X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gslinger
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

Peavey Dumps Eddie!

I am not a Hartley Peavey or Peavey products fan but this may have interest….gs

“The word in the biz” for sometime now has been that Peavey is (has effectively) ending their relationship with Eddie as he doesn’t represent the image Peavey wants for their products any longer. (I know Peavey PR BS) Further, Eddie has substantially reneged on legally executed contractual commitments, and product development obligations, with Peavey. The word is substantial litigation is forthcoming now that broke Eddie will have some money from the Van Spammy Tour to go after. (Remember EVH got substantial upfront cash to do this Tour and receives a fixed guaranteed payment for every show he plays without regard to ticket sales)

You will notice that Peavey has not endorsed or made any public comments on the Van Halen 2004 Tour, and my understand is that none will be forth coming. This stuck many insiders as strange, and further underlined that Peavey was dumping Eddie and litigation was forth coming. Eddie has to contractually play his EVH Wolfgang Series Guitars for this Tour. In theory, Eddie touring again, with his Peavey guitars, increases the value of existing guitars in the market and would increase new sales, which have been declining. Guess Peavey knew what the rest of the world now knows, after that brilliant “It’s About Time” release,…Eddie is washed up and can’t play. There also rumors that Eddie is going to use some of his Frankenstrait guitars on the Tour as the guy needs all the “show” help he can get.

It also looks like the brilliant musician Joe Satriani is going to take Eddie’s “slot” at Peavey. (Note: I, and many seasoned professionals, consider Joe the undisputed #1 rock fusion artist in the world. I have seen him play 6 times and never been disappointed) At Peavey’s Booth - 2004 NAMM, they announced their new relationships with Joe. Obviously, Mr. jealous of any competition Eddie V, went through the ceiling. Peavey said confidentially that it had been over three years of very serious problems with Eddie and they were at a point they had to cut their losses and problems Eddie was creating for their distributors and customer market.

Word is Peavey will come out with a special custom Satch guitar, once all the legal matters are handled to allow this to happen. Frankly, I never liked Eddie’s Wolfgang Series guitars. They had some great ideas, but never felt or looked like a serious pros ax to me. I am sure many others would disagree.

Interesting, there has not been one word about Eddie and the Van Spammy Tour on Peavey’s site, but tons of info about Joe:

Peavey Sponsors Joe Satriani U.S. Clinic Tour - May 7, 2004
    Legendary guitar virtuoso to share his innovative techniques with aspiring guitarists

Peavey Artist of the Month – April 2004

Joe Satriani Gets Signature Peavey Amp Model – January 15, 2004
    Model due in stores any day. 5/28/04

---------
    Other Info:

15 Minutes With Joe:

Be safe, for those taking a 3 day holiday..gs
    Last edited by gslinger; 05-28-2004, 09:27 PM.
    <center>Accept Only Van <strike>Halen</strike> Roth Classic!
    "Everyday becomes a better Diamond Dave day"</center><center>http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6002/03Way.jpg
    </center><marquee><b><font color=Blue><size=+4>The 2004 Spammy “Eat It & Puke” Van ReHash Tour * Coming to a "This Suit is You" Store In Your Tiny Little Neighborhood. Brought to you by the Hemlock Society, Underground Bulemics United, PUTR - People for the Unethical Treatment of Rockfans, & a Special Message from Eddie & Alex Van Halen - Fuck you guyssss!!!!! </size></font></b></marquee></font>
    <center>
    "Those cats had me so beat down & confused, made the cancer seem like a tiny zit on my ass..I don't have a clue what's going on"-EVH</center>
    <center>Click>"Hot Chicks for Dave" & "Dave’s Cavalcade of Bimbos"</center>
  • eatmensmile
    Roth Army Recruit
    • May 2004

Hmmmm I dont know The EVH custom shop is still on the first page of the offical Peavy site

Comment

• MUSICMANN
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

American made wolfgangs is a serious axe. I am happy to see (if this is true) that they are parting ways, maybe ed will start playing his assortment of guitars again and crank up the old marshalls also. I never played trough a 5150 head, but i think that it gives Ed such a thin sound. I play a wolfgang through a marshall and i can get a very brownish tone .

