PDA

View Full Version : BOBW certified platinum?

Samsonite
09-08-2004, 05:49 PM
From Billboard.com

Also scoring their first platinum honors in August were Velvet Revolver ("Contraband," RCA) and Big & Rich ("Horse of a Different Color," Warner Bros.). Van Halen's career-spanning compilation "The Best of Both Worlds" (Warner Bros.) reached the platinum level, as did Lil' Flip's "U Gotta Feel Me" (Columbia), Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits" (Geffen).

Unless it's a typo...what's going on?

interceptor
09-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Not sure what the deal is.....over at the links it was posted to have sold I think 338000 copies to date. I know that certification gets confusing, nobody seems to know for sure if one sale of BOBW counts for two because its a double disc or if platinum and gold awards are based on what is shipped to stores or what is actually sold?? I dunno.

EmpyreLounge44
09-08-2004, 07:22 PM
its by what is shipped so BOBW has shipped 500,000 units

Rebel
09-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44

Exactly. It does get credit for two, which I don't agree with personally, but that's the way it is and will be.

DavidLeeWrath
09-08-2004, 09:13 PM
How did Dave's album do?

Oh wait.....he's too busy figuring how how to say 'defibrillator' without cracking up like a retard.

LOL!!!

tjvhou812
09-08-2004, 09:20 PM
daves album will do just fine, thanks for asking

Matt White
09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeWrath
How did Dave's album do?

Oh wait.....he's too busy figuring how how to say 'defibrillator' without cracking up like a retard.

LOL!!!

HEY! If your here, who's guarding your BRIDGE??????

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

Big Train
09-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Reminds me of the old industry joke: It sold gold and returned platinum...

Rebel
09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
How did Dave's album do?

Better than yours chief

Diver Down NJ
09-09-2004, 11:40 AM
How did Dave's album do?

LOL!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/cholmes75/tyson.gif

TongueNGroove
09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
What yah think about that PLATINUM guys? Ohh I KNOW that is breaking some hearts around here.

RogueHorseman
09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
What yah think about that PLATINUM guys? Ohh I KNOW that is breaking some hearts around here.

It has sold about 170,000 fewer copies than VH3 at this point in time.... yeah, what a frickin' heartbreaker, pal.

TongueNGroove
09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Well it has only been out for a little over a month, good lord, what do you expect? I think that considering how long it's been out, going PLATINUM is something to brag about. And seeing as how most of you have been dissing this tour and album the entire way I think it is pretty funny that in a little over a month it has gone platinum and they are the #6 touring band in the world.

Terry
09-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Woooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Just goes to show how much things have changed when the champagne is broken out to celebrate a Van Halen double disc CD "going platinum" / shipping 500,000 units / selling 350,000 or so of those.

Remember when VH used to break platinum on albums chock full of new material without breaking a sweat?

GAR
09-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44

Who the fuck is this "Bob W." dude you keep citing, and why is he shipping platinum - when his returns will be counted as double-platinum?

janthraxx
09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812

LOL....30,000 copies is fine?

TongueNGroove
09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
VH goes Platinum, DLR goes Aluminum, you guys must be proud.

lms2
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
oh get back under your rock. :D Dave's makin his money either way.

RogueHorseman
09-09-2004, 11:47 PM
VH goes Platinum, DLR goes Aluminum, you guys must be proud.

Last time I checked, tongueNguys, they were heavily relying on the DAVE ERA to sell their wares... be it BOBW and the money grab summer "tour".

Little wonder, it has outsold the Sammy era more than 2:1.

You like the negative attention, don't you, pathetic troll?

