PDA

View Full Version : The Truth! Posted this at the links

mattiew23m
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I know i'm probably gonna get flamed away for what i'm about to say, but i just didn't like the concert at all. I got nothing from it. To me, it was a lot of "pretending" to get along.. Sam, Mike, and Al were as tight as could be.. But Eddie trying to get along with everyone looked false.. And a lot of portions of the show it seemed like it was just Sam and mike..
Granted it was like that on previous tours, especially balance.. But, even backstage pics.. You see none of them hanging out. Its always Sam, and Mike. It was great to see them on stage.. Like the inital moment is amazing, cause you've waited so long, but then half way during the set, your like wow, what did i wait for? I love sammy to death.. I followed him went he went solo from marching to mars and on.. When he started with the waborita's on the marching to mars tour there was no chemistry at all, but toward the end there.. Wow they were a great band.. I saw them everywhere. Sam, and Dave tour, Battary Park NYC free show, irving plaza, and they just nailed the moment, and played killer songs.. It was just a different kind of beast.. And, well i don't see why sammy has to do the van halen thing. I think, the waborita's is a special thing, and he should of stuck with that. I know that he is still gonna play with them, but i think that's where he need's to be, and i think its where he wants to be. Sammy is so beyond worrying about how he looks to the public.. The man is already well established, and likes to just kick back, and throw party's for small crowds.. And hell, there is nothin' wrong with that! Now, if sammy were to stay in van halen and they never broke up.. Seeing van halen live would feel special to me, and sammy would seem like that perfect fit. But, they brought back the old times, they brought back dave in 96. People were excited, pissed, or shocked.. I was actually shocked, pissed, and then intrested. But, then as soon as i got intrested, it fell apart, and gary fuckin' cherone was in the band. I went to that tour, and it was just funny. A lot of people enjoyed it, but to me, it was all a joke.
So, i start digging through my old dave collection, and i just see the impact this guy had on the band.. They were fun, they were badass, they were all over the place.. It was just a good rock n roll concert.. You can't duplicate the original thing. And this is coming from a die hard sammy fan. Dave was the man, and he carried the band.. Not musically, but just the image, and the chemistry.. It was just something that people wanted to see. And i really thought roth was on his way back in. I saw him solo in phildelphia when fuel opened for him.. Place was packed, and dave was rockin'.. You got knocked off your ass.. Its rock n roll all the way through.. No breaks, your running out of breath, your heart is pumpin, and you got a big smile on your face. You don't want to be there, and think about sitting down sometimes... When i saw roth and hagar.. Hagar was great, sang a long to the songs that i liked, but when roth hit, it was like a bomb, the audience singing running with the devil, and i'm the one.. People were loving it to death, cause they haven't heard these songs played in such a long time, and to see dave reminded them of how great times were back then, or how they wish they were old enough to have been there.. I know, i felt that way. I think van halen has to do a reunion tour with dave. This sammy thing didn't make sense to me.. It just seemed like nothing that different or exciting.. It was great to have the boys back, but it was nothing that kicked you in the ass.
You kinda knew what to expect, before the tour started. Dave really needs to come back.. I don't care if he bleaches his hair, throws in plugs, wears crazy outfits, fuck it, its van halen, its all about fun.. Imagine the site of edward and dave side by side.. It would be amazing!!! It would be a proud moment in rock n roll history.. Van Halen was great with dave, and was great with sammy. But, things started to die down with sammy during balance, people wanted the old stuff, and they weren't getting it.. Eddie even tried to get sammy to sing older songs, and couldn't get him to do them. But, if sammy sung them, it really wouldn't change anything, cause its not dave. If dave were to sing sammy songs, we would laugh. Cause in all honesty dave couldn't sing sammy songs.. It would sound terrible, and sam does have trouble singing some dave songs.. Its time to just have a little bit of a reality check here. Do we want to see sammy and the boy's playing the same songs with a few new one's with non sell out crowds, cause a lot of seats are empty.. Or do we want to hear classic van halen songs that we haven't heard played by the boys in years and years plus new songs (If dave can write some decent fuckin' material) <--- that's one area where dave has been weak in recent times. I would vote for a classic van halen tour in a heart beat, and then go check out a sammy and the waborita's show.. I dunno, that's how i would get my best of both worlds..

