PDA

View Full Version : DLR Biography

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:05 AM
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:David%20Lee%20Roth:1927004579:page=biography

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:06 AM
In the eyes of countless hard rock fans, David Lee Roth is the prototypical frontman. With a flamboyant, larger-than-life stage presence and a party hearty/surfer dude persona (not to mention his acrobatic leaps, long mane of blond hair, and skintight spandex outfits), Roth was an integral part of Van Halen's meteoric rise to global dominance from 1978 through 1984. Born on October 10, 1955, in Bloomington, IN, Roth was introduced to music at an early age, via his father's affinity for Al Jolson, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, and Louis Prima. By the dawn of his teenage years, his family had relocated to California, and by the early '70s, Roth had become a major rock fan (Led Zeppelin, Black Oak Arkansas, Grand Funk, ZZ Top, Alice Cooper, etc.). Roth was soon singing in local bands, including the Red Ball Jets, who would play shows along with another up-and-coming rock band from Pasadena, CA -- Mammoth. The members of Mammoth, which included brothers Eddie (guitar) and Alex (drums) Van Halen, would often borrow Roth's PA system for their gigs, and a friendship was struck up. Soonafter, Roth was asked to join forces with the Van Halen brothers, who had enlisted a new bassist as well, Michael Anthony. The new quartet decided on a name change by the mid-'70s as they played the Sunset Strip -- Van Halen (reportedly Roth's idea). By 1977, the quartet was signed to Warner Bros, and 1978 saw the release of their landmark self-titled debut, one of rock's all-time great recordings. Mixing heavy metal riffs with punk's fury, Van Halen was onto a whole new sound, which resulted in the band taking the world by storm. The band issued a string of classic mega-selling albums (1979's Van Halen II, 1980's Women Children First, 1981's Fair Warning, 1982's Diver Down, and two years later, 1984), while becoming a major arena-headlining concert draw in the process.

Just as the group had hit their peak and appeared they could do no wrong, Roth issued a four-track solo EP in 1985, Crazy From the Heat, with rumors swirling that the group was bickering behind the scenes and that the singer was going to make a major motion picture. Still, it was a shock to rock fans everywhere when Roth left Van Halen later that year (Van Halen would soldier on with Sammy Hagar filling Roth's spot) -- leading to a war of words in the press. When his plans for the movie proved to be a bust, Roth immediately formed a top-notch solo band, consisting of ex-Talas bassist Billy Sheehan (often called "the Eddie Van Halen of bass"), ex-Frank Zappa guitarist Steve Vai, and ex-Maynard Ferguson drummer Gregg Bissonette. In 1986, Roth issued his first full-length solo effort, Eat Em Smile, which was another hit and gave way to another sold-out tour. Roth had also become a master of creating hilarious and highly original music videos (featuring a wide assortment of wacky characters), especially Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher," and Roth's solo clips "California Girls," "Just a Gigolo," "Yankee Rose," and "Goin' Crazy." But while Roth's new solo band seemed to be on their way to a very promising future, the lineup began to splinter with each subsequent release (1988's Skyscraper, 1991's A Little Ain't Enough), until Roth was the only remaining member. With interest waning, Roth attempted to branch out musically on his experimental 1994 release, Your Filthy Little Mouth (produced by Nile Rodgers), but it was met with a cool reception, as was his attempt to break into the Vegas circuit around the same time.

By 1996, Van Halen had parted ways with Hagar, leading to an onslaught of rumors that a Roth/Van Halen reunion was in the works. The rumor appeared to become reality on September 4, 1996, when Van Halen and Roth appeared together at the MTV Video Music Awards in New York to present an award. Despite the fact that they had recorded several new songs the previous summer (two of which would appear on their forthcoming Best Of: Vol. 1 collection), the reunion was short-lived -- Eddie and Roth got into a near fist fight backstage on the night of the awards show, as relations soured once again when it became known that Van Halen tricked Roth into thinking that he was back in the band (meanwhile, they had secretly hired ex-Extreme singer Gary Cherone a few months prior).

