PDA

View Full Version : Mikey:

kcmusician
09-30-2004, 05:59 AM
I think some of us give Mikey too much shit, I mean come on.... I don't think it really matters to him who is singing for the band, this cat just likes to play live and make music.... A true musician if you will.

I can honestly say that if I were him, I'd still be there too....

Just my 2 cents:

Shaun

ZahZoo
09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
I agree Mike's a cool dude...

meanstreet
09-30-2004, 01:25 PM
"I pity da fool who doesn't like me!"

Switch84
09-30-2004, 01:32 PM
:confused: Yeah, Mikey likes to play, I can dig that. My question is why does he seem so suck ass-ish to the VH brothers? Does he really need them that much?

kcmusician
09-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:confused: Yeah, Mikey likes to play, I can dig that. My question is why does he seem so suck ass-ish to the VH brothers? Does he really need them that much?

I don't think he needs them really.... But I don't think he's a push over like we all think he is either.... He went on tour with Dave and Sam, and that pissed VH off. But then again he could be.

Shaun

ZahZoo
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Switch I honestly don't think Michael is suck-ass to the brothers... As kc mentioned that perception is just something that was cooked up on the VH boards. One thing I noticed and kept in check when I was in bands was you can only fit so much ego in a room... even in an arena for that matter. Some musicians are just true to their trade and don't get caught up in the drama and soap opera. IMO Mike's had a great gig for the last 30 years... making music and touring the world. Does that say he needs the brothers?? Or is that just Mike's life??

I'd say the later...

Warham
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM

lms2
09-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Say what you will about Mikey, he don't care. He's happy.

But I bet he wants Roth back.

BARE BONE
09-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Nice Warham. Here's a long over due vote.

Warham
09-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Back at ya BARE BONE.

:D

BARE BONE
09-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Mike doesn't want Roth back.He told the sister's he won't come back if Roth was. Fuck him. He's into his butt buddy Spammy, not the sister's or Van Halen.He's had a easy ride in Van halen. Besides back up vocals he's useless.

Warham
09-30-2004, 06:25 PM

monkeythe
09-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Mikey is the luckiest person in the history of rock-n-roll. The reason he stays with these jokers is because he will never get a gig that pays so much and he is too untalented to da anything solo.

kcmusician
09-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Whatever, Mike has some killer chops on bass.... He's not about the flash, he's about being in the pocket. Say what you will about him, but if any of you were offered his life, I'll bet you'd jump at the chance.

Shaun

BIG GOOSE
10-01-2004, 03:42 AM
This is true.

Panamark
10-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Hell yeah !! Who wouldnt want to be Ringo or Mike ???

I read an interview with several of Mike's family members
several years ago (including his father).
They all dissed Dave terribly. Where are they getting their
way of thinking from ???
Mike, of course.

LMS, he didnt want Dave back. He wanted
Spammy. Mike himself would tell you this..

His backing vocals are an integral part of the early Van Halen
sound, so I have to give the guy kudos for that.
Thats where it stops..

Bass playing ability ?? Is there anyone on this board that
cant play BASS as good as Mikey ???

Apologies to the good bass players, who can actually play.

Cliff Burton !!!! Now there was a dude that could play.
Mikey was not even a pimple on Cliff's ass..
How about Stu Hamm ????

Fuck off Mikey, Spammy is waiting in the hot tub with
a bucket of fried chicken and an anxious mangina !!

Get to work, boy !!

Golden AWe
10-01-2004, 05:01 PM
who's mikey?

kcmusician
10-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
Mike doesn't want Roth back.He told the sister's he won't come back if Roth was. Fuck him. He's into his butt buddy Spammy, not the sister's or Van Halen.He's had a easy ride in Van halen. Besides back up vocals he's useless.

When did he say that? He's never really said anything bad about Dave or anyone else... To my knowledge.

Shaun

lms2
10-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

I read an interview with several of Mike's family members
several years ago (including his father).
They all dissed Dave terribly. Where are they getting their
way of thinking from ???
Mike, of course.

LMS, he didnt want Dave back. He wanted
Spammy. Mike himself would tell you this..

Sorry for this late reply Panamark. I didn't actually see it until today.

I am sure that for as long as Mike and Dave were with the band together, that Mike's family had ample opportunity to get to know Dave and form their own opinion? Dave was not always easy to get along with from what I hear... and the band had a few rules that might have been hard to live with, or hard for the families to understand.

