PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Of The Stultocracy

ODShowtime
09-27-2004, 02:37 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ucru/20040923/cm_ucru/triumphofthestultocracy&e=1&ncid=748

TRIUMPH OF THE STULTOCRACY

By Ted Rall

NEW YORK--"Kerry doesn't know what the working-class people do; he hasn't done any physical labor all his life," Sharon Alfman, a 51-year-old cook in New Lexington, Ohio, told a New York Times reporter. It's true. Kerry is a rich boy. But then she added: "Bush's values are middle-class family values."

George W. Bush earned $727,000 last year. Estimates of his net worth range between $9 and $26 million. Middle class he most assuredly is not. Working class he never has been. Like fellow Skull and Bones member John Kerry (news - web sites), man of the people he never will be. But it matters that Sharon Altman thinks he is. Unless you too are a voter living in a swing state like Ohio, her vote counts more than yours.

Demonstrating that stupefying ignorance can be bipartisan, another Ohioan interviewed for the same article said she is against the war in Iraq (news - web sites) because, like 42 percent of her fellow Americans, she thinks Iraq was behind 9/11: "We shouldn't be over there building them back up because they didn't build our towers back up." She is wrong on so many levels that it makes my brain hurt.

Both women are entitled to their unawareness. We can't pass a law to force them to read the paper. But neither of these people ought to force their fellow citizens to suffer the consequences of their being so uninformed. Voting should be a privilege earned by an intellectually engaged citizen, not a right given to any adult with a pulse.

All men are created equal, declared the Founders. But as Alexis de Tocqueville wrote in "Democracy in America," universal suffrage counts upon the existence of a responsible, well-educated citizenry in order to result in political equality. If you give the vote to morons, you get the "tyranny of the masses"--a lumpen proletariat prone to manipulation by demagogues and fools--such as that which created chaos and bloodshed in post-revolutionary France. We're all equal at birth, but what we do later determines whether or not our opinions are worthwhile.

At this writing, the world's greatest nation flails under the rule of buffoons and madmen, bogged down in two optional wars we're actually losing. The world's richest economy is shedding jobs, running up debts and building nothing for the future. Voters, offered an election year alternative to the subliterate idiot who single-handedly created this mess, spurn him for a leader even dumber than they are. America has become a stultocracy: government by morons, for morons.

A 2002 poll found that 64 percent of Americans--people whose votes help determine how much you pay in taxes--could not name a single Supreme Court justice. In 2003, 58 percent--people whose votes could elect someone who starts a nuclear war--couldn't identify a single department of the president's cabinet. Voters aged 18 to 24, whose recent schooling ought to inspire confidence in their knowledge of basic facts, are especially ignorant. National Geographic says that 85 percent of young American adults can't find Afghanistan, Iraq or Israel on a map.

The fact that these yahoos are allowed to vote is an abomination. Their ill-considered ballots cancel or dilute those cast by those who do the heavy lifting that makes them good citizens: keeping abreast of current events, researching issues, studying candidates' positions.

In the Old South, literacy tests were used to disenfranchise blacks. Alternatively, a basic political literacy test should be used to ensure that anyone who picks ESPN over CNN--regardless of race or creed--stays home on Election Day. Prospective voters should be required to answer at least three of the following questions correctly; to give people a fair shot, the test should be published in newspapers a week before an election:

1. Who is the vice president?

2. What is your state capital?

3. Name one of the following: your governor, congressman or one senator.

4. What is the capital of the United States?

5. Name one federal cabinet-level department.

Of course, such a political literacy test would drastically reduce voter turnout. On the other hand, those who pass could take comfort in knowing that they're not competing against the 60 percent of Americans who think we've found Iraq's imaginary WMDs, or the 22 percent who "believe" that Saddam Hussein used such weapons against U.S. troops during the 2003 invasion.

ODShowtime
09-27-2004, 02:39 PM
I've been alluding to this recently, so this peice fits my agenda nicely. Yes I know it's op/ed.

Anyone else agree that Bush definitely gets a benefit from all the really moronic people out there?

Big Train
09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
No more than Kerry...BTW it is VERY elitist to say people on the Kerry side are so smart, while Bush supporters are abject retards...kinda makes it hard to take you seriously. Just say you like your candidate, no reason to insult the opposition like that..

