Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave's new podcast (The Roth show)

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-04-2021 @ 12:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's new podcast (The Roth show)

His youtube has new podcast.
    I'm listening now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-3Ka3PMrs
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Funny...I always wait for Jim Carrey to scream "Are these non fat muffins?!?!"

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

3 hours and he never mentioned on Rogan he was going to start this again?

PANDA KILLER™
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-13-2023 @ 08:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think he was inspired after doing 3 hours with Joe. He's got nothing else to do.

5. Thanked thepunisher for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-01-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well apart from run this 30 person ink business?

I think it's been an afterthought not a strategy. Also it could be me being dumb but I'm not immediately able to access this as a podcast on my fruit based device...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

That was harder to get through than the Rogan spot.

8. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-01-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Part 2 is out

Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-06-2019 at 07:49 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now it's the Mojo Dojo and the Pasadena Battle Club on Bradford Street...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jeez...that guy must be bored to death...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Episode 3, let's Go To Vegas

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

This guy has turned into such an embarrassing buffoon it's unbelievable.

It's hard to believe this once was David Lee Roth.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

That's what I first thought, too...then I kept on listening and in his crazy mindset it all makes perfect sense.

Hell, Dave is bored to death. Ed is maybe on some pills again binging CSI-Las Vegas, while Dave wants to conquer it just because he has nothing better to do.

Do I love the whole idea of it? Fucking no! But still love the spirit! This let's go places we've never been attitude inspires me every day.

"When was the last time you did something for the first time?"

Dangle with Miley, uncle Dave, enjoy the ride and if you crash into catastrophe laugh to win!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post

I'm of the mindset that this is exactly what DLR is and has been all along...

Previously you got the scripted 2 hour show with a a handful of short sound-bites and interviews, which were also heavily scripted. It worked great before the internet and you only saw and heard from the guy when he rolled into your local area. Now you're getting a look under the unpolished covers... a glimpse into who the real Dave is without the lights, glamour and paid models to present a persona...

Your imagination doesn't have to fill in the rough spots anymore... they're all exposed and it doesn't look so great without makeup and a great costume... Say hello to reality...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Previously you got the scripted 2 hour show with a a handful of short sound-bites and interviews, which were also heavily scripted. It worked great before the internet and you only saw and heard from the guy when he rolled into your local area. Now you're getting a look under the unpolished covers... a glimpse into who the real Dave is without the lights, glamour and paid models to present a persona...

Your imagination doesn't have to fill in the rough spots anymore... they're all exposed and it doesn't look so great without makeup and a great costume... Say hello to reality...
    Which, for me anyway...I have less and less of a desire to see what goes on behind the scenes with Roth these days.

It kind of ties into my feelings about Van Halen in general terms re: the heyday vs. today. Back in the heyday, we really didn't get too many glimpses of what was going on backstage in a raw, unfiltered way that wasn't shaped by a controlled public relations machine. Hence, decades later we get audio of Ed's 1982 drunken telephone interview where Ed is basically shitting on Mike Anthony in terms of his contributions (or lack thereof in Ed's mind). Decades later we get the inside skinny on how the Van Halens and Roth whittled down Anthony's percentage of the cut. Neither of these were widely known at the time. Wherever we do get glimpses of what is going on behind the scenes, it generally hasn't been a pleasant picture.

When you're younger, you see the image and make deductions as to what life backstage is like based on that image, even despite knowing the image is contrived. When you get older, you find out oftentimes the image has little to do with the reality.

Some people like finding out the truth of things: fact being more interesting than fiction, etc. With Van Halen, the facts that have emerged aren't pretty...nor positive. In point of fact, a bit jarring to me, because the music Van Halen made has always been (and remains to this day) such a positive thing. Something along the lines of someone saying when you run away to join the circus, behind the scenes you get to smell the shit firsthand.

