PDA

View Full Version : Would any of us have liked Sammy better

PHOENIX
09-16-2004, 08:36 PM
If Sammy had declined the offer to join Van Halen back in 1985 and had joined another band would you still hate him now?

Imagine if he had joined Journey instead or maybe Foreigner?

Or would you have felt the same because these are bands you like also?

lms2
09-16-2004, 08:38 PM
The only reason I even know of Spam is because of Van Halen. It is difficult for me to predict how I would feel about him if he had not fucked up the greatest rock and roll band that ever was.

But if you could just wave your magic wand, I would certainly be interested in finding out!

PHOENIX
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by lms2
The only reason I even know of Spam is because of Van Halen. It is difficult for me to predict how I would feel about him if he had not fucked up the greatest rock and roll band that ever was.

But if you could just wave your magic wand, I would certainly be interested in finding out!

Dude i think Sammy's a fag.

Waving my wand would just bring us to a time where metal ruled and Sammy was still a fag.:D

WARF
09-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Sammy Hagar has as much charisma, as a piece of paper.

lms2
09-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Ahh the good old days.

guwapo_rocker
09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by WARF

Toilet paper?:D

lms2
09-16-2004, 08:57 PM
If Spam were toilet paper, he still wouldn't be good enough to touch my ass. He would probably give me a rash.

PHOENIX
09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by WARF

Well that piece of paper has been recycled as the new lead singer.

:D

scorpioboy33
09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
mmmmm what a thought just went through my little brain

lms2
09-16-2004, 09:01 PM
about recycling paper? :angel:

PHOENIX
09-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
mmmmm what a thought just went through my little brain

What???

Was he replacing Dick Clark as host of American Bandstand?

lms2
09-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Oh c'mon Pheonix, would you rather tallk about Spam, or my ... umm.. recycled paper.

scorpioboy33
09-16-2004, 09:06 PM
not at all about paper of american bandstand

lms2
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
lol

PHOENIX
09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Oh c'mon Pheonix, would you rather tallk about Spam, or my ... umm.. recycled paper.

But if you think about it. Paper is very vulnerable to a Bic Lighter.

scorpioboy33
09-16-2004, 09:17 PM
no msn tonight lms :(

lms2
09-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Oh, sorry, I dont log on there without a very good reason. Hey Pheonix, I have a bic lighter, matter of fact, I will send you a case of them!

freak
09-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
If Sammy had declined the offer to join Van Halen back in 1985 and had joined another band would you still hate him now?

Imagine if he had joined Journey instead or maybe Foreigner?

Or would you have felt the same because these are bands you like also?

Journey with Hagar would be sappy love ballads without the benefit Steve Perry's killer voice. Neal Schon would be the only reason to even acknowledge such a band's existence.

Even DLR couldn't breath life into something as bland as Foreigner. Mention them not.

scorpioboy33
09-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Oh, sorry, I dont log on there without a very good reason. yikes okey dokey :P

lms2
09-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
yikes okey dokey :P

I sent you an e-mail...

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Actually, it might have been possible...however, I'd have rather seen Hagar doing something like HSAS or another superband if he was going to a band join.

freak
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Actually, it might have been possible...however, I'd have rather seen Hagar doing something like HSAS or another superband if he was going to a band join.

I'll hand Sammy Hagar this, he did a FANTASTIC job on "Whiter Shade Of Pale" (Neal Schon's guitar was killer as well)

I have to admit, HSAS was pretty good.

Terry
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Doubt many here would even have given Hagar a second thought had he not ended up in Van Halen, although some may have been more forgiving if he hadn't been such a lying sack of shit.

See, Roth's an asshole, but he's got talent, humor, intelligence and integrity. Those four qualities give him a reason to have a large ego.

Hagar just comes across as a talentless, humorless, dumbass tequila salesman. Trite lyrics combined with a one-note voice, zero charisma and (at best) second-rate, cliched rock frontman antics. A follower rather than an innovator.

Really no comparison between the two other than them being in the same band.

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:34 PM
No better way to put it. Hagar was given the keys to a Testarosa in 1985 and drove it like it was your mother's station wagon.

ELVIS
09-16-2004, 10:34 PM
No wonder I stay in the Frontline...

This thread is totally gay!

:elvis:

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Well, it is a discussion about Sammy Hagar, so it's gayness is really a no brainer :)

TwoFoolsAMinute
09-16-2004, 10:35 PM
I remember that at first hearing that Van Halen had released new music without DLR, I was unable to accept it. I had no idea who replaced Dave, and didn't care. I was a Dave fan. I couldn't imagine a Van Halen without him. I honestly didn't figure Van Halen would work again. I was young. Later on, as a friend was attempting to force feed me 5150 I read in the liner notes that Sammy Hagar was the vocalist. I was a fan of Sammy Hagar. Upon hearing this, I actually gave the Van Hagar a chance....not much of one....but a chance. It just fucking sucked. The guitar was chunky. The lyrics were light. Van Halen wasn't about talent, it was about attitude. I actually kinda got into some of Sam's solo stuff, and considered it superior to Van Hagar. Sam under his own rules sounds right for him. Sam with VH sounds like slop. So, I'll take Sammy and another band, as long as it's not a band I really care about or is legendary I'm sure there are some bands that would be improved by Sammy Hagar. But this Van Hagar experiment has gone on too fucking long. Van Hagar sucks. There's only one Van Halen.

freak
09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Terry
See, Roth's an asshole, but he's got talent, humor, intelligence and integrity. Those four qualities give him a reason to have a large ego.