I thought maybe you guys would share my opinion on this. I'm not being an asshole, these are just the facts!!

Sarge's Little Helper
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I know i'm probably gonna get flamed away for what i'm about to say, but i just didn't like the concert at all. I got nothing from it. To me, it was a lot of "pretending" to get along.. Sam, Mike, and Al were as tight as could be.. But Eddie trying to get along with everyone looked false.. And a lot of portions of the show it seemed like it was just Sam and mike..
Granted it was like that on previous tours, especially balance.. But, even backstage pics.. You see none of them hanging out. Its always Sam, and Mike. It was great to see them on stage.. Like the inital moment is amazing, cause you've waited so long, but then half way during the set, your like wow, what did i wait for? I love sammy to death.. I followed him went he went solo from marching to mars and on.. When he started with the waborita's on the marching to mars tour there was no chemistry at all, but toward the end there.. Wow they were a great band.. I saw them everywhere. Sam, and Dave tour, Battary Park NYC free show, irving plaza, and they just nailed the moment, and played killer songs.. It was just a different kind of beast.. And, well i don't see why sammy has to do the van halen thing. I think, the waborita's is a special thing, and he should of stuck with that. I know that he is still gonna play with them, but i think that's where he need's to be, and i think its where he wants to be. Sammy is so beyond worrying about how he looks to the public.. The man is already well established, and likes to just kick back, and throw party's for small crowds.. And hell, there is nothin' wrong with that! Now, if sammy were to stay in van halen and they never broke up.. Seeing van halen live would feel special to me, and sammy would seem like that perfect fit. But, they brought back the old times, they brought back dave in 96. People were excited, pissed, or shocked.. I was actually shocked, pissed, and then intrested. But, then as soon as i got intrested, it fell apart, and gary fuckin' cherone was in the band. I went to that tour, and it was just funny. A lot of people enjoyed it, but to me, it was all a joke.
So, i start digging through my old dave collection, and i just see the impact this guy had on the band.. They were fun, they were badass, they were all over the place.. It was just a good rock n roll concert.. You can't duplicate the original thing. And this is coming from a die hard sammy fan. Dave was the man, and he carried the band.. Not musically, but just the image, and the chemistry.. It was just something that people wanted to see. And i really thought roth was on his way back in. I saw him solo in phildelphia when fuel opened for him.. Place was packed, and dave was rockin'.. You got knocked off your ass.. Its rock n roll all the way through.. No breaks, your running out of breath, your heart is pumpin, and you got a big smile on your face. You don't want to be there, and think about sitting down sometimes... When i saw roth and hagar.. Hagar was great, sang a long to the songs that i liked, but when roth hit, it was like a bomb, the audience singing running with the devil, and i'm the one.. People were loving it to death, cause they haven't heard these songs played in such a long time, and to see dave reminded them of how great times were back then, or how they wish they were old enough to have been there.. I know, i felt that way. I think van halen has to do a reunion tour with dave. This sammy thing didn't make sense to me.. It just seemed like nothing that different or exciting.. It was great to have the boys back, but it was nothing that kicked you in the ass.
You kinda knew what to expect, before the tour started. Dave really needs to come back.. I don't care if he bleaches his hair, throws in plugs, wears crazy outfits, fuck it, its van halen, its all about fun.. Imagine the site of edward and dave side by side.. It would be amazing!!! It would be a proud moment in rock n roll history.. Van Halen was great with dave, and was great with sammy. But, things started to die down with sammy during balance, people wanted the old stuff, and they weren't getting it.. Eddie even tried to get sammy to sing older songs, and couldn't get him to do them. But, if sammy sung them, it really wouldn't change anything, cause its not dave. If dave were to sing sammy songs, we would laugh. Cause in all honesty dave couldn't sing sammy songs.. It would sound terrible, and sam does have trouble singing some dave songs.. Its time to just have a little bit of a reality check here. Do we want to see sammy and the boy's playing the same songs with a few new one's with non sell out crowds, cause a lot of seats are empty.. Or do we want to hear classic van halen songs that we haven't heard played by the boys in years and years plus new songs (If dave can write some decent fuckin' material) <--- that's one area where dave has been weak in recent times. I would vote for a classic van halen tour in a heart beat, and then go check out a sammy and the waborita's show.. I dunno, that's how i would get my best of both worlds..

