PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on what happened...

Rhynster
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
So, EVH and DLR recorded 3 songs together? In 2001?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1438384/20010122/story.jhtml

Anything ever surface on these tracks? Gotta be legal problems, right?

Or are these waiting for a box set release?

Rhynster
09-27-2004, 03:08 PM
All I hear are crickets...

chefcraig
09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Rhynster
All I hear are crickets...

Sorry, friend...some of us were busy responding to your other post.:D

From what I've read over the past few years, it all depends on who or what you choose to believe: Dave claims the tracks were "electrifying" (or words to that effect).

Ed Van Halen claims that they were simply poor quality demos that will "never see the light of day".

Mikey thought they were recording an album (one must imagine he was sadly misinformed or simply out of the loop).

The concept of a boxed set leaves me two ways:

#1. The anticipation of how great it could be.

#2. The resounding dissappointment at how poorly put together and sadly wanting it would wind up being, if it ever was released.

For reference, I point you to the "BOBW" and the "Live W/O A Net" releases...both shoddily prepared, with very little insight or effort put into either.

Don't hold your breathe!!!:D

...craig:cool:

DlocRoth
09-28-2004, 10:59 AM
I believe Dave said, regarding the 3 "new" tracks, "The hands fell off the clock."

Matt White
09-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Rhynster
So, EVH and DLR recorded 3 songs together? In 2001?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1438384/20010122/story.jhtml

Anything ever surface on these tracks? Gotta be legal problems, right?

Or are these waiting for a box set release?

Around this time DAVE discovered that the SISTERS & Mikey were getting a larger share of royalties than he was, due to some cloak and dagger manuverings by Ray Danniels (Who was SHEMP Van HAlens brother in law).Thus, when EVH said "the lawyers" ruined it, what he meant was they wouldn't honor their original agreement with DAVE and the work ground to a halt. Best part is, DAVE had to find out 9 YEARS AFTER THE FACT. Honorable guys, the SISTERS!!!! NO SPIN HERE.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

meanstreet
09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
I believe Diamond Dave in 2000-01 said of the 3 recordings, in a PR statement broadcasted all over the internet, "Eddie Van Halen and me, Edward Van Halen and myself, got together and jammed, the hands fell off the clock ladies and gentlemen, and we recorded 3 astonishing tunes. That was last January and since then I haven't been up to the studio, but I'm ready, and I've got the high note."

ZahZoo
09-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Yep Dave made the clock reference and played them as something great... then everything went silent and Edward announced his cancer ordeal.

In 2002 Edward mentioned at the LA Celebrity Golf Charity event that they would never see the light of day.

In 2003 Dave was asked about them and just said they were no big deal just rough demos.

In the end... they sit in the vault in 5150. I wouldn't pin too much hope of any box sets... the whole record industry is fucked up beyond repair... From recent interview I would doubt any releases are on the table... There's no money in records anymore Touring is where the money is.

Panamark
09-29-2004, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I remember all of the above. I also remember Dweezil Zappa at the time saying he had heard 5 new tracks with Dave singing....

scorpioboy33
09-29-2004, 05:08 AM
wtf was Frank Zappa thinking naming his kid Dweezil

classic 84
09-29-2004, 06:50 PM
love to hear those tunes, boy.