• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Johnny Ramone Dead At 55

Punk Legend Johnny Ramone Dies At 55

Johnny Ramone, guitarist and co-founder of the seminal punk band the Ramones, has died at the age of 55. Ramone died in his sleep Wednesday afternoon (Sept. 15) at his Los Angeles home surrounded by friends and family, his publicist said. He had battled prostate cancer for five years, and was hospitalized in June at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Ramone, born John Cummings, was one of the original members of the Ramones, whose no-nonsense, three-chord rock'n'roll influenced a generation of future bands. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Lead singer Joey Ramone (real name: Jeff Hyman) died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer. Bassist Dee Dee Ramone, who was born Douglas Colvin, died from a drug overdose in 2002.

Ramone was too ill to attend a tribute concert and cancer research fund-raiser held Sunday in Los Angeles to celebrate the band's 30th anniversary. It featured performances by Los Angeles punk band X, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Henry Rollins and Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder.

A similar event is on tap for Oct. 8 at New York's Spirit club, featuring the Strokes and Blondie.

Along with his wife, Linda Cummings, Ramone was surrounded at his death by Vedder and Rob and Sherrie Zombie. Other friends who gathered at his Los Angeles home included Lisa Marie Presley, Pete Yorn, Vincent Gallo and Talia Shire.

Ramone was said to have been working on his memoirs with Washington Times reporter Steve Miller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe it. That's three fucking original Ramones out of four dead within 3 1/2 years. This really sucks. I'll be digging out their first four albums tomorrow for the car.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Ramone Curse ??

RIP Johnny
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

One of the few Republicans I had any use for.......

Three of the Ramones are dead and still we are tormented by boyband shit on the radio.

RIP Johnny
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And you know, I'll bet Tommy is really nervous right about now.....
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• freak
          Sniper
          • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          And you know, I'll bet Tommy is really nervous right about now.....
          No kidding!

Comment

• WARF
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Sad news!

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by freak
              No kidding!
              I've been thinking the same thing...I told my g/f about it and she asked how many of the originals were left, I told her one...she said he must be shitting goose-eggs at this point...
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

Just one more

Comment

Working...