The past 20 to 25 years, most of the focus has been on the backstage aspects, mostly because there hasn't been a prolific amount of musical output and what output there has been really hasn't been too enthralling overall: rumors and backstage gossip has certainly been more entertaining than, say, the Van Halen III album. Or the newer BOBW tracks...and even the weaker stuff on ADKOT, if I'm being honest.

Dave comes across as a strange guy who is clearly impressed with every utterance he makes. Listening to himself talk is obviously his favorite form of entertainment. Me? After 35 years of reading and hearing him being interviewed, I've had more than enough to the point where the idea of taking the time to listen to 3 hours of Roth on Rogan, or two hours of Roth on a solo podcast...nah. I'd rather rub one out, take a nap and stare at the grass for a few hours, thinking of nothing in particular. It'd be time better spent.

I would like to hear some new music, either whatever Roth and Eddie can come up with or Roth on his own...or the John 5 stuff that was shelved.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Which, for me anyway...I have less and less of a desire to see what goes on behind the scenes with Roth these days.

It kind of ties into my feelings about Van Halen in general terms re: the heyday vs. today. Back in the heyday, we really didn't get too many glimpses of what was going on backstage in a raw, unfiltered way that wasn't shaped by a controlled public relations machine. Hence, decades later we get audio of Ed's 1982 drunken telephone interview where Ed is basically shitting on Mike Anthony in terms of his contributions (or lack thereof in Ed's mind). Decades later we get the inside skinny on how the Van Halens and Roth whittled down Anthony's percentage of the cut. Neither of these were widely known at the time. Wherever we do get glimpses of what is going on behind the scenes, it generally hasn't been a pleasant picture.

When you're younger, you see the image and make deductions as to what life backstage is like based on that image, even despite knowing the image is contrived. When you get older, you find out oftentimes the image has little to do with the reality.

Some people like finding out the truth of things: fact being more interesting than fiction, etc. With Van Halen, the facts that have emerged aren't pretty...nor positive. In point of fact, a bit jarring to me, because the music Van Halen made has always been (and remains to this day) such a positive thing. Something along the lines of someone saying when you run away to join the circus, behind the scenes you get to smell the shit firsthand.

The past 20 to 25 years, most of the focus has been on the backstage aspects, mostly because there hasn't been a prolific amount of musical output and what output there has been really hasn't been too enthralling overall: rumors and backstage gossip has certainly been more entertaining than, say, the Van Halen III album. Or the newer BOBW tracks...and even the weaker stuff on ADKOT, if I'm being honest.

Dave comes across as a strange guy who is clearly impressed with every utterance he makes. Listening to himself talk is obviously his favorite form of entertainment. Me? After 35 years of reading and hearing him being interviewed, I've had more than enough to the point where the idea of taking the time to listen to 3 hours of Roth on Rogan, or two hours of Roth on a solo podcast...nah. I'd rather rub one out, take a nap and stare at the grass for a few hours, thinking of nothing in particular. It'd be time better spent.

I would like to hear some new music, either whatever Roth and Eddie can come up with or Roth on his own...or the John 5 stuff that was shelved.
    Haha! Seeing the behind the scenes is like seeing what's going on in the kitchen of your favorite Chinese restaurant. Probably a bad idea. Who wants to see the hotdogs being made? Naw. Basking in the fabricated bullshit illusion and living in the moment and not thinking too much is pure euphoria.

18. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-18-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

I think we are seeing why Van Halen drank so much. I would too if I was stuck with a guy like Dave who was fueled on cocaine and never would shut up. No wonder Eddie locked himself in his room with cases of malt liquor.

20. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-14-2019),ZahZoo (04-16-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think we are seeing why Van Halen drank so much. I would too if I was stuck with a guy like Dave who was fueled on cocaine and never would shut up. No wonder Eddie locked himself in his room with cases of malt liquor.
    Ed: Hey, Dave, what do you think about maybe going out on the road this year?

