PDA

View Full Version : So here's an interesting question:

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but here goes.... Would the response be different if Van Halen would have changed the band name after Dave left? I know they had thought about it. At that point in time, I don't think it would have really hurt them with a fan base as much as the 3 singer deal has today. Just a thought, unfortantly we can't go back and see I guess.

Shaun

lms2
09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
IMO yes. That would have shown respect for all Dave was too and did for that band. But they didn't. By continuing on as though nothing changed, they implied that Dave could be replaced.

The name should have been changed, as they became a complete different band. It is like getting remarried following a divorce, but continuing to go by your former husbands name... WHY?

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Well I can't say that I disagree with you....

lms2
09-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Thats good. Most people find it gets them nowhere...

But you are welcome to express a difference of opinion, although, not me, but some people may take exception to it.

Out with it KC. Whats your opinion?

kcmusician
09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Well my opinion would be this. I grew up with Van Hagar mostly, and have listened to them for years.... BUT looking back, I think it would have been easier for classic VH fans to take and maybe even accept if they would have gone out under a different name when they got together with Sammy.... And I think that what respect Van Halen had with Sammy was totally lost when they decided to put Gary Cherone in the band. I say that if infact VH are planning a farewell tour, they need to go out with the same guy that made them who they are. Diamond Dave, baby!

Shaun

RogueHorseman
09-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by kcmusician
I think it would have been easier for classic VH fans to take and maybe even accept if they would have gone out under a different name when they got together with Sammy.... And I think that what respect Van Halen had with Sammy was totally lost when they decided to put Gary Cherone in the band.

As much as I dislike giving any props to Sam, he in fact pushed hard for a name change when first joining.

So did Warner Brothers.

Apparently ALEX was the one who convinced brother Eddie that they alone WERE Van Halen with anybody and everybody else interchangable.

DLR_EngineRoom
09-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kcmusician
I'm sure this has been asked before, but here goes.... Would the response be different if Van Halen would have changed the band name after Dave left? I know they had thought about it. At that point in time, I don't think it would have really hurt them with a fan base as much as the 3 singer deal has today. Just a thought, unfortantly we can't go back and see I guess.

Shaun

I think this best answers that question:

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
As much as I dislike giving any props to Sam, he in fact pushed hard for a name change when first joining.

So did Warner Brothers.

Apparently ALEX was the one who convinced brother Eddie that they alone WERE Van Halen with anybody and everybody else interchangable.

But what happened is, Alex convinced Eddie, they kept the name. Mikey followed, nodded his head, and said nothing. Sammy wanted them to change the name for his own ego, but when he saw that the VH Bros. have decided, he became another yes man, and this in turn, was the first bonding between Mikey and Sammy 'cuz they had something in common, both are bend-over yes 'men' for the VH Bros., something that Dave ALWAYS refused to do. And Sammy continued to 'justify' (read: kiss Ed & Al's asses) by slamming Dave every chance he could get.

Oh and by the way.....Van Hagar STILL SUCKS.....

lms2
09-20-2004, 06:32 PM
So, I guess to sum it up...

DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN.

Got Roth?

Warham
09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by lms2
IMO yes. That would have shown respect for all Dave was too and did for that band. But they didn't. By continuing on as though nothing changed, they implied that Dave could be replaced.

The name should have been changed, as they became a complete different band. It is like getting remarried following a divorce, but continuing to go by your former husbands name... WHY?

My ex-wife still goes by my last name, instead of going back to her maiden name.

lms2
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
But has she remarried?

Thetruthbaby
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Yes they should have changed the name but one important thing to realize is that most DLR/VH fans gave VHagar a chance. There is a misconception that as DLR/VH fans we didn't give VHagar a chance which is (in my opinion) largely untrue. Personally I bought 5150 and was excited at the time to hear it. I thought WCTBLove was just an attempt to get crossover appeal and sell the album. Once I heard the album in full I knew they were in trouble. If you had been there when VH ruled the rock universe with DLR and then tried to stomach 5150 you would understand. Hell I even went to see the 5150 tour thinking that they would play a substantial amount of old stuff and play only the heavy tracks from 5150. Again once I saw what they were doing that was the end. OU812 only reinforced my decision to leave the fold. It was an even worse abomination than 5150. I watched as VH gained a more pop audience and (overall) lost fans from their peak of 1984. Aside from numbers though it was the music and the live performance that made it an easy decision to walk away as a fan. The icing on the cake was seeing DLR on EEASmile and watching his band completely blow VHagar off the stage (by comparison). Yes they should have changed the name, but that is not why I (and many others) left.

guwapo_rocker
09-20-2004, 06:42 PM

lms2
09-20-2004, 06:43 PM
there you are.... hey baby

Warham
09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
But has she remarried?

No, but she still might go by my last name. LMAO!

guwapo_rocker
09-20-2004, 06:45 PM
there you are.... hey baby

Hi, how goes things?:D

lms2
09-20-2004, 06:45 PM
is it because of the children?

lms2
09-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Hi, how goes things?:D

Better now. I didn't see you answered me and I thought I missed you again. I do miss you.

How was your day?

guwapo_rocker
09-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Very very busy doing this.....

lms2
09-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Too much Stella?

guwapo_rocker
09-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Could use one right now.

Terry
09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Ed and Co. should have changed the name after Dave left.

Of course, that would have required fortitude and confidence on Van Hagar's part.

About the only band that gets a pass from me as far as this issue is concerned is AC/DC.

The Who, KISS, the Rolling Stones, Lynard Skynard, Metallica and countless other bands have displayed no backbone or guts when it comes to losing what amounts to a brand name.

Sure, anyone with half a brain realizes that the aforementioned bands are no longer comprised of the original/classic lineups, so it's not like any of them are trying to pull a fast one.

Just has to do with integrity and respect on the part of whatever members have decided to carry on regarding what came before them. And a lack of pretense and ego in terms of members of a group who elect to continue after someone leaves, and how important they believe they were in the original lineup.

About the only group that got this right was Led Zeppelin.

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
Yes they should have changed the name but one important thing to realize is that most DLR/VH fans gave VHagar a chance. There is a misconception that as DLR/VH fans we didn't give VHagar a chance which is (in my opinion) largely untrue. Personally I bought 5150 and was excited at the time to hear it. I thought WCTBLove was just an attempt to get crossover appeal and sell the album. Once I heard the album in full I knew they were in trouble. If you had been there when VH ruled the rock universe with DLR and then tried to stomach 5150 you would understand. Hell I even went to see the 5150 tour thinking that they would play a substantial amount of old stuff and play only the heavy tracks from 5150. Again once I saw what they were doing that was the end. OU812 only reinforced my decision to leave the fold. It was an even worse abomination than 5150. I watched as VH gained a more pop audience and (overall) lost fans from their peak of 1984. Aside from numbers though it was the music and the live performance that made it an easy decision to walk away as a fan. The icing on the cake was seeing DLR on EEASmile and watching his band completely blow VHagar off the stage (by comparison). Yes they should have changed the name, but that is not why I (and many others) left.

Fuck,I knew they were in trouble when I first heard "Dreams".I to this day have never heard any VHagar album.I heard clips of songs in the Sammy and Dave doc. and realised I'd missed nothing at all in the last 20 years.Last year I was feeling nostalgic and had a choice of buying either 5150 or EEAS,only knowing the hit singles from either.I thought nearly 20 yrs have passed and now I could listen to 5150 w/o a problem....WRONG.To this day I can't bring myself to listen to VHagar so I bought EEAS and am happier for it.

As one of the guys says.....IT'S DAVE OR THE GRAVE:killer:

Matt White
09-21-2004, 12:14 AM
I'll tell you how I could have had some respect for those three COCKSUCKERS.....If they'd been in a plane that crashed in a fireball in 1985!!!!!

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!!:fucku: :fucku: :fucku: :fucku: :fucku:

BIG GOOSE
09-21-2004, 02:45 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Panamark
09-21-2004, 04:17 AM
They should have changed the name officially to Van Hagar.
It would have clearly defined a new band, and respected the
past. After all everyone else calls them that anyway.
(Including the Alien's favorite probe recepticle)

Or they could have gone with EVH's choice, "PISS"

no, I didnt make that up.....

kcmusician
09-21-2004, 04:20 AM
PISS? Well I'd believe he came up with that name.... He wrote the majority of VH3 on the crapper after all!

Shaun

Panamark
09-21-2004, 04:45 AM
And probably creating a better "brownsound" than what ended up on VHIII !!

Warham
09-21-2004, 07:00 AM
is it because of the children?

We never had any kids.

bueno bob
09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
I would have appreciated them changing the band name to something a bit more appropriate...maybe Van Failin...or Fag Halen...or something :D

In a nutshell, I think lms has been hitting the nail right on the proverbial head :)

Or I've just learned not to argue, maybe...lol