TongueNGroove
09-10-2004, 12:00 AM
You actually think that people are buying that album for the 20 year old DLR era tunes that they ALL have on disk or MP3 and have heard a zillion times? Don't think so pal. The main reason BOBW is doing well is because of the new tunes.

hotdog@ a shake
09-10-2004, 12:39 AM
doing well? a fuckin' 36 track, double disc Greatest Hits package, spanning 25 years of recordings, and one week in the Top 10???

it's been on the BB200, for wha, 5 weeks now and it sits at #55...LOL

your right in a way about sales, the sheep jus keep gettin' smaller and the 331,000 sheep that did buy it is living proof!!! besides, I bet the dwindling sheep fan base that did purchase BOBW are really jammin' to the REAL VAN HALEN...

you see, eddie and al keep fuckin' themselves anway you look at it. when you play those 2 discs in running order, SPAM, DAVE, SPAM, DAVE...you really can appreciate how much BETTER the classic Van Halen trax really are!!! u dig? so, in a way, it's good that it runs like that, cuz then people, (even the close minded, def toned sheep), can finally realize, and admit, that Classic Van halen w/ Diamond Dave is the stuff of true LEGENDS...that lives Fo-EVA...

trust me on that one...

TongueNGroove
09-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Hey, I am not denying that the DLR era is kick ass because it is, half of my favorite VH tunes are from the DLR era. However, I think that contributing the sales of this album to those old tunes is merely misleading yourself.

Rebel
09-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Hey, I am not denying that the DLR era is kick ass because it is, half of my favorite VH tunes are from the DLR era. However, I think that contributing the sales of this album to those old tunes is merely misleading yourself.

Your kidding right? You think a good portion of those people didn't but it for "Jump" and "RWTD", yea right.

RogueHorseman
09-10-2004, 09:55 AM
You actually think that people are buying that album for the 20 year old DLR era tunes that they ALL have on disk or MP3 and have heard a zillion times? Don't think so pal. The main reason BOBW is doing well is because of the new tunes.

Firstly, I'm not your pal, tool.

Secondly, the CD and tour are both already considered an utter failure by CCC and WBR.

My qualifications to speak such? Almost three decades in the radio, records and event promotions industry... take it for whatever you consider it worth, I could not care less, but speak with authority.

Also, you brought the sissy piss-war verbage. You love Hargar? Good for you. This is a Roth and classic VH site, however, where we make no apologies, take no prisioners. I openly admit proudly to preferring the Dave-era material, hands down, so Hargar fans will call me biased.... You think I give two sh*ts?

Anyway, the point is that business is business, and no matter personal preference -- this tour and BOBW are a huge flop, a failure of massive proportions -- money drainage city for CCC and WB's too. In fact, WB's have wanted Dave back ALL along, all these years... Not out of any style preference, they don't give a rats a** about that, but because they DO care about making the most money and have the RESEARCH to show where and on what/who the MUCH higher prencentage of fans will spend it on.

You know, there IS a real reason why the playlists of rock stations in market after market play almost exclusively Roth era Halen tracks... RESEARCH clearly shows it is what the masses want and expect to hear along side the Beatles, Stones, Floyd and Zep. The only songs that test a blip on the radar from Sammy are "One Way To Rock, "Can't Drive 55" and from his VH work "Why Can't this be Love" and "Finish What Ya Started". In stark contrast, the entire first six albums worth of Dave era VH material tests extremely high. We're talking in the same range as the enitre Led Zeppelin or Hendrix catalogs... Tunes like "Jump", "Unchained", and "Panama" test in the range of "Satisfaction" and "Stairway To Heaven".

It's the plain truth, like it or not. Radio is literally a numbers game, and you play what the masses want to hear or you lose the ratings game at the end of the day.

Radio isn't playing the three new tracks, for good reason. One, they suck... Two, the masses have said so loud and clear.

Bill Lumbergh
09-10-2004, 10:01 AM

The main reason BOBW is doing well is because of the new tunes.

You are fucking insane...........

Carmine
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
In Daves book he mentions BOBW. Where he is talking about Volume I. How "half of it is some other singer, a guitar on the cover, and I heard they put guitar picks in some of them for the kiddies. Whats the next record gonna come with? An Apology?

How did Dave know 8 years ago they should apologize for their next record? HAHAHHA!

bastardog
09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Why We don't make a plan to take Hagar out of Van Halen.
like convince some extremist muslim that Hagar is against whatever they belive

Bad Muthafucker
09-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812

what's this talk about an album?? is this a NEW album? sorry everybody, i've been on vacation for the last week and haven't been on the website, so if there has been any new news about dave in the last week, i'm completely in the dark about it.

Matt White
09-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
In Daves book he mentions BOBW. Where he is talking about Volume I. How "half of it is some other singer, a guitar on the cover, and I heard they put guitar picks in some of them for the kiddies. Whats the next record gonna come with? An Apology?