Comment

• gslinger
        Foot Soldier
        • May 2004

Music is art form and art is 100% personal interpretation. All that matters is what makes you happy, and if you’re getting paid for your music, what makes your fans happy…gs.
        "Everyday becomes a better Diamond Dave day"</center><center>http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6002/03Way.jpg
        </center><marquee><b><font color=Blue><size=+4>The 2004 Spammy “Eat It & Puke” Van ReHash Tour * Coming to a "This Suit is You" Store In Your Tiny Little Neighborhood. Brought to you by the Hemlock Society, Underground Bulemics United, PUTR - People for the Unethical Treatment of Rockfans, & a Special Message from Eddie & Alex Van Halen - Fuck you guyssss!!!!! </size></font></b></marquee></font>
        <center>
        "Those cats had me so beat down & confused, made the cancer seem like a tiny zit on my ass..I don't have a clue what's going on"-EVH</center>

Comment

• RogueHorseman
          Commando
          • Apr 2004

I think this news speaks directly to the bigger issues some of us have been discussing here.

Never mind the never ending link sheep vs. roth army battle... Ed IS in a very bad place. There is no ten albums worth of new material, and we know it. Three totally lousy tracks to pad another best of CD is all he could muster.

I seriously doubt he will be able to complete this tour, no matter the frontman.

Unless he makes an about face turnaround, and soon, its all but over except for the cryin'.
          <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• bru87tr
            Commando
            • Apr 2004

hahahahahahahaha
            "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

ouhouhouh...eddie's crying...if you see the NAMM-pics you wonder why the peavey reps didn't kick him off stage right there...
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• gslinger
                Foot Soldier
                • May 2004

Sir Eddie’s brilliant performance at the Peavey Booth - NAMM 2003

Article:

Pictures:

Sir Eddie in all his glory!

----------------------

I was at the Peavey booth at NAMM when Sir Eddie made a totally f--king ass of himself...and I am a huge Eddie fan since I first saw VH play one night in 1977.

Everyone there was totally, jaw on the floor, shocked by EVH's behavior (and smell!) with Peavey reps and top brass so mad there were about to explode. I have said it before on this forum, Spammy is not the problem here, Eddie is!!

==================
                <center>

Comment

• WOAHYEAH
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

Maybe Eds back with Kramer. . .
                  Served hot, right from the rhythm kitchen.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

ed's back with heineken...
                    Roth Army Icon

Comment

• WOAHYEAH
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

Back? He left?!
                      Served hot, right from the rhythm kitchen.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Roth Army Icon

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gslinger
                          Sir Eddie’s brilliant performance at the Peavey Booth - NAMM 2003

Article:http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=1796

Pictures:

----------------------

I was at the Peavey booth at NAMM when Sir Eddie made a totally f--king ass of himself...and I am a huge Eddie fan since I first saw VH play one night in 1977.

Everyone there was totally, jaw on the floor, shocked by EVH's behavior (and smell!) with Peavey reps and top brass so mad there were about to explode. I have said it before on this forum, Spammy is not the problem here, Eddie is!!
                          ==================
                          Here's the actual article:

Take Me Straight To Eddie Van Halen

By this time, I figured that I would head over to Peavey and since I had my press credentials, maybe I would have time to have a few words with Edward Van Halen, who was due to appear at 1:30. My plan was to speak with EVH, then cruise by the Ibanez booth and speak with Joe Satriani (due at 2 PM), and then go to another booth and see Kiss guitarist Paul Stanley (in full makeup). This is the way things happen at NAMM on Saturday, “bada-bing,bad-BOOM”!