If Mike himself told me that he did not want Dave back... I would tell him its not about what he wants... DUH. Do you really think he is that spoiled? I think he knows its not about him.

Of all the band members, Mike is the one who is just happy to go out and play... with Sam, with Dave, with Gary,... Mike would have played with Dave same as he has played with Spam... its Dave that wanted nothing to do with Mike unless Ed and Al were involved.

There is hope, where you allow it to grow.

kcmusician
10-27-2004, 01:14 AM
True dat!!!!

EDDIEVRULZ
10-27-2004, 02:16 AM
met him at NAMM a few years ago. a stand-up guy. very cool. and you all might be surprised as to how good he really is on bass. played some really good jazz when i saw him

Halen High
10-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Michael Anthony 6 August 1996 Dutch 5150 Fan Club Interview.

Some highlights:

When asked about why the band was working with Dave again:

"A lot of people were surprised by that. Actually, I was the last person in the band to accept the fact that this would happen. Eddie was the one that wanted to do it."

"I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him. But I'm in Van Halen and Eddie and Alex are my brothers. And if they wanted to do it I would do it."

"Personally, I have never patched up my old feelings towards Dave. In fact I told Eddie and Alex that I would not tour with him again. But who knows. I'm not the kind of person...I'm not a hateful person."

While Mike might not have much say in whether or not Dave comes back, his attitude certainly hasn't helped. Come on Mike, get over it.
Dave's the reason you're living in that big house.

Of course a lot has happened since then. I wonder if Mikey still feels the same sense of loyalty to the brothers as he did then?

kcmusician
10-27-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
Michael Anthony 6 August 1996 Dutch 5150 Fan Club Interview.

Some highlights:

When asked about why the band was working with Dave again:

"A lot of people were surprised by that. Actually, I was the last person in the band to accept the fact that this would happen. Eddie was the one that wanted to do it."

"I told them I didn't want to work with Dave and I wouldn't wanna tour with him. But I'm in Van Halen and Eddie and Alex are my brothers. And if they wanted to do it I would do it."

"Personally, I have never patched up my old feelings towards Dave. In fact I told Eddie and Alex that I would not tour with him again. But who knows. I'm not the kind of person...I'm not a hateful person."

While Mike might not have much say in whether or not Dave comes back, his attitude certainly hasn't helped. Come on Mike, get over it.
Dave's the reason you're living in that big house.

Of course a lot has happened since then. I wonder if Mikey still feels the same sense of loyalty to the brothers as he did then?

I really don't think he does.... I mean, he toured with Sam solo and had no contact with the brother for like 2 years.... He was so nowhere in site that Eddie recorded the bass parts to the three new songs. But in all honestly, who knows? I mean he doesn't have to love Dave to tour with him and make more music.

Shaun

Panamark
10-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by lms2
Sorry for this late reply Panamark. I didn't actually see it until today.

I am sure that for as long as Mike and Dave were with the band together, that Mike's family had ample opportunity to get to know Dave and form their own opinion? Dave was not always easy to get along with from what I hear... and the band had a few rules that might have been hard to live with, or hard for the families to understand.

If Mike himself told me that he did not want Dave back... I would tell him its not about what he wants... DUH. Do you really think he is that spoiled? I think he knows its not about him.

Of all the band members, Mike is the one who is just happy to go out and play... with Sam, with Dave, with Gary,... Mike would have played with Dave same as he has played with Spam... its Dave that wanted nothing to do with Mike unless Ed and Al were involved.

There is hope, where you allow it to grow.

Mike was the orchestrator of this current Van Hagar shit. He courted Sammy to the point where he could talk with Alice again.

Fuck him.

He obviously prefers his own anal chum happiness over the
concerns of the millions of fans that made his ass so fat
and attractive to Spammy in the first place..

Mike prefers Mikes happiness over the original fans.

To me, that equals fuck you, so fuck you Mikey !

Halen High
10-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Mike was the orchestrator of this current Van Hagar shit. He courted Sammy to the point where he could talk with Alice again.

Fuck him.

He obviously prefers his own anal chum happiness over the
concerns of the millions of fans that made his ass so fat
and attractive to Spammy in the first place..

Mike prefers Mikes happiness over the original fans.

