PDA

View Full Version : Gary trying to be Sam trying to be Dave

Leadsinger777
09-14-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm fairly new to these forums. Hope it's ok to post some thoughts.

I don't know if it seemed this way to anyone else, but to me when Sammy got in the band, he tried damn hard to act/sound like Dave singing. Either he wanted to sound like Dave, or the other guys in the band tried to make him sound like Dave - On the first album I mean - was it 5150?
Of course Sammy would never admit to listening to the Diamond one, but I am sure he must have liked the original VH. How could you not? I bet he was really jealous of Dave too.
Through the years Sammy found his own style, and like it or not created the sound of Van Hagar. The latter discs are definitely different than his first cd with them.

*My opinion -
If they wanted someone who sounded like Dave, they should have tried to get back the one and only Dave.

Well, after Sammy left (got booted) they picked up Gary, and if you listen to the songs that were played (briefly played) on the radio, they tried to make Gary sound like Sammy. But not like Sammy trying to sound like Dave. Like the "F.U.C.K. and Balance" Sammy. The Van Hagar sound... with Gary.

*My Opinion -
2 - If you wanted to get someone who sounded like Sammy I think Michael Bolton has a very similar voice and tone quality. Plus, who better for slow sappy ballads? I'm serious... I think Michael would have made a better replacement if that was the sound they were looking for.

VanBolton - haha...

Only one Van Halen to me - that was with Dave! David Lee Roth was Van Halen. David Lee Roth solo was the next best thing (if not better).

Carmine
09-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Van Bolton! ahhaha!

I always thought Van Manilow had a good ring to it
better yet, Van Zamfir !!!

Leadsinger777
09-14-2004, 04:52 PM
::scratching head::

You mean Zamfir the Pan Flute Player?

Didn't Sam play the Skin Flute?

hehheh

Big Troubles
09-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Leadsinger777

hehheh

that was fucking weird. Like looking in a mirror. Dude you're the first person Ive seen with the same avatar. Roth on! :D

Carmine
09-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Leadsinger777

hehheh

yeah, Zamfir the Pan Flute guy! mix in eddies tuba, sams skin flute and you got "10 albums worth of material!" LOL!

Leadsinger777
09-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
that was fucking weird. Like looking in a mirror. Dude you're the first person Ive seen with the same avatar. Roth on! :D

I like that mirror idea... just hope your better lookin' than I am or I feel sorry for yah bud.

Rock on... avatar double.