Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

MA talks about unreleased material

https://themusicuniverse.com/michael...-era-reissues/

“We’re gonna go through all the Sammy stuff and there’s other stuff that we’re going through — different recordings and stuff like that. Interestingly enough, we got [former Van Halen studio engineer] Donn Landee… he’s kinda overseeing the whole thing,” Anthony shares. “Right now, I’m just hearing about it as they’re announcing, but there is a plan of what we’re going to do. I’m obviously going to be vocal about it because I would like to have kinda hand in there, even if it’s just sonically, certain things are sounding like and what Donn’s doing. And hopefully we’ll be following up and doing Roth stuff, too. Who knows?”

Anthony also states the future releases would likely include previously unreleased studio material.

“There is movement in there and we’re digging back into stuff,” he confirms. “Obviously, there’s a lot more stuff even at Ed’s 5150 studio — a lot of that stuff. I know either Wolfie or Alex will start going through that stuff there and seeing what there is, but yeah, there’s a ton of stuff.”

Anthony also confirms he has his own archive of videos that have never been released.

“I do have videos. I used to know people that collected really quality bootleg stuff. I’ve got stacks of bootleg stuff. I’ve got shows that are almost album quality that I’ve gotten from certain people that used to dig around and find stuff for me. You know, just back in the day there was always that one sound guy who would accidentally record something — record a live show for himself (laughs), all of a sudden there it is. I’ve got a bunch of stuff like that,” he adds. “I do have some video. That’s one thing that we didn’t do a hell of a lot that we probably should’ve done was where everybody started doing behind-the-scenes stuff, studio stuff, whatever… Very early 80s or whatever, you’d play somewhere like the Capital Center in Maryland or something like that — and they would record it for us, you know, and I’ve got a few videos — live videos like that — that the house would do for you… that have never been out.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

They all have tapes of shows from the CVH days.

That includes Dave, Al, Mike, even Pete Angelus.

So why don't they all come together, pull in whatever they have and release a stellar CVH live album along with video. It could be a box set collection of live songs 1978-1984.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The Brothers' biggest mistake was letting that Faker Hagar in the band. His mediocre, made for children garbage can't hold Classic VH's jockstrap, yet many people have been fooled into thinking that VH was one continuous band that just switched singers and carried on. No. It's not at all the same.

4. Thanked MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (03-24-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    "Right now I'm just hearing about it as they're announcing it"...

Doesn't sound much like he's in the loop far as the decision-making goes.

Not even sure how useful it is to know there is unreleased CVH stuff in the private collections of ex-band members: useless to me if I never get to see/hear it.

6. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (03-24-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I used to be excited to finally hear the unreleased studio material from 2000 when they DID start making a reunion album...until I heard that basically it was just early versions of YOU & YOUR BLUES, AS IS, etc. I like that stuff, but it was just fine on ADKOT...and what exists are only demos. Dave wasn't kidding when he said (around 2013 or something) that he and Eddie hadn't written a song together in years.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Who's supposed to be the "we" he uses? He and...?

Don Landee produced Van Hagar, so he isn't concerned with real VH stuff and shouldn't touch, or even brush against it.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Donn Landee produced Van Hagar, so he isn't concerned with real VH stuff and shouldn't touch, or even brush against it.
    That said, as far as I know, Donn Landee was the engineer for the first six records. BUT...as I've pointed out and can be heard in the Sunset Sound YouTube series...a 4-CD box set of outtakes from the six-pack was already produced at Warner's behest around 2004-5 (including remixed versions of the 26 songs for the '77 demo tape) and the brothers vetoed it.

Eddie said in an interview that he wanted to make ANOTHER album (after A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH) around 2013...but Dave dragged his feet (he had already refused to come down to 5150 to make that previous album, doing his own vocals at another studio) and wasn't very interested. So, they ended up going with the live album (an album a lot of fans hate but I happen to enjoy for its rawness).

