PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we like both eras?

TongueNGroove
09-22-2004, 10:51 PM
I understand that you guys love the Dave era of VH (as do I), but I don't understand why you have to hate anyone and anything that even mentions listening to or somewhat liking the Sammy era.

Now it may be your opinion that the Dave era is better (I think it's about even), but why not at least be tolerant of those that like the Sammy era as well? Why does it have to be all Dave or nothing?

I realize this is a DLR fan site and that you worship Dave and everything he does. I feel the same way, I don't think Dave has ever done anything musically that I didn't like. But why are you so hostile towards the Sammy Era of VH? Why can't you just forget about Dave being in VH and realize that he has his own thing going on and has for 20 years?

Another thing you should think about is that if Dave really wanted to be in VH he could be. He could pocket that huge ego of his if he wanted to and I am sure the VH bros. would give him another chance. So don't hate VH because Dave isn't in it, it is totally Dave's choice to not be in VH.

BARE BONE
09-22-2004, 10:59 PM
TongueNGroove just stop. Sammy sucked before Van Halen. Stop trying to get a rise out of people. Are you that bored?

BARE BONE
09-22-2004, 11:00 PM
:asshole: :heyfu:

Terry
09-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Have a feeling Dave not being in Van Halen has to do with just a LITTLE bit more than Roth's ego. Perhaps Ed and Al's own egos, along with money, poor management and a host of other issues also played into the scenario? To say it's primarily Roth's attitude that's keeping the band from reforming is both simplistic and insulting.

Probably will never be in Dave's nature to kiss the Van Halen brothers asses to make a reunion happen. Accomodate to a point, maybe. And you know what? There's really no reason he should.

Why can't we all like both eras? Because some of us aren't built that way. For myself, what followed the classic lineup does nothing for me. Couple of points in a few Van Hagar songs rose above the mundane and elicited an emotion other than apathy, but this was on strictly an instrumental level.

Don't care for Hagar's voice, don't care for the direction the band went after Dave left, don't care for Hagar's lyrics, and I don't care for synth-driven power metal ballads. I can stomach them if they're done well, but Van Hagar was inept in even that respect, and the hard rock tracks they did just don't stand up to classic Van Halen. Not by a long shot.

TongueNGroove
09-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I am not saying you have to like both eras, I am just wondering why everyone is so hostile about the sammy era. I mean it's not like if you mention you like the Sammy era people say "eh, I don't care for it", it's more like " Are you a fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?". You know what I mean?

BTW, VH was into synth crap before sammy ever came along, 1984 and Jump are about as synth as you can get.

Seshmeister
09-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Are you a fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?

Lou
09-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Why are people so hostile?

1. Sambo makes continuous idiotic comments that piss us off, the latest being some horrible joke about firefighters not doing anything during the 9/11/04 show

2. People want a real reunion and are tired of being dicked around.

Seshmeister
09-22-2004, 11:22 PM
If someone is too fucking lazy to read the thousands of reasons here and elsewhere then fuck em.

BARE BONE
09-22-2004, 11:22 PM
TongueNGroove I found a picture for you, fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?

GAR
09-22-2004, 11:42 PM
LOOK at the size of that head..

I say, Because one era SUCKS (see above pic) and the other one so totaly rules

scorpioboy33
09-22-2004, 11:50 PM
i just can't stand hagar...and I even seen the current show...if he was humble and self depricating I could handle him a bit...but this guy thinks he's Daves equal...even better so fuckem he fucked up the greatest rock and roll band in the last 20 years...(was gonna say ever than thought of Led Zepplin)

TongueNGroove
09-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
TongueNGroove I found a picture for you, fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?

That's a pretty cool pic, thanks for sharin.

clod speeney
09-23-2004, 12:00 AM
I think when it gets right down to it, I can never understand how a band goes from playing "Romeo Delight" to something like "Dreams." Whenever I hear a Van Hagar tune it always turns into a VS. thing. I can't separate the two eras. Well, one rules and one sucks but I think I've made my point!

MAX
09-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Because Van Halen is "The Mighty Van Halen" and Van Hagar just plain blows goat balls.

tjvhou812
09-23-2004, 12:12 AM
well i happen to like both era's....

yea they are both diffrent....but thats what makes them great....

i would love for dave to be back in the band, becuase i never had the chance to see them w/the great1....

i saw vh w/sam 10 times....and i loved every show..

but i would love to see a dave fronted vh tour....

btw, nobody said you cant like both era,s

but anyway, have a drink...

sambo
09-23-2004, 12:15 AM
As with a multitude of other threads / posts..

Van Halen died in 1985, imposters showed up and bombarded the world with soppy corporate power balled shite.. there is no comparison

Spam did suck well before he joined... his back catalog is atrocious.

AND you mention egos....Alice has to be the most precious fucktard on the planet...

freak
09-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Honest answer with zero levity.

