PDA

View Full Version : BOBW sales

Bob_R
09-23-2004, 09:11 AM
To keep everyone up to date BOBW has now sold 376,559 copies. It's in a slow decline which of course is to be expected. Each week it seems the sales are less than the previous week.

It's not going to reach 500,000 IMO. Maybe eventually in the future, what I mean is not this year.

Panamark
09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Less than VHIII we all predicted it :)

Cathedral
09-23-2004, 10:36 AM
What about the numbers that have been sold back to Amazon?
They have a record number of used BOBW sets to offer for $12.98.

It seems those who purchased it ended up getting rid of it, lol.

Matt White
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
People buy it....Burn the DAVE songs...and throw it back. "ADIOS Van Hagar FAGS!!!!"

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Bill Lumbergh
09-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Sammy's spin "I told Ed not to include Dave era songs. Those songs were never THAT popular to begin with. Shit like Black n Blue is timeless.........people will be analyzing that song for centuries. Dave was popular for a couple of minutes, but there was no substance in those years. Why do you think Mike anthony drops to his knees everyday for me?! I gave him a career. Oh and I personally made Eat em and Smile a double platinum album. Just wanted to give that no talent hack a few bucks so he would get out of our lives forever. Oh, and Voa just hit the 20 million sold mark."

BackInAction
09-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Less than VHIII we all predicted it :)

One thing I don't get, VHIII took 5 months to go gold and hasn't become platinum in over 4 years.

BOBW took just over a month to go gold and platinum and has only been on sale for just over 2 months.

Big Train
09-23-2004, 01:33 PM
A VERY good point about the returns. Soundscan only reports what was sold originally, not what was returned. It could turn out that these things only sell 150k for WB, if there is a crush of returns for full credit.

It's a certified disaster people and the only way out is through Diamond City...

Thetruthbaby
09-23-2004, 01:34 PM
There are a couple of reasons BOBW has gone platinum. First the disk gets 2 credits for each UNIT sold since it's a double CD set. The RIAA has been doing it this way for years. Secondly when the RIAA certifies albums they look at Net Shipments minus returns (it gets weird--their is a period of time in which albums can be returned by the record stores for a partial credit from the distributor/label). So BOBW has soundscanned 376,559 UNITS. But it gets credit for 753,118 since it's a double disk set. The RIAA certified it because record stores purchased over 500,000 of the UNITS/DOUBLE DISK SETS from the distributor/label therefore it gets certified platinum due to the double credit deal. The record industry is a strange business to say the least. That is the way they do it though. The record stores will probably keep the unsold copies (and may purchase a few more) since they probably feel it will sell over time little by little. One thing is clear though, the anticipation for new material from VHagar was not very significant at all.

Bob_R
09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
There are a couple of reasons BOBW has gone platinum. First the disk gets 2 credits for each UNIT sold since it's a double CD set. The RIAA has been doing it this way for years. Secondly when the RIAA certifies albums they look at Net Shipments minus returns (it gets weird--their is a period of time in which albums can be returned by the record stores for a partial credit from the distributor/label). So BOBW has soundscanned 376,559 UNITS. But it gets credit for 753,118 since it's a double disk set. The RIAA certified it because record stores purchased over 500,000 of the UNITS/DOUBLE DISK SETS from the distributor/label therefore it gets certified platinum due to the double credit deal. The record industry is a strange business to say the least. That is the way they do it though. The record stores will probably keep the unsold copies (and may purchase a few more) since they probably feel it will sell over time little by little. One thing is clear though, the anticipation for new material from VHagar was not very significant at all.

Exactly. Good post dudester.

spmusicplyr
09-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Yup, i was gonna write something similar until i saw that.

Who would wanna buy a best of when half of those songs were on the first best of?

My guess is that The Best of, Volume two with all different 78-96 VH songs and 3 new sammy songs would have done better.

Maybe they ran a double disk set because thats the only way it would have gotten a cert, cause of the double credit!

spmusicplyr
09-23-2004, 05:10 PM
and fuck, VHIII was different, not bad.

i listened to some of it today actually.

i also listened to thug pop :) (damn i love that song)

Matt White
09-23-2004, 10:35 PM
And I listened to the 3 new songs at BORDER'S BOOKS today for the first time. Well, to be truthful, I had heard half of "It's about TimE" on the radio months ago. But never heard "Up-Chuck for Breakfast" or "learning to See" before. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Two of the LAMEST SONGS ever written. I'd better NEVER here another Spammy SHEEP wanna talk LYRICAL CONTENT ever again, You Motherfuckers!!!! What a FUCKING embarrassment!!! You fucks DESERVE that pile of SHIT known as Van Hagar!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!!

Halen High
09-24-2004, 02:18 AM
As I reported a few weeks ago, BOBW has proven to be a disaster Down Under. After just 2 weeks, the album peaked at 31 and dropped out of Australia's official ARIA top 50 chart.

However, I noticed today that BOBW had re-entered the top 50 at no. 41, but after a total of 4 weeks on the chart has since slipped back to 45. Should be gone for good by next week.

I think this reflects the lack of BOBW promotion. When it first came out hardly anyone knew it was coming, or that Van Hagar was even reunited. Some sheep have since noticed it on the shelves and bought it, hence the re-entry. But still not enough to make a splash.

As a comparison, GnR Greatest hits has been in the top 50 for 26 weeks, peaking at no.6 and still sitting at 34!

And Matt, you are so right about the three new songs. Aussie radio refuses to play them, at least in South Oz and from what our HONEST fellow Aussies report on this site, its the same elsewhere.

Matt White
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
And I listened to the 3 new songs at BORDER'S BOOKS today for the first time. Well, to be truthful, I had heard half of "It's about TimE" on the radio months ago. But never heard "Up-Chuck for Breakfast" or "learning to See" before. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Two of the LAMEST SONGS ever written. I'd better NEVER here another Spammy SHEEP wanna talk LYRICAL CONTENT ever again, You Motherfuckers!!!! What a FUCKING embarrassment!!! You fucks DESERVE that pile of SHIT known as Van Hagar!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!!

Hmmmm.....
Don't think the 3 new LAME tunes has anything to do with BOBW sales?
Could it be the SHEEP are bum rushing the Tower records in their area?
Could BOBW actually CATCH VHIII in sales?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
PATHETIC!!!!

FUCK YOU Van Hagar SHEEP!!!!

Figs
09-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
As I reported a few weeks ago, BOBW has proven to be a disaster Down Under. After just 2 weeks, the album peaked at 31 and dropped out of Australia's official ARIA top 50 chart.

You must have a higher percentage of people with good taste in Oz.