PDA

View Full Version : What was the real scoop?

Rhynster
09-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Skip the bias and rhetoric and what was the real reason why the 1996 reunion crashed before it took off?

I've heard the talk of EVH being upset the DLR was too into himself. But what happened? What did DLR do that was so bad?

Thetruthbaby
09-27-2004, 02:16 PM
If David Lee Roth were back in VH HE would get most of the media attention and the tour would largely be about HIS return to reform the CLASSIC lineup. Eddie Vh doesn't want this, neither does Alex. They can't stand the idea of DLR getting the spotlight that he would naturally attract. Remember back in 96' when the commercials started airing on MTV. Who were they focused on? DLR. That is what Eddie & Alex don't want. With Hagar in the band the focus is EDDIE and to a lesser degree Alex. That is what they want.

chefcraig
09-27-2004, 02:37 PM
All you really need to do is pick up a copy of Dave's book "Crazy From The Heat".

It's quite a compelling read in my opinion, and he talks frankly about the aborted reunion, recording the songs for the "Best of", and the MTV fiasco.

Having said that, essentially "thetruthbaby" truly nailed it in the above post.

...craig

TongueNGroove
09-27-2004, 02:38 PM
The whole thing blew up on MTV (or was it VH1) when VanHalen including dave came out on stage and Dave went into his "I'm a total fucking dickhead" routine. He proceeded to tell Eddie (Since Eddie had said something about his hip surgery) that "Tonight is not about you or your fucking hip, tonight is about ME!).

Well, after that Dave proceeded to make a fool of himself and everyone else who came on stage by standing in the background acting like a dork and trying to steal everyones spotlight.

So, to make a long story short, Dave was just being Dave and to be honest no one likes Dave the person cause he is an egotistical asshole. So he basically screwed himself out of being in VH for good.

Nitro Express
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
I blame Alex Van Halen and Ray Daniels. Oh Daniels would have loved to have a cut of the reunion money but Ray shoed his way into Van Halen through Alex.

I think with a pro Dave manager and Alex gone, Dave could have very well been in the band.

bueno bob
09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
According to the girl Ray Danniels was banging at the time (I knew her pretty well), the whole thing was set up before hand to grab some money and make Dave the scapegoat. Ray, Ed and Al knew full well that BOV1 wasn't going to sell too hot, so they approached Hagar about having David record some new songs on it. Hagar said "No", so Ed fired him.

Then Dave came in, because, as she put it, "It was a carrot dangling and David was the unfortunate rabbit". Then the MTV thing happened and Ray, Ed and Al decided that that was as good an opportunity to get rid of him and get Gary in as any (and Ray had apparently suggested Gary to them quite some time before, he was the leading of about 3-5 contenders)...they knew David would be hogging the spotlight that night and they took full advantage of it - it was the only reason they needed.

End result was that BOV1 sold like wildfire due to the 2 new tracks from David and VH Inc. didn't have to keep him around, either. According to her, the whole thing was set up and planned out months in advance, way before they even fired Hagar.

Whether her story is 100% accurate or not, I don't know, but it does seem pretty likely to me.

DlocRoth
09-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
The whole thing blew up on MTV (or was it VH1) when VanHalen including dave came out on stage and Dave went into his "I'm a total fucking dickhead" routine. He proceeded to tell Eddie (Since Eddie had said something about his hip surgery) that "Tonight is not about you or your fucking hip, tonight is about ME!).

Well, after that Dave proceeded to make a fool of himself and everyone else who came on stage by standing in the background acting like a dork and trying to steal everyones spotlight.

So, to make a long story short, Dave was just being Dave and to be honest no one likes Dave the person cause he is an egotistical asshole. So he basically screwed himself out of being in VH for good.

What a douche.

The very reasons you gave for Dave "screwing himself" outta the band are the very same ones that made VH the biggest band in the world. You know something else? It WAS about Dave.

I'm mot trying to say EVH isnt one of, if not the best hard rock guitarists ever, but dig this now. Does anybody really think Van Halen would have been any less popular in 1983 with say.... C C Deville as their slinger?

Dave making a "fool" of himself turned that band from good to great.

meanstreet
09-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Yep. It was the MTV backstage thang. IMO Dave shoulda eased into it a little more gracefully...if he had we'd all be seeing the real reunion

Matt White
09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
"Baby steps, Baby Steps".
EVH & SHEMP had ALREADY hired GARY CHERONE, and DAVE was just there to jump start sales of BOV1. Without, of course, telling him that they would be getting a BIGGER slice of the royalties then in the past. And DAVE would get less. Nice guys. After 11 years together, can't even be MEN and be upfront with DAVE. CLASS ACT those VAN HALEN SISTERS!!!!

