PDA

View Full Version : Sammy fan thinking about converting:

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 04:41 AM
I started listening to Van Halen durring the Sammy years, and I even went to the current tour which was great.... I love Van Hagar, but I've just realized that there was something special about Van Halen with Diamond Dave.... If infact Van Halen are working on a final tour, I hope it's with Dave.... Give the fans what they have wanted for almost 20 years.... Dave, Eddie, Mike, Alex.

Shaun

Panamark
09-20-2004, 05:06 AM
There is some encouraging signs for your recovery, my friend ! :D

Panamark
09-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Make sure you listen to the first six albums, *know* where it all came
from.
You will find Van Hagar is quite average after your true moment of
Van Halen realization.. Good luck Mate !!! I think you can do it !!

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 05:10 AM
Well ya know, I listened to the last couple tracks from 1984, and then listened to the new songs from Best Of Volume 1.... I asked myself what VH would sound like today if Roth had never left.... The main thing I like about the Sammy years are the ballads, it's something that I don't think Dave would have really gotten into.... But if he had, I'm sure they would have kicked ass.

Shaun

Panamark
09-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Uh oh...

Secrets is about as Ballady as we get :)

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 05:17 AM
Well yeah, but "I'll Wait" was pretty close too.... It's one of my favorites from 1984.... They were a great band, and it's crazy to see all the guitar players who are shelling out phat cash to try to get a guitar that looks like Eddie's.... I thought the Wolfgangs were expensive, but the new ones are frickin out there!!!!

RogueHorseman
09-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
I like about the Sammy years are the ballads, it's something that I don't think Dave would have really gotten into.... But if he had, I'm sure they would have kicked ass.

Shaun

Check out "Damn Good" on Skyscraper... "Coconut Grove" on Crazy From The Heat... "Sunburn" on Your Filthy Little Mouth.... etc., etc., etc.

Daves lighter side is in a much more serious vein than the cheese Sammy serves up. As a straight ahead rocker, obviously there is no comparison. And, his mid-tempo stuff is so varied, from blues to big band to straight pop to thug pop. Sam is no where close to the same league as an overall artist.

Check out Daves solo work, you'll be mighty impressed.

lms2
09-20-2004, 09:13 AM
If the process is started, there is no use fighting it. Dave has you in his grasp, you won't break free. Just enjoy.

(and don't discuss the merits of Spam v. Dave here...certain individuals might sour you)

But do give a look and a listen to what all of these knowledgable Roth Army members can tell you about the war since the big split and it will help you understand the hatred.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY...

Oh Yeah, and glad to have you in the army. Hope we see more of you as you progress on your road to recovery.

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys, I don't know what took me so long to come around but I'm on my way.... I think I can honestly say that Diamond Dave IS Van Halen!

Shaun

Lou
09-20-2004, 01:08 PM
I used to like Van Hagar myself, as in I thought it was good music. Not great but good. It's only a matter of time before it's not simply "Oh yeah Dave is better," but rather, "God Van Hagar SUCKS!" All those ballads that sound superficially pleasant to the ears really become shitty.

Hell I used to think alternative rock was as good as it got and I balked at classic rock and roll...you grow out of it and your tastes mature.

frankensteinaxe
09-20-2004, 01:14 PM
u bet ure ass van halen was special with diamond dave!

Harpua
09-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Add Black Sand to the list of great DLR songs on the lighter side. Love that tune.

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
One of my favorite Dave songs would have to be "Tell The Truth".... I liked that as soon as I heard it. I wish he would come out with a new original album that could kick radio in the ass! I know he will never change his style to suit modern trends like the 3 new tunes on BOBW.... I mean, what the hell was Eddie smoking when he wrote those songs?

Shaun

RogueHorseman
09-20-2004, 03:48 PM
One of my favorite Dave songs would have to be "Tell The Truth".... I liked that as soon as I heard it. I wish he would come out with a new original album that could kick radio in the ass! I know he will never change his style to suit modern trends like the 3 new tunes on BOBW.... I mean, what the hell was Eddie smoking when he wrote those songs?

