PDA

View Full Version : Van Hagar show Tampa

jacksmar
09-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Shagar has the world’s best backup band. Spammy featuring Eddie Van Hagar. Yes, it was that bad.

- The Roth era tunes were clearly what the audience wanted to hear.
- The pace of the band was half assed at best. They were going through the motions.
- E V Hagar’s guitar solo was uninspired and at moments embarrassing. His phrasing is intermittent and only touched on some of his brilliant solos of the past.
- “Unchained” featured no break. Solo was uninspired.
- E V Hagar mumbled something incoherently into the microphone for either the soundman to acknowledge or a gratuitous request for more applause.
- The new tunes suck. And yes there was some “booing” and a couple of items thrown to the “stage”.
- The “stage” extended at the sides to create a false connection to the audience; something Roth has not had to do throughout his career.
- Shagar wore the typical Ronald McDonald yellow, changing later into roadie hand me down.
- Video shots of E V Hagar’s ankle while playing with his WahWah were totally unnecessary. His ankle looks like hell, gout or something.

I didn’t stay for the full show and left as Right On started.

Van Halen in its current form is a miserable imitation of what they once were. They excitement that the band once created is now created by the fans and by the low number of fans that showed for them, they can’t count on the excitement to last very much longer.
The reason that the audience had any proportion at all was due to the fact that people showed up from the cities where the band had cancelled shows.

Ace Frehley made me want to play the guitar, and Eddie Van Halen made me want to play the guitar well. Eddie Van Hagar showed up to Tampa and was mediocre. His sense of direction is unfocused and lackadaisical. This speaks to something more than ego, age, or talent. Any of these three can be overcome by placing yourself in a position where you are surrounded by the best people you can count on. For Eddie Van Hagar to reach where Eddie Van Halen is at, he simply needs to make the call to Roth. He will at last have closure and return to the icon status anyone that wanted to play the guitar well recognized. As a backup band member for Shagar, EVH leaves behind the tenure and credibility the band took so long to acquire. Once you lose the fans, it’s hard to get them back. Eddie will be leaving more than Roth out if the current situation continues.

Carmine
09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
thats probably the best review I have read yet. Good post!
For Eddie Van Hagar to reach where Eddie Van Halen is at, he simply needs to make a call to David Lee Roth! says it all...

guwapo_rocker
09-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
thats probably the best review I have read yet. Good post!
For Eddie Van Hagar to reach where Eddie Van Halen is at, he simply needs to make a call to David Lee Roth! says it all...

He won't be making any call if sheep like Jacksmar keep going

to see them with Gaybar!!

Figs
09-10-2004, 10:58 AM
I said NO VAN HAGAR!!!

JCOOK
09-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Dont' do it DAVE Eddie deserves this shit

Matt White
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
What EVH DESERVES is a punch right to the FUCKING chops!!!!
FUCK HIM AND Van Hagar!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

BRANDON
09-10-2004, 11:41 AM
they deserve what's coming to them.

jacksmar
09-10-2004, 11:50 AM
The show was really awful. Rick Springfield put on a better show and played a couple of Jimi Hendrix tunes. It helped that Matt Bissonette was on bass. Rodger Carter who plays drums has played for quite a few including Eddie Money, Gene Simmons, and Lita Ford is in Rick's touring band.
Rick obviously surrounds him self with people he can count on. It helped that the audience was packed with women for Rick's show.

After Rick was done, the women were ready to party.

Can’t say the same for the Van Hagar catastrophe.

Matt White
09-10-2004, 12:13 PM
THe ONLY reason to attend a Van Hagar concert is in the hope that the Lighting Rig will collapse and crush the band. Outside of that, NO reason to EVER pay to see these old ASS-PIRATES!!!!

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!!

DrMaddVibe
09-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
He won't be making any call if sheep like Jacksmar keep going

to see them with Gaybar!!

http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar/

Did anyone see the leaflets I put on windows at that fagathon?

BARE BONE
09-10-2004, 02:22 PM
jacksmar how could you even find it in you to see Van Hagar and then come here and tell us. Listen to guwapo_rocker .

ELVIS
09-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar
The show was really awful. Rick Springfield put on a better show and played a couple of Jimi Hendrix tunes. It helped that Matt Bissonette was on bass. Rodger Carter who plays drums has played for quite a few including Eddie Money, Gene Simmons, and Lita Ford is in Rick's touring band.
Rick obviously surrounds him self with people he can count on. It helped that the audience was packed with women for Rick's show.

LMAO!

:elvis:

ELVIS
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar

LMAO!

:elvis:

Carmine
09-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Rick SpringField just played the NYS Fair...for free!

Cindy Lauper did get into a fight with the NYS Troopers though, that was kinda cool!

jacksmar
09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Well, Bare Bone and guwapo it’s like this….

The Mrs. wanted to hit the Hard Rock and play some slots and I don’t get off on that stuff like I used to.
So I dropped her off and went down to the forum. Here’s where it gets stupid. I’m immediately assaulted by hurried scalpers due to the fact that they are losing their collective asses on this show. A floor seat was roughly $87. I’m ready to get it for $45 when another scalper says $35. I take the $35 and run a little because I didn’t want to get in the middle of an argument that ensued behind me. So, I partly went knowing I could get the ticket cheap.

But here’s why I went……

When I wanted to learn how to play better, Eddie Van Halen was the only guy to copy at that time. What set Eddie apart from every other player wasn’t the notes or the tapping or even his “brown sound”. It was the dynamics and phrasing. The dynamics were incorporated to showcase ability but my gut tells me that David Lee Roth added a dimension to Eddie’s ability that he would not have had: showmanship. When I read all the old interviews about how someone in the band camp was asking Eddie, “What are you dickin’ with now?” It had to be Dave. Dave’s ear trained on Eddie’s “dickin’ and turned what Eddie could play into something you could see and feel. That added a dynamic to Eddie’s playing when combined with his phrasing couldn’t be duplicated. His phrasing wasn’t just note selection or how many notes; it’s where someone with Eddie’s ability could have direction to draw attention to ability. And that’s pure Dave. If Dave and Ted hadn’t nixed a lot of what Eddie played, his playing wouldn’t have been memorable. That’s what’s cool about David Lee Roth. What the Van Halen’s missed was Dave’s innate ability to think, write, and perform within the framework of the band.

You can replace the singer, but you don’t replace a singer when the dynamic of a band is direct result of the singer’s input. Eddie’s playing last night was lackluster and uninspired. Why? The dynamic that made you feel the show as well see it wasn’t present. Eddie has become Shagar’s guitar player. Nothing more. His solo was the high point of the night for most, for me it unfortunately was contrived noodling. It wasn’t the guy who had people like David Lee Roth around him telling him how much better he was when he played it right instead of overplaying. And there is a difference.

David Lee Roth is the reason there was a Van Halen. Otherwise, I believe Eddie would still be sitting in his bedroom dickin’ and noodlin’. Much like his solo was last night.

Last night’s review:
http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBGA3NUXYD.html