I thought maybe you guys would share my opinion on this. I'm not being an asshole, these are just the facts!!

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

RogueHorseman
09-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mattiew23m

Wow, a Hagar fan with an open mind and legit praise for Dave... That is kind of refreshing to see.

AJW
09-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
Wow, a Hagar fan with an open mind and legit praise for Dave... That is kind of refreshing to see.

You said it Rogue. I was pretty shocked after I read that. Especially coming from a Hagar fan.

Lou
09-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Where's the link to this, I'd like to see the reply comments. I wonder if the thread will get closed as the guy wants to see a Van HALEN reunion and said just the slightest bit of bad things about this tour.

Matt White
09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Where's the link to this, I'd like to see the reply comments. I wonder if the thread will get closed as the guy wants to see a Van HALEN reunion and said just the slightest bit of bad things about this tour.

NO KIDDING!!!
The Van Hagar CENSOR over at the links will jump on that like a dog on a bone. "Can't have freedom of speech, especially when it's PRO-DAVID LEE ROTH". That place is a joke. One-sided PROPAGANDA.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

guwapo_rocker
09-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Is irving plaza a shopping mall?

dave_is_vh
09-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts. Especially if your last name is Van Halen.

Panamark
09-11-2004, 05:54 PM
This Van Hagar fan can be saved !

smaz
09-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Or do we want to hear classic van halen songs that we haven't heard played by the boys in years and years plus new songs (If dave can write some decent fuckin' material) <--- that's one area where dave has been weak in recent times.

If VH reformed, Dave wouldn't be able to write any material. Ed wouldn't let him. But, a Sammy Fan who realises that Dave was the man, and with Sammy VH just doesn't match up to it, you shouldn't get flamed. Maybe toasted a little, but not too much :)

Switch84
09-16-2004, 07:15 PM
:p Oh, HELL NAW! I ain't got time to read all of that shit! Does this motherfucka like Roth or not?

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Rikk
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow. Great post. Good to see this kind of honesty. Hey, if I can admit that VHIII has some really redeeming qualities, I guess Hagar fans can be honest too.

guwapo_rocker
09-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
if I can admit that VHIII has some really redeeming qualities

Ummmm what redeeming qualities bro?:D

Rikk
09-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Ummmm what redeeming qualities bro?:D

I hate to admit it, but I still think it's better than the Hagar stuff. With Dave singing some of those songs, they would have been a lot better. Basically, I thought Ed did some great guitar work and there were no power ballads or CAN'T STOP LOVIN' YOU kind of moments on it. Still, yes. It doesn't work. But if Dave had stayed, some of the material would have been very good.

Lou
09-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I hate to admit it, but I still think it's better than the Hagar stuff. With Dave singing some of those songs, they would have been a lot better. Basically, I thought Ed did some great guitar work and there were no power ballads or CAN'T STOP LOVIN' YOU kind of moments on it. Still, yes. It doesn't work. But if Dave had stayed, some of the material would have been very good.

Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was the worst shit I ever heard, and now based on the last few months it's vaulted in my opinion over even the best Hagar songs. Well, except "How Many Say I" anyway. I mean don't get me wrong, the album still sucks major league ass but at least if I had to listen to it again, I wouldn't feel like punching a hole through a wall the way I do when I happen to catch a Van Hagar song on the radio.

Rikk
09-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was the worst shit I ever heard, and now based on the last few months it's vaulted in my opinion over even the best Hagar songs. Well, except "How Many Say I" anyway. I mean don't get me wrong, the album still sucks major league ass but at least if I had to listen to it again, I wouldn't feel like punching a hole through a wall the way I do when I happen to catch a Van Hagar song on the radio.

Yup. Too bad that Ed's revitalized guitar-playing was wasted on Gary Cherone. But Ed was playing better...and with an adventurous spirit (which he totally didn't have on ANY of the Hagar albums).

Again, that had the potential to be a good album...but wrong singer, wrong producer.

ELVIS
09-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
This Van Hagar fan can be saved !

He already has been!

Awesome post, eh Mark ??

:elvis:

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
09-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Who is Bette Midler?

Sarge's Little Helper
Who is Bette Midler?

Bette Midler is an actress/singer that bears an uncanny resemblance to Sammy Hagar. .. based on both being fat, old, red hair and both have FLOPPY, SLOPPY BREASTS. Bette was in a popular movie called Beaches and Sammy Hagar is just a plain Beatch.Thanks for your time..

bueno bob
...love that :D

ELVIS
Yup. Too bad that Ed's revitalized guitar-playing was wasted on Gary Cherone.

I still believe to this day that VHIII was intended to include DAVID LEE ROTH!

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I still believe to this day that VHIII was intended to include DAVID LEE ROTH!

You know, from a solely guitar-based standpoint, I'm tempted to agree. Van Halen 3 was eventually bogged down with so many rewrites, poor production, Ed in control of everything, the absence of Mike and Al throughout most of the album, and the general piss poor presentation of the whole thing, but....guitar wise, there were some real cool things going on with the album, if you can actually stomach the thing long enough to find them. Had Roth had a presence on that album, had they had someone other than Mike Post at the board and Ray Danniels managing them, so on and so forth...

Nobody will ever know...

Rikk
09-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
You know, from a solely guitar-based standpoint, I'm tempted to agree. Van Halen 3 was eventually bogged down with so many rewrites, poor production, Ed in control of everything, the absence of Mike and Al throughout most of the album, and the general piss poor presentation of the whole thing, but....guitar wise, there were some real cool things going on with the album, if you can actually stomach the thing long enough to find them. Had Roth had a presence on that album, had they had someone other than Mike Post at the board and Ray Danniels managing them, so on and so forth...

Nobody will ever know...

You and ELVIS are spot on.

If Ted Templeman had come back (or even if Fairbairn R.I.P. or Ballard had stayed on), and if the whole band participated with Dave singing and throwing out the worst tracks (HOW MANY SAY I, ONCE) and replacing them with straight ahead rockers and maybe an updated BIG TROUBLE, it could have been the 7-pack we'd be celebrating...not the 6-pack.

ELVIS
09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Edward uped the anty at that point...

I believe his killer guitar playing was related to the prospect of having Dave and real Van Halen music on his mind...

I believe Dave would be effected in much the same way, If such a reunion would happen...

But time is running out for our hero's...

:(

Rikk
09-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I hear ya, E. Problem is, Ed may not even live five years. Will we see another album from this band? I doubt it. But God I hope so.

Of course, Ed's guitar playing is right back to mediocrity again. But maybe Sam brings that out of him. Ed seems to have been on auto-pilot both for the new songs and the four Hagar albums (although he does play excellently on HUMANS BEING...as simple as the riff is).

ELVIS
09-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Ed can get it back any time he wants to!

He just has to clean himself up...

Will he do it ??

I hope so...

