X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

"Diamond Dave" sales

David Lee Roth "Diamond Dave" 10,470 units sold as of September 2003.

Does anybody have a more updated # of units sold?

Also, why wasn't this album released under the wawazat!! label? Or was DLR Band the only album that will ever have that name on it?

DLR Band moved about 125,000, and this album hasn't done 1/10 of that. I'm sure Dave recognizes this and will hopefully put a rocker out for his next album.

DLR7884
    This Vegas rumor scares me, he's gonna become a punchline all over again!
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.
  • Lou

As of December 1, 2003 it was up to a whopping 12,196, roughly 1,700 more sales than 2½ months prior. Now in its first month, according to this site, it sold 6,824. So it hadn't even sold as much from August-December as it did in all of July. It was not included in the most recent Sludge Scan of January 13, 2004, BTW.

Back in July 2003 I told everyone at Vaughn's site that the album would come nowhere near 50,000 copies sold within the first year of release, that it would "struggle" to get to even 25,000, and that as of July 18, 2003 (10 days after release) it likely hadn't sold 10,000 copies. Obviously I was right on all three of those, in fact it took until fucking September to finally move 10,000 copies.

If you do the math it should be obvious that the rate of sales is steadily decreasing. Essentially everyone who was gonna buy it has bought it by now. Not only will it obviously not sell 25,000 copies by July 8, 2004, but I'm pretty convinced it won't sell 25,000 copies PERIOD before it gets discontinued like ALAE and YFLM (superior albums to this joke of an album BTW).

Comment

• DLR7884
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Lou, I completely agree with everything you just said. I'll bet you over half of the people who own that album are people who at one point or another have posted to this website in the past 4 years.

I waited until September to buy the album after I read the shitty write up it got in Entertainment Weekly.

I actually wish the album wasn't an official release, that's the type of shit Dave should release to his website, and only his website. Only his real fans would actually get, or try to get what the hell he was doing.

DLR7884
      I think I'm gonna go to RIAA and pull up all of his album sales, because I think we can see a trend with his solo albums.
      DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Lou

Yeah and the truly sad thing is if he does release a rocker who the hell will care but us? I'd love another rocker, but even if it were great I doubt it'd do much better than Diamond Dave.

And yes there is definitely a trend going on...no one really cares about DLR solo anymore. I suppose you could make the argument that Diamond Dave was thus destined to sell less copies than DLR Band, and that's probably true. But Dave, throwing together a hodgepodge of covers with no direction or identity to it, unable to secure anything but some obscure shit label, exacerbated the decline. He also waited too long with it. If that were me I would have released that fucking thing IMMEDIATELY after the Dave/Sam tour while mild interest was drummed up again in David Lee Roth. By waiting, people already forgot about him again like they did in the '90s, before and after the VH fiasco.

Bad moves Dave Now if you ever put out another solid rocker no one's gonna care.

Comment

• DLR7884
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Except us.

DLR7884
          Honestly, Dave could tape himself farting into a mike and half the people on these boards would buy it.

Comment

• flappo
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

..so that's at least 50 sales for the next album sorted then !

Comment

• Chris Lee

Really Dave farted in a mike? How much? Oh I get it...Damn I was kinda hoping for some new material.
              When are his album sales gonna be posted, Does anyone know? Personaly, I think even Dave thought he'd be back in VH by now, and Diamond Dave on Magna Carta was just a filler or hobby in the meantime. But now it looks like he will need to pull up the socks on the next album, publicise himself big time to drum up the sales ans put out a good tour. Does anyone know how well he is received in Japan or UK? Like here he is doing Vegas clubs and bars (and thats cool with me) but it must be a downer not filling areans anymore.

Comment

• DLR7884
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Doing Vegas won't do much for DLR's image.

He will be mocked for it like he was before.

DLR7884
                I hope he isn't really gonna do it again!

Comment

• TMR

It really doesn't matter on how many units he's selling, he's making money off the tour and having a great time.

I think this Diamond Dave record is great, of course I would like a killer rocker cd with songs like THUG POP...

Maybe the next cd will have a killer song list, when Dave made CFTH back in 1985 and I heard Coconut Grove I thought wow, he's changing his style then the next year EEAS was released!!

At least our favorite rocker is on tour!

Comment

• Elitest

Originally posted by DLR7884
                    Except us.

DLR7884
                    Honestly, Dave could tape himself farting into a mike and half the people on these boards would buy it.

Comment

• Chris Lee

Yeah but you know, Dave is a hard rock n roll worker who plays just as hard and all he gets is flack from the industry that should be adoring him and setting the trend for frontmen for years to come. Id really like to see Dave play the fuck out of Vegas and set the music industry on its ass one more time. Make the VH boys look like fucking idiots for not taking him back! (again) Fairy Cherone and Spammy Fagar were mistakes as far as good rock n roll is concerned-
                      But it looks like its going to be the opposite. He might be the butt end of everyones jokes again when Van Hagar annouce their reunion and all Dave is doing is "Bop-Shoo-Bopping" with Celine Dion and Wayne Newton. Just a shame. I'll love ya Dave no matter what! Fuck the critics.

Comment

• DLR7884
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I doubt that Dave doing Vegas will have any impact on people's idea of him fronting Van Halen.

I don't think it will make the Van Halen's look like idiots either.

DLR7884
                        Here's hoping Dave avoids Vegas.

Comment

• Hoongood
                          Roadie
                          • Jan 2004

I bought this CD the week it came out, and I tried to like it. I really tried. But no amount of love for Dave could make this album any good.
                          "That Beatles Tune" absolutely has to be the worst thing ever put on record by anyone associated with VH!
                          Hagar makes better music than this!
                          Ouch! That hurts!

There are a few tracks on the CD that are not bad in a YFLM sort of way, but overall, a huge disapointment.
                          Yeah right she says, maybe in your dreams!

Comment

• DLR7884
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

It's a piece of shit.

DLR7884
                            In a VH3 sort of way.

Comment

• lesfunk
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hoongood

Hagar makes better music than this!

no he doesn't
                              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

Working...