you had a special key on your keyboard that just typed it.

Anyways, all of these old boots are great. It's weird how so many people just think of VH as coming together in 1978 and don't really realize they were crankin' 'em out for years before that. How many people have we heard say that Sam was in the band longer than Dave 1978-1985? Cool stuff indeed.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
              HA! FORD, how did you write that above quote and refrain from including the letter "C" in your "BE"? I figured you had a special key on your keyboard that just typed it.
              He had to run to walmart after that post. He spilled his Manny's Pale Ale into his keyboard...

Hey FORD, is this your lame-ass copy Sarge site ??

They even have ford2002 and elvis f christ as members...

Comment

• if6was9
                Head Fluffer
                • Mar 2007

"Gentlemen of Leisure" - I don't believe it's Michael Anthony on bass. He has never felt a funky groove.
                Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Dec 2008

And here's "Simple Rhyme" from that demo....... (NOT from 76)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jOUqG4Wi354&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color 2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jOUqG4Wi354&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color 2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Or not? Maybe Sobolewski IS on this one?
                  Good stuff, thanks for posting Ford. Never heard that version before. They sure had fire back in the day.........
                  I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by if6was9
                    "Gentlemen of Leisure" - I don't believe it's Michael Anthony on bass. He has never felt a funky groove.

sure he has. if anything Stone doesn't "feel a funky groove"... The best Anthony stuff is found on early cvh boots.
                    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• if6was9
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Big Troubles
                      sure he has. if anything Stone doesn't "feel a funky groove"... The best Anthony stuff is found on early cvh boots.
                      If he'd ever had it, he must have lost it somewhere between the club days and VHI. There's always a third option - Ed overdubbing the bass line.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Bullshit!

Michael Anthony is a great bass player...and Push Come's To Shove has a very funky bass line...

Or listen closely to the bass in Girl Gone Bad, or "Dirty Movies"

The bass in those songs is both heavy and funky at the same time...

Comment

• At0micPunk
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Bullshit!

Michael Anthony is a great bass player...and Push Come's To Shove has a very funky bass line...

Or listen closely to the bass in Girl Gone Bad, or "Dirty Movies"

The bass in those songs is both heavy and funky at the same time...

I agree and Push is one of my favorite VH tunes. Was that all Mike though?
                          I always assumed it was but there is/has been talk that Ed played bass on some tracks in CVH and in FW specifically I think? A lot of bullshit gets tossed around over the years though. I've never heard anything definitive on which track Ed DID record the bass lines for. You guys have info on that?

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Ed recorded NO bass on any CVH song...

The music was always recorded live in the studio with a few guitar overdubs by Edward here and there...

Comment

• if6was9
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2007

These are pretty good tracks, but...
                              "Push" - some octaves like in a 70's disco
                              "Dirty Movies" - nice harmonics, some 7-8 hammering, but the rest of the track he just follows Alex' bass drum. I know it's not bad, but not great as well
                              "Girl Gone Bad" - follows bass drum and Ed's riff, nothing new (the same with "Gentlemen", so mayby it's MA)
                              Last edited by if6was9; 04-28-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                                Ed recorded NO bass on any CVH song...

The music was always recorded live in the studio with a few guitar overdubs by Edward here and there...

Then why did they take Sobolewski off the credits of the 1984 album?

Not that he ever wrote ANY of the songs, but they always split the publishing 4 ways to avoid arguments. Yet when the Remasters came out in 2000, suddenly Mikey's not credited on that album, but still on the others.

What's the difference? My guess is that Mikey didn't have any participation at all in the making of that album (aside from backing vocals).

And the whole "live" recording thing was really only the first three albums anyway. Eddie overdubbed half the guitar parts on Fair Warning, and he usually did so late at night when the rest of the band had gone home (hence the incident where he allegedly told Chaim Witz that he was ready to quit VH and join KISS. )
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...