To me, that equals fuck you, so fuck you Mikey !

I've always thought Mike must have had a big hand in making this years nightmare come true. Simply because he's always hanging out with Sammy.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Sammy say early this year the brothers didn't want to include Mike in this reunion, and he told them he wouldn't do it unless they did? So who knows. It seems logical that Mike helped orchestrate it, but if they were not on speaking terms with him then he couldn't have had that much influence. Sure I read that somewhere. Anyone?

Halen High
10-27-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
I really don't think he does.... I mean, he toured with Sam solo and had no contact with the brother for like 2 years.... He was so nowhere in site that Eddie recorded the bass parts to the three new songs. But in all honestly, who knows? I mean he doesn't have to love Dave to tour with him and make more music.

Shaun

Yes, I'm sure Mike's opinion of the brothers has changed. He might even feel some empathy with Dave now.

Not letting him work on those three new songs is such a public slap in the face for someone whose been so loyal to them.

Then again, at least he can say he had no part in them.

Panamark
10-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
I've always thought Mike must have had a big hand in making this years nightmare come true. Simply because he's always hanging out with Sammy.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Sammy say early this year the brothers didn't want to include Mike in this reunion, and he told them he wouldn't do it unless they did? So who knows. It seems logical that Mike helped orchestrate it, but if they were not on speaking terms with him then he couldn't have had that much influence. Sure I read that somewhere. Anyone?

Yeah, I do recall something along those lines, now that you mention it. Probably just Hagar trying to big note himself as per usual.

ZahZoo
10-27-2004, 09:32 AM
IMO I don't think Michael orchestrated anything with the hook up of Spammy and the brothers... Hell Mikey was 2+ years into a complete separation and the brothers had already written him off... Why? Beat's the fuck out of me other than the general psychosis with those Dutch bastards.

Mike was really the only one outside of Dave that kept the fires Van Halen burning through the "Hiatus" period. Dave held up his end and fired some new life into the legacy and Mikey basically did enough appearances and fan interaction to keep what was left on life support. Which is all he could really do... without Ed or Dave his role basically was that of a Ringo... mostly in name and only a supporting role musically... yet a critical component of the real deal when you realy boil it down.

If there was any role in orchestrating the comeback of the Cheddar rocker it was just Mike keeping the friendship alive and his willingness to gueat slot w/ Spammy that made Ole Fat Ass remember what a big time deal he was missing since bailing on Van Hagar... enough so that he picked up the phone and started throwing Olive Branches at the brothers and gave the lazy bastards a reason to get their sorry asses out of the house and scrape up a couple of millions with the tour. He showed them how to sell a few striped guitars, stomp boxes, Hot Sauce and T-Shirts so that when this deal implodes they can still sit back on thier lazy asses and keep the money flowing without making any music. Michael is a business man... and a pretty damn good one at that when you look at his success over the last 30 years...

walterswoodman
04-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I would love to tell Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14 Yrs.!!!!!!!!!!

katie
04-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
Whatever, Mike has some killer chops on bass.... He's not about the flash, he's about being in the pocket. Say what you will about him, but if any of you were offered his life, I'll bet you'd jump at the chance.

Shaun

What a load of fucking horse SHIT!
He is an adverage bass player at best!
and this thread is about Him not you, me or anyone else!

What a fucking retard!

lafours
04-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Mikey is the luckiest person in the history of rock-n-roll. The reason he stays with these jokers is because he will never get a gig that pays so much and he is too untalented to da anything solo.

nah...that honor would have to go to Peter Criss...probobly the most overpayed shitty musician in Rock and Roll....

Just the fact that Mike went on tour with the Red Cheesehead shows that even he got fed up with the sisters and there bullshit after a while.... Mike has enough friends in the industry and a reputation as a nice guy he could be playing steady with Spammy, Neal Schon etc. And he is a decent straight forward basssist and backup vocalist.

TOM_5150
04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
1st off, Mike is a damn good bass player. Just check out his licks on 1984 (especially Girl Gone Bad), Fair Warning, and F.U.C.K.. and you'll see. Watch the live video for "So This Is Love?"....he be grooving. I don't know where he stands with Dave, but if Ed and Al reconvened with Roth, Mikey's fat ass would be there in a second. What is the alternative......tour w/ Spammy in Cabo with his bar band?