How did Dave know 8 years ago they should apologize for their next record? HAHAHHA!

BRILLIANT!!!! 5 STAR VOTE to you SIR!!!
BRAVO!!!

BARE BONE
09-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Dave's not even in the band anymore and he's still carrying them.

TwoFoolsAMinute
09-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Release an all-spammy Best Of, and see how close to platinum that fucker gets. Diamond Dave didn't sell that great, wasn't that great a record. But Dave will be back, Van Hagar won't.

Matt White
09-11-2004, 01:44 AM
I said all along, from first hearing 'bout BOBW, that the Van Hagar camp are a bunch of PUSSIES. If they had ONE set of SCROTUM BETWEEN THE 4 OF THEM, they would have put out a Spammy ONLY greatest hits. And toured playing ONLY Spammy songs. Let 'em put their MONEY where their MOUTHS are, and let the chips fall where they would have. They could have TRULY put the PAST behind them. BUT, THEY ARE PUSSIES. No ballz, no guts, NO HEART.

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!:fucku: :fucku: :fucku:

:donkey:

Figs
09-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I said all along, from first hearing 'bout BOBW, that the Van Hagar camp are a bunch of PUSSIES. If they had ONE set of SCROTUM BETWEEN THE 4 OF THEM, they would have put out a Spammy ONLY greatest hits. And toured playing ONLY Spammy songs. Let 'em put their MONEY where their MOUTHS are, and let the chips fall where they would have. They could have TRULY put the PAST behind them. BUT, THEY ARE PUSSIES. No ballz, no guts, NO HEART.

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!:fucku: :fucku: :fucku:

:donkey:

That was their original plan, to eventually phase out all Dave stuff in concert. I remember reading that during their 5150 tour. Shitty music has a way of changing your plans.

Matt White
09-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Figs
That was their original plan, to eventually phase out all Dave stuff in concert. I remember reading that during their 5150 tour. Shitty music has a way of changing your plans.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

interceptor
09-11-2004, 09:36 AM

This album is not selling well because of the new tunes, its because it is currently Van Halen's best retrospective and it will continue to sell reasonably well for years. IMO, people DID initially buy BOV 1 for the new Roth tunes, and after the first few months, they bought it because they were fans of the band and wanted to buy an album, so why not the greatest hits. Anyone that wanted the new tunes from this album had them downloaded a month before the thing hit the stores, so I'm guessing hardly anyone bought it for that. They bought it because Van Halen is a multi-platinum selling act and this disc has their best songs (according to WB) on it.

Matt White
09-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Stick a fork in 'em fellas, this shit is done.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

SNIPER
09-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by janthraxx
LOL....30,000 copies is fine?

BOBW is the best selling Roth ablum in 12 years.

DLR'sCock
09-12-2004, 12:11 PM
BOBW has sold about 331,000 copies.....maybe they shipped 500,000, and since it is a double CD the RIAA counts Double CD's twice, then it is counted as 500,000 * 2 which equals One Million....but it's really 500,000 shipped....and only 331,000 copies sold...it is at number 67 on Billboard and sinking just like the tour...

Listen to the Van Hagar 2004 live boots on the net, they sound pretty bad...

RogueHorseman
09-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
BOBW has sold about 331,000 copies.....maybe they shipped 500,000, and since it is a double CD the RIAA counts Double CD's twice, then it is counted as 500,000 * 2 which equals One Million....but it's really 500,000 shipped....and only 331,000 copies sold...it is at number 67 on Billboard and sinking just like the tour...

Listen to the Van Hagar 2004 live boots on the net, they sound pretty bad...

Precisely.

Terry
09-12-2004, 11:00 PM
The sheep can spin it any way they like.

Fact of the matter is Van Halen are just washed up. 3 new tunes released in the 6 years since Vsn Halen 3 was put out. Pathetic, and that's not even addressing quality (you really can't, because Van Hagar has none).