The DLR era was far more inventive both musically and lyrically. You heard it and instantly knew it was Van Halen. Even their throw-away B sides grew on you and can still be listed to today. Three forths of Diver Down was B side material yet 20 some years later, you can put that album on and listen to the whole thing - And like it.

Van Hagar is different. They did the Jefferson Starship - Bland top 40 stuff. Eddie still had some fine moments on the guitar but the songs themselves just dragged on again after the solo. Personally, I cannot recall more than a handful of lyrics from the Van Hagar catalog. It's like the Bay City Rollers with louder amps. Throwaway top 40 drivel.

Dave was an effortless performer. He could fuck up the lyrics to every song and the show still kicked ass. In comparison, Sammy is painful to watch. He can nail every note yet make you go "Ehhhh". Dave was clever and funny. Sammy was a buffoon. IMO, Gary Cherone had more presence than Sammy Hagar.

Finally, Van Hager introduced the "This is MY band" Eddie. He and Al both were petty and sniping pricks. The only member of that band now with any class is Michael Anthony. Again, my opinion but there you are.

rustoffa
09-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Why can't we all like both eras? Because some of us aren't built that way.

Good theory.

So, it's like the spammy van hagar enablers are fucking hermaphrodites?

Blah, blah, blah.....this is ok for a moog sympathizer and I need some hormones?

I just don't understand the difference between dusting my great room and using the backpack blower in my kitchen....the crazy ass screams are ok but they scare my pomeranian?

Stoopid ass confused hermies.

scorpioboy33
09-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I do however like "Right Now"

Rikk
09-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Are you a fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?

Rikk
09-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
I do however like "Right Now"

Eh, I don't like RIGHT NOW. I would say BLACK 'N' BLUE is a good song (except for some of Hagar's crap on it). HUMANS BEING is good. CABO WABO even is occasionally listenable.

But seriously, I will quote MAX and say that Van Hagar "sucks goat balls".

scorpioboy33
09-23-2004, 01:02 AM
I just can't help it.....I dig that song....

Anyways...listen I remember being in highschool van gaybar became....the biggest thing that I can remember is thinking this guys is a big fuckin faker...

You see for me DLR was Van Halen ....he defined what being cool young and fun was.........

For my mind David Lee Roth is Rock and Roll personified!

Bill Lumbergh
09-23-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
I am not saying you have to like both eras, I am just wondering why everyone is so hostile about the sammy era. I mean it's not like if you mention you like the Sammy era people say "eh, I don't care for it", it's more like " Are you a fucking stupid ass moron you fucking retarded sheep lovin cock tard?!! WTF IS wrong with you!?!?". You know what I mean?

BTW, VH was into synth crap before sammy ever came along, 1984 and Jump are about as synth as you can get.

Gee, lets see...........Sammy and the VH bros have gone out of their way to attempt to bury the Classic VH legacy for 20 years. Oh yeah, and the music could make corpses rise from their graves just so they could have the pleasure of ripping their heads off so they wont have to listen to that drivel.

sambo
09-23-2004, 03:50 AM
and to top it all off Sammy is happy enough to pull the classic hits out when the crowd needs a lift... bit hypocritical...

badhorsie
09-23-2004, 04:02 AM
A backlash would have occured if ANYONE replaced DLR.

Some people will like it.
Some people will hate it.

WARF
09-23-2004, 04:02 AM
I'll put it this way... I fuckin hate Sammy Hagar... but I don't hate anyone for being a Sammy fan... it's your choice in music... I think personally that he ruined Van Halen!

WARF
09-23-2004, 04:04 AM
I don't care if they never get back together for good!

I just want one fuckin' show or live performance together!

DrGrafenberg
09-23-2004, 04:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/DrGrafenberg/retard.jpg

Panamark
09-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Why cant we like both eras ?????????????????

Do these people listen as well as they hear ??????

BIG GOOSE
09-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Is there another ??
78-84 all the way.
:bananna:

BIG GOOSE
09-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by sambo
As with a multitude of other threads / posts..

Van Halen died in 1985, imposters showed up and bombarded the world with soppy corporate power balled shite.. there is no comparison

Spam did suck well before he joined... his back catalog is atrocious.

AND you mention egos....Alice has to be the most precious fucktard on the planet...

Can I get a witness???

What you have had since 1986 is a festering corpse of a once great band,the spirit and soul of the band left in 1985.

VAN HALEN 1974-1985 R.I.P.

BIG GOOSE
09-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Why can't we like both eras??
Just to humour you I will try and imagine 2 eras

The answer is thus

1)Dave is greatness personified.The spirit of a long dead killer rock band.

2)Hambone just grates.The fact he brushes his teeth every morning with EVH's dickcheese also loses a few points.

