PDA

View Full Version : Shock: Eddie did once (almost) speak the truth

Don Corleone
09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
An EVH quote taken from a 1984 interview:

"Al and I are the real Van Halen. There could always be a Van Halen as long as it's me and Al. But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty here tonight." (During a pre-concert interview in 1984)"

Well he almost got it right.

Carmine
09-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone

But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty here tonight." (During a pre-concert interview in 1984)"

and it seems as though they have seen about 50 shows which were pretty empty, take your own advice Ed!

good post Don! Chin Dant!( good luck for 100 years!)

Don Corleone
09-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
Chin Dant!( good luck for 100 years!)

E' stato un piacere

Matt White
09-13-2004, 01:29 PM

But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty here tonight."

I think he was seeing into the future, DON. EVH the mystical sage, looking ahead 20 years, sees that NOBODY GIVES A FUCK IF DAVID LEE ROTH ISN'T THERE!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Carmine
09-13-2004, 01:30 PM
too much for me DON, my grandparents only taught me the SWEAR words!

moose
09-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by DLRoswegony
too much for me DON, my grandparents only taught me the SWEAR words!

LOL. Then maybe you should learn to speak the language.

Learn your heritage, keep it alive.

FORZA CLASSICA VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thefive
09-13-2004, 11:04 PM
I am amazed that Ed said that.

sambo
09-13-2004, 11:08 PM

"Al and I are the real Van Halen. There could always be a Van Halen as long as it's me and Al. But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty here tonight." (During a pre-concert interview in 1984)"

Should send that quote back to Ed somehow... and then send some Van Hagar concert stats

Panamark
09-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Nice Quote.. Although I disagree about Ed and Al *being* Van Halen. Dave's lyrics and melodies were just as important as his showmanship. We havent heard as good lyrics and melodies since..

But they got the bit right about the place being empty..

Now Spammy gets to say "Look at all the people not here tonight !"

Calderone
09-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Drunks always says the truth

rustoffa
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Empty seats, empty bottles, empty-headed clown......there seems to be a void captain.

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/5057/spock2.jpg

bru87tr
09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
thats a well known quote. ed knows its true deep down inside.

BigDaddyD
09-14-2004, 09:45 PM
That should be the next DLR Army shirt. That quote, with EVH underneath with the date and interview information. On the back it should say Got Dave? just like the others.

Don Corleone
09-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BigDaddyD
That should be the next DLR Army shirt. That quote, with EVH underneath with the date and interview information. On the back it should say Got Dave? just like the others.

That's a bad idea, in fact its a very good idea. I'm impressed.

BigDaddyD
09-15-2004, 01:36 PM
is it bad or good?

Don Corleone
09-15-2004, 01:39 PM
It's a good idea.

Terry
09-15-2004, 05:22 PM
If Ed and Al are the real Van Halen, we should thank Dave for giving us all that fake classic Van Halen music, cuz w/o Dave, Ed and Al stink on ice.

lms2
09-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Premonitions need not be self fulfililng phrophecies Ed. Call Dave and kiss butt...

Hey Don, I found this the other day and thought of you...

bueno bob
09-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Well, the thing of it is, Ed knew then, and knows now, that Roth is the showstopper. I mean, for as much as he's said about Hagar over the years, well...I've no doubt that he works with Hagar better than he does with Roth, and I've also no doubt that Hagar works harder than Dave probably does to be everybody's best friend while he's in the band, but Dave is Dave, and there was no replacing him - not then, not now, not ever. If Ed wasn't convinced of all that prior to 1985, then it must have hit a resounding note with him when MTV happened in 1996...I mean, really, everybody in America forgot the last ten years had ever happened! That could NOT have been lost on Ed or Al or even Mike. Looking out over the empty seats this summer, I'm POSITIVE that the same note has been rung again.

Ed, even in his deepest and most drunken stupors, knows what the score is, somewhere deep down. So does Al. So does Mike. So does Roy. Most importantly, so do the fans, and when you're a succesful musician, what matters more than that?

Whether or not anything's to be done about the truth remains to be seen yet.

Terry
09-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, the thing of it is, Ed knew then, and knows now, that Roth is the showstopper. I mean, for as much as he's said about Hagar over the years, well...I've no doubt that he works with Hagar better than he does with Roth, and I've also no doubt that Hagar works harder than Dave probably does to be everybody's best friend while he's in the band, but Dave is Dave, and there was no replacing him - not then, not now, not ever. If Ed wasn't convinced of all that prior to 1985, then it must have hit a resounding note with him when MTV happened in 1996...I mean, really, everybody in America forgot the last ten years had ever happened! That could NOT have been lost on Ed or Al or even Mike. Looking out over the empty seats this summer, I'm POSITIVE that the same note has been rung again.

Ed, even in his deepest and most drunken stupors, knows what the score is, somewhere deep down. So does Al. So does Mike. So does Roy. Most importantly, so do the fans, and when you're a succesful musician, what matters more than that?

Whether or not anything's to be done about the truth remains to be seen yet.

Think it was the friction and animosity between Roth and EVH that was part of the dynamic that defined classic Van Halen. Almost seems like Roth and Ed were in competition/one-upsmanship with each other, and it brought out the best in both of them.

With Hagar, there's no friction, and subsequently, no passion or sense of purpose. Just blandness.

Am not saying "Roth was Van Halen". Never believed Eddie was it as far as the band went either. It was the combination of the four classic members, and the awareness of each regarding their own roles, that made classic VH music what it was and is.

Once Roth left, it became a different band. Van Halen in name only. In many ways, Hagar is just a symptom. The musical shift and subsequent pussification of Van Halen was already underway as early as 1984. Put the responsibility more at Ed's feet in the end than Hagar's. Not in terms of the band splitting up in 1985; Roth left the band. But in terms of the musical direction. That is laid at Eddie's feet.

TongueNGroove
09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
You are right he was wrong about one thing, for ten years after that they were still packing 'em in and dave was nowhere to be found.

guwapo_rocker
09-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
You are right he was wrong about one thing, for ten years after that they were still packing 'em in and dave was nowhere to be found.

Yeah Spam was packin' it in Mikey!

Shaddup Butt wind!

Switch84
09-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Empty seats, empty bottles, empty-headed clown......there seems to be a void captain.

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/5057/spock2.jpg

:D :D Woo Hoo, I LOVE that Mr. Spock send-up, Russ Baby! Ed's right in one aspect: He and Al are the 'real' Van Halen only because it's their last name, the doofus.

FUCKERS

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove

Eddie has/had a lot of fans. I'll admit that Sam drew some in, I suppose. The name VAN HALEN was (then) very marketable. And why? Not because of what Hagar had contributed, no. Because of what that band accomplished between 1978-1985. There'd been some big hits with Hagar, sure, but that doesn't mean that Hagar was the sole factor for them being hits. ANYONE could have joined Van Halen in 1985 to replace Roth and the next album would have went #1 and spawned umpteen hit singles. Hagar was the lucky guy. Look at McDonalds. They sell millions of Big Macs a day. Does that make it a 5 star meal?

Given the choice, I'll take Roth's 5 star VH course over Hagar's 99 cent double cheeseburger anyday and every time. I'm a DISCERNING eater when it comes to Van Halen meals.

Some people are just too cheap to care one way or the other, and those are the people I like to call "Sheep".

Matt White
09-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Right. They've almost been gone for 10 years. Who counts the VHII tour. 7,500 people a night. HUGE success!!!:lol:
EVH & SHEMP-DAVID LEE ROTH =Failure!!!!
"Learn it, Know it, LIVE it."
Case closed.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!