Undeterred, Roth penned a tell-all biography, 1997's Crazy From the Heat, and issued his best solo album in years, 1998's back-to-basics DLR Band. When Cherone was dismissed from Van Halen in 1999 after only a single album (the horrific Van Halen III), rumors began swirling once again about a possible Roth/Van Halen reunion. With both camps keeping things very hush-hush, Roth finally broke the silence in April of 2001, issuing a statement on his website that he and his former Van Halen bandmates had indeed regrouped the previous year in the recording studio, but that he hadn't heard back from them in months. Barely a week later, Eddie Van Halen went public with the fact that he was diagnosed with cancer. ~ Greg Prato, All Music Guide

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:08 AM
This is the part that interested me:

"By 1996, Van Halen had parted ways with Hagar, leading to an onslaught of rumors that a Roth/Van Halen reunion was in the works. The rumor appeared to become reality on September 4, 1996, when Van Halen and Roth appeared together at the MTV Video Music Awards in New York to present an award. Despite the fact that they had recorded several new songs the previous summer (two of which would appear on their forthcoming Best Of: Vol. 1 collection), "

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Could there have been more than "CGTSNM and MWM" from 96 ??

lms2
10-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Panamark... there is nothing in the vaults... :D

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Sounds like theres at least half a fookin album floating around
that we havent heard !!!

lms2
10-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Yet. Never say Never! (until at least age 85, just say not yet)

lms2
10-03-2004, 06:46 AM
I just hope that when we do hear it, its in Dave's voice, and not some crap put out with that cheap imitation they have been known to use.

Panamark
10-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Ed and Al's backup insurance ???

Igosplut
10-03-2004, 07:26 AM
I think they "backed up through the pot hole" one two many times......

Seshmeister
10-03-2004, 12:02 PM
You have to realise that many of the people at this website know far more about DLR/VH than some journalist guy.

Terry
10-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Could there have been more than "CGTSNM and MWM" from 96 ??

Wouldn't astound me. Could be some intersting demos from 2000 for all we know. Can't rely on the Van Halens to tell us the truth, obviously. But unless we're gonna get a chance to hear it, it's a moot point.

Roth & Roll
10-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Fear not, when the Lying Dutchmen are broke and destitute, and unable to pull off another bogus Van Hagar tour because Sammy has to go for quadruple bypass surgery, Eddie has to have his teeth, gums and throat removed due to a relapse of oral cancer, then and ONLY then will the Lying Dutchmen miraculously "rediscover" all the unreleased Classic VH in the vaults - and cash in on it while probably trying to scam Dave out of royalties.

rustoffa
10-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Hope they aren't stashed away in the bowels of 5150....Ed mighta filed 'em under "Jackyl" out takes.
:D

moose
10-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Just like IMS2 stated "never say never". All I know is that I'm enjoying what Classic Van Halen has released and of course what the Army has provided for our enjoyment(unreleased, bootlegs)
Just think about this. If those guys can have a tune like "We Die Bold" in the vaults(great fuckin SONG) imagine the other stuff they have?
Fuckin bastards!

Kristy
10-03-2004, 07:46 PM
There was an interview conducted with Eddie about this some time ago (and I'll try to trace down in what magazine he said it in) where he claimed what was in the vaults were a lot of studio out-takes of just "shit" strictly him and Ted Templeton were working on - giving Eddie new ideas for sounds (i.e., various takes on solos, amp settings). I don't know if any songs per se were crafted out of them that Roth may have actually sung on. You may be listening to the rumor mill too much.

rustoffa
10-03-2004, 08:53 PM
They could make a million bucks if the ghost of John Peel wouldn't sue 'em!

Panamark
10-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Kristy
You may be listening to the rumor mill too much.

Not listening, just commenting on the above article which alludes
to the fact there was other songs..

As with everything Van Halen, just something else to speculate
about..

Panamark
10-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
You have to realise that many of the people at this website know far more about DLR/VH than some journalist guy.

I agree Sesh, however, if I see an article about Dave and Van Halen
that hasnt been posted previously, I will post it. Nice to see more
threads about Dave and original Van Halen as opposed to Sammy
and Van Hagar.

I found this article kinda interesting, as Ive never heard anyone
previously suggest there was anymore songs from 96.......
But as you rightly said, its most likely reporter ignorance. Yet
its interesting anyways.. A lot of the bio was factual.

I agree that most of us know more !!

spmusicplyr
10-04-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Sounds like theres at least half a fookin album floating around
that we havent heard !!!

i remember reading something eddie said, and damn i cant remember where.

something like, "There were 7 or 8 songs i had. Dave sat there, listened to them and picked the two that we thought was best for him to record, because dave hadnt sung in 7 months."....

theres probably half a dozen

Kristy
10-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Damn you, Panamark, I'm going to have to go through all the guitar magazines I saved (I don't play guitar but did work at an instrument music store at one time) for a friend of mine who wanted to learn some song transcriptions where I read that interview. I can vaguely remember Eddie saying what he and Dave did together is what you hear on record and that was mainly Templeton's idea of having that "live feel" (i.e., not much in the way of demos) with little overdubs. Then again, from what I read in these boards about Eddie, you know, how he talks out of both sides of his ass, it seems to be common sense not to take whatever he says too seriously.