End of the day, average VH fans wouldn't give a shit about outtakes from 5150, OU812 and the others. Average fans wouldn't give that much of a shit about VHIII outtakes or stuff from its supposed follow-up.

Average VH fans think of the band with Dave. The argument is over. Dave fans won. The band's last eight years of activity proved that.

Average fans want something like the 4-CD set of six-pack outtakes, packaged with a Blu-Ray (or DVD) of classic footage or an entire show from those days. Hell, Noel Monk's inventory lists the master tape of the Capitol Center 1984 pro-shot concert.

And even then, they missed the boat. Archive sets like this used to sell boatloads in the late 90s and into around 2006. Then, the drop-off really started.

But even now, bands like Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, KISS, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones release massive box sets full of material to this day. And there IS a market for them.

Mike hearing something second-hand doesn't exactly give me faith. The guy isn't exactly "in the loop." The last thing he did that was "in the loop" was a shitty "reunion" tour for which he got a pay cut.

Van Halen is the laziest band the world has ever seen. They may still have loyal fans...but they haven't exactly been known for rewarding loyal fans.

John Lennon has been dead since 1980...but he's had more actual releases since his death than the band Van Halen has had since 1980. And that's pretty pathetic.

I won't believe anything 'til I see the press release...and even then I'll still be a little doubtful.

But I won't pretend I wouldn't be excited for such a release, provided it has a lion's share of stuff from the only good frontman the band ever had.

10. 3 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-24-2023),Romeo Delight (03-27-2023),Von Halen (03-24-2023)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Van Halen is the laziest band the world has ever seen. They may still have loyal fans...but they haven't exactly been known for rewarding loyal fans.
    I have been saying this for many many years now. Everybody slags on Gene Simmons, but I wish VH had put out half the stuff he's put out for his fans. But, their lack of care for their fans proves just how fucking great they were. They give us zero extras and we still hang on to hope and we still worship that music.

12. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (03-24-2023),Rikk (03-24-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Don Landee produced Van Hagar, so he isn't concerned with real VH stuff and shouldn't touch, or even brush against it.
    Don Landee engineered the Van HALEN 6 pack, but he's credited as the producer on the first two Van Hagar albums (actually along with the ballad loving pussy Mick Jones from Foreigner on 5150). Those two albums sounded like shit. No I don't mean because of the synthesizers, cheese ballads, or even Hagar's screeching. I mean the actual sound of the recordings. OUsucksass2 was probably the 2nd worst album of 1988 in terms of having no "bottom end" to it at all. The first one was Metallica's "And Justice For All".... but they did it on purpose as some sort of half assed tribute to Cliff Burton, by making his replacement Jason what's his face practically inaudible. Maybe Landee didn't like Sobolewski's bass playing? Who the Hell knows?

14. 3 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-24-2023),Nickdfresh (03-25-2023),Rikk (03-24-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The first one was Metallica's "And Justice For All".... but they did it on purpose as some sort of half assed tribute to Cliff Burton, by making his replacement Jason what's his face practically inaudible. Maybe Landee didn't like Sobolewski's bass playing? Who the Hell knows?
    Metallica has been really good at releasing archive box sets full of amazing bonus material. The band was not known for leaving songs off of albums, but they still dig out everything possible (audio & video) to give fans an overdose of unreleased material every time.

