X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcmusician
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2004

So here's an interesting question:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but here goes.... Would the response be different if Van Halen would have changed the band name after Dave left? I know they had thought about it. At that point in time, I don't think it would have really hurt them with a fan base as much as the 3 singer deal has today. Just a thought, unfortantly we can't go back and see I guess.

Shaun
    "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave
  • lms2

IMO yes. That would have shown respect for all Dave was too and did for that band. But they didn't. By continuing on as though nothing changed, they implied that Dave could be replaced.

The name should have been changed, as they became a complete different band. It is like getting remarried following a divorce, but continuing to go by your former husbands name... WHY?

Comment

• kcmusician
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2004

Well I can't say that I disagree with you....

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• lms2

Thats good. Most people find it gets them nowhere...

But you are welcome to express a difference of opinion, although, not me, but some people may take exception to it.

Out with it KC. Whats your opinion?

Comment

• kcmusician
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2004

Well my opinion would be this. I grew up with Van Hagar mostly, and have listened to them for years.... BUT looking back, I think it would have been easier for classic VH fans to take and maybe even accept if they would have gone out under a different name when they got together with Sammy.... And I think that what respect Van Halen had with Sammy was totally lost when they decided to put Gary Cherone in the band. I say that if infact VH are planning a farewell tour, they need to go out with the same guy that made them who they are. Diamond Dave, baby!

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• RogueHorseman
            Commando
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kcmusician
            I think it would have been easier for classic VH fans to take and maybe even accept if they would have gone out under a different name when they got together with Sammy.... And I think that what respect Van Halen had with Sammy was totally lost when they decided to put Gary Cherone in the band.
            As much as I dislike giving any props to Sam, he in fact pushed hard for a name change when first joining.

So did Warner Brothers.

Apparently ALEX was the one who convinced brother Eddie that they alone WERE Van Halen with anybody and everybody else interchangable.
            <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kcmusician
              I'm sure this has been asked before, but here goes.... Would the response be different if Van Halen would have changed the band name after Dave left? I know they had thought about it. At that point in time, I don't think it would have really hurt them with a fan base as much as the 3 singer deal has today. Just a thought, unfortantly we can't go back and see I guess.

Shaun
              I think this best answers that question:

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
              As much as I dislike giving any props to Sam, he in fact pushed hard for a name change when first joining.

So did Warner Brothers.

Apparently ALEX was the one who convinced brother Eddie that they alone WERE Van Halen with anybody and everybody else interchangable.
              But what happened is, Alex convinced Eddie, they kept the name. Mikey followed, nodded his head, and said nothing. Sammy wanted them to change the name for his own ego, but when he saw that the VH Bros. have decided, he became another yes man, and this in turn, was the first bonding between Mikey and Sammy 'cuz they had something in common, both are bend-over yes 'men' for the VH Bros., something that Dave ALWAYS refused to do. And Sammy continued to 'justify' (read: kiss Ed & Al's asses) by slamming Dave every chance he could get.

Oh and by the way.....Van Hagar STILL SUCKS.....
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• lms2

So, I guess to sum it up...

DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN.

Got Roth?

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lms2
                  IMO yes. That would have shown respect for all Dave was too and did for that band. But they didn't. By continuing on as though nothing changed, they implied that Dave could be replaced.

The name should have been changed, as they became a complete different band. It is like getting remarried following a divorce, but continuing to go by your former husbands name... WHY?
                  My ex-wife still goes by my last name, instead of going back to her maiden name.

Comment

• lms2

But has she remarried?

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jun 2004

YES BUT.................

Yes they should have changed the name but one important thing to realize is that most DLR/VH fans gave VHagar a chance. There is a misconception that as DLR/VH fans we didn't give VHagar a chance which is (in my opinion) largely untrue. Personally I bought 5150 and was excited at the time to hear it. I thought WCTBLove was just an attempt to get crossover appeal and sell the album. Once I heard the album in full I knew they were in trouble. If you had been there when VH ruled the rock universe with DLR and then tried to stomach 5150 you would understand. Hell I even went to see the 5150 tour thinking that they would play a substantial amount of old stuff and play only the heavy tracks from 5150. Again once I saw what they were doing that was the end. OU812 only reinforced my decision to leave the fold. It was an even worse abomination than 5150. I watched as VH gained a more pop audience and (overall) lost fans from their peak of 1984. Aside from numbers though it was the music and the live performance that made it an easy decision to walk away as a fan. The icing on the cake was seeing DLR on EEASmile and watching his band completely blow VHagar off the stage (by comparison). Yes they should have changed the name, but that is not why I (and many others) left.
                      DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Comment

• lms2

there you are.... hey baby

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

But has she remarried?
                            No, but she still might go by my last name. LMAO!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

there you are.... hey baby
                              Hi, how goes things?

Comment

Working...