• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Bonds joins Aaron, Ruth with 700 homers

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

September 17, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds hit his 700th home run Friday night, toppling another milestone and edging closer to Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron in his quest to become the greatest slugger in baseball history.

Bonds rewarded his fans in the opener of the San Francisco Giants' nine-game homestand with an opposite-field home to left center leading off the third inning. It came on an 0-1 pitch from Jake Peavy and gave the Giants a 4-0 lead over the San Diego Padres.

As Bonds rounded second base, the Giants launched streamers and a fireworks display from the scoreboard and light towers in center field. He pointed skyward as he crossed home plate, then took a curtain call to a joyous standing ovation.

The Giants also unveiled two enormous banners on the light towers: One featuring Bonds with `'700'' below him, and another featuring action shots of Ruth and Aaron and their corresponding totals.

Bonds' 42nd homer of the season is a mere steppingstone in the 40-year-old's march toward Ruth's once-unthinkable 714 and Aaron's 755. Bonds hasn't been slowed by age, steroid suspicions or the collective fear of pitchers and managers walking him with record frequency.

Bonds is the first player to reach 700 homers since Aaron on July 21, 1973. With good health and similar production, he could catch Ruth early next season -- and even have an outside shot at Hammerin' Hank next fall.

Aside from a slight chill in the air, the game featured nearly ideal conditions for Bonds' historic blast.

San Francisco is in a playoff chase largely thanks to Bonds' offensive production, increasing the importance of every homer. The slugger loves to face the Padres, who have allowed 79 of his homers -- 18 more than any other club.

Even the wind was cooperating, blowing out to right field at the Giants' waterfront ballpark. Amphibious fans began gathering well before the game, filling McCovey Cove with dozens of watercraft and ambitious swimmers.

Bonds has said he couldn't imagine ever surpassing Aaron as baseball's home run king. Aaron believes Bonds will pass him soon enough.

``I think it's just a matter of time -- maybe a year, two years,'' Aaron said. ``I think he will. I'll be happy. Everybody will be after him then. They won't be involving me. Records are made to be broken.''

Aaron endured racial epithets and death threats when he approached Ruth's record in the early 1970s. Bonds has endured speculation about his super-sized body and bulked-up power statistics that defy logic and age.

And he has done it all despite the managers and pitchers who are afraid to pitch to him.

Bonds has been walked a record 207 times this season, including a record 105 times intentionally.

Bonds needed more at-bats (9,063) than Ruth (8,169) but not as many as Aaron (11,145) to reach 700 homers. But neither Aaron (1,232) nor Ruth (1,999) had as many walks as Bonds' 2,276 when they hit their 700th home run.

After leaving San Francisco with 698 earlier in the month, Bonds hit just one homer on the Giants' eight-game road trip, which wrapped up Thursday in Milwaukee. Arizona manager Al Pedrique mostly refused to pitch to Bonds, though Bonds pulled within one of the milestone with a ninth-inning homer Sunday.

Bonds hit career homer No. 660 -- to tie godfather Willie Mays -- and No. 661 at home earlier this season, both against the Brewers. He also hit his 500th in San Francisco in 2001, and later that season broke Mark McGwire's season record by hitting Nos. 71-73 at home the final weekend of the season.

As hard as it has been for Bonds to get hittable pitches lately, he's more focused on the wild-card race, which the Giants led going into the weekend. Bonds always claims that his accomplishments will mean less to him later if he never wins a World Series ring.

The Giants fell six outs short in 2002, losing to Anaheim in seven games.

Bonds has been so busy dealing with questions about his pursuit of Ruth and Aaron, it's almost as if everybody has forgotten about the steroid scandal that surrounded him when this season began.

Bonds' personal trainer and longtime friend, Greg Anderson, is one of four men charged in an alleged steroid-distribution ring that federal prosecutors say supplied dozens of professional athletes with banned substances. They have pleaded not guilty.

During spring training, many fans wondered whether Bonds would start showing his age this season and whether the scandal would weigh on his broad shoulders.