Roth plays the part of over-the-top asshole to perfection. It is carefully orchestrated. He's taken it where it's an art form.

The man has said it himself. "carefully manufactured bad publicity"

When he plays the part, though, it's all tongue and cheek - It's like he's letting you in on an inside joke or something.

When Sammy tries this, he comes off as a clumsy oaf.

No comparison.

freak
09-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
No wonder I stay in the Frontline...

This thread is totally gay!

:elvis:

No shit. Look at the topic :D

Do you visit a thread that says "I just bought these darrrrrrling mauve curtains, CHuckiepoo", anticipating a discussion about small engine repair?

Geesh!

:D :D :D

Switch84
09-16-2004, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lms2
[B]The only reason I even know of Spam is because of Van Halen.

:rolleyes: Jesus, do you know anything? I'm no Hagar fan, either, but damn, I've heard some of Montrose's songs when Spam fronted that band! They weren't anything to write home about, though. My uncle's a fan, so that's another source I've heard Spam from.

No, it wouldn't make a bit of difference for me what band he fronted; he still sucks.

I'll NEVER forgive Journey for going ahead without Steve Perry!

bueno bob
09-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
I'll NEVER forgive Journey for going ahead without Steve Perry! [/B]

Journey's a toss. Actually, though, Deen Castronovo (my hometown hero, heh heh) has been singing lead on this tour and surprisingly he's almost a spot-on match for Perry. Makes me wonder what the next album might bring.

freak
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Journey's a toss. Actually, though, Deen Castronovo (my hometown hero, heh heh) has been singing lead on this tour and surprisingly he's almost a spot-on match for Perry. Makes me wonder what the next album might bring.

It ain't Journey without Steve Perry.
Really, it ain't Journey without Greg Rollie, either.

Matt White
09-16-2004, 11:59 PM
I would have appreciated Spammy for what he is: a B-level singer, who wrote the occasional minor hit. He isn't anything special, very workman like.
BUT, then he had to RUIN my favorite band. AND talk SHIT about an OBVIOUSLY BETTER and MORE TALENTED SINGER/FRONTMAN. And he NEVER DROPPED his "I hate DAVE" routine. DAVE is a ROCK AND ROLL TITAN, and Spammy is always gonna be remembered as "that other guy".

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

madraoul
09-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Van Halen and Sammy Hagar should never have been mentioned in the same breath. I don't know what corporate asshole thought of this satanic combination, but I'm sure it was the same guy that said Charles Bronson should be Snake Plissken.

bueno bob
09-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by madraoul
Van Halen and Sammy Hagar should never have been mentioned in the same breath. I don't know what corporate asshole thought of this satanic combination, but I'm sure it was the same guy that said Charles Bronson should be Snake Plissken.

It was Ed's car repairman, or detailer, or whatever that suggested it...he also apparently did Hagar's cars...I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need to find this dude and bum rush the son of a bitch DLR style :D

freak
09-17-2004, 01:09 AM
It was Ed's car repairman, or detailer, or whatever that suggested it...he also apparently did Hagar's cars...I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need to find this dude and bum rush the son of a bitch DLR style :D

Or, get him really shitfaced drunk and talk him into calling Eddie and suggesting Boy George as a replacement for Sammy.

bueno bob
09-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by freak
Or, get him really shitfaced drunk and talk him into calling Eddie and suggesting Boy George as a replacement for Sammy.

:D

Yeah, that'd be good for kicks, too!

"Do you really want to Jump me? Do you really want to make the Eagles Fly?"

Panamark
09-17-2004, 03:00 AM
I know I wouldnt have liked Sammy in another band. I find the dude totally annoying, his voice has the same effect on me as someone running their nails down a chalkboard..

Do you know how frustrating it is to get that feeling when you are trying
to listen to your former favourite guitarist ??

Matt White
09-17-2004, 11:35 AM
I guess the only real answer is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to like him ANY LESS!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Switch84
09-17-2004, 12:48 PM
:D Aww, shit that Boy George suggestion was hilarious, y'all!!!!

I like Boy's singing better than Spammy's.

light 'em up!
09-17-2004, 12:58 PM
I never liked Sammy before he joined VH and I haven't liked him since. He's "a mediocre entertainer at best" who flaunts his deal like it were the the real deal, which it ain't . Basically he sucks.

Terry
09-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by madraoul

Too funny

TwoFoolsAMinute
09-17-2004, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't mind if Sammy had joined Montrose as lead singer. Or maybe the Waboritas.

BIG GOOSE
09-19-2004, 10:55 PM
No way !!!
When he hooked up with Van Halen,it was the end of the fucking world.
I only knew of him vaguely (ICD55) and thought it and he sucked the big banana and couldn't believe the VH brothers picked him.I thought it would go to shit....I WAS RIGHT !!

:monekyl:SAMMY HAGAR:monekyr:

:blow:SHAM HALEN :elvis:

BIG GOOSE
09-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lms2
[B]I'll NEVER forgive Journey for going ahead without Steve Perry!

I've never forgiven Journey for existing. :eek: