PDA

View Full Version : Unchained - as good as it ever was

Figs
09-05-2004, 10:12 AM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040903/FEATURES/409030710/1376

The cradle rocks again

BY MARTY CLEAR CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- Way back in the '70s, Van Halen was a favorite of the shaggy-haired proto-headbangers who called each other "dude" and just wanted to rock 'n' roll all night.

When MTV came around, the band made hard rock safe for the girls, who liked Eddie Van Halen's impish smile and David Lee Roth's bare chest and buttless trousers.

Along the way, serious music fans started to realize that, if you could get past Roth's buffoonery and barely adequate singing, this was a band with some serious chops.

Eddie took his rightful place among the pantheon of rock guitar gods, and the rhythm section -- featuring Alex Van Halen's heavy but prog-influenced drumming and Michael Anthony's basic but schooled bass playing -- was recognized as one of the best ever.

Now they're touring as rock legends reunited with singer Sammy Hagar, who replaced Roth in 1985 and left acrimoniously 10 years later. Its audience includes the original fans, now mostly in their 40s, plus a lot of younger kids.

But really, the band says, not much has changed.

"I think loving music transcends age," Alex Van Halen said in a phone interview. "We're living human beings, and we do the things that give us some kind of an emotional high, and making music is that thing."

It doesn't much matter, Alex said, whether the audience looks at Van Halen as nostalgia, as classic rock or as musical virtuosos.

"I think the common thread between the band and the audience is how they relate to the music," he said. "Some people quantify that as remembering when they were younger, and some look at it differently."

Van Halen quickly became one of the most popular hard-rock groups in the world upon the release of its self-titled debut album in 1978.

Propelled by Roth's over-the-top persona and Eddie Van Halen's innovative guitar techniques, the band scored six platinum-selling albums and a number of hit singles, including "And the Cradle Will Rock," "Jump," "Panama" and a cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me."

Ongoing tensions with Roth finally came to a head after the smash hit "1984," and he was replaced by Hagar. Already a star in his own right, Hagar helped Van Halen continue its platinum-selling trend into the '90s with a string of No. 1 albums and hit singles that included "Why Can't This Be Love," "Finish What Ya Started" and "Right Now."

The band's tumultuous relationships with its three lead singers -- Gary Cherone of Extreme briefly filled the gap between Hagar's stints -- has been the stuff of rock legend, or at least well-documented rock gossip.

But Hagar said getting back together with his three longtime cohorts was a natural process. The past few years have been a hiatus, not a breakup, he says -- he doesn't even like to think of this as a reunion tour.

"I personally have a hard time with calling this thing a reunion," Hagar said. "It's more like a continuation.

"And the reason we like to use that terminology is because I've seen so many reunions where, you know, guys are coming off some real estate job, or something, putting the guitar back on, and going back out. We are four real musicians that play music with or without each other."

Fans of any Van Halen era ought to find something they'll connect to in the current tour. Hagar said he was a Van Halen fan before he had any idea he'd ever join the band, so he has no qualms about singing the old Roth songs.

The only criteria he uses in deciding to sing a Roth-era song, he says, is whether he used to like it when he was just a fan, and whether it sounds good in his vocal range.

"Anyone that can't stand out there and sing a song like 'Panama' and have fun singing it, you're not a rock 'n' roll singer, as far as I'm concerned," Hagar said. "I think we're doing a great job this time out. I mean, like, 'Unchained' (from 1980's 'Fair Warning') is smoking. I think it's as good as it ever was.

"So, you know, you just kind of pick the ones that you feel comfortable with."

It's all Van Halen music in the end. And Van Halen music has always been about having a good time.

"To me, music is music," Alex said. "If you get in there for an evening and you can take your mind off whatever is ailing you that day, then we have done our job, and music has done its job."

Figs
09-05-2004, 10:13 AM

And have Mikey "sing" them.

Matt White
09-05-2004, 10:19 AM
It's all Van Halen music in the end. And Van Halen music has always been about having a good time.

"To me, music is music," Alex said. "If you get in there for an evening and you can take your mind off whatever is ailing you that day, then we have done our job, and music has done its job."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! WRONG HAMBURGLER!!! VAN HALEN IS DAVE's MUSIC!!!! Van Hagar is Spammy's. NO COMPARING THE TWO!!!! You Suck, 'Ya JACKASS!!!!

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!

Matt White
09-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Right on FIGS!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Figs
09-05-2004, 10:24 AM
"I think loving music transcends age,"

-- another one of Alex's plug for the Van Hagar cheese ballads, even the fuckheads who supported this shite tour cheered louder for the classic stuff.

Matt White
09-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Figs
"I think loving music transcends age,"

-- another one of Alex's plug for the Van Hagar cheese ballads, even the fuckheads who supported this shite tour cheered louder for the classic stuff.

