• Show
Clear All
  • Ga y Cherone
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Jul 2004

Gene Simmons backs up claim why Hagar VH was better

More from genesimmons.com:

More Gene...

"Gene said "You're wrong. Although I prefer the Roth era VH, the fans voted for the Hagar VH version. With Hagar, they became twice as big."

and...

Response from Gene:

"Sales per album go to Hagar. Ticket sales for concerts go to Hagar. I'm right."

I mean, who's gonna gonna argue with Gene?:confused:
  • Carmine Raguzza
    Groupie
    • Sep 2004

The Golden Gloves Champion of Milwaukee thats who! Bring it on Gene!
    " You know I go from rags to riches"

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

I will. Gene needs to check his numbers again, because he doesn't know shit from shinola. Roth era VH has outsold Van Hagar - the numbers are there, it doesn't take a fucking genius to figure it out.

Then again, nobody's ever accused Gene Simmons of being a genius...nor have they accused him of actually having two bits worth of brains...if he had either, Kiss would have DIED MERCIFULLY long, long ago...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Sarge
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Sammy probably told him that he has sold 100 million more albums than ROTH
        ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
        The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
        [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Figs
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

He just doesn't feel like looking it up. VH's official website shows all the album sales.

5 Van Hagar albums (including a live album w/Roth tunes) - 18 million
          VH1 and 1984 - 20 million with the first album getting minimal airplay (at first)

I like Gene & Paul - even though they do and say a lot of bullshit
          I like Eddie & Fredo - even though they do and say a lot of bullshit

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
            Head Fluffer
            • Jun 2004

SIMMONS IS SIMPLY WRONG

I'm a Kiss fan but Gene is wrong. The RIAA lists VH's album sales for everyone to see. If you add them up you'll see. ROTH 34 MILLION, Hagar 18 million. End of story.
            DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• Ga y Cherone
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jul 2004

How do Gene and Sammy come up with their numbers pertaining to album sales? They state their claims like it's fact.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Gene may be a successful business man, but who says he can count numbers??

That's why he has an accountant.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kelly
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2004

Even if Van Hagar did outsell Roth era Van Halen, how would that make them better? If better is determined by record sales then isn't N'Sync better than them both? (I have no idea about the volume of sales, by the way, and don't care).

I would judge "better" by quality of songs and Roth era wins hands down there!

Of course, Gene Simmons probably would define better as record sales, so there ya go.

Comment

• BackInAction
                    Groupie
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ga y Cherone
                    How do Gene and Sammy come up with their numbers pertaining to album sales? They state their claims like it's fact.
                    He may take into consideration that the "Roth era" albums have been on sale for a much longer time that the "Hagar" stuff. And the fact that people loose shit and buy something again...and again. And that there were no CD's originally for the roth albums, so people bought the CD when it was avalible...and the remasters...

It's kinda logical that the albums that have been on sale for many more years would outsell those that have been on sale for half the time.

I'd like to see how may roth albums were sold from day one up to the split. I think it would be a much more fair comparison.

Oh, and none of the numbers on RIAA or VH's website count overseas sales, which were huge for both eras, especially the hagar stuff.

Comment

• Roth & Roll
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                      Then again, nobody's ever accused Gene Simmons of being a genius...nor have they accused him of actually having two bits worth of brains
                      LOL! No shit!
                      Anyone who watched him blow the $100 question on "Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" after bragging to Regis about being a teacher before joining KISS can attest to the fact that Gene is a dumbass.
                      http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kelly
                        Even if Van Hagar did outsell Roth era Van Halen, how would that make them better? If better is determined by record sales then isn't N'Sync better than them both? (I have no idea about the volume of sales, by the way, and don't care).

I would judge "better" by quality of songs and Roth era wins hands down there!

Of course, Gene Simmons probably would define better as record sales, so there ya go.
                        Classic Van Halen fans have both record sales and the quality of music on their side in what is basically a non-argument in terms of classic Van Halen vs. the two other versions.

Simmons is clearly ignorant of the facts.

End of story.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jun 2004

ARGUMENT DOESN'T HOLD GROUND

The whole switching to CD from vinyl or cassette doesn't really hold much ground either since CD's didn't become the largest way to deliver music to consumers until around 1990. Throughout the 80's (EVEN 88' & 89') cassettes were still VERY popular so 5150 & OU812 BOTH benefitted from re-purchase over the years and since 5150 is VHagar's biggest selling album it's stupid to act like only the Roth era albums were re-purchased. I always go by this---- in its first year and a half of release 1984 sold well over 5 MILLION copies whereas 5150 only sold a little over 3 million copies. Now as of 2004 1984 has sold 10 MILLION and 5150 only 6 million. VHALEN were at their peak with ROTH. This can not be debated if you just look at the numbers.
                          DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• BackInAction
                            Groupie
                            • Jun 2004

Re: ARGUMENT DOESN'T HOLD GROUND

Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
                            The whole switching to CD from vinyl or cassette doesn't really hold much ground either since CD's didn't become the largest way to deliver music to consumers until around 1990. Throughout the 80's (EVEN 88' & 89') cassettes were still VERY popular so 5150 & OU812 BOTH benefitted from re-purchase over the years and since 5150 is VHagar's biggest selling album it's stupid to act like only the Roth era albums were re-purchased. I always go by this---- in its first year and a half of release 1984 sold well over 5 MILLION copies whereas 5150 only sold a little over 3 million copies. Now as of 2004 1984 has sold 10 MILLION and 5150 only 6 million. VHALEN were at their peak with ROTH. This can not be debated if you just look at the numbers.
                            So...you base your point on sales of just 2 albums and I'm looking at the whole picture...and MY argument doesn't hold ground? WTF?

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jun 2004

READ THE POST IDIOT

Yes you're a moron if you think that VHagar didn't benefit significantly from re-purchases. It's all in my post, the numbers don't lie. VH were at their sales peak with ROTH and they NEVER reached that plateau again. Learn to live with it dufus. They lost almost half of the sales they enjoyed when 5150 came out. And 5150 & OU812 are the 2 biggest selling albums of the VHagar catalog and both benefited significantly from re-purchase. Game Over, thanks for playing.
                              DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

Working...