• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scorpioboy33
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

computer recording software

Hi Yah,
    Wondering if any of you guys could assist me with suggesting some software thats easy to use.
    Thanks ALot,
    Bill
  • sambo
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

I use Pro Tools software and either a M-Box or Digi 002 I/O. Pro Tools took me a little bit to get used to, coming from an analog background, but it is very logical and well thought out recording software. If starting out, you can also get some very good books/manuals on Pro Tools to get a little deeper into some of the intricacies of the program. Pro Tools can do quite a lot...
    Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• scorpioboy33
      Commando
      • Jul 2004

thanks alot

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

What about Cakewalk Sambo ??
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• scorpioboy33
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

whats cakewalk?

Comment

• Figs
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

I got "Cool Edit" with my Echo-Gina soundcard. I think it's pretty good, although Cakewalk and ProTools are more well known. I mostly record direct using the effects from my POD, so Cool Edit works good enough for my screwing around.

Comment

• sambo
              Sniper
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
              What about Cakewalk Sambo ??
              Never used it...any good? My previous singer/guitarist used Pro Tools so I kinda got hooked on it...and he made it look really easy. Our old bassist was a Cubase fan but never really got into that either...

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

I got Cubase....it's a'ight. Hell anything that's out these days is better than what I used to record with, i.e. a Tascam PortaOne 4 track. I remember how they used to tell you to bounce tracks and what not on the old 4-tracks, and you always lost an assload of sound quality on the bounced ones. These days it is SO simple, and no loss of quality...no fucking with cassette tapes, effects plug ins out the ass. We have recording capabilities on average computers now that would have made the big studios in the 80's jealous.

I'll tell you what I don't have a lot of, and that is good quality microphones. I've got the SM57 and 58 covered, as all guitarists should, but I'm talking about vocal mics like a Neuman U47 or a CAD or whatever. Of course I don't sing, and mainly do instrumental shit, but I'd still like to have that ability to record a great vocal.

Comment

• sambo
                  Sniper
                  • Jun 2004

I know what you mean about the Tascam. I used to record on an old Tascam 244 - my first 4 track. Recording guitars, you needed to be an octopus to do it all yourself - I don't miss that. It did have a great EQ though, and for that reason I still have it.

I have a Porta 01 that I keep handy for ideas etc. It's just easy to plug in and record a riff whilst sitting in your loungeroom.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sambo
                    Never used it...any good? My previous singer/guitarist used Pro Tools so I kinda got hooked on it...and he made it look really easy. Our old bassist was a Cubase fan but never really got into that either...
                    Nah ! I havent used it all, just read a lot of references to it.
                    I was hoping you knew about it, is Cubase a cakewalk product,
                    I wonder ????
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sambo
                      Sniper
                      • Jun 2004

no mate, different software

One of my mates loves Cubase but he is more of a keyboard player as opposed to a guitar player. The following may be of interest.

Cubase
                      The page you’re looking for can’t be found. The link is broken or the page has been moved.

Cakewalk

Pro Tools

Free version of Pro Tools to try

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Onya Sambo !

Thats sorting the wheat from the chaff

I was actually thinking of buying one of those
                        Zoom multitrack hard disk recorders, you think
                        Pro Tools is a cheaper/better option ??
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• pete
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

I use Pro Tools software and either a M-Box or Digi 002 I/O. Pro Tools took me a little bit to get used to, coming from an analog background, but it is very logical and well thought out recording software. If starting out, you can also get some very good books/manuals on Pro Tools to get a little deeper into some of the intricacies of the program. Pro Tools can do quite a lot...
                          I use ProTools and it is the best. If you want a program that doesn't require hardware (protools does). Cool Edit Pro is good. can record up to 64 tracks. There is a program out called NUENDO. It is VERY similar to protools, has built in, real time effects and supports midi too. I hear it's good and you will get close to pro sound.

Also don't scrimp on the mic's. get good mics. spend a grand. I spent 14 grand. It's the difference between recorded sound, and thinking someone is singing or playing right next to you.

Good luck with recording.

I live for it.

Comment

• pete
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Free version of Pro Tools to try
                            http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
                            will not work on windows 2000, NT, XP

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Whats your favourite mic's for guitar and vocals, Pete, Im guessing,
                              Shure's.. What models ?
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...