FUCK YOU Van HAgar!!!!

lms2
09-28-2004, 11:48 AM
It's not Dave the PERSON that everyone hates, it's Dave the PERSONNA. Love him or hate him, or love to hate him, but everyone knows his name.

And yes, that is what made Van Halen great. That's also what is so hard to swallow about that whole deal. If you want to stand for whats good and right... stand alone over in the corner. It's ironical. Dave, plays the asshole, but really is a good guy, and the "good" guys are the assholes.

Bill Lumbergh
09-28-2004, 12:20 PM

You know you're right on the money. Hagar is a wonderful human being(for a lying, hateful, bloated moron). Oh, and by the way IT WAS ABOUT DAVE AND ALWAYS WILL BE WHEN IT COMES TO VH.

Bill Lumbergh
09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by meanstreet
Yep. It was the MTV backstage thang. IMO Dave shoulda eased into it a little more gracefully...if he had we'd all be seeing the real reunion

Why he would he tone anything down?! That wouldnt be Dave, now would it? Damn get a fucking clue, you obviously know nothing about Dave.

Switch84
09-28-2004, 12:25 PM
:( Only Davy Baby, Ed, Al and Mike know for sure what happened. All of this speculation is making my head hurt!

Whatever happened, we VH6 fans are the ones feeling the pain, not four, big-egoed rock stars......

Splooge
09-28-2004, 12:30 PM

Suck my dick!!

Nitro Express
09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
You would have thought Ray Daniels would have wanted Dave back in the band. The money promoters were offering had to be massive. I mean the band could negotiate some massive guarentees. Ray would have gotten a big cut of that not to mention merchandising. A new CD with Dave as singer would sell like a motherfucker.

Either Ray Daniels is stupid or it was apparent that there was no way in hell Alex was going to let Dave back in the band nomatter how persuasive Ray was. So plan B was a quick money grab and letting Dave be the fall guy.

Big Train
09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
The ironic thing is that on the night of the reunion, the PEOPLE WHO MATTER, THE FANS, ate it up. Even Beck who was "being disrespected" according to EVH, thought it was great. So Tongue N Groove, if he fucked himself out of the gig by giving the fans what they want, then that is a pretty shitty gig, doncha think?

diamondsgirl
09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
In 1996, when they walked out on stage together that night, the place erupted. Folks stood up and were yelling and screaming and applauding and giving the band, a standing ovation. Many of them pointing at Dave specifically.

Dave was 100% right in stopping and acknowledging what was happening. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that you don't ignore something like that. The other 3 just wanted to announce the winner and run off stage. No way, thats not Dave.

That was when Ed first got pissed, you can see him rolling his eyes like a friggin' wimp. I think he was just waiting for Dave to mess up and to him, that was it. Personally, I thought it was great.

Also cool when he announced Beck...BBBBBBBeck! Even Beck was stoked. Ed is such an ass.

Splooge
09-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
You would have thought Ray Daniels would have wanted Dave back in the band. The money promoters were offering had to be massive. I mean the band could negotiate some massive guarentees. Ray would have gotten a big cut of that not to mention merchandising. A new CD with Dave as singer would sell like a motherfucker.

Either Ray Daniels is stupid or it was apparent that there was no way in hell Alex was going to let Dave back in the band nomatter how persuasive Ray was. So plan B was a quick money grab and letting Dave be the fall guy.

Fak...yes I believe Daniels is the guy that was pushing for Dave,

that's why Spermy hates him so, and now the band says we were given

bad advice.

GAR
09-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Rhynster
What did DLR do that was so bad?

Ask for the deal in writing, what else?

Panamark
09-28-2004, 05:22 PM

Really ?? So you didnt know about Ga y Cheronie riding the baloney
pony ??

Fortunately we still ended up getting two songs from this, that were
far superior to anything Van Hagar had done across their whole tenure.

Rhynster
09-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fortunately we still ended up getting two songs from this, that were
far superior to anything Van Hagar had done across their whole tenure.

Hell, I'll drink to that.

RogueHorseman
09-29-2004, 12:54 AM
...So he basically screwed himself out of being in VH for good.

