X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    No. Just not so fucking ridiculously retarded...

Well that's George Lucas and his propensity to try to dumb down the Star Wars franchise to a seven year olds' level so he can sell more fucking toys. He got away with it in the 80's because Empire was dark and critically praised, and people would overlook the Ewoks with the final battle between Luke and the Emperor for the soul of Darth to play out. Then he had to go back to his instincts of Sharking that led us to the shit-storm known as The Phantom Menace. The Ewoks were just a prelude to Jar Jar Binks and masturbatory CGI that was Menace...
    I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

To give context to my comment .... I crack the same gag and then explain it every couple of months lol
      I work with a guy who comes out with classic crazy comments he doesn’t mean to say .

Whilst discussing star wars he said he never got the whole thing and that while empire was ok Jedi was too far fetched . We were like wtf it’s all far fetched.

I laugh when I think about it. I think I aim it at sesh on a irregular basis and chuckle.
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
        Wow I watched that episode and my only minor concern is why Klingons don’t look like they will in ten years in the oringnal Star Trek.
        Criminal from the original show Harry Mudd appears in the next episode - I wonder if he looks the same...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.
          I guess that he came up with shit movies, that did get a bit better by the end. I mean, it was like Boston's Third Stage album, pretentious guys taking forever to churn out something that really wasn't all that great...

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.
          Oh yeah, I know Star Wars can't always be Blade Runner. But what made them early ones (the first two) great were the conflicts and the darker aspects...

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I seem to remember people not liking Kate Mulgrew as a starship captain and Star Trek lead.

One of the sites ran an article about the Klingon forehead thing but I can't find it now. Maybe it was Gizmodo.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Oh yeah... these new Klingons??

What the FUCK??

This series supposedly takes place BEFORE the original Star Trek. Yet the Klingons of the 1960s series were basically humans with funny haircuts and beards (see the Trouble with Tribbles episode) and by the time of the 80s movies & Lt Warf joining Picard's crew, they had "evolved" to having the lobster foreheads.

So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)
                  Or on a more minor note to the Star Trek cannon, an instant warp drive-hopping system that doesn't exist in any prior timeline...

But overall I like it and think Isaacs makes up for a lot of weaknesses in the Series as Capt. Lorca...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                      So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??
                      Apparently it was all explained in Enterprise?

I'm not bothered enough to go there...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I could never get past the cheese ballad theme song long enough to watch a full episode of "Enterprise".
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Me neither, I believe it's reckoned to be the worst of all of the series.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It was fraught with bad acting and unlikable characters and stupid premises (i.e. riffing off the Deep Space Nine Continuum War thing) that really didn't need to exist to make a decent show showing the early, fetal Federation, IIRC...
                            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-16-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.
                              Nope. Now happy gay Broadway actors can be used apparently...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

But whether scrapped or not, it does seem rather out of place and weird since there is no mention of it in the original series being prequeled. I do recall something about Starfleet not being allowed to use cloaking technology because of a severe treaty over-site or something, but that doesn't explain the hop thing, I think it was on The Next Generation but it made no sense...

Comment

Working...