Shaun

"Sensible Shoes" from the same disc is fantastic as well and has brought more than a few ears around to his wide-ranging talents.

RogueHorseman
09-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, I don't know what took me so long to come around but I'm on my way.... I think I can honestly say that Diamond Dave IS Van Halen!

Shaun

That is worthy of today's Tip Of The Ten Gallon Hat<sup>TM</sup> my friend, and a 5 star vote to boot.

Welcome to the Army.

Nitro Express
09-20-2004, 07:54 PM
I remember watching Live Without a Net and thinking that Sammy looked like such a dork. Sammy has always looked dorky but he worked for awhile in Van Halen because his voice held up pretty well with that bands high powered music. I mean I like songs like Summer Nights, Poundcake, Judgement Day. Sammy can pull those off but so many of the songs were sappy and sickening. Plus Sammy is shallow and boring. Much like a kiss ass salesman.

David Lee Roth on the other hand blew me away the first time I saw what that guy could do. Nobody was that high energy or limber on stage unless they were an acrobat. Roth was also witty and funny. David Lee Roth is an interesting character and he's never boring when he's the special guest. You gotta love Dave. Being the frontman is one thing but Dave as a person is more facinating than what he does on stage actually. I hope he writes another book.

sambo
09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
kcmusician: Congratulations on your recovery, you are in good hands here - some of the finest doctors around :D

Welcome back from the dark side... it only gets better from here

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the vote RogueHorseman, that's cool of ya. I remember Live Without A Net myself.... Infact, it just came out dvd or something.... Damn, I feel old! lol.

Shaun

scottydabodi
09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Mmm... It sounds good to me that a VanHagar fan is seeing the light. Just remember that Van Halen is the kind of music that pisses off your neighbors, makes you drink too much, bang too many hot chicks, scares your parents until they shit in their pants, keeps your local police force active chasing you down as you careen wildly around the town in a convertable Mustang blasting "Hot for Teacher" with 5 killer babes screaming in the backseat, and a trunk full of beer en route STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!!!! It's the kind of music your parents always warned you about. Listening to Van Halen with Dave has taken 10 years off my life, and FUCK anyone who doesn't like it!!!! ROCK THE WORLD, BABY!!! HELL YEAH!!!

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by frankensteinaxe
u bet ure ass van halen was special with diamond dave!

:rockit2: :rockit2: :rockit2:

diamondsgirl
09-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Listen to the first six and call me in the morning...;)

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

David Lee Roth on the other hand blew me away the first time I saw what that guy could do. Nobody was that high energy or limber on stage unless they were an acrobat. Roth was also witty and funny. David Lee Roth is an interesting character and he's never boring when he's the special guest. You gotta love Dave. Being the frontman is one thing but Dave as a person is more facinating than what he does on stage actually. I hope he writes another book.

I've always believed that Dave was the last great frontman.The first live VH I've ever seen was downloading "Unchained","Hot For Teacher","Bottoms Up" from this site.You guys made an old fella very happy and angry at the same time because when I was in high school we waited every year(in vain as history shows) for VH to tour Australia and the rumour even back then was the VH brothers didn't want to travel that far and 1984 was a huge album here.I remember thinking 1985 was going to be the year:o but it wasn't to be.When VCherone toured in 1998 I thought for a split second I might go but couldn't after those cunts cheated me out of seeing VH(I hated Extreme in particular that pillowbiter).I figured back them that VH3 must have tanked hard in the states if they were coming here and reading this site shows I thought right.I've always felt that VH died in 1985 and I have never changed my mind on this.

