PDA

View Full Version : Another one converted - A true story

sambo
09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
The weekend just passed, I invited a friend (and singer / guitarist in a band I was in before I moved) to come intersate for his birthday. After an afternoon / night of beer consumption, we went back to play some very loud guitar at my place (as you do... oh, and consume more beer). He noticed a stack of CDs all over my coffee table, as the night before I had been going through all my Van Halen CDs (no Hagar), various bootlegs, and exerps from US Fest '83.

He knows my stance on the whole Dave / Spammy situation and I then spent the next 6 hours going through every album of the Big Six, (with additional commentary provided by me) ;) starting with Diver Down, through to VHII, the WACF, FW, VH, and then 1984. I then proceeded to play him Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM off BOV1.

Now this dude comes from a Rush / Yes / Zappa / Holdsworth / ( and now Opeth) school and apart from the classics, knew little of early VH. He was, simply put, blown away by the energy and sheer musicianship with Dave at the helm. I played a few live DVD tracks just to show what they can do live.

His favourite tracks were (to mention a few) I'm the One, You're no Good, Mean Street, Loss of Control, The Full Bug, So this is Love (Live), Girl Gone Bad and CGTSNM.

This dude has, for the past 4 years, put up with me and all things Van Halen. So as a guest in my house I thought it a perfect opportunity to "share" with him ;), considering he did the same to me with Yes a few years back.

I ended up copying a few tracks onto a CD for him to take back home, with him saying he'd love to add Mean Street to his set. (He plays covers as encore requests). He is also adding the Big Six to his CD collection.

My work here is done, another convert. :cool: and we did end up drinking a lot of beer.... :D

The power of Dave indeed works in mysterious ways.

Rikk
09-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Look work, soldier. I believe a medal is in order...

sambo
09-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Cheers Rikk! - just spreading the truth

DLR_EngineRoom
09-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

Right you are, Rikk. Sambo son, take a bow, and be sure that there ain't no Hagaritas behind you lookin' for a freebee, ok?

Good work, soldier...

sambo
09-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Cheers guys, I am truly honoured. (checks behind... and THEN bows) ;)

5 stars for you both..