If anything, it made him more focused. He's putting up numbers worthy of a seventh MVP award. But what he really wants more than accolades for his power prowess is another shot at that elusive ring that would mean the world to him.
  • jcook11
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

Congrats Barry I dont' hate you like every one else.GOOD JOB YOUNG MAN!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Let the bashing begin..........

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Barry Lamar Bonds 700! Congrats, thanks for all the great memories.........I was there for 500, and 660 BTW.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Ya know, about 5% of my opinion on Bonds is actually happy for him, 'cause he started his career in the 'Burgh....

A good chunk of my opinion is biased on the fact that the guy is a complete asshole, towards his teammates, the fans, and everyone around him....

I guess, in summary, is that while I think 700 HR's is a helluva accomplishment, I'm going to reserve judgement on his career until we get to the bottom of the BALCO investigation.... Personally, I HAVE to know what happened until I deem him the greatest player of all time....

Isn't it strange that BALCO has sorta hit the back burner ??
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

C'mon...nothing's going to come out of Balco...nothing...

Bonds has nothing to worry about...

so make your judgements based on what's out there...

If Bonds isn't the greatest of all-time when it's all said and done...

I'd like to know who is...

here's what he can do...minus the power (for all the roid folk)...

1. Hit...period...always could...power or not...he'd still be batting .350...

2. Run...period...not so much now because of his size (still does alright though)...but the guy was one of those "five-tool" guys for most of his career...

3. There was a time when he could field...not great...never a great arm...but his speed made up for a lot of that...lately...a bum...but the guy is old...

Without the power...a sure hall-of-famer...

with the power...perhaps...the greatest of all time...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I kind of look at it like Ty Cobb.

All time asshole and an all time great.

Regardless, you still have to hit that little baseball coming at you at 90+. The hardest thing to do in sports.

3 out of 10 as a QB, you suck.
              3 out of 10 as an NBA player, you suck.
              3 out of 10 at the plate, you're a hitter.

Bonds will be setting the bar very high by the time he's done. Hell, he has the stolen bases to go along with his hitting.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

That's something that's overlooked a ton...the sb piece...

and the walks...

and the fact that he hits nearly every pitch that's hittable...

because he has too...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

That recent road trip to Arizona, they walked him with the bases emtpy and the score 3-0 because the manager didn't want Bonds hitting ANY milestone homers there.

200 + walks and 105 intentional.

Would have never thought there would be a hitter feared like that during my lifetime anyway.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

and that...in and of itself is where BALCO comes in...

now yes...Barry...more than likely...would be hitting those pitches no matter what...

but would he be feared if he didn't hit as many dingers as he does...

well...no...of course not...

and let's face it...if Bonds was pitched too...

he'd hit 100 dingers....or push the envelope...

So he's destroyed...if Balco throws out his name...and confirms...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I've NEVER seen a guy get walked with the bases juiced...and it happens to Bonds every year...

Comment

• Lou

I don't care what anyone says, Babe Ruth will still be the best. Because he was a fine pitcher as well as the greatest hitter. There is no one else who was both a pitcher as well as a hitter.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Would be a huge black mark, no matter the circumstance.

Baseball doesn't need that either.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Lou
                            I don't care what anyone says, Babe Ruth will still be the best. Because he was a fine pitcher as well as the greatest hitter. There is no one else who was both a pitcher as well as a hitter.

McGwire actually was USC's best pitcher when he was there...

He was a fantastic pitcher...

but...how long has it been since players have been promoted to do both?

How many OF's pitched in the minors...or in college...but the scouts say..."he's doing this...or that..."

Winfield is a prime example...he could pitch and hit...very well...

McGwire...

and many...many...others...

Ruth was in the right era...for that to happen...

but to say he was the greatest player of all time because he could pitch and hit just isn't taking into account the simple fact that there hasn't been a player that's been "allowed" to do both in 70 years...or more...

Rick Ankiel...for the Cardinals may be a prime example...

here's a guy who has a great arm (which is coming around again)...and can hit a ton...

but they won't let him hit...be a position player...because of his 100 MPH pitching (wild as fuck)...his gift...

Comment

• Bob_R
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Bonds hit his 700th homer on his 9,066th at bat. Ruth did it in 8,169 ABs, Aaron 11,145 ABs FYI.
                              Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...