[VAN HALEN IS EVH,AVH,MA and......DAVID LEE ROTH

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES :donkey:

sambo
09-21-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
[B] I've always believed that Dave was the last great frontman.The first live VH I've ever seen was downloading "Unchained","Hot For Teacher","Bottoms Up" from this site.You guys made an old fella very happy and angry at the same time because when I was in high school we waited every year(in vain as history shows) for VH to tour Australia and the rumour even back then was the VH brothers didn't want to travel that far and 1984 was a huge album here.I remember thinking 1985 was going to be the year:o but it wasn't to be.When VCherone toured in 1998 I thought for a split second I might go but couldn't after those cunts cheated me out of seeing VH(I hated Extreme in particular that pillowbiter).I figured back them that VH3 must have tanked hard in the states if they were coming here and reading this site shows I thought right.I've always felt that VH died in 1985 and I have never changed my mind on this.

I agree, us folk Down Under have been a little ripped off. Economically, the real VH didn't really have to tour down here and by the time they did it was far too late, and pretty disappointing..

At least we were fortunate to see the Skyscraper tour.. by then Spam Hagar were releasing some overprocessed bile called OU81spew..

Welcome to the Army Big Goose, good to have another Aussie aboard.

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome,mate.
I literally stopped listening to Van Halen after 1986 after the awful "Dreams".Those bastards don't know what they missed out on not touring here I can tell you.When I saw that live clip of "Hot For Teacher" when DLR says the crowd make more noise than the U.S.,he would have been deafened in Oz I can tell you,a VH 1984 Australian tour would have gone down in VH legend for performance/crowd participation if it had happened,you know how Aussies have always liked their hard rock,DLR would have been in his abso-fucking-lute element with all the mad bastards that would have went .Sydney would have went apeshit and Melbourne even more so(Australia's best music city since the 60s)

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
Listen to the first six and call me in the morning...;)

I think you mean THE six.
I dunno any others myself.:killer:

sambo
09-21-2004, 02:44 AM
No worries..I'm Sydney born and bred, moved to Melbourne 15 months ago for work.. absolutely love it down here for live music and I never go hungry or, more importantly, thirsty. ;)

Going to see InHalen next week at my local with a GnR tribute band, apparently the InHalen drummer is the money - the guys on here said he played with The Atomic Punks in the USA who are revered as THE best VH band out there..

I'll just go to the bar if InHalen play Spam songs..

Roth on.

Panamark
09-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Welcome Big Goose !!

(As a Sydney man now) I agree that Melbourne is the musical
capital of Australia. Ive seen big concerts in both cities, and
theres just something about Melbourne crowds.
They had a heaps healthier live music scene in the later 80's
when metal was peaking too...
Sydney has to blow up the pokies !!!! (Poker machines)

Panamark
09-21-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Uh oh...

Sorry dudes, I thought KC was talking halen only.....
But you all bought in the DLR solo stuff.. COOL ! :)

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 05:51 AM
Welcome Big Goose !!

(As a Sydney man now) I agree that Melbourne is the musical
capital of Australia. Ive seen big concerts in both cities, and
theres just something about Melbourne crowds.
They had a heaps healthier live music scene in the later 80's
when metal was peaking too...
Sydney has to blow up the pokies !!!! (Poker machines)

Thanks Panamark.
I've been a fan of Oz music history that goes back to the mid 60s. If you wanted to make it big you went to Melbourne,the live scene down there historically has always been the best,the audiences the best.

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by sambo

Roth on.

If they play any Sham Halen,you'll probably need a toilet break.Personally I find hearing the intro to "Dreams" keeps me regular better than any fibre product.

bueno bob
09-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I started listening to Van Halen durring the Sammy years, and I even went to the current tour which was great.... I love Van Hagar, but I've just realized that there was something special about Van Halen with Diamond Dave.... If infact Van Halen are working on a final tour, I hope it's with Dave.... Give the fans what they have wanted for almost 20 years.... Dave, Eddie, Mike, Alex.

Shaun

THE POWER OF ROTH COMPELLS YOU!

THE POWER OF ROTH COMPELLS YOU!

