X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack68
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

My first post..I met Dave in nyc

Ive heard about this board and i must say its entertaing.When Conan Obrien did his special last year or so i was in nyc and met Diamond Dave at the Michelangelo hotel bar where my sister inlaw works.For starteres i am a die hard who fan(insert your jokes here you sick bastards) but i have always liked VANHALEN.I saw them at the Bremdan Byrne arena in 84 and thought they were great.Anyway my sister in law calls and says you have to come over here ,david lee roth is here in the bar drinking Jd in a highball glass,no ice.Its like 200pm so i get in there by 330 pm and there he is the man the myth the legend.My first impression of him was a genuine warmth and fuck it attitude.He had some of his lawyers with him and i believe a personal assittant.I didnt see a bodyguard,he seemed to be really on his own just hanging out for 2 hours.
    Heres my chance i wait until he is not entertaing everyone which he was doing and i slide in and order a 7.00 drink and say Dave what a fucking pleasure to meet ya ,can i possibly buy you a beverage of some sort?He says my friend another jack would be apprecitted.I gave him his drink with his lawyers looking at me like im an asshole and dave with the bleachblond hair ,sunglasses and deep tan just says "take a seat my name is Dave,whats yours?"He dismissed his 'people for about 40 minutes or so and i hung out drinki8ng with him one on one.It was amazing,he made sure i wasnt a reporter and told me everyday shit.He asked about me and my family and i told him this is fucking amazing,meeting you and drinking!Im like how do you do it ?Hes like i work out,he smoked a few ciggarettes,and drank 3 more jacks.I didnt ask or say one thing about Sammy Hagar.I tell him im a big who fan and he says my hats off to John Entwistle,thats how ya do it!His lawyers regrouped and he was like John nice meeting you tell Antoinette,Dave says hi.I told him 20 minutes earlier my wifes name.It was unbelievable,he is cool as ytou think and as confident as you think.
    Jack
    "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Cool. Thanks for sharing that, you lucky bastard. LOL.
    Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• dave_is_vh
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

Very cool. Good to know Dave isn't an asshole.
      "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Dan
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Thanks Jack68 for that interesting story,Roth on.
        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• frankensteinaxe
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Aug 2004

DOES HE HANG IN THAT BAR ALOT?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Nice post Jack....

I kinda chuckle when you get those who read these stories who meet one of the band members in person and then say something along the lines of "why didn't you ask him about reuniting !!!".....

Personally, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about this situation, because 1) I'll never be that lucky to meet any of them, and 2) even if I did, I would be so tongue-tied that it wouldn't matter anyway....

I met President Clinton in the Pentagon in the early 90's, and I mouthed the words "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. President", but it was so unintelligible, I laugh about it all the time now.....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Snoo

Good story. VA, I met Kevin McClatchy in an elevator in 1994. I was pretty young and eating ice cream. He smiled and asked me if my ice cream was good, and I said "Yeah."

Comment

• Davidsgrl
                Groupie
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jack68
                Ive heard about this board and i must say its entertaing.When Conan Obrien did his special last year or so i was in nyc and met Diamond Dave at the Michelangelo hotel bar where my sister inlaw works.For starteres i am a die hard who fan(insert your jokes here you sick bastards) but i have always liked VANHALEN.I saw them at the Bremdan Byrne arena in 84 and thought they were great.Anyway my sister in law calls and says you have to come over here ,david lee roth is here in the bar drinking Jd in a highball glass,no ice.Its like 200pm so i get in there by 330 pm and there he is the man the myth the legend.My first impression of him was a genuine warmth and fuck it attitude.He had some of his lawyers with him and i believe a personal assittant.I didnt see a bodyguard,he seemed to be really on his own just hanging out for 2 hours.
                Heres my chance i wait until he is not entertaing everyone which he was doing and i slide in and order a 7.00 drink and say Dave what a fucking pleasure to meet ya ,can i possibly buy you a beverage of some sort?He says my friend another jack would be apprecitted.I gave him his drink with his lawyers looking at me like im an asshole and dave with the bleachblond hair ,sunglasses and deep tan just says "take a seat my name is Dave,whats yours?"He dismissed his 'people for about 40 minutes or so and i hung out drinki8ng with him one on one.It was amazing,he made sure i wasnt a reporter and told me everyday shit.He asked about me and my family and i told him this is fucking amazing,meeting you and drinking!Im like how do you do it ?Hes like i work out,he smoked a few ciggarettes,and drank 3 more jacks.I didnt ask or say one thing about Sammy Hagar.I tell him im a big who fan and he says my hats off to John Entwistle,thats how ya do it!His lawyers regrouped and he was like John nice meeting you tell Antoinette,Dave says hi.I told him 20 minutes earlier my wifes name.It was unbelievable,he is cool as ytou think and as confident as you think.
                Jack
                Very nice! VERRRY NICE!
                Death
                Mistress of the Dark
                God
                Satan's Daughter
                Me, myself, and I
                The Female version of DLR,
                ego and all!
                Suki
                The Official Baby of the Site
                "Dont stick your tongue out at me unless you intend to use it!"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Snoo
                  Good story. VA, I met Kevin McClatchy in an elevator in 1994. I was pretty young and eating ice cream. He smiled and asked me if my ice cream was good, and I said "Yeah."
                  "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Figs
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

I met Eddie Van Halen at a bar. He kicked me in the balls, dipped his fingers in someone's drink and then blessed me with it as I writhed in pain on the floor. It was probably 'cause I was wearing an "I hate people who need hip surgery" t-shirt. I knew it was a risk wearing it, but hey, what were the odds?

Cool story, Jack68.
                    Last edited by Figs; 09-04-2004, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Susie Q
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Figs
                      I met Eddie Van Halen at a bar. He kicked me in the balls, dipped his fingers in someone's drink and then blessed me with as I writhed in pain on the floor. It was probably 'cause I was wearing an "I hate people who need hip surgery" t-shirt. I knew it was a risk wearing it, but hey, what were the odds?

Cool story, Jack68.
                      Thanks Fig, I just blew pepsi threw my nose! HAHAHA!!:p

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
                      ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Figs
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

I hope you didn't ruin your keyboard...

Comment

• Susie Q
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Figs
                          I hope you didn't ruin your keyboard...
                          It's kinda fuckt now, most of the letters on the thing are blank. It's a way of learning how to type without looking at the keys I guess....hehehe

My nose is a bit sore though...LOL

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
                          ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Loons The Great

Originally posted by Susie Q
                            It's kinda fuckt now, most of the letters on the thing are blank. It's a way of learning how to type without looking at the keys I guess....hehehe

My nose is a bit sore though...LOL
                            No one knows where the nose goes when the doors iz closed...

Cool story up in this mofo nah nah...how many of these cats and kittens 'round this hood with they could say they'd bought Diamond Dave a drink? I wonder if dude was tempted to say,"Hey, you're that white guy!"? I met Michael Anthony at a guitar shop in the mid 90's...some couple had MA sign there JD bottle--nice move...
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2004, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Cool story. By all indications, Dave is the REAL "Friend of the Fans" when it comes to Van Halen members. I have a very hard time seeing Ed, Al or Mike doing likewise. Not Sam, though...he acts desperate for any friend he can get as of late...
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...