Ed has attempted to become what he derided regarding KISS and other nostalgia bands in 1996 as part of his convoluted logic about not wanting to tour with Roth. Not only is he the guitar player in a nostalgia band, but is touring and by and large promoting an era of the band that many weren't thrilled about the first time around. Not only the waning record sales of the Van Hagar era (each release selling less than the one before it) but the fact that it was eclipsed by the classic era should be a wakeup call to anyone looking to trade in on memories.

Never mind moving forward, Eddie and his brother fuck up even when they attempt to look backwards. The half-filled arenas and cancelled shows alone bear this out.

At least KISS knew how to become a successful nostalgia act.

And I'm not buying any of this 2-disc sets are equal to two single disc releases bullshit, not the fact that Van Halen shipped a half-million copies of BOBW means that they have SOLD that many copies (which they haven't).

Am more inclined to believe that most of the sales are due to the three new Van Hagar songs and the curiosity factor. Hey, I'm just astonished that there FEWER than 350,000 morons willing to part with the money to get these tunes on a double-disc set that they could have downloaded free off the internet.

Have been thinking of Van Halen in the past tense for so long now, and it seems Ed and Al have come to view their band in the same way. There was hope for contextualizing the group in terms of the present and future in 1996, but that opportunity was pissed away.

If the Van Halens open up the vaults and start pushing for previously unofficially released classic audio and video to be made available, then they'll start gettin' my money again.

Matt White
09-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER

And the BEST selling Spammy one in 8? No, your right, Spammy isn't selling any albums.

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!!

Lou
09-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Who in general would be buying this? Even if you're a Van Hagar fan, you have all the albums...I just can't believe people are that much of sheep that they'll buy it out of principle to support Eddie.

GAR
09-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER

HA

http://www.newzcentral.com/viewfinder/berrett/berrett%20art%20folder/crash.jpg

So troo..

Carmine
09-14-2004, 03:59 PM
I think most people that have bought it are " learning to see" that "Its about time" that they threw " up for breakfast" !

BIG GOOSE
09-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Here in Australia this piece of shit(with 3 new Hammy songs) is tanking.The following is from the ARIA national album chart 9/13/04

TW LW TI HP Title Artist Company

41 31 3 31 THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS Van Halen WARNER

It went to no3 in the U.S. but won't even go gold here.
I guess it goes to show we Aussies will only accept sheep in 2 ways

1) We skin and wear them in winter
2) We eat them barbequed.

We don't listen to them bleating "When It's Love",Dreams and other assorted excreta.

For those who are curious,the BOV1(with new DLR tracks) went platinum here in 1997.sez it all AFAIC.DLR VH is the only one anyone would give a shit about here.

Big Train
09-15-2004, 03:04 AM
I wonder what the people at WB are thinking about this disaster. For those who don't know, WB was bought out from Time Warner recently and is now in the hands of Edgar Bronfman Jr. (Seagrams heir, formerly of Universal Music) and the venture firm of Thomas Lee. They were hoping that this catalog item would sell boatloads and help them keep the lights on while the gutted and rebuilt the ship. That is not to be obviously and chaos reigns supreme now, as their release schedule is fucked till at least early 05, execs are being cut and restructured and there is no money coming in.

Understand there WERE expectations for this record and they were NOT met at all.

BTW, those Roth shots were WEAK. You can be spiteful all you want, but you know at the end of the day, the sisters will be placing that call...if WB doesn't place it for them.

Panamark
09-15-2004, 03:17 AM
The main reason BOBW is doing well is because of the new tunes.

Now *THAT* is some good comedy, right there !! Thanks TNG !! :D
That gets the Panamark two nostril beer snort award..
In fact Im finding it hard to type this from laughing so much :D

Panamark
09-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Hey is it just me, or is very strange that the Sheep are celebrating something that has sold less units than VHIII ????

VHIII is our recognized benchmark of Van Halens lowest point..

I dont get it ??

WTF are they celebrating ??

Even if this sells slightly more than VHIII, its still a fucking failure !!
Hardly a triumphant Van Hagar return ?

Matt White
09-15-2004, 02:29 PM
So, it "shipped" platinum? And its sold about 350,000 copies? (Not counting each disk, SHEEP) Looks like your gonna see PLENTY of copies in the cut-out bins across the USA. Probably more than ou812 & VHIII. Yup, someting to celebrate alright!!!