PDA

View Full Version : Roth the musician

Snow Ho
09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
i just read a thread over at an undisclosed location once again bashing dlr saying he was only a 'rock star'. well no shit-van halen USED to be a *rock* band. but the show was only a part of it.
with such a vast difference between van HALEN and van hagar, its obvious dlr had so much to do with the arranging and attitude of that classic sound. i know this is a no brainer here at the army.

but of all things evh has done, i'm angriest at his belittling of dlr's contribution to the music and i'm just sick of reading sheep quoting evh interviews. maybe he's just pissed that roth is good at more than ONE thing.

ok i'm done venting carry on..

Hecubus
09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Dude, this shit shouldn't suprise you from where it was read....it's obviously Hagar heavy over there.....

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Well Van Halen and Van Hagar are two totally different sounding bands.... I mean, even the backing vocals are different and they are sung by the same two people that have always done them.... Van Halen was more of a raw in your face type of band, and Van Hagar is more of a polished glossed over sounding kind of band.... It's obvious that Dave was a big part of the classic sound, just look how it changed when Sammy came on board.... The same thing happened when Cherone filled in for an album.... I guess when you change the singer in a band like that, a big part of the sound changes with it.

Shaun

Snow Ho
09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Hecubus
Dude, this shit shouldn't suprise you from where it was read....it's obviously Hagar heavy over there.....

its still a lame argument tho i don't need to tell you that. thats why i like it here. :)

Snow Ho
09-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by kcmusician
The same thing happened when Cherone filled in for an album.... I guess when you change the singer in a band like that, a big part of the sound changes with it.

Shaun

i really didn't hear all that big of change. cherone sounded the same as sammy to me.

i dig mr. roth on the harmonica too! :cool:

RogueHorseman
09-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kcmusician
...I mean, even the backing vocals are different and they are sung by the same two people that have always done them....

Ahhhh, but it isn't true. Once Dave left they started bringing in (undisclosed on the cd's) numerious session guys, like what's his name from Toto to "sweeten" the background and overall vocals.

They went from a true 4 man unit led by Dave, to a corporate entity which used every studio trick in the book.