Panamark
09-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Actually I do like both eras........

Van Halen and Dave Solo ! :p

BIG GOOSE
09-23-2004, 07:16 AM
:rockit2: :rockit2: :rockit2:

Golden AWe
09-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812

i would love for dave to be back in the band, becuase i never had the chance to see them w/the great1....

but then again, nobody really gives a shit aboot your opinion

BARE BONE
09-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Golden AWe here a vote for you. tjvhou812 here's something to jerk too. I'm sorry how can you like Dave w/ Van Halen and then listen to Van Hagar and go this is just as good.:splooge:

light 'em up!
09-23-2004, 06:34 PM
I'll never like Sammy Hagar or Van Halen with Sammy Hagar in it... NEVER!

David Lee Roth IS Van Halen.

Fuck Ed, Fuck Al and Fuck all who delve in their shitty non Dave world!

smaz
09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by DrGrafenberg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/DrGrafenberg/retard.jpg

Harsh, but :rofl:!!!!!!!!11

Lou
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Actually I do like both eras........

Van Halen and Dave Solo ! :p

Good call :D

turboblues
09-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Why cant we like both eras ?????????????????

Do these people listen as well as they hear ?????? Good call too!

Switch84
09-23-2004, 08:20 PM
:rolleyes: Oh, brother! Once again we're beseiged by sheep drivel! For me, the Roth era's best because the fellas gelled so well together and had HEART, GUTS, and GLORY! What you see post-Roth is half-assed corporate-safe hokey bullshit. VH with Dave went against the norm and KICKED ASS! With Sam, you have boring old dudes playing tone-deaf bar mitzvah music. Fuck that shit!

VH with Roth= CRISTAL
VH with Hagar= store brand KOOL-AID

'Nuff said

freak
09-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:rolleyes: Oh, brother! Once again we're beseiged by sheep drivel! For me, the Roth era's best because the fellas gelled so well together and had HEART, GUTS, and GLORY! What you see post-Roth is half-assed corporate-safe hokey bullshit. VH with Dave went against the norm and KICKED ASS! With Sam, you have boring old dudes playing tone-deaf bar mitzvah music. Fuck that shit!

VH with Roth= CRISTAL
VH with Hagar= store brand KOOL-AID

'Nuff said

But, Switch baby, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Switch84
09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by freak
But, Switch baby, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

:D Sure, just as long as you bring "Cristal" to the party and not "store-brand Kool-Aid".....

LMMFAOBT!

scottydabodi
09-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I understand that you guys love the Dave era of VH (as do I), but I don't understand why you have to hate anyone and anything that even mentions listening to or somewhat liking the Sammy era.

Now it may be your opinion that the Dave era is better (I think it's about even), but why not at least be tolerant of those that like the Sammy era as well? Why does it have to be all Dave or nothing?

I realize this is a DLR fan site and that you worship Dave and everything he does. I feel the same way, I don't think Dave has ever done anything musically that I didn't like. But why are you so hostile towards the Sammy Era of VH? Why can't you just forget about Dave being in VH and realize that he has his own thing going on and has for 20 years?

Another thing you should think about is that if Dave really wanted to be in VH he could be. He could pocket that huge ego of his if he wanted to and I am sure the VH bros. would give him another chance. So don't hate VH because Dave isn't in it, it is totally Dave's choice to not be in VH.

Hagar Sympathizers should FUCK OFF.

Here's a NEWSFLASH for ya, dimwit, the VanHalen's FORCED us to choose sides by their PERPETUAL degradation of DLR, and their REFUSAL to accept what Dave did as important to their careers. They CONSTANTLY insult, and down DLR whenever a mic is put in their faces. They forced the fans to pick sides by their constant bombardment of Dave, and his role in their history, and WE are the ARMY of DLR Fans... We are SUPPOSED to be the HARDEST of the HARDCORES.. The ones who will try the hardest to SUPPORT DAVE, and speak up when Dave has been slighted... ESPECIALLY by the guys he MADE FUCKING FAMOUS... In the grand scheme of things, they should kiss Dave's fucking ass EVERY FUCKING DAY OF THEIR FUCKING MISERABLE EXISTANCES FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I have to keep explaining this??? Go to Hell, shithead...

franksters
09-24-2004, 12:46 AM

IF YOU NEVER SAW VH WITH DAVID LEE ROTH YOU SAW ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AT ALL, VH with SPAM is like an old body who chose to become a drunken son of a bitch who tells you how much he loves you and who don't understand why you don't hang out anymore in is new dump shit cocheroach infested apartment!

you DEFINITLY NEED TO GO AND SEE A SHOW PERFORM BY ROTH AND HIS NEW BAND
THEY ARE RIPPIN' PROBABLY MORE THAN VAN WAILIN THEY GOT THE ATTITUDE THAT UNFORTUNATLY MICKEY AND THE SISTERS NEVER HAD..

ciao!!

tjvhou812
09-24-2004, 12:47 AM
mike jackson finally, let you go home

franksters
09-24-2004, 12:55 AM
hey tj why do you promote this shitty album?