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:59 PM
I hear ya, E. Problem is, Ed may not even live five years. Will we see another album from this band? I doubt it. But God I hope so.

Of course, Ed's guitar playing is right back to mediocrity again. But maybe Sam brings that out of him. Ed seems to have been on auto-pilot both for the new songs and the four Hagar albums (although he does play excellently on HUMANS BEING...as simple as the riff is).

I think Ed was at a good point in his playing in 95 (at least with Humans Being, it's a good riff and the playing's fair, at least to my ears), and of course there's CGTSNM and MWM - great guitar songs themselves, definately, some of Ed's best work since 1984 so far as I'm concerned.

I agree wholeheartedly, and can almost guarantee that Sam allows Ed to sluff it. Sam's so fucking worried about being everybody's best friend (and wisely - let's face it, Sam knows Van Halen is his meal ticket, and by God he'd better do EVERYTHING in his power to make sure he stays on Ed's good side for his own commercial survival) that if Ed's uninspired, Hagar's not going to offer any encouragement or, perhaps more appropriately, kick Ed in this ass and tell him to get his shit together (and we all know - Roth WOULD - Roth was/is extremely exacting of his musicians).

And right there's your difference. Van Halen is sheer excellence with Roth and doesn't settle for second best. Van Hagar doesn't settle for second best, either...or third best, or even fourth best...maybe somewhere around seventh best and they're basically satisfied.

Which goes a long way to explaining why, between 1985 and 1995, you got 4 albums from VH, each one musically and structurally worse than the last.

Van Halen's problem really isn't a lack of David, or Hagar's presence, or sub-par material, drugs, alcohol or anything else.

VH's problem is complacency. And the only cure for it is David.

Even now, though, it may be too late for that.

RogueHorseman
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I think Ed was at a good point in his playing in 95 (at least with Humans Being, it's a good riff and the playing's fair, at least to my ears), and of course there's CGTSNM and MWM - great guitar songs themselves, definately, some of Ed's best work since 1984 so far as I'm concerned.

I agree wholeheartedly, and can almost guarantee that Sam allows Ed to sluff it. Sam's so fucking worried about being everybody's best friend (and wisely - let's face it, Sam knows Van Halen is his meal ticket, and by God he'd better do EVERYTHING in his power to make sure he stays on Ed's good side for his own commercial survival) that if Ed's uninspired, Hagar's not going to offer any encouragement or, perhaps more appropriately, kick Ed in this ass and tell him to get his shit together (and we all know - Roth WOULD - Roth was/is extremely exacting of his musicians).

And right there's your difference. Van Halen is sheer excellence with Roth and doesn't settle for second best. Van Hagar doesn't settle for second best, either...or third best, or even fourth best...maybe somewhere around seventh best and they're basically satisfied.

Which goes a long way to explaining why, between 1985 and 1995, you got 4 albums from VH, each one musically and structurally worse than the last.

Van Halen's problem really isn't a lack of David, or Hagar's presence, or sub-par material, drugs, alcohol or anything else.

VH's problem is complacency. And the only cure for it is David.

Even now, though, it may be too late for that.

That is a hard dose of reality, brother Bob... and, every word of it the truth.

RogueHorseman
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Somehow, don't ask me why, I've failed to cast a 5'er vote your way Bob... just rectified that oversight.

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
Somehow, don't ask me why, I've failed to cast a 5'er vote your way Bob... just rectified that oversight.

And I thank ya kindly! :D

Terry
09-17-2004, 04:14 PM

You know, might not agree with everything said, but this is about the best post I've read from someone who digs Hagar. At least you can see the reasoning behind his logic.

Think part of the problem is when people think in terms of a Van Halen reunion, they aren't thinking of it with Sammy fronting the band.

Sure, there are some who just want to see Eddie play no matter what, but a helluva lot more want to see the classic lineup reconvene.

Golden AWe
09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
nice post, BUT there will be no reunion tour

ever