PROOF POSITIVE, once again FIGS, that SHEMP VAN HALEN IS A CUNT. NO BETTER way to put it. FUCK THAT GUY!!!:fucku: :fucku: :fucku:

:donkey:

ClubDave
09-05-2004, 01:12 PM
unchined is as good as it ever was.......jesus h christ!!!!! go fuck yourself roy......and while you are struglling trying to do so, pop in a copy of largo and watch van halen smoke through unchained you sickass fat bastard

ELVIS
09-05-2004, 01:50 PM
"I personally have a hard time with calling this thing a reunion," Hagar said. "It's more like a continuation.

This is true...

A "reunion" in the music world is generally associated with an original lineup...

This crap is a continuation of when Van Hagar was tanking with 'Balance'...

Evan Fat Ass Hagar knows it...

:elvis:

interceptor
09-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Eeading that artilce, it amazes me how Al (and Ed in a sense) coninues to spin their act. How many times did we hear Ed say it was important not to become a nostalgia act and to keep moving forward? That was his primary argument for not wanting to reunite with the Diamond One, right? Well, this current tour is essentially the same thing, and now Al is saying it doesn't matter if its a nostalgia act anymore? I'm CONVINCED after being a fan all these years that any tension in the VH camp is pretty much exclusively due to Ed and Al, not Dave or Sam.

fe_lung
09-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Along the way, serious music fans started to realize that, if you could get past Roth's buffoonery and barely adequate singing, this was a band with some serious chops.

<b>Ummm... huh? Barely adequate? Is that why every rock singer of a generation tried to be just like him?</b>

"I think the common thread between the band and the audience is how they relate to the music," he said.

<B>Some people like their music to be just like a three day old cheese sandwich (made with cheese that's 95% oil....) That's their personality, and they relate to that in Van Hagar!</b>

Hagar helped Van Halen continue its platinum-selling trend into the '90s with a string of No. 1 albums and hit singles that included "Why Can't This Be Love," "Finish What Ya Started" and "Right Now."

<b>Yeah, #1 in the Philippines!</b>

But Hagar said getting back together with his three longtime cohorts was a natural process. The past few years have been a hiatus, not a breakup, he says -- he doesn't even like to think of this as a reunion tour.

<b>He likes to think of it more as a temp-job, knowing he'll be unemployed again very soon!</b>

Fans of any Van Halen era ought to find something they'll connect to in the current tour.

<b>Provided they are keen on regurgitation.....</b>

The only criteria he uses in deciding to sing a Roth-era song, he says, is whether he used to like it when he was just a fan, and whether it sounds good in his vocal range.

<b>This leaves out all the Roth catalogue......</b>

"To me, music is music," Alex said.

<b>"But what I'm really in this business for is the joy I get out of making personal attacks at David Lee Roth, Now that's a full time job!"</b>

fe_lung
09-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Figs

And have Mikey "sing" them.

"It's funny 'cause it's true!" - Homer Simpson

Panamark
09-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
This is true...

A "reunion" in the music world is generally associated with an original lineup...

This crap is a continuation of when Van Hagar was tanking with 'Balance'...

Evan Fat Ass Hagar knows it...

:elvis:

Well said. I think those three new songs are a natural
continuation of "Balance". Sammy is right.

And people accept this......

:confused:

lms2
09-06-2004, 09:50 AM

So then, are the three new songs intentionally mindless drivel?

It is clear to me that they at least are able to take their minds off of whats ailing them, and that is the fact that band will remain crippled Until Dave is again in the folds.

Somebody needs to tell Al that just because your recieve a paycheck at the end of the week does not mean that you actually "did your job". It means you bullshitted someone into believing that you did for another day.

Figs
09-06-2004, 09:56 AM
When I hear Up For Breakfast I get ill, so I guess in a way I forget about my day because it's hard to think about anything else while vomiting.

lms2
09-06-2004, 09:59 AM
See there. They have done their job! ;)

Terry
09-07-2004, 02:59 PM
For all of Sammy's bullshit about how he's such a better singer than Roth, you think he'd be able to nail those classic tunes, rather than fumble them or pass them off to Mike to sing.

Guess Hagar's mid-range screech has no balls in the lower registers, no balls being a suitable epitaph for Van Hagar music in general.

John Holmes
09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
"Anyone that can't stand out there and sing a song like 'Panama' and have fun singing it, you're not a rock 'n' roll singer, as far as I'm concerned," Hagar said. "I think we're doing a great job this time out. I mean, like, 'Unchained' (from 1980's 'Fair Warning') is smoking. I think it's as good as it ever was.

http://www.alansmind.com/feces.jpg