But they REALLY MISSED THE BOAT with the JUSTICE set. I did enjoy the audio/video material in that set...it's an amazing album. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why they didn't think it was finally time to do a thorough remix of the original album. Listen to those JUSTICE songs live in the pro-shot Seattle video that came with BINGE & PURGE. I'm not saying Newsted was as good as Burton...but those songs come to life when you hear them with audible, driving bass lines.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I have been saying this for many many years now. Everybody slags on Gene Simmons, but I wish VH had put out half the stuff he's put out for his fans. But, their lack of care for their fans proves just how fucking great they were. They give us zero extras and we still hang on to hope and we still worship that music.
    Truth. Sho nuff. The band pisses on us for four decades. But we'd still kill to hear some honest-to-goodness outtakes from albums like the debut or DIVER DOWN. No matter how much I resent the band for treating us all like shit, I still get that kick-in-the-ass feeling every time I blare FAIR WARNING in my vehicle.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Don Landee was as legendary in his realm as Eddie and Dave were in theirs. The guy was a true mad scientist. David Bertinelli was sharing some stories about 5150 being built. David’s older brother Drew was the contractor and private studios were against the zoning so they said they were building a racketball court when filed for the building permit. The whole project was motivated by Eddie constantly practicing in the main house and Valerie having to get up real early to be on sets and having to have a quiet atmosphere to memorize scripts. All of Eddie’s noise was driving her nuts. So let’s turn the guest house/gymn into a practice space.

David said Ed wanted some recording equipment to record demo tapes. So Ed and Don Landee got all this used equipment from LA studios. David said he walked in when Don was hooking all the stuff up and he said it was a mess of wires and electrical circuits and he’s thinking holy hell how is he ever going to make all this stuff work? Don got it working after being there for days. Ed was on tour and when Ed came back and Don showed him what could be done with their garage sale equipment Ed is just stoked. He’s like we can make abums here! Why pay some studio when we can record here for free?

Only Don could run the studio. The patch bay was completely unmarked. Only Don had it memorized. 5150 became Ed and Don’s mad scientist laboratory. Don had a reputation around the recording industry is he could fix anything. He knew equipment like no other and he was a true sound engineer. He knew how to make things sound good. You could bring Don in and he could make the magic happen.

18. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-24-2023),VHscraps (03-24-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Don had a reputation around the recording industry is he could fix anything. He knew equipment like no other and he was a true sound engineer. He knew how to make things sound good. You could bring Don in and he could make the magic happen.
    Y'know, I DO love ADKOT. But one thing I wasn't crazy about was the sort of slightly-muffled, over-compressed sound of the album. It sounded nothing like the old days. Now, I know it wasn't the old days anymore...but can you imagine how much better that album could've sounded had Ted & Donn returned and the album be recorded completely at 5150? It's a bit sad. I never cared as much as some of the die-hards that Mikey wasn't back. I think Wolfie is a shitty solo artist, but he held his chops on bass and the backing vocals on ADKOT were adequate (though, admittedly, the magic old harmony sound was lost a bit).

If I had a choice between ADKOT (still a VH album I cherish) being produced better or having Mikey back, I would've chosen it being produced better in a heartbeat. Ted & Donn returning would have made it almost a complete reunion.

Hell, this never would've happened, but imagine if they'd produced it back at Sunset Sound with Donn at the boards. That would have been pretty fucking cool.

20. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (03-27-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And to add to what I just wrote about Mikey and my not caring much that he didn't come back, I always viewed him a bit as the traitor. He went off with Hagar and made an ass of the band's legacy. I don't hate Mikey...I don't even hate Hagar (I still think Montrose was pretty awesome, at least the debut). I just don't think Hagar ever belonged in Van Halen. But Mikey went and fucked off with Hagar and made his loyalties clear. So, if it took Wolfie being Eddie's new musical buddy to get Dave back (it was Wolfie's idea), then great. At least Dave came back.

All I know is...I got to see VH with Dave three times (because I was only 9 when they broke up the first time). I got a 13-song reunion album that I STILL listen to regularly (unlike a lot of reunion albums I own).

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Gene isn’t an egg head musician. Gene is very grounded and always viewed KISS as a business and a brand and he was totally committed to it. Now the artsy fartsy people hate this kind of thinking but marketing is all about matching the product to the customer. KISS were all about giving the fans what they wanted.

Van Halen were so caught up in their own la la land they never really cared about what the fans wanted. VH did what they wanted and were fortunate a lot of people loved what they did. VH was like the soup Nazi. People were willing to put up with bullshit because the soup was so good. VH were lucky that way.

23. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-24-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Around summer 2012, right after my son was born (and a few months before we lost him...we had a daughter in 2014 and life got good again), my wife and I were in the kitchen of our old Chicago apartment (before we bought this nice house). We were blasting A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH while making a nice dinner. And my wife, God bless her, said to me: "You know, there are so many reunion albums and most of them suck. But THIS ALBUM really is one of those rare reunion albums that showcase what makes the band in question GREAT. This is a GREAT reunion album!" And I knew I had married the right woman.

ADKOT isn't perfect...but I think most posters who rag on that album are lying when they bitch too much about it. Most of us are VERY glad that it exists. Who cares if so many of the songs are leftovers from the old demos: THOSE ARE GREAT SONGS, AND THEY NOW FINALLY ARE ON A REAL VH ALBUM.

It's Dave & Eddie together...

...and this is the fucking Roth Army...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

KISS were all about giving the fans what they wanted.
    I met Gene in 1995 at one of the official KISS Konventions when they started doing the Unplugged thing (right before the reunion).

He was very polite and kind with me. Signed everything I gave him.

Both big box sets they've done (DESTROYER and CREATURES OF THE NIGHT) I happily shelled out my money for and I was not remotely disappointed with either of them. They had top-notch outtakes...especially CREATURES (which is one of their better albums, for sure...the only post-70s album they made that can truly stand up with the original band's albums).

The CREATURE box set had a load of unreleased KISS songs in good quality. I've been taking those songs and making my own "new" KISS 1982 studio album from the outtakes from that set on my iTunes...and it kicks ass.

Most KISS archive sets have definitely had a very fan-friendly vibe.

I haven't bothered with the endless pointless hits sets they keep pumping out, and the current band (as far as I'm concerned) isn't really KISS. But KISS have seemed pretty open to giving fans what they want when it comes to opening the vaults.

I DID NOT spend the insane amount of money Gene wanted for his personal Demo Archive set thingy...but I did download it from a torrent site and I've been enjoying the hell out of some of the lost songs that set offers.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Y'know, I DO love ADKOT. But one thing I wasn't crazy about was the sort of slightly-muffled, over-compressed sound of the album. It sounded nothing like the old days. Now, I know it wasn't the old days anymore...but can you imagine how much better that album could've sounded had Ted & Donn returned and the album be recorded completely at 5150? It's a bit sad. I never cared as much as some of the die-hards that Mikey wasn't back. I think Wolfie is a shitty solo artist, but he held his chops on bass and the backing vocals on ADKOT were adequate (though, admittedly, the magic old harmony sound was lost a bit).

If I had a choice between ADKOT (still a VH album I cherish) being produced better or having Mikey back, I would've chosen it being produced better in a heartbeat. Ted & Donn returning would have made it almost a complete reunion.

Hell, this never would've happened, but imagine if they'd produced it back at Sunset Sound with Donn at the boards. That would have been pretty fucking cool.
    5150 was not a great room. Al actually had to use electronic drums to get a good drum sound until a drum room was added to the studio. Ted Templeman liked to mike the room and you couldn’t do that at 5150. He liked Sunset Sound because it had great sounding rooms. Any good sound engineer knows you try and get a good sound in the room first. You take the concert hall approach. You don’t want to use EQ or effects unless you have to.

Now people are so into doctoring the sound with electronics the sound is dead. I still play with a speaker cab on stage. Why? I want my guitar to react with it. I’m sending a line signal to the board using a Friedman Mic No More box but I have a cab on stage because if that cab goes so does all the dynamics of my sound. Sure an engineer could enhance that sound with echo and reverb ect.. but it’s going to sound blah.

27. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-24-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I met Gene in 1995 at one of the official KISS Konventions when they started doing the Unplugged thing (right before the reunion).

He was very polite and kind with me. Signed everything I gave him.