ODShowtime
09-27-2004, 03:36 PM
I meant to shed light on stupidity as a whole. There are plenty of stupid Democrats too. Millions of them.

But, from my point of view, stupidity in general is definitely benefiting Bush right now. I think that's true of incumbents in general.

And there are plenty of smart but mis-led Bsuh supporters.

Big Train
09-27-2004, 04:45 PM
I bite my tongue

ELVIS
09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree with the test...

ODShowtime
09-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I agree with the test...

as horrible and indefensible as it sounds, it might produce better leadership overall.

at least politicians wouldn't be pre-occupied with constantly lying while sounding like they are telling the truth.

wraytw
09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
It's obvious that we aren't electing the best we have to offer. But, I don't really see how this could change that. A good solid Campaign Finance Reform with no outlandish loopholes would be much more effective.

FORD
09-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Stupid Democrats are the reason Kerry is the nominee, I'll agree with that much. They bought the "electability" lie, and didn't look beyond that.

But anyone who would vote for Junior after failure after failure is simply MORONIC.

It's not just the last 3 1/2 years. George Bush Jr has failed at everything he has done in his entire adult life. Dick Cheney has as well. The track records are out there. I couldn't make up this combined list of FUCKUPS even if I tried! As long as Junior was just bankrupting himself or his billionaire friends, few would or should care. But once he did so to the state of Texas, he should have been cut off. And now that he has placed this entire country in jeopardy, he MUST be stopped.

ODShowtime
09-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by wraytw
It's obvious that we aren't electing the best we have to offer. But, I don't really see how this could change that. A good solid Campaign Finance Reform with no outlandish loopholes would be much more effective.

I agree 100% with this statement.

ODShowtime
11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
congratulations everybody! :)

Nickdfresh
11-03-2004, 02:25 PM
No Child Left Behind!:rolleyes: :bottle:

DaveIsKing
11-03-2004, 02:27 PM
WHAT IS THIS? THE LIBERAL WHINERS CONVENTION?

YOU FUCKING PUSSIES HAD RATHER GO SUCK OFF YOUR "LIFE PARTNER" OR CHUCK SOME METAL IN A BABIES' HEAD THAN KILL A TYRANT.

LIBERALS. CAN'T LIVE WITH 'EM, CAN'T KILL 'EM. -- THIS IS HELL.

Nickdfresh
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey Daveisking, go ponder the love of "Hairy Men's Asses" some more...Okay? The adults are talking here.

Nickdfresh
11-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Ford, your avatar is scaring the shit out of me.

DaveIsKing
11-03-2004, 02:33 PM
THE ADULTS? HAHAHAHAHAHA

HOW CAN THE WORD "ADULT" BE APPLIED TO A LIBERAL? HMMMM...

ADULTS NORMALLY DON'T GO AROUND CRYING AND WHINING ABOUT L-O-S-I-N-G.

GORE LOSERS.

DaveIsKing
11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
FORD, YOUR AVATAR RULES.

BUSH BEAT YOU PUSSIES, ONCE AGAIN. AFTER ALL YOUR MEDIA HYPE.

GOD, I LOVE IT WHEN LIBERALS EAT CROW...WHICH IS ALL THE TIME.

FORD
11-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Ford, your avatar is scaring the shit out of me.

It should. And that picture is NOT Photoshopped either.

Ally_Kat
11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
It should. And that picture is NOT Photoshopped either.

really? Cuz the arm looks funny.

DaveIsKing
11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
I LOVE IT. YEAH!!!!

ODShowtime
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
WHAT IS THIS? THE LIBERAL WHINERS CONVENTION?

YOU FUCKING PUSSIES HAD RATHER GO SUCK OFF YOUR "LIFE PARTNER" OR CHUCK SOME METAL IN A BABIES' HEAD THAN KILL A TYRANT.

LIBERALS. CAN'T LIVE WITH 'EM, CAN'T KILL 'EM. -- THIS IS HELL.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Sorry if this article hit a little close to home for you.

DaveIsKing
11-03-2004, 02:54 PM
HURT MY FEELINGS?

I WON. YOU LOST. GAME OVER.

BUSH IS YOUR GOD AND MASTER.