I will search and hopefully find exactly what he said about songs that were recorded but never released for you.

Panamark
10-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Hey thanks Kristy !

Im sure everyone here would be interested in what you find out.

We all know theres at least three songs from 2000 (Hopefully its
not the three we just heard with Spammy, rehashed). Other
reports at the time had that at five !

If Eddie couldnt talk out his ass, he wouldnt have any form of
communication with the world.

moose
10-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
They could make a million bucks if the ghost of John Peel wouldn't sue 'em!

What does a DJ from the BBC have to do with this?:D

ROTHandRoll
10-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Scam Halen will live to see another day of fan-fucking w/ these tapes. By that time, I'll be in a retirement home and Wolfgang will be pedaling these tapes in hopes of funding his weight-watchers/drug rehab program.

rustoffa
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by moose
What does a DJ from the BBC have to do with this?:D

LMMFAO!
Bit of a stretch eh?

RogueHorseman
10-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
i remember reading something eddie said, and damn i cant remember where.

something like, "There were 7 or 8 songs i had. Dave sat there, listened to them and picked the two that we thought was best for him to record, because dave hadnt sung in 7 months."....

theres probably half a dozen

That is what I remember also, but like you can't recall exactly where.

lms2
10-04-2004, 11:13 PM
But all that is irrelevant because Eddie can't fakin play the guitar anymore...

lms2
10-04-2004, 11:14 PM
and, well.... hell. Dave never could remember the words.

Bad Muthafucker
10-05-2004, 01:25 PM
i've heard that there was at least one other track....SHIT! FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN'T REMEMBER THE TITLE OF IT!!! but i know i read about it. eventually, after they hired Gay Cherone, they took the track, removed Dave's vocals, re-wrote new ones, and it became a B-side entitled "That's Why I Love You." anyone else remember that? i've heard the track...pretty dorky...they must have re-wrote some of the music also before they released it with Cherone singing. i just can't remember what the title of that song was when it was with Dave. if i remember what it was called with Dave, i'll post it.

BITEYOASS
10-05-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm just praying that Van Hagar winds up so broke on this tour, that they'll wind up selling the rights to those unreleased recordings and demos to Dave in order to break even!!!! :D

moose
10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
LMMFAO!
Bit of a stretch eh?

Crazy ASS MOFO!

Vanstonica
10-05-2004, 04:45 PM
I also rememeber the comment about the 7-8 songs that Dave chose from. It was in Guitar magazine from back in 1997, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm in agreeance that the vault is bare, though. As I've said before...if there was anything useful in the vault, VH wouldn't be putting out albums with only 2 or 3 original tracks...They'd be jamming with full-length albums every other year or so.

Eeither Ed's just really, REALLY fucking lazy, or the vault is dry. Maybe both.

lms2
10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Or maybe Eddie is just that stupid that he is unable to recognize "quality" when he hears it.

Big Troubles
10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

and ironically off subject, ALOT of people on this website pretend to know alot about Classic VH and Dave, when in fact they spend most of their adulthood smelling the shit on their fingers after wiping. :D

Roth-Halen
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey BT, hAVE YOU SEEN THIS THREAD?

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11228

lms2
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Which correlates to Van Hagar and not classic Van Halen, but hey, when you smell shit all day, it messes with your brain. They couldn't be in a better place to get straightened out.

Bad Muthafucker
10-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bad_muthafucker
i've heard that there was at least one other track....SHIT! FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN'T REMEMBER THE TITLE OF IT!!! but i know i read about it. eventually, after they hired Gay Cherone, they took the track, removed Dave's vocals, re-wrote new ones, and it became a B-side entitled "That's Why I Love You." anyone else remember that? i've heard the track...pretty dorky...they must have re-wrote some of the music also before they released it with Cherone singing. i just can't remember what the title of that song was when it was with Dave. if i remember what it was called with Dave, i'll post it.

i FINALLY remembered it....it was called "Blood From A Stone", or at least that's what the rumor was. then the sisters re-named it "That's Why I Love You." AWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEE. isn't that just sweeeeeet?