Well the first thing I found out at Peavey was, that Edward would be late in arriving. HOW late I did not know. The second thing I found out was that, I wasn’t the only one that was waiting for him to arrive. The booth was soon completely FILLED with people. A line around the booth followed that. Nervous looking Peavey employees and security guards patiently answered people’s questions about what the “hubbub” was all about, and WHEN would HE arrive!

I give great credit to the Peavey employees for their patience and smiles for handling what turned out to be a near disaster. I have been around enough to know that when Van Halen makes an appearance, it becomes an event. I spoke with him briefly a few years back at the Music Man booth and he was very nice, autographing a poster for me and telling me about the upcoming (at the time) Van Halen recording, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Today would be a completely different story. Partly on the facts surrounding him and the band, in other words, “WHATS THE DEAL, ED”? I had many questions to ask, as I know most of us want to know. “What is the status of”: The Band? Your Health? Who’s gonna sing? (lots of rumors floated around the convention on THAT one). Among many others that I figured I would bring up, but once again today would be a different story in terms of approachability.

What’s the Deal With Eddie “I Don’t Feel Tardy” Van Halen Anyway?!

While waiting for the great VH, I ran into my friend, Armored Saint/DC4 guitarist Jeff Duncan. First words out of his mouth were, “Where’s Eddie”? He told me that he and his old band Odin, featuring his brother Sean on drums had reunited for a few shows, and that he would be busy with that and of course the other bands in 2003. By then the crowd was becoming impatient, (go figure), and no EVH to be seen. So much for speaking with Satriani or Paul Stanley, or anybody else for that matter if I was going to get a shot at seeing this dude.

Finally at about 4 PM he showed up and I was ushered into a soundproof booth that he would be “performing” at. After speaking with company founder Hartley Peavey upstairs in the office area for quite some time, Van Halen made his way into the performance booth, completely MOBBED by his fans. What followed was something bordering on bizarre.

Looking like he just got out of bed, (he may have) and speaking in a croaking voice, he told the crowd that he would be granting no interviews or signing anything. Damn! He also refused to discuss anything about the new products that he and Peavey had been working on, explaining that he simply didn’t want to give an endorsement to a product that was still in the experimental stage. After refusing to answer some of the crowd’s questions about equipment, some one screamed for him to play, and he reluctantly grabbed a guitar, plugged it into one of his signature Peavey 5150 amps, and proceeded to noodle away at it -- with his back to the audience! After turning around and explaining that he had not been playing much guitar lately, just piano and cello, (cello?) he played a few vintage riffs before stopping and telling the crowd that he didn’t want to play anything old for the “punk-asses” that were inside with their video recorders, taping the event. He did however start playing the opening riff to “Mean Streets,” before stopping and once again telling a VERY disappointed crowd that he would not give them anything from the past. Matter of fact, he didn’t seem to want to give them anything from the future either, explaining that he would not play or talk about anything that wasn’t finished.

Van Halen then smacked his guitar on the microphone stand and one of the employees heads a few times, saying that that was what he loved about his guitars, meaning that they could be bashed about and still stay in tune. He then played a boogie riff that he said he had just written, and then, just like that, it was over. Off he went, surrounded by security, and a few hundred disappointed fans. What the fuck? I (and just about everyone else that was in that room) wondered. Oh well, that’s rock n roll. Time will tell what will happen with the future of Van Halen, and the products he will endorse and produce. What was so weird and coincidental about his tardiness, (“I don’t FEEL tardy”) was that it bumped a performance by Tribe Of Judah, a new band featuring the last Van Halen vocalist, Gary Cherone to the next day, in that same performance booth!
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Don Corleone
                            Veteran
                            • May 2004

Hmmmm I dont know The EVH custom shop is still on the first page of the offical Peavy site
                            Do you really think they will shut the custom shop down before the tour (esecially as they hope to boost sales of the Wolfgang off it)
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• lztom
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2004

Eddie's going to end up with nothing. Lonely and broke. It's getting to the stage where he's burned every bridge with every single person he's ever had a personal or professional relationship with. i bet his bizarrely monikered son fucks him off eventually.

Comment

Working...