Dave: I'mtheguywhohidesthetigerjustlikeI'mtheguywhobring sthetigeroutwhenyouleastexpectit [laughs hysterically] thegoalisthesameasithasalwaysbeenwhichistoplaythos eclassicsongsyou'vebeenhearingblastingoutofapickup truckatyourlocalBurgerKingforthelastthirtysummers [laughs hysterically] whenyoubombproofsomethingthewaythoseclassicVanHale nsongswerethedesireforthatcatalogofclassicpopAmeri canadoesn'tgoaway [laughs hysterically] thatthegiftofgabisthegiftthatIhavejustlikeAlJolson mammymammydon'tflimflammynowputthehamonthegrillmam myandgimmesomeshimshammystraightdownfromsweethomeA labammycauseI'mthenumberonesingerforVanHalenandmuc hmoreimportantthantheonenamedSammy [laughs hysterically]
    seeduringtheoffyearsIsitaroundmyMojoDojoandeatalot offiber [laughs hysterically] humulaybubulayzebulaybuboolayhumulaybuboolayzebula ybop [laughs]

Ed shakes head, takes toke off of vaping pen, wanders away.

22. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-15-2019)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ed: Hey, Dave, what do you think about maybe going out on the road this year?

Dave: I'mtheguywhohidesthetigerjustlikeI'mtheguywhobring sthetigeroutwhenyouleastexpectit [laughs hysterically] thegoalisthesameasithasalwaysbeenwhichistoplaythos eclassicsongsyou'vebeenhearingblastingoutofapickup truckatyourlocalBurgerKingforthelastthirtysummers [laughs hysterically] whenyoubombproofsomethingthewaythoseclassicVanHale nsongswerethedesireforthatcatalogofclassicpopAmeri canadoesn'tgoaway [laughs hysterically] thatthegiftofgabisthegiftthatIhavejustlikeAlJolson mammymammydon'tflimflammynowputthehamonthegrillmam myandgimmesomeshimshammystraightdownfromsweethomeA labammycauseI'mthenumberonesingerforVanHalenandmuc hmoreimportantthantheonenamedSammy [laughs hysterically]
    seeduringtheoffyearsIsitaroundmyMojoDojoandeatalot offiber [laughs hysterically] humulaybubulayzebulaybuboolayhumulaybuboolayzebula ybop [laughs]

Ed shakes head, takes toke off of vaping pen, wanders away.
    Haha! Well Dave is like the gimp in the basement. There is a time and place to let the gimp loose. You just don't want to let the gimp loose unchecked.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What the he'll is going on, really... If even Dave's diehard fanbase can't stand his rants anymore...
    I confess it's become pretty hard for me too to sit through past a few minutes.
    Zazoo, Terry and Nitro nail it very well.

It's quite disturbing.

25. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-18-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hate to get in the way of a story but does anyone believe that Dave would have been sacked from two different casinos for pretty mild jokes if ticket sales had been good? A contemporary review...

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1999/ju...ut-irrelevant/

Roth amusing as Vegas act, but irrelevant
    David Lee Renzi

Friday, June 25, 1999 | 3:21 a.m.

On the first of his six-night engagement at Bally's on Thursday, David Lee Roth announced that he has been "wanting to play in Las Vegas a long, long time," conveniently forgetting that he was here several times as a member of Van Halen and once as a solo rock act.

Roth is neither anymore, so maybe what he meant is that he's wanted to play Las Vegas as the performer he is now -- a short-haired interpreter of pop, blues, soul, mambo and swing tunes and the ever-grinning, social-commentating front man of a 14-piece band.

The good news is that around 700 people showed up to see his Strip debut. The bad news is that Bally's Celebrity Showroom seats 1,400. It must have been disheartening for Roth to see a half-empty theater, but he was outwardly optimistic, smiling that rictus smile of his for most of the 90-minute performance.

Based on the crowd's demographic makeup and its reaction to his show, it would appear that Roth's is an act without an audience. Clearly, the people who clamored to see him when he was lead singer of Van Halen deserted him here, and those who saw him Thursday -- many of them wrinkled and gray -- were little more than politely respectful.

