X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McCarrens
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2004

Teacher fired over presidential photo

This is from http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WAB...lteacher.html.

You might say it is a symbol of the Great American Divide, a teacher putting up a picture of President Bush in the classroom. Some say it is partisanship while others say it is patriotism.

Rita Bianco, Parent: "Children should know their president and their first lady!"

Parents expressing outrage after a teacher is kicked out of her public school for hanging a picture of President Bush next to pictures of other presidents in her classroom.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "It happened on a small bulletin board near the American flag and also with a poster of the Declaration of Independence."

This is Crossroads South Middle School in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey. On Thursday, there was a back-to-school night for parents of students. Veteran English teacher Shiba Pillai-Diaz says she was shocked when three parents confronted her. The three, insisting the teacher either add John Kerry's photo to the montage of presidents or remove the Bush photo. When Pillai-Diaz refused, she says the school's vice-principal threatened her job which is an act that has parents here fuming.

Paula Sjolund, Parent: "She didn't do anything wrong, and I think that it should have stayed up there."

Pillai-Diaz ultimately removed the entire bulletin board and says School Principal Jim Warfel told her she disrupted the school with her "inflammatory politics". She says he then ordered her out of the building. While she says she is a Bush supporter in her personal life, Pillai-Diaz says she keeps politics out of the classroom.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "There was no political intent, nor was there any political content in that photograph nor on the bulletin board."

School officials would not talk on camera but insist nobody here has been fired. To that, Ms. Pillai-Diaz asks what does it mean then when your boss asks you to hand over the keys and kicks you out of the building? She also says she is not sure if she'll be returning to school tomorrow.

She added another president to a no doubt-dated piece of classroom material. Why is there such a hub-bub about this? Do liberals not want Bush to ever be recognized as president? Kerry is not president yet, he should not be on the list. It would be like putting Walter Mondale or Bob Dole up there.
    "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Bullshit in it's purest form. Idiot principal, certainly idiot parents and a whole system of knuckling under to PC politics....BULLLLLLLLLSHITTTTTT....

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

I'm a DEMOCRAT, and that is COMPLETE BULLSHIT!!! PRESIDENT BUSH, not President Kerry. The pictures on the wall were of PRESIDENTS!!!! Fucking idiotic people. There should be an I.Q. test before people vote. She should have told the parents & the principal to "FUCK OFF!!!"

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Key here is the context. If there's a montage, or whatever, of a succession of presidents from George Washington up to Bill Clinton already posted, then it would be reasonable to add Junior on to that list. However, just a picture of Junior himself, and you have to question the timing of it.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• diamondsgirl
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2004

The principal needs to grow a pair!!!
          “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• McCarrens
            Foot Soldier
            • May 2004

Succesion of posts or no, it is not like this teacher was trying to influence voters. These are middle school students.
            "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The real irony here is that if a poster or picture of presidents with Junior included isn't already posted in the school, it's probably because the schools didn't have the money to buy one - thanks to Junior
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Commando
                • Mar 2004

Total horse shit. But, she won't be fired, the teacher's union would crucify this principal, even though they support Kerry. I'm not all that suprised. When I was teaching the administration TOLD us that they'd always back up the parent, not us.

FORD - the $$ comment is nonsense. Education has had huge funding boosts under Bush.

Comment

• McCarrens
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2004

Thanks for pointing that out Schultz. You beat me to it.

Just as a side note, I have been a longtime reader of this forum and was waiting for a place to jump in. I felt this was a good post to start off my career here at the Roth Army political forum.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                    However, just a picture of Junior himself, and you have to question the timing of it.

The teacher put up a picture of President Bush next to pictures of other presidents in her classroom...

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Even if she didn't, it DOES NOT CHANGE A THING. She said it herself "the kids ought to know who their president is". End of story. If that changes in a few months, so be it. Will they complain then if Kerry is elected and only HIS picture is up for the same purpose? FUCK them for playing games with their kids...they really should be ashamed.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        The teacher put up a picture of President Bush next to pictures of other presidents in her classroom...
                        OK, but again, the context is the key. For example, what if the pictures displayed looked kinda like this....

Then, would you agree that bias was clearly involved?

( Inclusion of 3 Presidents rather than 42 in the above example was done for illustrative purposes only and was not meant as an exclusion of any of the other old dead dudes)
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                          Even if she didn't, it DOES NOT CHANGE A THING. She said it herself "the kids ought to know who their president is". End of story.
                          OK, then by all means, post the picture of the legally elected President of the United States.....
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Take your medicine...

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Take your medicine...
                              Got the phone number of that Israeli pharmaceutical company?
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...