Both big box sets they've done (DESTROYER and CREATURES OF THE NIGHT) I happily shelled out my money for and I was not remotely disappointed with either of them. They had top-notch outtakes...especially CREATURES (which is one of their better albums, for sure...the only post-70s album they made that can truly stand up with the original band's albums).

The CREATURE box set had a load of unreleased KISS songs in good quality. I've been taking those songs and making my own "new" KISS 1982 studio album from the outtakes from that set on my iTunes...and it kicks ass.

Most KISS archive sets have definitely had a very fan-friendly vibe.

I haven't bothered with the endless pointless hits sets they keep pumping out, and the current band (as far as I'm concerned) isn't really KISS. But KISS have seemed pretty open to giving fans what they want when it comes to opening the vaults.

I DID NOT spend the insane amount of money Gene wanted for his personal Demo Archive set thingy...but I did download it from a torrent site and I've been enjoying the hell out of some of the lost songs that set offers.
    KISS Alive I and II are the best workout albums ever. I crank them in the gym.

29. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-24-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saw Ace Frehley a while back. The spaceman was on his game that night. The whole crowd was singing Cold Gin and Ace was loving it. We all had a lot of fun.

31. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-24-2023)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

KISS Alive I and II are the best workout albums ever. I crank them in the gym.
    I'm glad to hear you mention ALIVE II and not just ALIVE. Yeah, ALIVE is superior. It's doctored, but not as doctored as ALIVE II.

But ALIVE II is still a kick-ass album. Not only are the 15 "live" songs freaking amazing (just listen to SHOCK ME or MAKIN' LOVE on that album) but I also really like the five studio songs on that album.

You really can't do more to appreciate the whole KISS experience than just listen to ALIVE and ALIVE II (though I will probably always say that LOVE GUN is my favorite KISS album...and, I don't care if you don't agree, I also love DYNASTY).

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Ace Frehley a while back. The spaceman was on his game that night. The whole crowd was singing Cold Gin and Ace was loving it. We all had a lot of fun.
    Ace is not only my favorite member of KISS but also my second-favorite guitar-player ever. Every solo he put on a song was a full story, with a beginning, middle and end.

Have you heard GENGHIS KHAN off of his ANAMOLY solo album? It's a freaking masterpiece of guitar playing and arrangement.

Incidentally, people here can shoot me for saying this...but my all-time favorite guitarist is NOT Eddie Van Halen (he's probably number 3) but Ritchie Blackmore. His work in Deep Purple and Rainbow just kills me every time. I don't care if Blackmore is supposed to be a piece of crap in real life...he's still a guitar genius.

Eddie is number 3 for me (or tied for number 3 with Hendrix) because he watered down so much of his career with subpar albums and songs. I'm not saying that neither Ace or Blackmore ever made subpar music. I'm just saying: every piece of Ace or Ritchie guitar-playing on all their band or solo work blows me away...whereas Ed went through a period during which his playing simply became not-as-exciting to me...especially during the first half of the 90s. (I still love Ed...I just get more goosebumps these days listening to Blackmore's work on albums like BURN or LONG LIVE ROCK 'N' ROLL.)

Some things'll never change for me:

1) My favorite actors of all-time will always be Steve McQueen & Larry Hagman. Hands down. No competition.
    2) My favorite guitarist will always be Ritchie Blackmore.

(...watch me go put in WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST after I write this and just change my mind...)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    "Right now I'm just hearing about it as they're announcing it"...

Doesn't sound much like he's in the loop far as the decision-making goes.

Not even sure how useful it is to know there is unreleased CVH stuff in the private collections of ex-band members: useless to me if I never get to see/hear it.
    I read about that over on VH Links, where none of those commenting on it seem to have noticed that, if you look at his own words, Mike - as you say - doesn't really seem to be a part of what is going on but is hearing about it second-hand or after the fact.

35. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-26-2023)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Don Landee was as legendary in his realm as Eddie and Dave were in theirs. The guy was a true mad scientist. David Bertinelli was sharing some stories about 5150 being built. David’s older brother Drew was the contractor and private studios were against the zoning so they said they were building a racketball court when filed for the building permit. The whole project was motivated by Eddie constantly practicing in the main house and Valerie having to get up real early to be on sets and having to have a quiet atmosphere to memorize scripts. All of Eddie’s noise was driving her nuts. So let’s turn the guest house/gymn into a practice space.

David said Ed wanted some recording equipment to record demo tapes. So Ed and Don Landee got all this used equipment from LA studios. David said he walked in when Don was hooking all the stuff up and he said it was a mess of wires and electrical circuits and he’s thinking holy hell how is he ever going to make all this stuff work? Don got it working after being there for days. Ed was on tour and when Ed came back and Don showed him what could be done with their garage sale equipment Ed is just stoked. He’s like we can make abums here! Why pay some studio when we can record here for free?

Only Don could run the studio. The patch bay was completely unmarked. Only Don had it memorized. 5150 became Ed and Don’s mad scientist laboratory. Don had a reputation around the recording industry is he could fix anything. He knew equipment like no other and he was a true sound engineer. He knew how to make things sound good. You could bring Don in and he could make the magic happen.
    I can't remember where they got the main desk that they bought for 5150, an old metal army green thing, but it came out of a studio where it had been used to record all sorts of legendary records - from Sinatra to Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas and so on.

I have no idea how or why or when Donn lost his engineering chops, but listen to Little Feat Sailin' Shoes ('72 or '73) through to the six VH albums with DLR and the sound of OU812 is a mystery.

I think the secret is - a bit like VHIII - no one was in charge. What did it say in the credits on the album 'written and performed by Eddie Alex Sammy and Mike, recorded by Donn Landee'. I don't think the word 'producer' or 'engineer' is used on the orginal release of the record. And it sounds like they thought they could just throw anything down on tape and release it.

37. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-25-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear you mention ALIVE II and not just ALIVE. Yeah, ALIVE is superior. It's doctored, but not as doctored as ALIVE II.

But ALIVE II is still a kick-ass album. Not only are the 15 "live" songs freaking amazing (just listen to SHOCK ME or MAKIN' LOVE on that album) but I also really like the five studio songs on that album.

You really can't do more to appreciate the whole KISS experience than just listen to ALIVE and ALIVE II (though I will probably always say that LOVE GUN is my favorite KISS album...and, I don't care if you don't agree, I also love DYNASTY).
    If they weren’t doctored they would just be bootlegs. Let’s just say they were polished. Even pretty girls look better with some makeup.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I can't remember where they got the main desk that they bought for 5150, an old metal army green thing, but it came out of a studio where it had been used to record all sorts of legendary records - from Sinatra to Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas and so on.

I have no idea how or why or when Donn lost his engineering chops, but listen to Little Feat Sailin' Shoes ('72 or '73) through to the six VH albums with DLR and the sound of OU812 is a mystery.

I think the secret is - a bit like VHIII - no one was in charge. What did it say in the credits on the album 'written and performed by Eddie Alex Sammy and Mike, recorded by Donn Landee'. I don't think the word 'producer' or 'engineer' is used on the orginal release of the record. And it sounds like they thought they could just throw anything down on tape and release it.
    Could have come out of Capitol Records. All that equipment was bought used. Don Landee went and found all that stuff. Ed paid $6,000 for that console but it was used in some LA studio. I know it was tube powered. Both Don Landee and Ted Templeman had mental breakdowns. Don kind of cracked up during the 1984 mixdown. He wouldn’t release the master tapes to Warner Brothers. I think Don had just hung in Ed’s world too long. It’s amazing 1984 even came out. Ha! Ha! The drama was pretty bad then. Everyone was losing their marbles.