That is less a reflection on Roth than it is on them, for Roth and his Blues-Bustin' Mambo Slammers -- which feature Edgar Winter on saxophone -- put on the type of variety show Las Vegas grew up on.

It had musicians playing their instruments onstage instead of on tape, a compendium of songs and styles, two nearly dressed dancers (one of Roth's few concessions to his past), an attractive female singer and Dave himself, mugging to and joking with the audience as he crisscrossed the stage in his matching black-and-white checkered bell-bottoms and vest.

True, it would have been nothing more than a good lounge act in the old days, but then almost nothing in Las Vegas is as it was. In that sense, the showroom is a good fit for Roth, who bears little resemblance to his former long-maned, high-kicking self.

Only once did he execute his famous spinning back kick, and he fittingly saved it for "Jump." It was one of the two Van Halen songs he offered ("Ice Cream Man" was the other) and the only song that noticeably defibrillated this mostly code-blue audience.

Roth's encore -- "you gotta cheer louder or I'm not coming back," he shouted from the wings -- was "Just a Gigolo," his popular remake of the song Louie Prima made famous.

Conclusion: Now that he's jettisoned most of his original material for the opportunity to tread well-worn musical styles and cover songs by James Brown ("Living in America") and Boz Scaggs ("Lido Shuffle"), Roth has become the consummate Vegas entertainer: talented and amusing but sadly irrelevant.

27. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-15-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave hasn't really changed all that much. Actually he hasn't changed at all.

For years we heard his interviews and on stage rants - now he gets to do that on a platform for two straight hours and its jarring for some fans to listen to.

For the most part, I still find what Dave says interesting and he remains an inspiration. I just don't get how some fans are tired of his schtick...now? After how many decades? lol

For those blaming Dave for VH's inactivity seems to suggest how some easily forget just who the real culprit is and has always been: Eddie.

It was Eddie who couldn't get off his ass and make a record in 1985 that led to the breakup cause he was drinking all day.

It was Eddie who created Van Hagar.

It was Eddie who created the mess that was in 1996.

It was Eddie who brought in Cherone.

It was Eddie's health problems that negated a true CVH reunion in 2000-01.

It was Eddie who eventually dumped Mike in 2006.

on and on and on...

29. 4 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-15-2019),katina (05-28-2019),Terry (04-15-2019),ZahZoo (04-16-2019)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You're right too, Vinnie.

Ed has been to blame since 1985.

Dave hasn't changed personalities, he's still hilarious as hell, it's probably us who have grown old, too old to follow or care about his 3-hour-long talk shows now.
    But then, who will care, if we don't?...

Maybe I should start doing coke to keep up with ole Unc Dave...
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 04-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Dave hasn't really changed all that much. Actually he hasn't changed at all.

For years we heard his interviews and on stage rants - now he gets to do that on a platform for two straight hours and its jarring for some fans to listen to.

For the most part, I still find what Dave says interesting and he remains an inspiration. I just don't get how some fans are tired of his schtick...now? After how many decades? lol

For those blaming Dave for VH's inactivity seems to suggest how some easily forget just who the real culprit is and has always been: Eddie.

It was Eddie who couldn't get off his ass and make a record in 1985 that led to the breakup cause he was drinking all day.

It was Eddie who created Van Hagar.

It was Eddie who created the mess that was in 1996.

It was Eddie who brought in Cherone.

It was Eddie's health problems that negated a true CVH reunion in 2000-01.

It was Eddie who eventually dumped Mike in 2006.

on and on and on...
    Without a doubt, left to his own devices and unchallenged, Ed prefers to coast.

The brothers Van Halen took total control of the band in 1996 and ran it into the ground: whatever misgivings one had about the musical output with Hagar, at least when Hagar was in the band they still had a degree of commercial success and toured regularly.