Matt White
09-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by scottydabodi

Here's a NEWSFLASH for ya, dimwit, the VanHalen's FORCED us to choose sides by their PERPETUAL degradation of DLR, and their REFUSAL to accept what Dave did as important to their careers. They CONSTANTLY insult, and down DLR whenever a mic is put in their faces. They forced the fans to pick sides by their constant bombardment of Dave, and his role in their history, and WE are the ARMY of DLR Fans... We are SUPPOSED to be the HARDEST of the HARDCORES.. The ones who will try the hardest to SUPPORT DAVE, and speak up when Dave has been slighted... ESPECIALLY by the guys he MADE FUCKING FAMOUS... In the grand scheme of things, they should kiss Dave's fucking ass EVERY FUCKING DAY OF THEIR FUCKING MISERABLE EXISTANCES FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I have to keep explaining this??? Go to Hell, shithead...

Another example of why Scottydabodi is a legend in his own time.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

franksters
09-24-2004, 01:12 AM
mike jackson finally, let you go home

What are you talking about ?

tjvhou812
09-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by franksters
What are you talking about ?

that wasnt posted to you

tjvhou812
09-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by franksters
hey tj why do you promote this shitty album?

i,m a vh fan period......

and how can you call it shitty.......

half of the tunes are dlr

rockvanhalen66
09-24-2004, 01:37 AM
man another jerk off..

bueno bob
09-24-2004, 01:42 AM
i,m a vh fan period......

and how can you call it shitty.......

half of the tunes are dlr

We've been over this enough times already. It's the "new" songs, the lack of pictures, the band's refusal to even spell out David's name, the obvious snub towards him in so far as any credit is concerned, the packaging, and the track selection and presentation which makes this a bad purchase. BOBW could have been done MUCH better (and let's face it...there's no excuse as to why it wasn't, they had 7 years to put it together) and it wasn't. As a Van Halens Greatest Hits type of album, it fails due specifically to the above reasons as is therefore a "bad album" all around...half of the songs are Roth era (wisely), but that's not enough to save it.

Frankly, this could have been a great project and was the best time to clear up the mistakes that plagued BOV1, but they did not take advantage of that opportunity.

sambo
09-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by rockvanhalen66
man another jerk off..

There was a quote by Alice or Spamwise that they wanted to mix the tracks up on BOBW. My opinion, and it's just my opinion, if they put DLR tracks on 1 Cd and Spam tracks on 1 CD there would be a lot of Spam CD beer coasters... actually I wouldn't even put my beer on a Spam CD, lest it go flat and warm and soft and turn into a fucking Pepsi commercial...

rockvanhalen66
09-24-2004, 01:49 AM
now sambo you need a cd player first..

bueno bob
09-24-2004, 01:55 AM
There was a quote by Alice or Spamwise that they wanted to mix the tracks up on BOBW. My opinion, and it's just my opinion, if they put DLR tracks on 1 Cd and Spam tracks on 1 CD there would be a lot of Spam CD beer coasters... actually I wouldn't even put my beer on a Spam CD, lest it go flat and warm and soft and turn into a fucking Pepsi commercial...

I'm with you, and I think almost EVERYBODY I've heard/talked to or read has said the same. They REALLY needed to seperate the eras by disc...I think they were trying to emphasize their point of view that "Van Halen is Van Halen, no matter what or who - now that you can hear a blend of Van Roth and Van Hagar, you can surely see and this whole debate is finally OVER!!"

Of course, all they've succeeded in doing is showing people just how separate and opposite the both worlds are.

Who wants to bet mixing the track selections was Al's idea? :)

kcmusician
09-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I like both era's, but the fact is that what we see on stage today is not Van Halen, it's Van Hagar.... David Lee Roth IS Van Halen. I was at a show for this current tour, and it rocked.... But it ain't Van Halen until you hear the singer say something like "Hey don't be squirting water at me... I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend pal!" That's Van Halen in top form my friend!

Shaun

bueno bob
09-24-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
[B]I like both era's, but the fact is that what we see on stage today is not Van Halen, it's Van Hagar.... David Lee Roth IS Van Halen. I was at a show for this current tour, and it rocked.... But it ain't Van Halen until you hear the singer say something like "Hey don't be squirting water at me... I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend pal!" That's Van Halen in top form my friend![B]

Well, there's hope for ya!

