X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vai7
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Oct 2004

Gunslingers

Who do you like the best? Eddie Van Halen or Steve vai?
    Who is the best player? Why?
    If you don`t have a goal in life HELLYA welcome to the club sit down and have a beer...
  • badhorsie

I enjoy both players ALOT but how can you really compare another persons art to another?

No one is the "best" player everyone likes who they like.

Comment

• David Van Via
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by badhorsie
      I enjoy both players ALOT but how can you really compare another persons art to another?

No one is the "best" player everyone likes who they like.
      How True.

Originally posted by Vai7
      You also can't ask that question without extending it, if you mean who's better NOW I would say Steve Vai, sheerly for the reason Eddie has gone downhill. But if you mean in there primes I would say EVH for all that he did for guitsring as a whole.
      Rumour has it that Van Halen have continued in recent years with a new lead signer, but since there 1985 breakup, nobody involved has ever recaptured that spontaneous cheeseburger magic!

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Steve Vai is one of those guitarists that Im in awe of.
        But I dont listen to him on a regular basis, like Yngwie,
        he is a brilliant guitarist, but I dont really like his songs.

Ed with Dave.

But Steve over Ed with (Ga y and Spammy)
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Don Corleone
          Veteran
          • May 2004

I've never really been a big Steve Vai fan. Technically the guy is spectacular, but for me his playing has always been lacking any emotion or feeling.

Saying that at this minute in time he would do to Ed what Al Neri did to Fredo when they went fishing.
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

In his prime, EVH had very few peers. Now, I'd take Rory Gallagher over EVH. And yes, Rory is dead. And he is STILL playing better than EVH at the moment.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

Comment

• sambo
              Sniper
              • Jun 2004

In his day, Eddie. He had more feel and more raw agression to his playing - a young guy with something to prove and enjoy. I don't even want to comment on Eddie now.

I am a huge fan of Vai, especially his Zappa / EEAS work but I feel he is too technical to watch / listen to for any length of time. I saw him (for the second time now) in Australia w/ Sheehan recently and I had to leave every 30 mins or so as it just did my head in... so precise, hardly a bum note, but lacked a bit of feel and although a guitarist myself, it was a bit intense. But hey that's just me..different strokes...

I also have 2 G3 CDs and Satch seems to have Vai's measure on both groove and tone. Satch has a such a natural groove that Vai, IMO, seems to miss on occasions. Eric Johnson, on the first G3 DVD also just oozes class.

but Vai can just do some amazing shit on the guitar...and he does make my jaw drop... then again I've seen Satch live as well and he does the same.

My opinion, Eddie pre 1985, Satriani now.. Although I can put on any of the Big 6 and lean towards Eddie every time.
              Last edited by sambo; 10-05-2004, 02:48 AM.
              Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Sometimes too much is too little.
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Re: Gunslingers

Actually, I prefer players like Brian May, Scott Gorham, Brian "Robbo" Robertson and/or Michael Schenker.

But in terms of which one shaped my playing style/started my search for the ultimate tone: Eddie. Steve's OK, but he's a bit hyper for my taste...
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Schenker

Hendrix

Period

Comment

• monkeythe
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Apr 2004

I didn't really know about the greatness of Vai until I saw DAve on the Skyscraper tour. I caught it a few weeks after I saw Ed on the Monstocity of Rock Tour and I must say that Vai performed the Roth era songs much better.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people think that Vai can only shred and play with no emotion. If anything, playing without a singer forces the guitarist to supply the emotion the singer would. In addition, the singer tells you what to feel while the guitarist must make you feel the song without this benefit.

I would recommend that anyone that feels that Vai's music havs no emotion to pick up a copy of the 7th Song album.

Comment

• pete
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by monkeythe
                        I didn't really know about the greatness of Vai until I saw DAve on the Skyscraper tour. I caught it a few weeks after I saw Ed on the Monstocity of Rock Tour and I must say that Vai performed the Roth era songs much better.

I don't like the fact that a lot of people think that Vai can only shred and play with no emotion. If anything, playing without a singer forces the guitarist to supply the emotion the singer would. In addition, the singer tells you what to feel while the guitarist must make you feel the song without this benefit.

I would recommend that anyone that feels that Vai's music havs no emotion to pick up a copy of the 7th Song album.
                        Thanks

Vai is the best guitarist alive.

His sound pallette is so broad he can conjure up emotions people never imagined. He can make a guitar puke.

There would be no Vai without EVH. But as a guitarist, he took it much further.

Comment

• badhorsie

Vai fucking rules plain and simple.

What a brilliant composer .

Comment

• Hecubus
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jan 2004

Not necessarily in this order....
                            "Honey, my shirt got itself torn up. My shirt tore itself on that stripper's hand, and I need it to be sewed up for the show."
                            "No problem, Dave, no problem. Say hello to Fluffy."
                            "Fuck you, Fluffy."
                            "No, no, you're going to upset Fluffy."
                            "I ain't saying hello to no stuffed bear."
                            "You know, now that I think about it, it's going to take a little longer to sew up that shirt than I was thinking."
                            "Hi Fluffy, how you been?"
                            "Now that I'm thinking of it even more, it's going to take half the time, Double D, Diamond Dave! Would you hold Fluffy?"
                            "N--- yeah."

Comment

• Hecubus
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2004

"Honey, my shirt got itself torn up. My shirt tore itself on that stripper's hand, and I need it to be sewed up for the show."
                              "No problem, Dave, no problem. Say hello to Fluffy."
                              "Fuck you, Fluffy."
                              "No, no, you're going to upset Fluffy."
                              "I ain't saying hello to no stuffed bear."
                              "You know, now that I think about it, it's going to take a little longer to sew up that shirt than I was thinking."
                              "Hi Fluffy, how you been?"
                              "Now that I'm thinking of it even more, it's going to take half the time, Double D, Diamond Dave! Would you hold Fluffy?"
                              "N--- yeah."

Comment

Working...