After ten years of misfires, inactivity and self-abuse, the Van Halens finally made a good decision - I hesitate to say a smart decision, because it was pretty simple - and got Dave back in the band. After an uneven initial reunion tour, Eddie pulled himself together enough to adequately replicate the classic material in a live context. Problem was, Dave apparently used up the best of what he had left on the first reunion tour.

So now the best Van Halen can hope for is to go out with a whimper - as opposed to a bang - that doesn't sound TOO fuckin' embarrassing.

A subdued conclusion to a band that was bold, brash and blazing.

But, hey, we don't always get to dictate our endings.

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    What the he'll is going on, really... If even Dave's diehard fanbase can't stand his rants anymore...
    I confess it's become pretty hard for me too to sit through past a few minutes.
    Zazoo, Terry and Nitro nail it very well.

It's quite disturbing.
    It's called protecting your public image. I don't think social media serves celebrities well at all. You don't have to show the fans the behind the scenes or bring them into your private life. The old school rules of a highly protected public image still applies. I think Dave has always been this way. Very hyperactive and with a high attention deficit disorder. You would see Dave come on shows like Letterman and start going off into weird places in a funny way and Letterman would be going what the hell Dave? What does that mean? Oh it's fun in short bursts but when Dave sets up a camera and let's it ramble on and on and on it get's old quick. Then there is the age factor. When Dave was young he was like some Jeff Spicoli character breaking all the rules and getting away with it. Kids loved seeing some whacked out guy sitting on the edge of a messed up bed with a few ladies in it inside a wreaked hotel room with pizza on the floor and beer cans everywhere above a caption that reads, "I used to have a drug problem but now I can afford it". People ate that shit up and loved it and then this guy and his band or merry men are going to be rolling into town in a few weeks and you already have your ticket and you are going to the show and you already have the album and you are going to buy a VH T-Shirt and maybe even pop for one of those cool VH necklaces.

Now. Dave is the same guy. He's old and unchecked on the internet and he's coming off as the crazy old dude that won't shut up. If you are young. This is the motherfucker you want to avoid. He will give you ten hours of advice and laugh a lot and most of it won't make any sense and you know this weirdo is into kiddie porn and you cringe at the thought of what might be in his freezer or locked away in the basement.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-17-2019 at 03:15 PM.

34. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-18-2019),Terry (04-18-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As far as I'm concerned Dave ain't talking enough!

Id like for him to blow up the internet I say!

36. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

bluemustard (04-18-2019),ZahZoo (04-20-2019)

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hope he does.
    I just heard Joe Rogan's take on Assange.
    It was sad. Almost retarded.
    But on a brighter note I saw the UK police and a drifter with a bible show up at Brian Harvey's house..LIVE on youtube.
    Best TV I've ever seen.
    Looked like the guy was a hitman. (with the bible).
    Really awsome..I'm refreshing 24/7
    He said "I'll be back in 5 minutes"
    It's been an hour...OMG hahahahaha
    Maybe Dave needs to get B. Young in..more live guitar n shit..maybe phonecalls.
    I'll listen anywho.

38. Thanked bluemustard for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-18-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Spammy and Bassplayer were recently on Howard Stern playing ….what else Van Hagar songs. LOL

As if anyone wants to hear that crap.

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

or the guy was MI5 or Brian set it up.
    Really worried now..
    "back in 5 min"
    He still gone.
    I'm looking forward to star trek discovery final episode...but if I had to choose I would go for Brian's LIVE youtube now.
    That last video was freaky and avant garde

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Spammy and Bassplayer were recently on Howard Stern playing ….what else Van Hagar songs. LOL