:)

BIG GOOSE
09-24-2004, 02:26 AM

That's why I'll never buy that fucking CD.:monekyr:

sambo
09-24-2004, 02:44 AM

LOL ! haha! what's a CD player? ;)

kcmusician
09-24-2004, 03:36 AM
Well ya know, this is what shoud have happened.... They had talked about two discs before the '96 hits.... One with Dave, and one with Sammy. They didn't because they didn't want the press of one era selling better the other. But since they did a double disc set, they could have atleast made the first disc Dave, and the second Sammy.... That way you could listen to what you want without any problem.

Shaun

Golden AWe
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
this thread is like defending a bisexual man by saying "why can't you like both men and women"

well, the heterosexual men love pussy.

bisexual men love pussy too, but will always be remember as knights of the brown hole.

saint
09-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
this thread is like defending a bisexual man by saying "why can't you like both men and women"

bisexual men love pussy too, but will always be remember as knights of the brown hole.

Amen

DeadOrAlive
09-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
Is there another ??
78-84 all the way.
:bananna:

No no no... It's 73-84. You gotta include his club days!

jacksmar
09-24-2004, 01:51 PM
“Now it may be your opinion that the Dave era is better”

It’s a fact.

“I realize this is a DLR fan site and that you worship Dave and everything he does”

Wrong. Only someone that likes shagar would assume this.

“Why can't you just forget about Dave being in VH and realize that he has his own thing going on and has for 20 years?”

Same reason some people can’t let go of Woodstock. If you have seen it, no comparison. And Roth’s Van Halen will always be bigger than Woodstock.

“it is totally Dave's choice to not be in VH”

Ah, there we have it. The familiar bleating of an EdwardVanHagar fan. Hope the sheppards are easy on you. Watch out for his brother Alice though. Word is his wife dropped him because he was favoring young boys.

Roth Rules.

ssomesweetsugar
09-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Sammy never belonged in VH. I don't hate Sammy lovers.

This is just my opinion.

I saw his solo act at the Sacremento "State Fair" in CA in the 80's.
He put on an okay show. He was young and had a lot of energy he ran across the top of these towers, that went from one side of the stage to the other with no rail like a crazy man. I think that might be why he was considered for VH.

I remember those days and the talk of who might join the VH boys..I almost shit my pants when I heard it was Sammy. I know for me, it wouldn't have made a difference who replaced Dave. certain people/things just can't be substituted.

I wonder if his career was on the outs just before he was signed on to VH or they thought they were getting this amazing front man who could put on a good show.

Honestly, Sammy/vh is just boring to me. For some reason when I would hear them the first thing that came to mind was Loverboy. I never liked Loverboy either.

I personally need to hear and feel something when I listen to music. Sammy just never did it for me.

Where are the great legendary LYRICS???? I hear nothing when I've listen to Sammy /VH. After Dave left the magic was gone forever.

I'm not sure if the Sammy fans were ever original VH fans from the beginning. Maybe if they were they could see the difference in the music. I think a majority of Sam/VH fans are another generation or might be original Hager fans.

Whatever the case... Dave will always be VH to me.

ssomesweetsugar
09-24-2004, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Golden AWe
[B]this thread is like defending a bisexual man by saying "why can't you like both men and women"

I like your analogy Golden.
LOL

nosuchluck
09-24-2004, 03:44 PM
both eras?
u mean there was more than one??

philouze
09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Bette Davis or Pee Wee Herman ?

TongueNGroove
09-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by scottydabodi

I hate it for yah dude, but Eddie would have been famous without Dave. No matter who would have been singing Van Halen would still be just as famous and the fact that they are still famous to this day and have put out many platinum albums since DLR left is proof of that.

When I first got into VH I didnt give a shit about Dave, I liked the way EDDIE played guitar. I liked HIS music and the way HE played. Dave was about as important as Mike Anthony.

Since then I have learned to appreciate Dave more and I enjoy what he did with VH and with Vai and Becker as well, not to mention his solo tunes i.e gigilo etc...

But for you to claim there would be no VH without Dave is just proving how ignorant you are of Eddies skills as musician.

TongueNGroove
09-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

A legend in his own MIND maybe.

Matt White
09-25-2004, 01:37 AM
No matter who would have been singing Van Halen would still be just as famous and the fact that they are still famous to this day and have put out many platinum albums since DLR left is proof of that.
But for you to claim there would be no VH without Dave is just proving how ignorant you are of Eddies skills as musician.

EVH himself has said they NEVER would have made it without DAVE. It's redundant to continue arguing this point. Face it, EVH would STILL be playing backyard BarBQ's if ROTH hadn't run that band. This facade that"IT's All About The Music" is a tired JOKE. Without DAVE, you got 20 years of forgettable tunes. Nobody remembers Spammy's lyrics, so it would be true if EVH had written any good tunes. They made it back in the day as much on ROTH as EVH. Save the revisionist history, CARPETBAGGER.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

bueno bob
09-25-2004, 03:33 AM
I hate it for yah dude, but Eddie would have been famous without Dave.