Except for the fact that Ed has tried to get him back in the band three times since, "Patrick who lives under rock".

darkknight
09-29-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't think Gary Cherone was in the picture at the time of the MTV debacle. It was Mitch Malloy or whatever his name was. In fact, I read an interview with him on the whole thing. He said the brothers had to fly to NY to present an award and didn't tell him anything else. As he was watching he sees Dave come out with them and he's totally floored. He talked to Ed about it and he acted like it was no big deal and he shouldn't be upset. He then told Ed there's no way he's going to be the guy to follow Dave after everyone got their hopes up, so he went home and told him to keep Dave in the band. The more I read from third parties the more sneaky and conieving the brothers seem to be. Even Sammy's bio talks some major trash about his split with them and it's very consistent with everyone's stories.

Matt White
09-29-2004, 01:18 AM
EVH & SHEMP Van Halen are a couple of WORTHLESS ASSHOLES. Plain and simple, just like THEM.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

RogueHorseman
09-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by darkknight
Even Sammy's bio talks some major trash about his split with them and it's very consistent with everyone's stories.

That is what always hit me too, how Dave and Sammy's stories verified each other...

bueno bob
09-29-2004, 02:09 PM
This is, again, according to the girl that Ray was banging at the time ( nice piece of ass there, Ray....THANK YOU :D ), but she told me that Gary was under consideration with two or three other people as a finalist. And, also, Alex didn't want David back in the band on a full time basis under any circumstances. Ray wanted money, period, and there was some discussion that a 3rd Van Halen singer would be accepted well and that there'd be a lot of curiousity and resulting record sales about it. Mostly, though, Ray wanted to do whatever Alex wanted to do and that was about the end of it...Ray, Ed amd Al were all in bed together at the time, and Triumphant Trio managed to run Van Halen into the ground with their brilliance.

So, if there's any truth to that, the "Bad Advice" that was given to them actually came from Alex himself :D

thepunisher
10-01-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm ashamed to say this but I've never seen the 1996 MTV footage. Oh believe me I've looked in the past. Anyone out there throw up a link to it?
Thanks.
VIVA ROTH!!!!

Terry
10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Cherone was already in the picture/had visited 5150 studios by the time the VMA's were held, by his own admission.

Ed was unhappy with Sammy not doing what Ed wanted him to (this is what Ed defines as "being a team player"), so Ed used that pretext to get him out of the band.

Shortly before the Father's Day phone call between Ed and Sam (where Ed told Sam he should go back to being a solo artist), Roth had contacted Ed about the upcoming BOV1 release. It was that phone call that immediately precipitated Sammy's ousting (though Ed was anxious to boot him long before Roth re-entered the picture). Ed was already working with Dave, unbeknownst to Sam, before Sam was asked to leave.

Took the reunited classic lineup some time to put together two tracks they all felt positive about (Alex says this was because Dave's voice was shot, although seems more likely it took a while for Dave to pick two songs that were worthy of the classic lineup getting back together [as in two tracks not ruined by Desmond Childs and his pussified power ballad lyrics] ).

Tracks were finished. Album slated to be released. No classics rehearsed during this period.

Between mid-August and the VMAs, Dave is asking if this reunion is going to include a tour, etc. Ed and Al both speak about it in ambiguous terms.

By the time the VMAs rolled around, Ed and Al had no intention of doing anything long-term with Dave, but the album wasn't released yet, hence the appearance of all four at said show (can't kill the golden goose before it lays the egg).

Roth's supposedly disrespectful behaviour at the awards show was used as an excuse to boot him from the band, and with the right spin Ed and Al thought they could come off not looking like assholes ("Dave hasn't changed", etc.)

Most telling quote from Ed in the whole debacle was
"Sammy and Dave both suffer from LSD, although Dave never lied".

Ed and Al wanted a quickie with Dave for the purpose of moving units of BOV1, probably thought he wouldn't go for it if he knew about it up fromt, so they bullshitted him.

Lo and behold, Gary is brought in from the shadows while Roth is still working with the band, mirroring the situation that surrounded Sammy's departure.

ULTRAMAN VH
10-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I heard Cherone was waiting in Japan for the DLR storm to blow over. Well it blew up in his face because the entire civilized world was ready for a Roth reunion, not VH 3. It's funny how the only people that had a problem with Dave's behavior at the VMA'S were the sister's. Even Chris Rock was on his feet cheering these guy's when they walked out on stage. It was an awesome moment and the sisters killed it.