PDA

View Full Version : sam talks about van hagar songs in commercials and styling his hair.

rustoffa
09-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Arrgh........

From eye.net:
http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_06.12.97/music/weisblott.html

Sammy Hagar Weekend
BY MARC WEISBLOTT

What's not to love about Sammy Hagar, huh? Besides his music, that is. But he is prone to evoking true emotion, whether with Montrose or Van Halen, in between or thereafter. And while his efforts among Eddie and Alex's clan got progressively less palatable, Marching To Mars (Track Factory/Universal) is 49-year-old Sammy's most resurgent-sounding record since his debut with VH, 5150.

It seems the proud pothead is always running behind schedule, and my anticipated encounter -- the day after Sammy's intimate hoedown at the Horseshoe -- is no exception. At last, he ambles into the room, hoists me up from the couch where I'm slouched, then launches into an anecdote about meeting Miles Davis, who exploited Hagar's handshake in an identical fashion to stand upright. I thank him for the comparison to such a great artist, and for taking five minutes of our precious time.

The interview has now gotta transpire in the mini-van, from Avenue and Bloor to Queen and John. Good thing I'm not a trained professional.

In the club show last night you mentioned "Bad Motor Scooter" was the first song you ever wrote, but how old were you at that point?

I was 22, 23. See, I'd written a few songs before that when I was about 20. One of them was called "Big Hunk Of A Woman." But "Bad Motor Scooter" was the first one that was performed by a band.

And you didn't start drinking alcohol until you turned 30, right?

In high school I'd had a couple of beers but I didn't like the taste. Then, at age 30 I was in England where someone gave me a bottle of 1927 Martinez Port and demanded that I eat a big hunk of blue cheese right along with it. And, man, the taste just blew my mind.

I can get with the perspective that you put across on that new song, "Who Has The Right." Do you consider yourself a true libertarian? Where do you stand on the death penalty and abortion?

Now, I don't believe in taking a man's life. But if someone harmed my baby, you bet I'd kill them with my bare hands. There's a contradiction there, sure. It's like, if a child is conceived and has a soul, whenever that soul comes into being, then it's wrong to have an abortion. I believe in free will and freedom of speech. Freedom is where it's at, man.

How did "Right Now" end up in commercials for Crystal Pepsi?

At the time, they wanted to take the concept from the video. Then they told us someone else would be singing the song. So we went along with it instead and we got a million bucks for our troubles.

Did you ever get the chance to drink it?

Nope.

Just because the cola was clear would people have really assumed it was healthier than regular Pepsi? Because that was the idea, right?

But if it's clear, there's no dye in it. One less chemical to worry about.

What did you think about that Nerf Herder song, "Van Halen"?

It's the stupidest thing for one band to be making fun of what was the biggest band in the world. If I came out with my first record and did a song about how I thought that Mick Taylor wasn't as good as Brian Jones... I mean, what is the point? It makes no sense to me.

How about "Sammy Hagar Weekend" by Thelonious Monster?

I was trying to remember the name of the group who did that one. But, no, same thing. Hey, call me when you get to your 13th album. Call me when the record company drops you. I'll give you some advice. Honest. If somebody likes somebody, there are no grounds for making fun of them.

Never?

Never.

OK, then. How do you get your hair to look as awesome as it does?

I wash it with shampoo and use a separate conditioner. Never the two combined. Then I just let it dry out naturally. No comb. No hair-dryer. No special formula. It falls best into place when I'm out in the sun, though.

What do you think of a guy who gets their hair styled like yours?

I dunno. Sorry that you had to pay for it.

The mini-van reaches its ultimate destination. Sammy Hagar leaps outside and looks around, perplexed. "This was a joke interview, right? This was just one big joke, wasn't it?" I might have offered something of a response, but I couldn't tell whether or not his question was a rhetorical one.

bueno bob
09-04-2004, 01:16 AM
What a yutz.

Hagar, EVERY interview with you is a joke!!

vhfan010
09-04-2004, 05:19 PM
i think a van hagar song should be in a commerical for exlax

bueno bob
09-05-2004, 02:16 AM
I don't know if it'd work....maybe it's just me, but whether Hagar opens his mouth to sing, he sounds constipated.

John Holmes
09-05-2004, 09:01 AM
what a fucking tool