Wrong. Ed's proven since 1985 that his work ethic is absolutely shit. It's being proven right now in an arena near you. The only reason you had a positive output from Van Halen during the Roth era was because he kicked ALL of their asses into shape and MADE them work for their success. Otherwise, yes, Van Halen probably would have had some success without Roth...their studio output at this point would probably rival Boston.

No matter who would have been singing Van Halen would still be just as famous and the fact that they are still famous to this day and have put out many platinum albums since DLR left is proof of that.

Wrong. It was an electric combination and Roth's face is what SOLD Van Halen to the masses in the 80s. Don't believe me? Go to eBay and look through teen magazines from 1978-1985...see how many times you see David's face on the cover and the words "Van Halen" right next to it...no doubt that Ed, Mike and Al were making the music, sure, but the lead singer is what sells the band to the masses, PERIOD. If you think Roth didn't sell Van Halen to EVERYBODY and their brother in the early 80s, you weren't there or you're writing your own revisionist history. Plus, you've also conveniently omitted the fact that every successive Van Halen album without David at the helm has sold less then the one before it, and it's a PROVEN FACT that the David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen has outsold the Spammy Hagar fronted Van Hagar albums 3-1.

When I first got into VH I didnt give a shit about Dave, I liked the way EDDIE played guitar. I liked HIS music and the way HE played. Dave was about as important as Mike Anthony.

That may be true. Even if it is, you're in the very minor majority among Van Halen fans...and this message board is DEFINATELY the wrong place for you.

Since then I have learned to appreciate Dave more and I enjoy what he did with VH and with Vai and Becker as well, not to mention his solo tunes i.e gigilo etc...

Good, then there's some hope for you.

There would have been SOME form of Van Halen without David, but not acknowledging that David made Van Halen the most amazing rock and roll band from America during the late 70s and early to mid 80s just proves how ignorant you are about the actual history of Van Halen and how little you know about how much work he put into it.

Golden AWe
09-25-2004, 04:18 AM
I hate it for yah dude, but Eddie would have been famous without Dave. No matter who would have been singing Van Halen would still be just as famous and the fact that they are still famous to this day and have put out many platinum albums since DLR left is proof of that.

well, your username kinda referred into ass-kissing already in the first place...

BIG GOOSE
09-25-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by ssomesweetsugar

I'm not sure if the Sammy fans were ever original VH fans from the beginning. Maybe if they were they could see the difference in the music. I think a majority of Sam/VH fans are another generation or might be original Hager fans.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this.I truly honestly can't believe that a Van Halen fan would EVER accept Sammy Hagar.I didn't and I stopped listening to VH until this year.
When I heard Hagar was the answer to the band's problems I thought it must have been a stupid fucking question to begin with.:donkey:

BIG GOOSE
09-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Wrong. Ed's proven since 1985 that his work ethic is absolutely shit. It's being proven right now in an arena near you. The only reason you had a positive output from Van Halen during the Roth era was because he kicked ALL of their asses into shape and MADE them work for their success. Otherwise, yes, Van Halen probably would have had some success without Roth...their studio output at this point would probably rival Boston.

Wrong. It was an electric combination and Roth's face is what SOLD Van Halen to the masses in the 80s. Don't believe me? Go to eBay and look through teen magazines from 1978-1985...see how many times you see David's face on the cover and the words "Van Halen" right next to it...no doubt that Ed, Mike and Al were making the music, sure, but the lead singer is what sells the band to the masses, PERIOD. If you think Roth didn't sell Van Halen to EVERYBODY and their brother in the early 80s, you weren't there or you're writing your own revisionist history. Plus, you've also conveniently omitted the fact that every successive Van Halen album without David at the helm has sold less then the one before it, and it's a PROVEN FACT that the David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen has outsold the Spammy Hagar fronted Van Hagar albums 3-1.

That may be true. Even if it is, you're in the very minor majority among Van Halen fans...and this message board is DEFINATELY the wrong place for you.

Good, then there's some hope for you.

There would have been SOME form of Van Halen without David, but not acknowledging that David made Van Halen the most amazing rock and roll band from America during the late 70s and early to mid 80s just proves how ignorant you are about the actual history of Van Halen and how little you know about how much work he put into it.

What a superb post I applaud you,sir !!!:rockit:

jacksmar
09-25-2004, 05:56 AM
"their studio output at this point would probably rival Boston"
LOL

Switch84
09-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Wrong. Ed's proven since 1985 that his work ethic is absolutely shit. LMAO!!! TRUE!

:D You tell 'em, bueno bob! What burns my butt about the Dave-haters is the fact that these Eddie sheep believes that Davy Baby stepped into a ready-made band, and THAT'S NOT TRUE! Those fuckers weren't even "Van Halen" when Dave met them; they were calling themselves MAMMOTH.

