I know that there are some axe slingers up in this mofo nah nah...so temme what blues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loons The Great

I know that there are some axe slingers up in this mofo nah nah...so temme what blues

Y'all play when ya pick up that geetar and bang on those strings like a freebie from a Vegas hooker...when ya stomp a beat like John Lee Hooker and let loose a gutbucket blues shout nah nah...

Myself, I been playin' Tishomingo Blues by Peg Leg Howell and Stop Breakin' Down(White Stripes style nah) and Aberdeen, Mississippi Blues by Bukka White...an' always a lil' Ice Cream Man...
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

I play slide sometimes around freinds who can't understand it, going towards "Preaching The Blues" Robert Johnson

Comment

• Rebel
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Feb 2004

I'm not an axe slinger, but Hooker is my fav, no doubt. I have Robert Johnson's complete recordings, a box set worth getting no doubt, love listening to that stuff. Nobody put their heart into it like RJ, badass.....
      The BLASTFurnace turned me into a bitch

Comment

• Susie Q
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Re: I know that there are some axe slingers up in this mofo nah nah...so temme what blues

Originally posted by Loons The Great
        Y'all play when ya pick up that geetar and bang on those strings like a freebie from a Vegas hooker...when ya stomp a beat like John Lee Hooker and let loose a gutbucket blues shout nah nah...

Myself, I been playin' Tishomingo Blues by Peg Leg Howell and Stop Breakin' Down(White Stripes style nah) and Aberdeen, Mississippi Blues by Bukka White...an' always a lil' Ice Cream Man...
        You are so damn cool, you shit ice, ya know it?! Lawdy lawd, I just luv your jive.

Big props and respect to ya my brotha.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
        ~Susie Q 2009

Comment

• Loons The Great

Originally posted by GAR
          I play slide sometimes around freinds who can't understand it, going towards "Preaching The Blues" Robert Johnson
          Do you play it in open E? or open Eb? On Jeff Buckley's re-mastered,"Grace," he plays a kickass version of Parchman Farm Blues by Bukka White and then Preachin' Blues by Robert Johnson(a very, very cool unlisted track...)

I play most of my blues in open E. Stuff like Mean Ol' Fireman, Hitch Hiking Woman, Sweet Little Angel, Nuthin' But The Devil, It Hurts Me Too, The Sky Is Crying, Show-Biz Blues, and Prodigal Son.

Comment

• Loons The Great

Re: Re: I know that there are some axe slingers up in this mofo nah nah...so temme what blues

Originally posted by Susie Q
            You are so damn cool, you shit ice, ya know it?! Lawdy lawd, I just luv your jive.

Big props and respect to ya my brotha.
            You just gave me a wrap around smile.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Re: I know that there are some axe slingers up in this mofo nah nah...so temme what blues

Originally posted by Loons The Great

A lil' John Lee Hooker, along the lines of "Boom Boom" and "Boogie Chillun".
              Or á la Canned Heat, "John Lee Hooker Boogie".
              Or maybe even some ZZ Top, "Fool For Your Stockings" or "My Heads In Missisippi".

It's the one chord thing...
              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Loons The Great

Wella?

Comment

• Loons The Great

I've been soupin' up a lil',"Dust My Broom," by Elmore James and,"Shake 'Em On Down," by Mississippi Fred McDowell...yez yeah...makin' that ol' fiddle talk nah...play it good, bouy!!...

Comment

• degüello
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

Well, lately all the blues I've been playing is in a deep vein running downstream through bluegrass music, on a loud ass fucking banjo.

But when I do slip on the ol' six-string, if I ain't squeezing out some acoustic 'grass blues licks, a la Larry Sparks, I'm sure to be jamming on some thick-ass ZZ Top 'shine.
                    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

I tend to play in open E flat....but that is just cause I tune down a half step on all my stuff.

I have a song I wrote which is sorta like Elmore James meets Metallica...thrash with heavy blues shit all through it...

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2005

Got me a little toy acoustic guitar, was about $15 new ...

...I like playing blues on it, standard tuning...like RL Burnside "Begged For A Nickel"....sounds so authentic.

Open G for slide on rare occaisions.

And "Bring It On Home" in the band...not the one Zep covered but the one that starts "If you ever change your mind, about leaving me behind"

Loons, who originally did both Bring It On Homes?

Comment

• Loons The Great

Sam Cooke

Sonny Boy Williamson II aka Rice Miller

Comment

• Loons The Great

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                            I tend to play in open E flat....but that is just cause I tune down a half step on all my stuff.
                            Does that have anything to do with Ice Cream Man??

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Lightning Hopkins

Albert King

Buddy Guy

Howlin' Wolf

Muddy Waters

Keb Mo

Louisiana Red

Junior Wells

Mose Allison

Chris Duarte

SRV

Leadbelly

Little Axe

Son Seals

Little Walter

Big Joe Williams

Clarence Frogman Henry

Willie Dixon

"Damn right, I've got the Blues"!
                              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

Working...