Bad Muthafucker
09-21-2004, 12:41 PM

Shaun

there is hope for you! listen to the first six albums. then, pick up a copy of the DLR band album. you will NOT be disappointed, and those seven records will make you a believer!!

Hecubus
09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Dude,

Listen to albums 1-6 for a couple of weeks without listening to ANY Van Hagar whatsoever.

Ater that listen to 5150, OU812, etc & decide for yourself. Let the music do the talking....

These guys will win the war...

Halen High
09-22-2004, 03:07 AM
No worries..I'm Sydney born and bred, moved to Melbourne 15 months ago for work.. absolutely love it down here for live music and I never go hungry or, more importantly, thirsty. ;)

Going to see InHalen next week at my local with a GnR tribute band, apparently the InHalen drummer is the money - the guys on here said he played with The Atomic Punks in the USA who are revered as THE best VH band out there..

Roth on.

Hey Sambo!

Your going to see InHalen? Who the fuck are these guys? I'd love to check them out. Hopefully they don't do any, or much Van Hagar. I've never heard of them. I'm not aware of any VH cover bands over here, but I don't look that much these days either. And they're playing with a GnR tribute band too. Sounds killer!

Halen High
09-22-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Harpua
Add Black Sand to the list of great DLR songs on the lighter side. Love that tune.

Agreed!

sambo
09-22-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
Hey Sambo!

Your going to see InHalen? Who the fuck are these guys? I'd love to check them out. Hopefully they don't do any, or much Van Hagar. I've never heard of them. I'm not aware of any VH cover bands over here, but I don't look that much these days either. And they're playing with a GnR tribute band too. Sounds killer!

Hey mate! What's happening?

www.inhalen.com (now a broken link). Sydney based tribute band playing Roth era songs only. The guys on here told me the drummer played a song or 2-3 with The Punks in the US and he was pretty damn good. I have not seen them yet.

Next Friday Oct. 1st, should be great... and only 5 mins from home. :D

Panamark
09-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Well their link is about as functional as the real band,

*SO*

Count me in !!

When are they next playing in Sydney ????

Does anyone know ??

Halen High
09-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey mate! What's happening?

www.inhalen.com (now a broken link). Sydney based tribute band playing Roth era songs only. The guys on here told me the drummer played a song or 2-3 with The Punks in the US and he was pretty damn good. I have not seen them yet.

Next Friday Oct. 1st, should be great... and only 5 mins from home. :D

'Roth era songs only'

Fucking awesome!

As they are Sydney based, I'm sure Panamark will be able to check them out. Oh, would you mind telling them to get the fuck over here!!!

Need some cheering up. On top of the never-ending Van Hagar tour, fucking Port Adelaide made the Grand Final. Most of South Oz is pissed off.

Look forward to a report on the gig!

Halen High
09-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Well their link is about as functional as the real band,

*SO*

Count me in !!

When are they next playing in Sydney ????

Does anyone know ??

We definately need to know more about these guys. If they won't come over here, I'd be tempted to get over to Sydney or Melbourne for a weekend getaway and check them out.

Halen High
09-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
If they play any Sham Halen,you'll probably need a toilet break.Personally I find hearing the intro to "Dreams" keeps me regular better than any fibre product.

Welcome fellow Aussie!

Clearly you're gonna fit in around here just fine!

sambo
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
We definately need to know more about these guys. If they won't come over here, I'd be tempted to get over to Sydney or Melbourne for a weekend getaway and check them out.

I am having a hard time finding anything on the 'net. Will post when I do..

WARF
09-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Uh oh...

Don't forget, "I'll Wait" and " When Push Comes To Shove".

I'll Wait being the power ballad of the two.

BIG GOOSE
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Welcome fellow Aussie!

Clearly you're gonna fit in around here just fine!

Thanks mate:cool:
I must be one of the few on this forum that have NEVER actually listened to any Sham Halen after "Dreams".I honestly have lived in a timewarp re:Van Halen since 1984.:D

BARE BONE
09-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Sammy fan thinking about converting. What's there to think about?