As if anyone wants to hear that crap.
    Hi I’m Sammy. I’m over 70 and still think I can sing and fuck.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Hearing hours and hours of Dave’s philosophy’s get’s old as hell. I hate Dave as Plato. If Dave wants to get on the phone and prank call then I’m for that shit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It's called protecting your public image. I don't think social media serves celebrities well at all. You don't have to show the fans the behind the scenes or bring them into your private life. The old school rules of a highly protected public image still applies. I think Dave has always been this way. Very hyperactive and with a high attention deficit disorder. You would see Dave come on shows like Letterman and start going off into weird places in a funny way and Letterman would be going what the hell Dave? What does that mean? Oh it's fun in short bursts but when Dave sets up a camera and let's it ramble on and on and on it get's old quick. Then there is the age factor. When Dave was young he was like some Jeff Spicoli character breaking all the rules and getting away with it. Kids loved seeing some whacked out guy sitting on the edge of a messed up bed with a few ladies in it inside a wreaked hotel room with pizza on the floor and beer cans everywhere above a caption that reads, "I used to have a drug problem but now I can afford it". People ate that shit up and loved it and then this guy and his band or merry men are going to be rolling into town in a few weeks and you already have your ticket and you are going to the show and you already have the album and you are going to buy a VH T-Shirt and maybe even pop for one of those cool VH necklaces.

Now. Dave is the same guy. He's old and unchecked on the internet and he's coming off as the crazy old dude that won't shut up. If you are young. This is the motherfucker you want to avoid. He will give you ten hours of advice and laugh a lot and most of it won't make any sense and you know this weirdo is into kiddie porn and you cringe at the thought of what might be in his freezer or locked away in the basement.
    That was part of...what, the mystique of Van Halen back in the day, in that you never really got much of a glimpse behind the scenes. You watch the Roth interviews from the 1980s and, as you say, Roth is great in 5-10 minute bursts (especially 30 years ago before we had heard all of his witticisms a million times). Or doing a half hour interview with Stern in the 1990s, where Dave and Stern are bouncing off one another.

First inkling I got that too much Roth talking might not be as effective as smaller bursts was his radio show in the mid 2000s. He also did a Rogan interview maybe...5, 6, 7 ears ago? Somewhere around the time of ADKOT. And Roth was just going on and on and on and on.

It's kinda like when Roth was overdoing his inbetween song comedic bits during live performances and they got overlong: c'mon Dave, gimme a break.

Dunno 'bout the kiddie porn or severed body parts in the freezer, but wouldn't shock me if he has a hairless Asian "houseboy/companion" and makes his sheepdog watch.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is a hell of a fansite sometimes.

I bet there is still to this day less shit posted about Jackson at the Michael Jackson Army...

45. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-21-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    This is a hell of a fansite sometimes.

I bet there is still to this day less shit posted about Jackson at the Michael Jackson Army...
    How DARE you bring Jacko into this?!? That poor, misunderstood genius may have been a serial pederast, but at least he didn't sing off-key and lose his hair like Roth did!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whether people overlook musicians raping children seems to come down to two main factors.

1) Did anyone complain?

2) How good were your songs?

Jackson escapes on just a (2) apparently. Jimmy Page, Bill Wyman and Antony Kiedis escape on a (1) and (2) although you have to wonder if Kledis is borderline on that one.

Even in 1994 the Stones were still monetising it on merch.

Gary Glitter came up with some good songs but just not good enough apparently...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.

48. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

bluemustard (04-20-2019),katina (05-28-2019),Terry (04-20-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have that shirt and the sticker on my fridge Voodoo Lounge era.

Episode 5, now with video

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

awsome bokeh!! RIP Russ!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck you all...I enjoy most of these podcasts. Same joke here and there...sure...but it's an easy listening while preparing the ribs in the BBQ.

Sad to hear that russ is gone. Don't think Dave has that many friends and the only thing he and Ed seemed to have in common was both have a dog. Well...Dave had a dog...Ed more what we call a "pussy licker"

Last edited by DavidLeeNatra; 04-24-2019 at 05:08 AM.

52. 2 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

katina (05-28-2019),Terry (05-05-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ribs look good...what's time is dinner?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have that shirt and the sticker on my fridge Voodoo Lounge era.
    The whole Bill Wyman thing was creepy as fuck, a 47 year old with a 13 year old?

Thread Information