Warham
04-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Mike's better than people give him credit for, but among true bass playing gods, he's pedestrian.

DrMaddVibe
04-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by BARE BONE

Fuckin' A, B and C too!

That's the money shot with regards to Bassplayer. He's been allowed to hang on because he knows he brings nothing to the table and creates very little waves for the sisters.

Anyone that wants to defend him take note...What song did he write for any Van Halen/Hagar album? Besides his mimicking background vocals and his open E string ability on the bass he's been allowed to cash a paycheck on the VH payroll.

He knows he blows too, otherwise there would've been a host of bands wanting to hook up with besides Spammy.

DlocRoth
04-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Exactamundo.

Terry
04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
In terms of authenticity, Mike would have to be there along with the sisters and Dave to call it a proper CVH reunion, but it wouldn't bother me if he wasn't.
He does get ragged on for his lack of technical prowess on bass. Sure, the guy is capable of more than what he did on the intro to Running With The Devil, but "killer chops"? If so, he's kept them hidden well.
His voice was placed at the proper volume in the mixing of the CVH catalog, but live he was turned up way too loud and his nuts-in-a-vise warble could be every bit as annoying as Hagar's, even back in the day.
Do agree that Mike palling around with Hagar post-1999 probably helped facilitate Hagar's reentry back into Halen in 2004, but despite what Mike said in 1996, it's really up to the sisters who fronts the band. If they had decided to stick with Roth instead of go with Cherone in 1996, Anthony would have went along too, grinning all the way. And if the sisters decided to go with Dave in 2004, Anthony would have jumped at the opportunity to come along then, too. To think he was gonna say no to that is just as erroneous as believing his preferences for who sings in Van Halen have anything beyond an at best slight influence to who actually gets the job.

Antonella
04-12-2005, 04:01 PM
i think mikey is horrible. on the albums, his back up vocals sounded all right....but the live footage ive seen of CVH n mikey singing back up....holy fucken annoying!!!!! He fucken kills the songs man....hes a CHEEZER like SAMMY...shitty bass player, but the way he played worked for CVH....and hes just in it still cuz he needs the money....hes the guy in the band that everyone makes fun of....watching that Largo show of Diver Down in 82, when he has his solo....wow!!! What a loser!!! Gaylord at best...I felt embarrassed for him watching that! When he puts the cowboy hat on??/ Camon man...gimme a break....the rest of the guys were probably shitting their pants laughing while fatso was doing his solo....."look...hes actually doing it...he put on the HAT!!!....yeeeeah mikey u sack o' shit....whaata guy!!!...muhuhwuwhuahwshahaha"....if he had any sense, he'd want Dave back...but clearly from that interview hes just as stupid as the sisters.....

:moon:

Warham
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I like how Dave always refers to Anthony as The Bass PlayerŽ.

academic punk
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Antonella
i think mikey is horrible. on the albums, his back up vocals sounded all right....but the live footage ive seen of CVH n mikey singing back up....holy fucken annoying!!!!! He fucken kills the songs man....hes a CHEEZER like SAMMY...shitty bass player, but the way he played worked for CVH....and hes just in it still cuz he needs the money....hes the guy in the band that everyone makes fun of....watching that Largo show of Diver Down in 82, when he has his solo....wow!!! What a loser!!! Gaylord at best...I felt embarrassed for him watching that! When he puts the cowboy hat on??/ Camon man...gimme a break....the rest of the guys were probably shitting their pants laughing while fatso was doing his solo....."look...hes actually doing it...he put on the HAT!!!....yeeeeah mikey u sack o' shit....whaata guy!!!...muhuhwuwhuahwshahaha"....if he had any sense, he'd want Dave back...but clearly from that interview hes just as stupid as the sisters.....

:moon:

I love this girl.

(I'm talking about Antonella, not Mikey)

Antonella
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

franksters
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
mikey or ''chipmunk face''

doesn't he look like one...???

hi Antonella, how are those dvd goin'?

you got my no hold's bbq don't you?

VHdamaco
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
hes still the integral part of the band nonetheless...

him and alex were the overshadowed ones in the band, dave and eddie where the ones who got the attention. i got money that says if there were anyone else playing bass in that band with half an ego, we don't have half the great music we got from cvh.

katy, don't attack the man because he wants to give an opinion.