Ted’s breakdown came later. I guess he just kind of disappeared for awhile and fell into a bad depression. I don’t know what it is about Hollywood but it drives people nutters. Sure drugs are a part of it but there’s something else. If you live in mountain resort towns there’s always a few Hollywood types who say they just had to get away. They trade nice warm weather for snow but being in the complete opposite environment seems to be therapy from whatever demons they picked up in LA. Funny thing is people who worked in Washington DC are the same way. I just had to get away when I no longer had to work there. Washington DC and Hollywood seem to be haunted by the same demons. Ha! Ha!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Bands tend to be self-destructive. There’s a producer for a good reason. An adult needs to be in charge. I think the more control Van Halen had the more the end product suffered. The bottom line is there needs to be some structure. Creative geniuses with emotional and substance abuse issues aren’t exactly great at structure.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ace is not only my favorite member of KISS but also my second-favorite guitar-player ever. Every solo he put on a song was a full story, with a beginning, middle and end.

Have you heard GENGHIS KHAN off of his ANAMOLY solo album? It's a freaking masterpiece of guitar playing and arrangement.

Incidentally, people here can shoot me for saying this...but my all-time favorite guitarist is NOT Eddie Van Halen (he's probably number 3) but Ritchie Blackmore. His work in Deep Purple and Rainbow just kills me every time. I don't care if Blackmore is supposed to be a piece of crap in real life...he's still a guitar genius.

Eddie is number 3 for me (or tied for number 3 with Hendrix) because he watered down so much of his career with subpar albums and songs. I'm not saying that neither Ace or Blackmore ever made subpar music. I'm just saying: every piece of Ace or Ritchie guitar-playing on all their band or solo work blows me away...whereas Ed went through a period during which his playing simply became not-as-exciting to me...especially during the first half of the 90s. (I still love Ed...I just get more goosebumps these days listening to Blackmore's work on albums like BURN or LONG LIVE ROCK 'N' ROLL.)

Some things'll never change for me:

1) My favorite actors of all-time will always be Steve McQueen & Larry Hagman. Hands down. No competition.
    2) My favorite guitarist will always be Ritchie Blackmore.

(...watch me go put in WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST after I write this and just change my mind...)
    Ace had great feel. He still can knock out great songs with interesting riffs and even write good lyrics. His current studio looks amazing. The guy is the real deal. He’s an artist.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Don Landee is the sound engineer who mixed all the classic VH albums. He was the engineer Ted Templeman liked to work with, a personal friend of Eddie Van Halen and well respected by people in the Los Angeles recording industry.

43. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (03-25-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I read about that over on VH Links, where none of those commenting on it seem to have noticed that, if you look at his own words, Mike - as you say - doesn't really seem to be a part of what is going on but is hearing about it second-hand or after the fact.
    Depending on exactly what rights Anthony had signed away over the years he was involved with Van Halen, it could be a possibility he stands to make next to nothing (if anything) from any future Van Halen releases, depending on whatever the terms of his contracts stipulate.

I've read claims that Anthony signed away his rights in terms of songwriting credits from the 1984 album forward. I've also read Anthony had to sign away more rights to participate in the 2004 tour. I've read that his contract with the band was also renegotiated toward the Van Halen's favor at least once during the Hagar years. Haven't seen any of the contracts (nor am I conversant in the intricacies of business law), so I have no idea what Anthony receives these days when the Van Halen albums he played on sell...a performance royalty, perhaps? I dunno if Anthony took a one-time buyout in 2004 or what.

Point being I tend to doubt Mike Anthony's cares or concerns would be given much (if any) consideration by Alex, Wolfgang or Dave re: hypothetical future Van Halen release loaded with extras beyond whatever legal obligations the record label releasing it has to Anthony concerning whatever percentage of the profits Anthony is legally entitled to. (Again) from what I've read, Anthony hasn't had much of any relationship with any of the Van Halens or Roth in the last twenty years. It was telling to me that Anthony was approached for that proposed 'kitchen sink' reunion not by any of the band members themselves but by Van Halen's management.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Agreed. The sonic quality os a problem. It doesn't breathe. As IS is a monster of a song.

46. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (03-27-2023)

Thread Information