It's the combination of Dave's showmanship/lyricism and Eddie's musicianship that made that band as great as it was. Shit, even Mike Anthony was a 'replacement player' for chrissakes! The sheep probably don't know their original bassist was Mike Stone.

Enough of the Dave hating already!

pete
09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
A legend in his own MIND maybe.

What a fucking idiot.

EVH would not have made the mark he did playing sabbath and cream covers.

He's be a forgotten shredder only guitar enthusiasts would still appreciate.

Dave took them from backyards and schools to clubs.

nosuchluck
09-25-2004, 12:49 PM
EVH was definitely not the most accomplished player of the time.
DLR made the difference.

Ed would probably be as under-appreciated as someone like Shawn Lane (who at the time was making waves touring with BOA) or Uli Roth who just has a strong cult following.

philouze
09-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Why can't I like both eras ?
I'll let u meditate on this, cockroach dick:

Sam's a miserable piece (piss) of shit
And for God's fuckin Sake:

DAVE'S THE MAN

scottydabodi
09-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Dave or the FUCKING Grave PERIOD!!! Matt Rocks!!

Wayne L.
09-25-2004, 08:44 PM
The so called fans that whine about Dave or Sammy or whoever as frontman in Van Halen constantly keep forgetting it's Eddie's band in the first place even though you wouldn't know it sadly. I know & everybody else should know that David Lee Roth is one of the greatest frontmen in rock with few equals during his VH days along with those first six important classic rock albums. I first became aware of Sammy Hagar back in 81 after Montrose & before VH but all this constant criticism by so called fans is just whining by spoiled brats.

Golden AWe
09-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
The so called fans that whine about Dave or Sammy or whoever as frontman in Van Halen constantly keep forgetting it's Eddie's band in the first place even though you wouldn't know it sadly. I know & everybody else should know that David Lee Roth is one of the greatest frontmen in rock with few equals during his VH days along with those first six important classic rock albums. I first became aware of Sammy Hagar back in 81 after Montrose & before VH but all this constant criticism by so called fans is just whining by spoiled brats.

i repeat:

Golden AWe
09-25-2004, 08:47 PM
and i'll keep on saying the same until people like wayne l. will get it.

CROWBAR
09-25-2004, 09:13 PM

idjit!:D

scottydabodi
09-25-2004, 11:28 PM
I think for that post, Wayne L deserves an Estrada...

interceptor
09-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:D You tell 'em, bueno bob! What burns my butt about the Dave-haters is the fact that these Eddie sheep believes that Davy Baby stepped into a ready-made band, and THAT'S NOT TRUE! Those fuckers weren't even "Van Halen" when Dave met them; they were calling themselves MAMMOTH.

It's the combination of Dave's showmanship/lyricism and Eddie's musicianship that made that band as great as it was. Shit, even Mike Anthony was a 'replacement player' for chrissakes! The sheep probably don't know their original bassist was Mike Stone.

Enough of the Dave hating already!

The bass player was Mark Stone, you short bus riding tard!! Try typing with your good hand next time instead of the curled up one banging against your sternum!!!! Just giving you shit, bud, but I really think it was Mark instead of Mike....and Golden Awe, your a funny ass M'fer!!!! Brown Hole aviator??? LMFAO!!!!

BrownSound1
09-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Here's a fact....Ed and Al couldn't get a club gig until Dave got in the band. Just because you're an extremely talented musician doesn't mean that you will automatically make it in the music biz. Ed and Al didn't know how to sell their product, and Dave basically showed them how by making it more accessible to the common folk.

Now back to the original question...I don't see how anyone can embrace Van Hagar as the same band, because it is not. Had Van Hagar continued on the same musical path, and kept that same attitude then you MIGHT could make an argument...like AC/DC did for instance. However, you're talking about a complete musical 180 when considering Van Hagar. Hell they went from being one of the most rocking bands of all time to being REO Speedwagon with a better guitarist in a one album span. Lovey dovey, touchy feely, suddenly I walked her home lyrics and music...puuuuhhhleeeezzzee. I guess if you like that kind of thing it's ok, but I personally think that shit is gay. There are some things guitar wise that Edward did with Van Hagar that were cool, but I kept saying...wonder how badass this would have been with Dave in the band.

Rikk
09-26-2004, 12:50 AM

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET BACK IN THE FUCKING PEN!!!:mad:

Lou
09-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Am I the only person who laughed like hell at this:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=220361.jpg[

:D

Rikk
09-26-2004, 01:39 AM
I think TONGUE IN ASS should be thrown in the fucking Pen.

freak
09-26-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
I think TONGUE IN ASS should be thrown in the fucking Pen.

How goes the mutton re-education efforts?

Rikk
09-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Very well. We've already almost reformed two sheep (although they clearly still need work), and several other sheep have been ridiculed to never come back. There was a side-project including another ogre that will never return, but the Pen cannot officially take credit for that one.

rustoffa
09-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
and i'll keep on saying the same until people like wayne l. will get it.

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/dangerous_goods/WAYNE.jpg

Golden AWe
09-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/dangerous_goods/WAYNE.jpg

hahaha...

fascinating picture!

Wayne L.
09-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Why do you love David Lee Roth so much rustoffa instead of just being a VH fan? It's too bad you live in a fantasy world gay boy with that picture of yourself which you think is me.

bueno bob
09-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Like I said originally - VAN HALEN IS NOT EDWARD'S OWN PERSONAL BAND. IF IT WAS, IT WOULD BE CALLED "THE EDWARD VAN HALEN BAND". THE NAME OF THE BAND IS VAN HALEN. A GROUP PROJECT. IF VAN HALEN WAS EDWARD VAN HALEN'S PERSONAL BAND, THEN VAN HALEN 3 WOULD HAVE SOLD LIKE DYNAMITE BECAUSE VAN HALEN 3 WAS ESSENTIALLY, FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES, AN EDWARD VAN HALEN SOLO ALBUM. IT FAILED. EREGO, VAN HALEN IS A GROUP PROJECT AND NOT THE EDWARD VAN HALEN AND SPECIAL GUESTS GROUP.

And THAT is a big, healthy dose of fuckin' reality for ya!

Coyote
09-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I couldn't care less about Van Hagar. If someone wants to listen to both eras, I ain't stoppin' 'em. Just don't try to shove it down my throat, OK? Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go listen to some classic Stevie Ray Vaughan. :cool:

rustoffa
09-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Why do you love David Lee Roth so much rustoffa instead of just being a VH fan? It's too bad you live in a fantasy world gay boy with that picture of yourself which you think is me.

:D
It ain't like that Wayne, you're my fa-vo-rite preacher!
You remember that one dontcha?
That's where you're in the lions den with faux tigers and shit....
;)

W.W.D.D.?
09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
anyone can like both eras if that's their thing

me, i think the hagar shit is just that.....SHIT

HELLVIS
09-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
I couldn't care less about Van Hagar. If someone wants to listen to both eras, I ain't stoppin' 'em. Just don't try to shove it down my throat, OK? Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go listen to some classic Stevie Ray Vaughan. :cool:

Damn straight!!!!
I don't go around trying to get fags to go down on women.
I don't try to get vegetarians to eat meat.
I don't worry myself about why the guys down at HOOTERS don't find Rikki Lake sexy.
I don't care if my chevy lovin' dad ever buys a ford.
And, I sure as hell couldn't care less why Roth era VH fans understand how much Van hagar sucks.

So, why the fuck must you sheep constantly push that shit???????

GAR
09-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by HELLVIS
I sure as hell couldn't care less why Roth era VH fans understand how much Van hagar sucks.

Fucking PELICANS~!!

franksters
09-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey tj,

Bueno bob answered for me on your questions, this album sucks period and I hope it doesn't sell so the van sisters get there fair share of misery too!

I don't know if there is any live track on this album, frankly I don't think so cause the sisters never did that but having this and separating the shitty era and the van roth era would've been the best,

actually they should completely separate the album meaning you by the era of your choice!

now that would've been good!

but then again if you don't involve the commander in chief of roth n roll in the marketing of it, it won't be the same reaction to it..

anyway viva sister hagar as you would say and

I'LL SCREAM VIVA DLR BAND FOR IT'S PURIST APPROACH TO A GREAT FUTUR IN THE ROCK N ROLL BUSINESS

ciao

Blacklisted
09-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Its one thing to listen to the Van Hagar era but its another to actually LIKE the Van Hagar... I was obviously too young too see VH with the one and only. But I had to suffer through like 10 minutes at the show of Sammy fagness. And I am sure anyone out there that saw them on this summers tour would tell you how discusted they were with Sammy and his gay ass solo shit. And even when they busted out something like Somebody Get Me A Doctor MA was singing it. What good is Sammy? I am sure at least 90% of this army would agree with me and thats FUCK ALL. Long live DLR and fuck all the Sammy Sissys.

JCOOK
09-29-2004, 07:24 PM
When will you people get it? If you want to listen to roy and the bunholeritas knock yourself out. BUT IT AINT' VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE FUCKING ROTH! NEVER HAS BEEN NEVER WILL BE! GET IT?

DAVE OR THE GRAVE!

HELLVIS
09-29-2004, 09:05 PM
.....Oh, did I forget to say ....

I do not like three dregs and Sam
I do not like them Spam I am
Their albums are like septic tanks
so full of shit and piss so rank
I would not listen near or far
Their music is for faggot bars!
I do not like three dregs and Sam
I do not like them Spam I am!